PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather riding - how far into the ride do you know you dressed right?

NHAero
02-15-2020, 05:12 PM
Today's ride was low 20Fs. I added a layer throughout to my 30-35F kit:

- Rapha long sleeve base layer, old LL Bean polypro layer, breathable pile jacket, Izumi wind jacket
- lycra tights underlayer, slightly heavier cycling tights top layer
- Ibex wool liner gloves in my new Castelli Estremo gloves
- Luck shoes with neoprene booties

I stayed warm the whole ride, set-up worked really well, and hardly any sweating (I might ride a little easier when it's cold). How far into the ride do you need to go before you know your kit is appropriate to the temps and wind? Do you bring extra layers just in case?

Jaybee
02-15-2020, 05:14 PM
If I’m not a little cold for the first 10 minutes, I’ve got too much on.

fmradio516
02-15-2020, 05:23 PM
I didnt ride for long; just testing riding around the block a few times, but I wore a DHB merino baselayer top and my new Gore Shakedry 1985 jacket and WOW. I was completely comfortable when I walked out into the 20F air. and never felt like I was going to overheat(i was going hard, but yeah, I didnt ride for more than 15mins). That jacket rules. If it goes on sale again(it was $150 vs MSRP $300) i highly recommend it. Very breathable.

FlashUNC
02-15-2020, 05:35 PM

This. If the first few minutes aren't a little uncomfortable while you come up to temp, you'll overheat once the real work starts.

stev0
02-15-2020, 05:36 PM
If I'm dressed too warmly, I usually figure it out in the first 10-15 minutes or so. If I'm not dressed warmly enough, sometimes it takes a while to figure it out.. :confused:

fa63
02-15-2020, 05:44 PM

This is typically how I plan as well. It didn't work today however; I was cold the first 10 minutes, then remained cold the rest of the ride. I didn't account for the wind properly...

mass_biker
02-15-2020, 05:45 PM
For me - rarely about the core.

Although keeping the core warm (wool base layers - IBEX et al.) seems to do the trick. If you neglect that, the rest of you suffers.

From 20+ years of riding (and when I was younger/faster/more
OCD - training for racing) in New England, I find the limiting factor is fingers. And maybe I've gotten softer as I get older.

Any suggestions?

I've resorted to riding with a thermal gilet with multiple pockets and multiple glove. No matter what happens, my fingers typically send me home. So I may start with thermal glove #1, have another glove #2 in the pocket. Oh, and start ride with a heat pack in my glove.

Sad but true.

Peter P.
02-15-2020, 05:49 PM
From decades of experience, I know when I step outside before I even straddle the bike, whether I'm dressed for the temps. I never carry extra clothing. I want to feel just on the cool side when I first step outside.

It's amazing what adding a second base layer, or a second pair of tights, will do to improve comfort in cold temps.

In cold weather, I would prefer to be too warm than too cold.

NHAero
02-15-2020, 05:53 PM
Fingers true for me too. The liner gloves did the trick today, vs. the bare Castelli Estremos.

In my winter hiking days, I carried at least four pairs of handwear. Two liner sets, in case one got damp, one set of 'normal' winter gloves, and a set of bomber, work in super cold temps, gloves in case my hands were getting cold. And always wore liners, so if I needed some manual dexterity I could take the gloves off for a minute and never have bare skin.

Oh, and today I added a light balaclava to the Ibex wool cap, to get some neck protection and a bit more insulation around my head.

Although keeping the core warm (wool base layers - IBEX et al.) seems to do the trick. If you neglect that, the rest of you suffers.

OCD - training for racing) in New England, I find the limiting factor is fingers. And maybe I've gotten softer as I get older.

Any suggestions?

I've resorted to riding with a thermal gilet with multiple pockets and multiple glove. No matter what happens, my fingers typically send me home. So I may start with thermal glove #1, have another glove #2 in the pocket. Oh, and start ride with a heat pack in my glove.

Sad but true.

