PDA

View Full Version : campy question

chrisroph
05-12-2004, 04:23 PM
I can't find anyone who knows the answer to the following question so I thought I would try here among the sage and experienced afficianados. I have two pair of pre 1992 campy 8 speed cassette tubular wheels. One is a Shamal and one is an old record hub laced to a nice straight old mavic wheel. The hubs use cups and cones and steel axles. Is it possible to convert the wheels to 10 speed? Thanks in advance!

BdaGhisallo
05-12-2004, 04:42 PM
I don't know the answer but I do know that if anyone will know it will be Tim Brockett at Branford Bike. Call him and he will set you straight. He seems like the true authority.

terry
05-12-2004, 04:54 PM
brocket's the man but in my experience, campy 8v Bora's, the answer was NO and man was i bummed.

Tony Prioli
05-13-2004, 07:26 AM
Here is why I think so. When the 9 speed hubs came out, I had a few customers who wanted to do the same. Campy had a freewheel body listed to make this conversion. But no one had it in stock. Even campy usa. I tried for about 2 years to locate the part back then. Just on, and off trying all the distributors. Maybe if you found an early 9 speed hub with similiar axle, you could rob the parts, but I have never been able to make the switch. I would suggest calling campy usa, speak to Dave Thile. Ask for a used shamal hub for 10 speed. Then relace the wheel.

Tony

zap
05-13-2004, 09:30 AM
You might want to try Cycle Dynamics. They do have conversion kits but not sure if they go back to '92 hubs.

For those that are interested, Cycle Dynamics does offer 10 speed all Ti cassettes for current hubs. Greater varity than what Campy currently offers. Price I've seen is around $185.

Spectrum Bob
05-13-2004, 10:08 AM
A local shop converted my Vitus from Record 8 to 9 by changing the free hub body, rebuilding the shifter and adding the 9th click (or what ever it was to allow it to shift 9 gears, sometimes I can be so technical), 9 speed chain and changed the jockey wheels and screws on the rear derailleur.
It has worked perfectly ever since.
Now I am not sure if it was a special free hub body or not?
I even think it should accept a 10 speed cog set.
Spectrum Bob