PDA

View Full Version : Race into a massive Head Wind!

Black Dog
02-15-2020, 09:57 AM
You think that you have ridden into some massive head winds. Try racing into these!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMinwf-kRlA&feature=youtu.be&app=desktop

Cornfed
02-15-2020, 11:22 AM
This should be the mandatory punishment for texting and driving.

robt57
02-15-2020, 11:29 AM
This should be the mandatory punishment for texting and driving.

"This should be the mandatory punishment for texting and driving."

Yeah, you should should have to break the hour record in that headwind. ;)

rustychisel
02-15-2020, 05:01 PM
Ah, human endeavour and hubris. "Here, the tide is ruled..."

How long until that inscription is erased?

smead
02-15-2020, 05:58 PM
I used to ride up to my parents house in the north end of the Sacramento valley. For those who know the area's weather, there can be days following a storm when the north winds blow 20-40 straight down the valley with much higher gusts. The first time I did this ride, I was in great shape so thought I'd do it fixed - it is a pancake flat 135 mile route straight north. It was mid-Nov, days getting short, and cold. Night before I did see the north wind would be blowing, so left a little earlier (first light without lights). Figured it'd take 8 hours on a calm day. By 7am, the winds were 10-20, and my speed soon dropped to single digits. By mile 40, I had a constant 30+ headwind, gusts over 50, with almost 100 miles to go. The entire day was pretty much out of the saddle pushing a 78 inch gear into the wind cannon. Just crazy, like climbing a 10% grade all day. I arrived just before dark completely exhausted, took 2 days to recover, then got sick as a dog for a month after that. Did that ride many times in the ensuing years, but never on days with north wind!

PeterB could also share a story about the 2009 Furnace creek hurricane ...

redir
02-16-2020, 09:45 AM
Just spoke to a Dutch friend of mine who said the race was cancelled last week because of fierce wind. What happened to rule #5? :D