PDA

View Full Version : Open letter to baseball from pro cycling

HenryA
02-14-2020, 06:52 PM
https://www.wsj.com/articles/an-open-letter-to-baseball-from-professional-cycling-11581681602?mod=hp_major_pos7

Sorry its probably behind a paywall, but I have heard if you search google uk you might find an open link.

“The author of this open letter to baseball is Jonathan Vaughters, a former professional cyclist on teams including the United States Postal Service with Lance Armstrong, who admitted to doping in 2012. The co-founder and manager of the EF Pro Cycling team, he is a leading anti-doping advocate and the author of the 2019 book “One Way Ticket: Nine Lives on Two Wheels.”

Paris, France

To: Major League Baseball
New York, New York

Dear Baseball,

Greetings from across the Atlantic! I’ve heard you’re killing it as America’s pastime. That’s great. So proud of you.....”

e-RICHIE
02-14-2020, 07:00 PM
I read it through Google UK.

Here’s the only part of Vaughters’ confession that matters:

“I lied and lied...and lied.”

He should take a two century timeout from sports according to my opinion.

cash05458
02-14-2020, 07:07 PM
would someone mind copying it and putting it up? Would like to read...

e-RICHIE
02-14-2020, 07:19 PM
would someone mind copying it and putting it up? Would like to read...

Google Google UK.
Add Vaughters + WSJ to taskbar.
Read article.

cash05458
02-14-2020, 07:27 PM
Google Google UK.
Add Vaughters + WSJ to taskbar.
Read article.

Thanks Richard...didnt work for me...maybe others....

cash05458
02-14-2020, 07:36 PM
.J.V. shouldn't talk really about clean sports...read his book...it kinda comes down to the only former drunks can run dry out clinics line...or ex hookers can keep young girls away from prostitution...blah blah blah...he has this weird moral line on this stuff which reminds me of old jimmy swaggert...who better to preach about sin than the sinner etc...so give me money...it ain't a well developed moral philosophy that is for sure...he really ought to leave the clean team moral crap outta his ventures...do real estate or something....much less confusing...

e-RICHIE
02-14-2020, 07:37 PM
Thanks Richard...didnt work for me...maybe others....

Go here: https://www.google.co.uk/

Search Vaughters + Wall Street Journal

Tony T
02-14-2020, 09:09 PM
Go here: https://www.google.co.uk/

Search Vaughters + Wall Street Journal

Not working for me, paywall

robin3mj
02-14-2020, 09:25 PM
Pardon my french, but fck that guy.

There is no such thing as a reformed cheater, only someone who know where their bread should appear to be buttered this particular day of the week.

Regardless of Mr. Sideburns opinion, the Astros have not seen the end of the consequences of their actions.

marciero
02-15-2020, 04:26 AM
I used to like JV back in the day, before he reinvented himself as a doping crusader. The Jimmy Swaggert comparison is apt, but without the (albeit fake) humility. The pretension and self-importance wears thin after a while.

Jef58
02-15-2020, 05:43 AM
.J.V. shouldn't talk really about clean sports...read his book...it kinda comes down to the only former drunks can run dry out clinics line...or ex hookers can keep young girls away from prostitution...blah blah blah...he has this weird moral line on this stuff which reminds me of old jimmy swaggert...who better to preach about sin than the sinner etc...so give me money...it ain't a well developed moral philosophy that is for sure...he really ought to leave the clean team moral crap outta his ventures...do real estate or something....much less confusing...

I agree 100%. Public figures like him or any other that fell from grace have a tendency to lecture decent people about morals. That said, JV as a real estate agent, would you buy a house from him..??:rolleyes:

peanutgallery
02-15-2020, 06:26 AM
The ironic thing is that he could be accused of currently ruining a sport all by his lonesome. Taking a band of misfit europros and going gravel "racing" at participation events in the US

My dad always told me to never trust anyone who dresses like an English fop

saab2000
02-15-2020, 06:32 AM
The ironic thing is that he could be accused of currently ruining a sport all by his lonesome. Taking a band of misfit europros and going gravel "racing" at participation events in the US

I am inclined to agree. Seems like the Astros going out to play ball with the local independent baseball teams.

