PDA

View Full Version : new helmets 2020

Tickdoc
02-11-2020, 10:02 AM
Are there any new Helmets in 2020?

I'm getting close to needing a new one, and other than the new trek tech I'm not sure what is best? Protection, Airflow, and looks last are my criteria.

I've had two with Mips and that tech seems to work well for me, is there anything else I should be looking at? (Current is Spec airnet with mips)

Second delimma is whether or not to go black or white. I've had both and usually just try to match the shoes.

https://aenkg.info/img/1ae65f365718a47adb9ab0022f346788.jpg

Seamus
02-11-2020, 10:42 AM
Haven't been any major breakthroughs aside from when Trek completely changed the landscape of cycling with WaveCel:rolleyes:

Some small interesting evolutionary developments though. Some MIPS helmet liners now built-in within the helmet design (I think Giro Aether?), which should nullify people's complaints about airflow/heat with MIPS liners. Also, Wahoo now integrating Specialized ANGi sensors might make me look that way:
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/01/hands-on-wahoo-adds-specialized-angi-helmet-sensor-integration.html

Tickdoc
02-11-2020, 10:47 AM
Haven't been any major breakthroughs aside from when Trek completely changed the landscape of cycling with WaveCel:rolleyes:

Some small interesting evolutionary developments though. Some MIPS helmet liners now built-in within the helmet design (I think Giro Aether?), which should nullify people's complaints about airflow/heat with MIPS liners. Also, Wahoo now integrating Specialized ANGi sensors might make me look that way:
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/01/hands-on-wahoo-adds-specialized-angi-helmet-sensor-integration.html

Interesting tech. Apple watch does this too, no?

Hilltopwalters
02-11-2020, 10:57 AM
I've been using the Specialized Evade for the winter since it seems to keep heat in well. Thinking about the Prevail for the summer. I had success with the higher end models from Giro and the nice thing in regards to Giro was I felt like I could use the them year round.

Bentley
02-11-2020, 11:18 AM
Interesting tech. Apple watch does this too, no?

Are you saying that the Apple Watch does what Angi does? I’m unaware of that function.

MagicHour
02-11-2020, 11:40 AM
Some stuff I've come across in my recent helmet search:

POCs going back to MIPs for 2021 (https://www.pinkbike.com/news/poc-and-mips-announce-new-partnership.html)

Giro (https://www.giro.com/c/mens-road-cycling-helmets) looks like they've streamlined their road lineup a bit, fewer models (as of now) and only MIPs. New helmet the Agilis for the Mid-pricer. Seems like the trend with this one and the Syntax are a slightly deeper shell design, which they claim as being more "gravel friendly".

zzy
02-11-2020, 12:36 PM
Looks like Catlike is out of business

NHAero
02-11-2020, 12:39 PM
Liking my POC Octal Spin, and wanted a really bright color which I got with the orange

R3awak3n
02-11-2020, 12:45 PM
Liking my POC Octal Spin, and wanted a really bright color which I got with the orange

thats what I just bought but in black. Looking forward to trying it.

trener1
02-11-2020, 01:00 PM
I was recently in the market and picked up one of the Oakley helmets, I really loved the fit, it is just super comfy.
Of course fit/comfort is a very individual thing, but just figured I'd put it out there as I don't see too many people around with one of them.

veloduffer
02-11-2020, 03:09 PM
I replaced my old Giro Pneumo with a Bell Z20 MIPS. Light and good assortment of colors. I usually use white or bright red or hi viz yellow for safety.

For winter, I just ordered a Bell Z20 Aero helmet, as it will be a bit warmer and BikesDirect (a PL sponsor) had a 50% off sale on this.

I was also looking at the Giro Vanquish but it wasn’t on sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CNY rider
02-11-2020, 03:19 PM
Anyone seen anything cool going in with new helmets with integrated face shield/visor?
I have a Kask with integrated shield and love it for winter riding and downhill skiing but it’s getting on in years.

pdonk
02-11-2020, 03:43 PM
Looks like Catlike is out of business

That sucks, my last three have been catlike. Guess I'll have to either start scouring the web for closeouts and put one away for my next helmet in 2 years or hope something else is available.

quattro
02-12-2020, 04:37 PM
Curious, if your helmet has never been in an accident or abused, you just wear it on rides and store it when done, how many years do you keep it before replacing?

thirdgenbird
04-30-2020, 11:39 PM
Bumping this one up.

