PDA

View Full Version : Best commuter shorts?

doomridesout
02-11-2020, 05:47 PM
Looking for something with an 8-9” inseam, actual pockets, nice and durable and built with riding in mind. Contenders right now include Kitsbow Icon, Rapha Commuter, Search and State, maybe Swrve? What’s gonna do me right on my 9 mile casual clothing commute as it warms up? Please no cargo shorts or super loose baggies.

fmradio516
02-11-2020, 05:51 PM
I have the Chrome Union 2.0 shorts and they are incredible. That specific one is a longer inseam but they have a bunch of different models; im sure they have the inseam youre looking for.

The material is really nice, has some stretch, and is waterproof. I bought one in every color.

ibis
02-11-2020, 05:55 PM
When my commute into the city was 4 miles I wore Rapha Knickers (also known as the "fixed" shorts) and Randonnée shorts. Both were fine. They all wore out roughly the same time after about 3 years of use. Rapha was able to salvage most of them but one was too far gone so I received a coupon code.

Now that my commute is 11 miles across the bridge, I wear a full kit.

donevwil
02-11-2020, 06:04 PM
My wife and I each have a pair of Patagonias (https://www.patagonia.com/shop/mountain-biking?start=0&sz=24#tile-2) (she the Roamer, Dirt Craft for me), very good quality. Inseams are 11.5" to 12" though, are you sure about 8-9"? That's pretty short.

Ken Robb
02-11-2020, 07:03 PM
Sometimes Rivendell has some great shorts and pants for commuting.

ltwtsculler91
02-11-2020, 08:14 PM
definitely interested in opinions here, as I'm always looking for casual commute clothing

Has anyone used the Ornot shorts? Like the OP I've been looking at them and the Search and State shorts for something 8-9" inseam.

mktng
02-11-2020, 08:36 PM
I was happy with my Levi's commuter series shorts. They were great on and off the bike.

mmfs
02-11-2020, 08:53 PM
My Chrome Natoma shorts were a splurge at $80 on sale and 100% worth it!

scoobydrew
02-11-2020, 11:10 PM
definitely interested in opinions here, as I'm always looking for casual commute clothing

Has anyone used the Ornot shorts? Like the OP I've been looking at them and the Search and State shorts for something 8-9" inseam.

I had the Ornot shorts, but returned them due to sizing. They run about 1" bigger than the stated waist size. Otherwise, great quality like their other pieces.

jtakeda
02-11-2020, 11:38 PM
I had the Ornot shorts, but returned them due to sizing. They run about 1" bigger than the stated waist size. Otherwise, great quality like their other pieces.

+1 . i never returned mine because they *might* work but ive worn them a couple times and found them to be bigger than stated

rst72
02-12-2020, 09:46 AM
swrve durable cotton shorts...my favorite by a long shot. i prefer the Trouser 9" inseam, but they also have Regular 11" as well.

9" inseam: https://swrve.us/collections/shorts/products/new-durable-cotton-trouser-shorts

11" inseam: https://swrve.us/collections/shorts/products/new-durable-cotton-regular-shorts

Onion
02-12-2020, 01:29 PM
i commute about 15 miles a day and have found that bibs with cutoffs (to preferred length) or board shorts is ideal. came from the fact that i was reluctant to spend kit money on clothes I already had.

seanile
02-12-2020, 03:54 PM
swrve blk lbl heavy canvas shorts are stellar and have lasted me 3 years with an expected 1-2 more years left. sign up for their newsletter and you'll get some 20% coupons sooner than later. they also have a rewards program.
https://swrve.us/collections/blk-label/products/heavy-canvas-trouser-shorts

kingpin75s
02-12-2020, 04:06 PM
The SWRVE stuff is great because of the materials and gusset work they generally include.

That said, from a performance and style perspective, I have been running Outlier shorts for the past decade for commuting, mountain biking and casual use:

https://shop.outlier.nyc/shop/retail/new-way-shorts.html

jtakeda
02-12-2020, 06:17 PM
The SWRVE stuff is great because of the materials and gusset work they generally include.

