PDA

View Full Version : Surly Pack Rat

AngryScientist
02-12-2020, 09:13 AM
New offering from Surly.

I'm glad they still keep a rim brake model alive, as that's probably better suited to a bunch of people with this bike's intended purpose.

could be the right bike for someone...

https://surlybikes.com/uploads/bikes/_medium_image/PackRat_BK7830-2000x1333.jpg

AngryScientist
02-12-2020, 09:16 AM
ok, so this was actually intoduced in 2017, but still - cool bike for the right purpose.

R3awak3n
02-12-2020, 09:21 AM
But its a surly so it probably weights more than a disc brake bike and with its weird geo will have people have to put a tower of spacers under the stem.

That said, I am glad some brands are keeping rim brake models. I really love that new canti crust with super lightweight tubing. I considered buying one but I am too heavy for it. Dunno how many they have sold but there seemed to be quite the demand and excitement on them.

Ralph
04-09-2020, 03:42 PM
I'm thinking about buying a Pack Rat frame. Put my parts on it. I like that wide front rack that's available with one of their large bags. There is a new "connector" trail being built by our house....connecting to two main long trails. it leads a few miles to a new grocery store, and from there there are bike lanes to the closest county library. These are places I go regularly.

The geo of the frame is kinda designed around the idea of decent handling with a load on front (groceries or books for me). So totally different geo than the Cross Check or their touring models, and has a longer head tube than Cross Check. Brake type for flat terrain riding means little to me. And not expensive enough to obsess over care of it. And the price is sure right!

Maybe a reward for getting rid of our 3rd car, which is barely used. I'm buying the general philosophy of a Surly for their intended purpose, although my son says anyone who has ever weighed a part they put on their bike is not a candidate for a Surly.

gemship
04-09-2020, 05:01 PM
This looks alot like the long haul trucker model. Whats the differences?

jtbadge
04-09-2020, 05:18 PM

650b wheels instead of 26" or 700c. Tubing is lighter duty as it is geared more towards 'commute around town' riding instead of 'everything but the kitchen sink' touring

p nut
04-09-2020, 05:44 PM

LHT has a very stout frame. Good for loaded riding. Ok for no load, but not preferable.

Looks like a nice bike. I am liking my current “commuter” (3 miles, whoop!) with alt bars (Albatross). I think it works better for shorter jaunts and loaded rides. Has a “Country bike” fit, which I’m liking the change of pace from riding road bikes.

If I were to get ones of these, I’d probably size up and install Albatross bars.

charliedid
04-09-2020, 05:45 PM
It's designed as a messenger/delivery/commuter bike and having ridden one I will tell you that it def. rides much better loaded which is good because that's what it's for.

That said people have preferences and many people can get used to many different geo set-ups. It's also got a slightly sloped TT which is not normal on a Surly road rig. Taller headtube as well for fewer spacers.

It's a fun bike for the right purpose and even has a dyno routed front fork.