PDA

View Full Version : Platform pedals on skinny tired bikes?

d_douglas
02-10-2020, 11:19 AM
I am a dedicated Clipin pedal user. I bought some cheap Crank Bro’s flats to try out and I rode happily offroad on a trip, but there was something missing for me. (Likely proper shoes as I was using some light hikers)

I now see a fair number of people riding flats on gravel bikes and gotta think that it can’t be as good as using clipin pedals for non-technical riding. It just seems like so much energy would be lost (even with proper sticky soled shoes).

I get that cruising the neighbourhood with kids or a leisurely spin to smell the flowers while wearing jogging shoes makes sense, but the thought of hustling up a hill etc, just seems illogical to me.

I don’t plan on changing but I am curious as to whether many use flats on their ‘road’ bikes?

NHAero
02-10-2020, 11:30 AM
I changed my Anderson all-road to Race Face Atlas flats which I love on my MTB and have FiveTen shoes to wear with all my bikes with flats. I don't actually see a reduction in speed on my usual routes, but I'm riding solo and averaging around 15 mph on a bike that with rack, fenders, handlebar bag with tools, etc. is close to 28 lbs.

I did it so I'd use this bike more for shorter rides in a the "grab-n-go" mode, and it's worked. I'll take it to a meeting, or to work, or to the library, just wearing street clothes. But I do ride it on longer rides too - took it on a 33 mile ride Saturday.

lavi
02-10-2020, 11:35 AM
I haven't really seen this aside from on a "burrito slayer" bike.

Side note, the FiveTen thing is legit! I am trying flats on my mtb for more tech/non-cross country riding. WOW. Whatever it is, the rubber compound....but dang, literally feel glued to the pedal. No kidding. I almost fell over trying to get "unclipped". Shoe felt that attached to the pedal.

For gravel, sure. I guess if it's more of a cruiser ride. Seems like some good mtb shoes is a better bet for actual riding.

Burning Pines
02-10-2020, 02:19 PM
In winter I use flats so I can use warmer waterproof shoes. My only drop bar bike has 42mm tires and a basket though so I’m not hustling no matter what shoes I have on.

BRad704
02-10-2020, 02:32 PM
I did it so I'd use this bike more for shorter rides in a the "grab-n-go" mode, and it's worked. I'll take it to a meeting, or to work, or to the library, just wearing street clothes.

I've got flats now on my old Trek road bike for that reason. Something I can jump on without needing any special kit at all.

duff_duffy
02-10-2020, 03:15 PM
I use flats on all my road bikes. It’s awesome. Yet to slip or wish for more power in several years of riding this way. Comfortable and can hop on and off with any shoes. Try it, my recommendation is get large platforms for best comfort.

d_douglas
02-10-2020, 03:20 PM
I use flats on all my road bikes. It’s awesome. Yet to slip or wish for more power in several years of riding this way. Comfortable and can hop on and off with any shoes. Try it, my recommendation is get large platforms for best comfort.

Interesting! I will stick with Times for now, but I am curious to ride offroad (aka REAL offroad) with flats and some proper shoes. I think the universally accepted best option is 5-10s - they seem to have no peer.

NHAero
02-10-2020, 03:30 PM
It actually takes effort to shift your foot on the pedal! I really notice when I wear boots instead on the below freezing days, they slip a bit, despite the little pointy bits on the pedals.

Interesting! I will stick with Times for now, but I am curious to ride offroad (aka REAL offroad) with flats and some proper shoes. I think the universally accepted best option is 5-10s - they seem to have no peer.

duff_duffy
02-10-2020, 05:46 PM
My favorites are Speedplay Drilliums. Someone posted coupon to deal on Speedplays earlier. These are large platform pedals, great! I have background in freestyle and BMX so used to not being clipped in. I’m going to ride the rest of my days on flats, never going back. Now if you care about what others will think of you on group rides than flats may not be for you. Also remember to tuck the shoe laces in when wearing sneakers, trust me:)

duff_duffy
02-10-2020, 05:49 PM
The Speedplay Drilliums are going on the Cyrene...

Tony
02-10-2020, 09:09 PM
Spank Oozy's with 5-10s. Large platform, light and great pin placement with a locked in feel.
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=246712

Plum Hill
02-10-2020, 10:34 PM
I picked up a set of Platformers for my Speedplays to bop around town. After my TKR, I rode them with Birkenstocks. Still having issues with TKR, I picked up a pair of 5-10 and have been happily riding flat pedals on the trainer and the bike trail.

Jaybee
02-10-2020, 10:45 PM
Slight tangent... 5.10s are still the gold standard (freerider contact is my fav) but I picked up a pair of Shimano GR7s, and they are 95% as grippy as 5.10, seem to be lasting longer, and are a little sleeker looking than most of the 5.10 models.

cabriggs
02-10-2020, 10:46 PM
Personally I'm drinking the Pedaling Innovations Kool-aid and have their Catalyst flat pedals on all my bikes, road and MTB. The mid-foot position leads to some toe overlap on the road bikes but it's not a big deal. I'm using hiking boots lately due to the cold but over 40 degrees I ride in 5.10's and they stick great.

93KgBike
02-11-2020, 12:41 AM
Does cx/gravel count?

Cause then, yeah.

no pic tho
not like I'm bragging

colker
02-11-2020, 05:33 AM

I have flat suntour pedals on my fast bike and wear soft thin sole shoes. It´s been years already and i see no reason to go back to stiff bike shoes or clipping myself to the bicycle since it was giving feet numbness and worries about knee issues. I am slow as i ever was on flat pedals/ soft soles and clipless/stiffness has zero effect on performance. Bike shoes is part of the uniform.. that´s all.

Ken Robb
02-11-2020, 11:10 AM
I have flat suntour pedals on my fast bike and wear soft thin sole shoes. It´s been years already and i see no reason to go back to stiff bike shoes or clipping myself to the bicycle since it was giving feet numbness and worries about knee issues. I am slow as i ever was on flat pedals/ soft soles and clipless/stiffness has zero effect on performance. Bike shoes is part of the uniform.. that´s all.

This is pretty much me too. I have pedals with SPD on one side and toothed flat on the others so I can decide whether to clip in or not before every ride but I can't remember the last time I chose to clip in. "Boat " shoes like Topsiders work great for me on flat pedals and are very nice for walking around when I stop pedaling.

Ralph
02-11-2020, 12:01 PM
I have flat pedals on wife's E Bike we share. We use it for short trips and casual riding. Don't want to be tied to cycling clip in shoes/pedals, or kit etc. My other bikes....I use Look keo's, but for the E bike....different use. That's one reason I wanted a cruiser style E bike for us...with flat pedals. Just to ride around on.

Robot870
02-15-2020, 08:45 PM
My commuter