I am considering the following:
Airnet MIPS
Oakley aro3
POC omne air spin

Looking for something white or gray, with minimal branding, MIPS (or equivalent) and a place to store sunglasses. Under $200 would be nice. I’m not afraid to spend money if needed, but it seems like extremely diminishing returns over about $175.

I thing the Airnet is in the lead. It’s got the most minimal branding, looks fairly slim, and appears to hold glasses front or rear. I’m also interested by the cap-style visor.

Any advice or suggestions would be welcome.

uber
05-01-2020, 12:15 AM
Virginia Tech does yearly testing for safety ratings. First place this year for road helmets is a Laser. i ordered one.

Tickdoc
05-01-2020, 06:15 AM
Virginia Tech does yearly testing for safety ratings. First place this year for road helmets is a Laser. i ordered one.

I ordered one as well....but it was too big so I am waiting on a smaller one to arrive.

oldguy00
05-01-2020, 06:16 AM
I miss my specialized sub 6, best looking helmet ever! :)

For those interested in POC, I tried a couple, and while they fit OK, they look freakin huge on my head, and others I've seen wearing them. Kind of blocky and huge. High quality for sure though.

weiwentg
05-01-2020, 07:52 AM
MET appears to have a MIPS version of the Trenta. Unfortunately, I only see it sold in European online stores right now. Competitive Cyclist told me they had no knowledge about this version coming to the US. I don’t know if the Trenta MIPS is certified for the US, or if they plan on getting that certification.

thirdgenbird
05-01-2020, 08:13 AM
I miss my specialized sub 6, best looking helmet ever! :)

The one with or without the plastic shell? :)

oldguy00
05-01-2020, 08:15 AM
The one with or without the plastic shell? :)

Without!! I never owned the newer one they put out with the shell. I had the original dark grey colored one, I think I got it from Nashbar. That would have been sometime around 1992 I think...
I loved the colored ones (without the shell) they made for Motorola and Helvetia (I think) at the time.

thirdgenbird
05-01-2020, 08:19 AM
I recall Motorola wearing the one without plastic and the white one too.

oldguy00
05-01-2020, 08:20 AM
Phil (or Bauer?) with the original grey

OtayBW
05-01-2020, 08:57 AM
Virginia Tech does yearly testing for safety ratings. First place this year for road helmets is a Laser. i ordered one.Not all Lazers are cut from the same mold shape. The Genesis fit me well; the Z1 not at all.
Liking my POC Octal Spin, and wanted a really bright color which I got with the orangeI recently went with a bright orange POC Air Ventral Spin (MIPS similar or equivalent), but boy - that thing is so bright, I get some laughs every time I put that sucker on...

trener1
05-01-2020, 09:06 AM
I got a Oakley ar03 last fall and I really like it.

Tony
05-01-2020, 09:13 AM
I purchased a SUOMY Gun Wind Elegance helmet last year on blow out at Bike Closet. Very light and comfortable!

Bob Ross
05-01-2020, 09:25 AM
Curious, if your helmet has never been in an accident or abused, you just wear it on rides and store it when done, how many years do you keep it before replacing?

LOL! I don't think I've ever had the luxury of finding out.

thirdgenbird
05-01-2020, 09:33 AM
I got a Oakley ar03 last fall and I really like it.

That’s number 2 on my list but I’m worried about sizing. I hear they run pretty small and I’ve got a fairly big head.

Do you find it more round or oval in shape? Sounds like the airnet is oval (long front to back) which should work well for me.

estilley
05-01-2020, 09:41 AM
I've had a Catlike, and a couple Giro Synthe MIPS recently. The adjuster in the back of the Giro broke so I've just been wearing my Smith Venture without the visor. After years of the lightest road helmets I can't really tell a difference...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61RFzDWBk-L._AC_SX425_.jpg

Dired
05-01-2020, 09:41 AM
I grabbed a G1 from cc when they were backorder discounted. Really love my Z1 and the aeroshell.

kytyree
05-01-2020, 09:42 AM
I've had a chance to ride a bit now in that Lazer that VT says is the saferest right now.

It's sharp looking (to me) but there's not much to it, I'd never pick it out as the "safest" in a lineup of helmets, it is light and low profile. It is so well vented and weighs so little it is as close as I've come to feeling like I didn't have a helmet on.