Jaybee
02-15-2020, 06:12 PM
This is typically how I plan as well. It didn't work today however; I was cold the first 10 minutes, then remained cold the rest of the ride. I didn't account for the wind properly...

I sometimes do this too. If i think I might be in the shade for a long time or have a big descent or long stop planned I'll usually pack an extra wind layer. Unless it's 25 or below, and then I've already got a Gore softshell on that is pretty solid with the right layers down to 10.

sokyroadie
02-15-2020, 06:16 PM
My rule of thumb - walk outside in shorts and tee shirt- if I am cold go back in the house.😎 Actually this is not far from the truth. I used to ride in the winter, but at age 65 if it’s not in the 50’s forget it.

Tony T
02-15-2020, 07:29 PM
20°, how do you keep you water bottle from freezing ;)

NHAero
02-15-2020, 07:36 PM
I use a Camelback. Either snake the line inside yr clothes when not drinking, or blow the water back into the bladder. Not optimal but it works!

Tony T
02-15-2020, 07:42 PM
My hat (cap) off to you, that’s some seriously cold weather (and that’s without the wind chill effect). I won’t ride until the mercury hits 50°

joosttx
02-15-2020, 08:07 PM
A buddy was wearing this the other day.

https://www.ororowear.com/products/men-heated-vest-black

b3pkay
02-15-2020, 08:36 PM
There's almost nothing I can do to keep my toes warm under 32*f. Tried toe warmers last Sunday as the temps dropped to 25 and was miserable. The warmers are warm when I put them on and once I get home and take them off, but cool to the touch when out on a ride. Too little oxygen maybe? If I could keep my toes warm, I'd ride through mid 20s temps.

alwayssnacking
02-16-2020, 01:12 AM
i always go for uncomfortable out the door. i tend to run warm and if i layer too much i am miserable for the rest of the ride.

mbrtool
02-16-2020, 07:07 AM
@b3pkay

45nrth wolvhammers do the trick for me.

Ray

R3awak3n
02-16-2020, 07:12 AM
I hate being cold so I usually over dress and pay for it later. But I will not change because being cold is the worst. I will finish my ride if I am too hot but I will turn right back if I am too cold.

Weather right now is very strange over here, not to bad to super cold over night. I have been doing my rides inside (I have been sick too so easy rides on the trainer).

laupsi
02-16-2020, 07:41 AM
Today's ride was low 20Fs. I added a layer throughout to my 30-35F kit:

- Rapha long sleeve base layer, old LL Bean polypro layer, breathable pile jacket, Izumi wind jacket
- lycra tights underlayer, slightly heavier cycling tights top layer
- Ibex wool liner gloves in my new Castelli Estremo gloves
- Luck shoes with neoprene booties

I stayed warm the whole ride, set-up worked really well, and hardly any sweating (I might ride a little easier when it's cold). How far into the ride do you need to go before you know your kit is appropriate to the temps and wind? Do you bring extra layers just in case?

Don’t want to sound like “a know it all”, so I’ll preface by saying, you were way overdressed for “My Standards”. Extremities are key, but various ways to ensure against heat loss. I too prefer to start cool, making sure hands/feet are well “covered”. Only items I double up on are wool socks, thinner the better, and gloves. Keeping neck/head covered is key, lots of heat loss in both areas. One issue not discussed is pace or effort; if it’s at or below freezing, effort needs to be considered along w/length of time outdoors. Shorter durations can be accomplished at lower intensities, blood flow to extremities not as critical. On durations lasting more than 2 hrs, feet/hands will get cold regardless, keeping intensity level up prolongs numbness and pain, but it takes determination and moxie.

One of my most valuable clothing items is the short sleeve vest, doesn’t need to be thermal. Provides an added layer on upper body, w/out the potential for over heating. Also, if it’s below freezing I find wearing bib shorts in combination w/bib tights, w/out shammy, provides added protection on lower body/core. I’ve never doubled up on tights.