That said, from a performance and style perspective, I have been running Outlier shorts for the past decade for commuting, mountain biking and casual use:

https://shop.outlier.nyc/shop/retail/new-way-shorts.html

But man the thighs in the outliers are so narrow. They werent designed for cyclists and it shows, I had to return them

xnetter
02-12-2020, 06:27 PM
swrve durable cotton shorts...my favorite by a long shot. i prefer the Trouser 9" inseam, but they also have Regular 11" as well.

Love Swrve's Durable Cotton material - very durable but also stretchy and feels good against the skin. I have a pair of knickers that I wear over chamois shorts and it's a good combo.

KJ

seanile
02-13-2020, 09:17 AM
sign up for their newsletter and you'll get some 20% coupons sooner than later. speaking of:
Starting now, you can save 20% sitewide when you enter the code BEOURVALENTINE at checkout.

edit: just had a wonderful customer service interaction with swrve, cannot recommend them enough!

fmradio516
02-13-2020, 10:40 AM
speaking of:

thanks! trying their shorts and winter cap

seanile
02-13-2020, 11:48 AM
thanks! trying their shorts and winter cap

you won't be disappointed. i've got two of their fleece lined caps and they're so comfy.

jtakeda
02-13-2020, 12:21 PM
Love Swrve's Durable Cotton material - very durable but also stretchy and feels good against the skin. I have a pair of knickers that I wear over chamois shorts and it's a good combo.

KJ

How do you swrve guys find the fit of those shorts?
I’m between a 28 and 30 and want to know which shorts I should go for

kingpin75s
02-13-2020, 12:45 PM
But man the thighs in the outliers are so narrow. They werent designed for cyclists and it shows, I had to return them

Funny. Not my experience at all. You must be a beast or maybe they have tightened them up in recent years. I did buy most of mine 8 - 10 years ago so not sure if opening has changed. They were likely called OG shorts when I got mine but the current ones looked close to the same at a glance. I have pretty solid legs so surprised they were so narrow for you or that they might be narrower now.

jtakeda
02-13-2020, 12:47 PM
Funny. Not my experience at all. You must be a beast or maybe they have tightened them up in recent years. I did buy most of mine 8 - 10 years ago so not sure if opening has changed. They were likely called OG shorts when I got mine but the current ones looked close to the same at a glance. I have pretty solid legs so surprised they were so narrow for you or that they might be narrower now.

I think it’s also a function of my size. I wear a 28 or 29 in most shorts/pants and I think they make the thighs smaller for those sizes.

I bought them about 9 months ago and bought 2 sizes to see which worked best and returned both. Also their marketing seems focused on fashion people so maybe they did change the cut.

slup
02-13-2020, 12:47 PM
The Isadore urban short are great

https://isadore.com/de/urban-herren?back=1

azrider
02-13-2020, 01:06 PM

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0085/1682/products/Swrve-Site-blklabel-heavycanvas-trouser-shorts-rusticbrown_1024x1024.jpg?v=1492472667

Ha...I'm 6'3 and i feel those would look like daisey dukes on me :p:p:p:

My FOX mtb shorts have slowly become one of my most versatile and favorite pieces. I throw these on over my bibs when I commute but also wear them casually running around doing errands, working around the yard, hiking, and I've even worn them swimming a few times.

They're awesome......and won't break bank.

kingpin75s
02-13-2020, 01:10 PM

Have not bought their shorts recently but that can be a challenge sometimes based on my experience with their product line as a whole. My recent experiences with their shell pants, which I have been wearing for close to a decade, is that recent iterations are slimmer and that would make me say size up. That said, I know their products can vary in fit by product so looking at any sizing comments can help. I think Muriel is still brand manager and she or her staff have always been helpful if you have any questions on fit of a specific item. I would check the reviews and email Swrve if still unsure as they are generally responsive and helpful.

rst72
02-13-2020, 02:29 PM

The durable cotton shorts are great.