It has negatives such as sunglass storage, I see no way to stuff them anywhere even a little secure up there. It's got lots of vents but sits right down on my head.

This one won't apply to most people, but I've got a 99th percentile noggin (7 7/8 hat) and I'm not going to be wearing a cap under it. But does seem like it will be nice for broiling summer heat here. Their sizing chart says it goes up to 61cm but it's a small 61cm. The POC Ventral Air says 61cm as well and at least for me is roomier.

C40_guy
05-01-2020, 10:06 AM
Are there any new Helmets in 2020?

I'm getting close to needing a new one, and other than the new trek tech I'm not sure what is best? Protection, Airflow, and looks last are my criteria.

I've had two with Mips and that tech seems to work well for me, is there anything else I should be looking at? (Current is Spec airnet with mips)

Second dilemma is whether or not to go black or white. I've had both and usually just try to match the shoes.

I think this is fine for Zwifting. :)

djg21
05-01-2020, 10:11 AM
Are you saying that the Apple Watch does what Angi does? I’m unaware of that function.

It has fall detection. I turned mine off. It would go off from time to time when I was mountain biking, etc.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208944

mistermo
05-01-2020, 10:18 AM

Which model?

C40_guy
05-01-2020, 10:18 AM

I haven't bought a helmet in a while, guess I'm due. The Laser Cyclone looks pretty good...I like the idea of the integrated LEDs (Edit: Single LED, not particularly bright, not a replacement for a daytime blinkie).

What's up with the road versus MTB specific helmets?

Most of my offroad riding is non-aggressive, not particularly technical...

Do I need a different helmet for MTB, cyclocross or gravel riding?

Tony
05-01-2020, 10:37 AM
I haven't bought a helmet in a while, guess I'm due. The Laser Cyclone looks pretty good...I like the idea of the integrated LEDs

What's up with the road versus MTB specific helmets?

Most of my offroad riding is non-aggressive, not particularly technical...

Do I need a different helmet for MTB, cyclocross or gravel riding?

Mtb helmets do provide more protection, mainly in back. Most come with a visor which I don't care for, gets in the way of vision. If your not riding aggressive technical trails any good helmet will work.

Hawker
05-01-2020, 11:39 AM
That sucks, my last three have been catlike. Guess I'll have to either start scouring the web for closeouts and put one away for my next helmet in 2 years or hope something else is available.

Never owned one but always appreciated their slightly outside the box designs.

Onno
05-01-2020, 02:43 PM
Does anyone still make a good road helmet with some kind of bug netting to keep the bees and wasps from stinging you on the noggin? Seems to happen to me every summer at least once. Nearly crashed the last time it happened.

thirdgenbird
05-01-2020, 02:45 PM
Does anyone still make a good road helmet with some kind of bug netting to keep the bees and wasps from stinging you on the noggin? Seems to happen to me every summer at least once. Nearly crashed the last time it happened.

The trek (and smith?) helmets with the honeycomb liners may effectively do the same thing.

Dired
05-01-2020, 02:48 PM
The trek (and smith?) helmets with the honeycomb liners may effectively do the same thing.I tried on the bontrager xxx and it was very mushromy.

Tony
05-01-2020, 02:55 PM

The SUOMY helmet I recommended came with a net.

martl
05-02-2020, 02:42 AM
When the 2020 helmet designs are released, that is the day when all helmets 2019 and older flip status from "you're a deathloving lunatic if you don't use one of those" to "you're a deathloving lunatic if you use one of those", right?

... Yeah I guess I'll just wait for 'new helmet release day' 2021. Maybe. :)

scoobydrew
05-02-2020, 11:26 AM
Which model?

Lazer's newish "G1" model.

Hank Scorpio
05-02-2020, 01:26 PM
Bought a new Lazer G1 mips to replace my antiquated Z1 but it doesn’t seem to fit as well even in the same size. Also purchased a Kask Protone last year I think? Doesn’t fit well either and the brow/frontal pad is irritating. Probably soon to hit the classifieds.

pdonk
05-02-2020, 02:21 PM
Another catlike fan here. Chainreaction still has a pretty good selection of models colors and sizes.

Wondering if I should buy another one as a replacement.

scoobydrew
05-02-2020, 02:34 PM
Bought a new Lazer G1 mips to replace my antiquated Z1 but it doesn’t seem to fit as well even in the same size. Also purchased a Kask Protone last year I think? Doesn’t fit well either and the brow/frontal pad is irritating. Probably soon to hit the classifieds.