When did JV become the voice of all of pro cycling? His shtick gets tiresome.

parco
02-15-2020, 08:45 AM
I fantasize about going to Astros games and 20,000 people banging on trashcan lids each time their pitcher waits for the sign.

unterhausen
02-15-2020, 08:51 AM
To do it right, you have to wait until after the pitcher has gotten the sign. Makes me wonder if part of the effectiveness was being startled by the noise. Maybe a cellphone app would work with enough people using it, since they probably wouldn't let you take a trash can lid into the park

Baseball had a well-publicized doping scandal of their own. They probably think they know how to get past something like this

Elefantino
02-15-2020, 08:56 AM
MLB should just go ahead and vacate the 2017 season. Vacate the division, pennant and World Series titles. And take away Altuve's MVP.

Tony T
02-15-2020, 09:00 AM
And also vacate the 1951 WS
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_Heard_%27Round_the_World_(baseball)#Sign_stea ling

“Whether the telescope-and-buzzer system contributed significantly to the Giants' late-season 37–7 win streak remains a subject of debate”

unterhausen
02-15-2020, 09:02 AM
the effectiveness of the trash can lid banging is pretty striking. They really should vacate some wins/titles

cash05458
02-15-2020, 09:12 AM
I fantasize about going to Astros games and 20,000 people banging on trashcan lids each time their pitcher waits for the sign.

^this is good really...lol...every time the crowd hits those lids free dog and a beer...win the series or a classic? free hat for everyone...

FlashUNC
02-15-2020, 09:47 AM
Altuve is gonna get a lot of bean balls this year.

PacNW2Ford
02-15-2020, 10:15 AM
Since the Astros have proven to be completely tone deaf, baseball needs a new rule. When the count gets to two strikes on an Astros hitter, the strike zone moves to the batter's box. This is fair, since they seem to think knowing what pitch is coming is so much fun. To put the icing on the cake, the pitcher can quote Gurriel in his press conference, "I meant it as a sign of respect".

Elefantino
02-15-2020, 10:39 AM
Altuve is gonna get a lot of bean balls this year.
Or at least lots of inside stuff, which he doesn't like.

cash05458
02-15-2020, 10:45 AM
free trash can lid day etc at the park for all fans...

PacNW2Ford
02-15-2020, 01:32 PM
He can’t really be this stupid: https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28708747/carlos-correa-says-astros-won-world-series-fair-square
We cheated all year, but we won the WS “fair and square”? Their “crisis management” strategy needs to take away his shovel.

FlashUNC
02-15-2020, 02:05 PM
Or at least lots of inside stuff, which he doesn't like.

Since the MLB declined to pursue player discipline, the players are going to take care of it themselves, and I worry it'll get ugly and someone's going to get hurt.

But yeah, whole team deserves a few bean balls.

PacNW2Ford
02-15-2020, 04:52 PM
The train wreck continues. This from Verlander: "The only way to regain respect is to win this season". Ummm, no, you're still missing the point. I respected Verlander because he was on record opposing the Astros trading for suspended for domestic violence Osuna, but it turns out he is just another swamp creature.

Who is going to be the "Astros' Official Supplier of Bubble Wrap"?

572cv
02-16-2020, 08:21 AM
Great marketing opportunity for Behrens Mfg of Winnona Minn.... trash can day at a home Twins game with the Houstonians. :rolleyes:

prototoast
02-16-2020, 08:43 AM
I think I have to disagree with Mr. Vaughters's basic premise, that cycling was made worse off by lying about and covering up doping. Certainly cycling has suffered for it, but what was the alternative? What if, in 2004, when Tyler Hamilton tested positive, he had immediately confessed, and then Lance and the USPS team confessed, followed by Ulrich, Vinokourov, Basso, and so on. Are we really to believe that would have been easier for cycling to recover from than a slow trickle of doping revelations and some stripped tdf wins a decade later?