I have 4 pair of the trouser shorts (9")...been wearing a couple of them for at least 4 years with no signs of wear.

In those shorts, i found them true to size. the Trouser shorts are regular fit, but slimmer than the Regular shorts.

swrve customer service is great...quick and helpful responses.

xnetter
02-13-2020, 08:43 PM
The durable cotton shorts are great.

I have 4 pair of the trouser shorts (9")...been wearing a couple of them for at least 4 years with no signs of wear.

In those shorts, i found them true to size. the Trouser shorts are regular fit, but slimmer than the Regular shorts.

swrve customer service is great...quick and helpful responses.

I have some regular and some slim fit. The regular fit is true to size and nicely roomy (at least the knickers, pants and softshell pants that I have are). The skinny knickers are very skinny and low rise with (ahem) not much room in the front.

KJ

alwayssnacking
02-14-2020, 01:49 PM
if you can find a pair of proof ny shorts, they were like the outliers, but the leg opening was bigger which was nice.

93KgBike
02-14-2020, 02:32 PM
I find that most of these inseams are way too long. I miss the '70s.

zambenini
04-11-2020, 12:51 PM

+1 . i never returned mine because they *might* work but ive worn them a couple times and found them to be bigger than stated

Are you guys talking about the Mission short? I want a pair real bad, but all the reviews say they run small and Ornot customer service told me to measure another actual garment that I like. I measured a few pairs of shorts I like and if I went by that measurement I would be sizing up like two sizes from the nominal size. (E.g. My Patagonia board shorts, and all my Toad and Co. pants, and my prana shorts are all "32", but if I went by the actual measurement I would be buying like a "34" in the Ornot).

doomridesout
04-11-2020, 01:57 PM
Update: I’m currently wearing Swrve trouser shorts and they’re awesome. Thanks for the recommendation, everybody.

pdxharth
07-08-2020, 02:20 PM
Picked these up at 40% off and I like them. The front pockets don’t have zippers, which are good for riding, but other than that, these are lightweight, stretchy, recycled nylon, and the 9” fit well with bibs underneath. Waist runs a little large, fyi, but that worked ok for me.

Banana Republic seems to have similar styles, also on sale.

https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_category/shorts/9inchshort/9-tech-short/H9327?color_name=honey-brown

jtakeda
07-08-2020, 02:34 PM
Are you guys talking about the Mission short? I want a pair real bad, but all the reviews say they run small and Ornot customer service told me to measure another actual garment that I like. I measured a few pairs of shorts I like and if I went by that measurement I would be sizing up like two sizes from the nominal size. (E.g. My Patagonia board shorts, and all my Toad and Co. pants, and my prana shorts are all "32", but if I went by the actual measurement I would be buying like a "34" in the Ornot).

Super late reply. Yes the mission short, they measure true to size.

And OP^^ I also went with the trouser shorts and theyre awesome! I’m wearing them right now too

AllesWirdGut
07-08-2020, 03:16 PM
I've been wearing Swrve shorts for years and I love the fit, but the pockets have reliably all blown out, both front and back. I don't remember the name of the model I used to wear, but I had several pairs over the years. Unfortunately, they seem to have discontinued them.

I also recently picked up a pair of Pearl Izumi Vista Shorts (https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/shop/men/shorts-bibs/shorts/bikestyle/mens_vista_short/p/17112001), which didn't quite fit me, but I could imagine them being great everyday shorts for someone else.

bicycletricycle
07-08-2020, 03:34 PM
I like the rapha randonneur shorts a lot. I wear them all the time off and on the bike.

genefruit
07-08-2020, 04:56 PM
I’m a fan of the Elevenpine shorts. Lots of versatility in the design.

https://www.elevenpine.com

coreyaugustus
07-08-2020, 05:24 PM
I find that most of these inseams are way too long. I miss the '70s.

Srsly. We don’t build these thighs just to hide them.