Over layering, over dressing for me is right up there w/getting cold. Outdoor training becomes inefficient, overheating causes too much moisture and eventual discomfort, wasting valuable time when getting outdoors in winter weather is at a premium.

Hilltopperny
02-16-2020, 08:45 AM
Usually a Rapha wind block winter jersey will suffice with some merino gloves and winter tights. If it is below 25 Fahrenheit I will wear insulated neoprene gloves over the merino, an extra set of tights and a Rapha insulated vest. I tend to wear my winter shoes all season and have a couple of different hats depending on the amount of sun, wind or other elements I may encounter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vincenz
02-16-2020, 08:51 AM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200216/372df6492268c845f0afe0e147fc3c9e.jpg

I was pretty thirsty yesterday [emoji2960]

I usually bring a thermos out that fits in the bottle cage, but the cages I have on this one bike are too wide so I need to find a new thermos or hack up a way to widen mine.

Hilltopperny
02-16-2020, 08:53 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200216/372df6492268c845f0afe0e147fc3c9e.jpg

I was pretty thirsty yesterday [emoji2960]

I usually bring a thermos out that fits in the bottle cage, but the cages I have on this one bike are too wide so I need to find a new thermos or hack up a way to widen mine.

I have wrapped up a thermos with a small towel so it was snug enough to fit.

pdmtong
02-16-2020, 09:47 AM
Yesterday I wore bib shorts and short sleeve jersey over a sleeveless base layer. About five minutes I felt a bit cold so I put my arm warmers on. Perfect.

Lucky don’t have to face 20d here

lhuerta
02-16-2020, 10:15 AM
Over layering, over dressing for me is right up there w/getting cold. Outdoor training becomes inefficient, overheating causes too much moisture and eventual discomfort, wasting valuable time when getting outdoors in winter weather is at a premium.

This ^^^ ....I agree...aim to invest in gear that doesn’t demand layers. Too many layers simply capture too much moisture and initially make u too hot and then an hour in to ur ride u r freezing cuz the moisture is not evaporating. Good winter gear should have a windstopper-type fabric on all front panels and a breathable/evaporating fabric on back panels (brushed roubaix-type fabric works great on back).... both for tops and bottoms. For example, in 20-35 degree weather I will use a Craft wind block undershirt and an Assos 851 jacket on top, nothing else. Below 20 degrees I usually just switch to FugaJack Assos and the same Craft windblock undershirt. For tights, all my winter tights are sans chamios with windblock panels on front, and I only wear shorts under tights.

For extremities, I swear by lobster type mittens over a single layer merino liner...took me a while to go with lobster mitts...they work!! And on my feet I avoid neoprene (again, too sweaty) and instead use wind stopper fabric with medium merino sock.lou

vincenz
02-16-2020, 11:07 AM
I have wrapped up a thermos with a small towel so it was snug enough to fit.

Simple is good and cheap [emoji106]

scoobydrew
02-16-2020, 12:34 PM

This seems to work for me too.

Fortunately there's no shortage of hills around here to help warm up.

Jere
02-17-2020, 12:00 AM

Any suggestions?

Sad but true.

Hi
I’m a 60 plus guy who rides in the cold and have hand / feet problems with cold.
I know this will sound funny but after spending hundreds and hundreds of bucks on gloves and shoes booties.
I wear latex gloves under my gloves , it keeps my gloves dry and works great for hours.
My feet super thin wool socks , plastic bag and thin wool.
Of course covers or insulated shoes.
If your like me your feet get swampy after a few hours but not cold.
Signed
Grumpy Old Man

chiasticon
02-17-2020, 09:18 AM
generally I know when I walk out the door if I'm dressed right. want to be just a little bit cold. but also, having ridden enough in the cold, I usually know what to wear just by looking at the temp/wind conditions.

Johnnysmooth
02-17-2020, 09:55 AM

Ditto
Also, as a 60+ rider, extremities get colder easier thus really focus on keeping core and head nice and toasty. If they're good, those extremities are pretty comfortable as well