PDA

View Full Version : Canada to US purchase - is there customs?

R3awak3n
02-13-2020, 06:51 PM
Looking to buy something from someone on craigslist. He is in Vancouver, Canada. I am wondering, am I going to get hit with customs on this?

ultraman6970
02-13-2020, 06:56 PM
If it was the opposite direction I would say like 99% yes... but canada here?... got little stuff from ebay from canada and never got hit with taxes.

Tell the guy to mark it as a gift 1st.. second who knows the value so you have to talk to him about it, what is it? a bike?

R3awak3n
02-13-2020, 07:12 PM
If it was the opposite direction I would say like 99% yes... but canada here?... got little stuff from ebay from canada and never got hit with taxes.

Tell the guy to mark it as a gift 1st.. second who knows the value so you have to talk to him about it, what is it? a bike?

not a bike but its a decent amount of money but still under $1000

AngryScientist
02-13-2020, 07:54 PM
i thought the rule was <800, no fees?

R3awak3n
02-13-2020, 07:59 PM
i thought the rule was <800, no fees?

I think from UK? I mean even from Europe I think its the same thing but I thought that was country specific. I know I never paid any duties from Europe if under $800 (bike parts and a nice coffee grinder) but I am not sure about Canada.

9tubes
02-13-2020, 08:18 PM
Good excuse to go ski at Whistler!

R3awak3n
02-13-2020, 08:22 PM
Good excuse to go ski at Whistler!

:banana::eek: if only I skied. But I have heard Whistler is amazing.

ricardinho
02-13-2020, 08:32 PM
From Canada to US no duties. Other way...for sure!

Looking to buy something from someone on craigslist. He is in Vancouver, Canada. I am wondering, am I going to get hit with customs on this?

R3awak3n
02-13-2020, 08:38 PM
/\ thank you.

Just came accross this site was well -

https://transferwise.com/us/import-duty/from-canada

Angry was right, under $800 should be no problem and this is under that amount.

acorn_user
02-13-2020, 09:31 PM
I got hit with a small amount of duty and a much larger amount of UPS fees when I received resprayed frames a few years ago. I think I would ask not to ship with UPS.

R3awak3n
02-13-2020, 09:44 PM
I got hit with a small amount of duty and a much larger amount of UPS fees when I received resprayed frames a few years ago. I think I would ask not to ship with UPS.

Good call. Read about this on some sites. Seller said he always ships normal mail.

sonicCows
02-13-2020, 09:52 PM

This. Bought a broken bike for parts which was boxed up as a bike. Got hit with UPS fees and customs for a bike, they didn't care that it was broken and for parts. Make sure you clarify with seller.

xnetter
02-13-2020, 11:22 PM
If you're willing to take the risk, you could ask the seller to list a zero or low value to eliminate the customs/duties. Sometimes listing a package as a gift still incurs duties.

For FedEx/UPS, you might still end up paying a flat brokerage fee.

This is all for US>Canada imports, possibly all moot in this case. I didn't know Americans don't pay that stuff on Canadian items. Like sheesh!

KJ

ultraman6970
02-13-2020, 11:38 PM
must be really special that u cant find it here???

R3awak3n
02-14-2020, 01:27 AM
must be really special that u cant find it here???

Not special at all, just a good deal

quattro
02-14-2020, 07:09 AM
Has anyone ordered a bicycle from the UK? What is the duty/tax into the US for a $7k - $8k complete bicycle? Could it be as high as 11%?

Thanks,
quattro

fignon's barber
02-14-2020, 07:21 AM
Not special at all, just a good deal

Do not have them ship FEDEX or UPS. They will try to charge you a brokerage fee of up to $200 for processing the paperwork to bring it into US (nothing to do with duties).

Davist
02-14-2020, 07:33 AM
Has anyone ordered a bicycle from the UK? What is the duty/tax into the US for a $7k - $8k complete bicycle? Could it be as high as 11%?

Thanks,
quattro

Not in that $$ range, but I bought a bike around $2k from chain reaction and (per their ad at the time) they paid all duties/fees, came via DHL from Belfast in 4 or 5 days, completely painless. I guess read the fine print, here's their link if your interested: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/staticcontent/postageInfoPage.jsp#customs

R3awak3n
02-14-2020, 07:46 AM
Do not have them ship FEDEX or UPS. They will try to charge you a brokerage fee of up to $200 for processing the paperwork to bring it into US (nothing to do with duties).

Thanks. If this goes through it will be sent by canadian mail

mulp
02-14-2020, 08:33 AM
Canada Post is the best, if the seller is willing to foot the bill on that then take it and run!

I just had a bike shipped from Canada and can confirm if less than $800, no duties or other fees. I had it shipped through Shipbikes (Fedex) and was not charged any additional fees either.

R3awak3n
02-14-2020, 08:41 AM
Canada Post is the best, if the seller is willing to foot the bill on that then take it and run!

I just had a bike shipped from Canada and can confirm if less than $800, no duties or other fees. I had it shipped through Shipbikes (Fedex) and was not charged any additional fees either.

that is good to know. Thank you.

merckxman
02-14-2020, 06:36 PM
I bought a frameset here on the forum from Canada that was shipped Canada Post to US...no duties.

d_douglas
02-14-2020, 11:00 PM
Why do Canadians get slammed on duties, but Americans don’t?

As my kids say: “it’s not fair!!”

m_sasso
02-15-2020, 03:35 AM

Ship to Blaine or Pt. Roberts, carry it across the border yourself, 5% on bicycles and parts, I wouldn't call that getting slammed.

pdonk
02-15-2020, 06:30 AM

We have to pay for our social safety net some how.

The tax and duty on my SV would have been enough to buy a higher end entry level bike.

Black Dog
02-15-2020, 10:12 AM
Ship to Blaine or Pt. Roberts, carry it across the border yourself, 5% on bicycles and parts, I wouldn't call that getting slammed.

5% that would be nice. I have been dinged full HST bringing bikes and parts from the USA back home. Most of the time I get waved through with no duty. Is the official duty really 5%?

m_sasso
02-15-2020, 01:38 PM
5% that would be nice. I have been dinged full HST bringing bikes and parts from the USA back home. Most of the time I get waved through with no duty. Is the official duty really 5%?

Yes, 5% on bicycles, bicycle parts and accessories, you got slammed if you payed more! I brought 22 packages home from Blaine, Washington Tuesday, including some pre-built Campagnolo wheels.

Black Dog
02-15-2020, 02:12 PM
Yes, 5% on bicycles, bicycle parts and accessories, you got slammed if you payed more! I brought 22 packages home from Blaine, Washington Tuesday, including some pre-built Campagnolo wheels.

Do you just have to remind the CBS agents of this?

pdonk
02-15-2020, 05:47 PM
Another option is depending on where the seller lives is to use a service like crossborder pickups. They have a flat shipping and processing fee of about $ 10 per package and they collect all taxes and duties. Makes things super easy.