Can you elaborate on the fit differences of the G1 vs. Z1? Does your Z1 have MIPS and do you think the difference is attributed to MIPS?

Reason for asking is that I've had a couple of Kask Protones (favorite helmet). I gave the Z1 MIPS a shot but it just didn't fit my head shape, which is categorized as "round oval".

Hank Scorpio
05-02-2020, 09:59 PM
Z1 was non mips and a size large probably from 2016ish. Fit on the loose side even cranked all the way down. With the G1 I would say if just feels tighter all around. The padding is just as minimal as the Z1 so no need to wait for them to pack out a bit. And no way am I dialing the adjuster anywhere near as tight as the Z1.

fignon's barber
05-03-2020, 06:13 AM
Another catlike fan here. Chainreaction still has a pretty good selection of models colors and sizes.

Wondering if I should buy another one as a replacement.

Not if you live in the US. It looks like the only helmet CR will ship to US is MET.

fignon's barber
05-03-2020, 06:31 AM
Can you elaborate on the fit differences of the G1 vs. Z1? Does your Z1 have MIPS and do you think the difference is attributed to MIPS?

Reason for asking is that I've had a couple of Kask Protones (favorite helmet). I gave the Z1 MIPS a shot but it just didn't fit my head shape, which is categorized as "round oval".

I've used a G1 for about 5 months. Z1 was too round for me. The G1 is oval and smallish for size. I am a 59cm, so needed the Large which is smaller than the Kask Large. The G1 is a decent helmet, kind of bland looking by today's standards, comfortable but not light (my large weighs in at 291g on a Park Tool scale).

John H.
05-03-2020, 10:32 AM
Anyone have issues with respect to fit on one of the newer MIPS helmets?
I used to always wear a Specialized Prevail and it fit perfect.
But the Prevail II with MIPS does not fit as well. It feels bigger and deeper- Doesn't stay put as well on my pin head (I wear a small).

KonaSS
05-03-2020, 02:49 PM
Not exactly the same, but always liked the fit of Specialized helmets as well. Got their new Evade II with MIPs and don't like the fit either. Bigger and deeper is definitely the feel.

scoobydrew
05-03-2020, 02:58 PM
Not exactly the same, but always liked the fit of Specialized helmets as well. Got their new Evade II with MIPs and don't like the fit either. Bigger and deeper is definitely the feel.

Out of curiosity, do you (or any other Specialized helmet users) know your head shape? I like their helmets but have read they're geared more towards those with more oval/narrow heads.

KonaSS
05-03-2020, 04:40 PM
Out of curiosity, do you (or any other Specialized helmet users) know your head shape? I like their helmets but have read they're geared more towards those with more oval/narrow heads.

I think I am more towards oval. I have liked Giro in the past, Specialized and my current favorite is POC.

Robot870
05-03-2020, 04:51 PM
I fell for the aero style lid for the last year. I can see it in the winter but no way when's it's hot! Just got a Lazer Z1 and wow!!!!! The aero's are absolute hot boxes and not looking like a total dork is a plus !

sleepyfelix
05-04-2020, 04:53 AM
Been riding a Hexr since February - 3D printed to your head and absolutely fantastic for comfort.

https://hexr.com/

I have a 59cm head which is right at the max range of a Medium, and low end of large size for almost all off the shelf helmets. So until the HEXR came along I had to make do with a very tight medium or mushroom like look of a large helmet.

weiwentg
05-04-2020, 06:24 AM
Been riding a Hexr since February - 3D printed to your head and absolutely fantastic for comfort.

https://hexr.com/

I have a 59cm head which is right at the max range of a Medium, and low end of large size for almost all off the shelf helmets. So until the HEXR came along I had to make do with a very tight medium or mushroom like look of a large helmet.

Not certified for sale in the US, sadly.

gordieax
08-01-2022, 04:25 PM
Longtime Giro helmet wearer, "upgraded" to the Giro Agilis MIPS helmet last summer and am finding it to be very uncomfortable. It either sits to tight & high on my headed or when loosened it drops down so it feels like it's cutting into my head near where my ears are attached to my head. There seems to be no happy medium or comfortable fitting with this helmet. Wonder if anyone has had a similar experience or any suggestions for a comfortable helmet? Thanks.