PDA

View Full Version : Reynolds Ouzo Pro compression plug?

fmradio516
02-09-2020, 05:47 PM
Just wanting to make sure im not doing something wrong.

I bought a NOS compression plug like the one below on eBay in November. It was advertised as 1-1/8" but when I put it in the steerer tube there is a ton of room and when I tighten down the screw which expands the thing, its not even close to being tight.

Im pretty sure the guy some me a 1" and I doubt he's going to take it back after so long.

Unless im doing something wrong and these things really need to be torqued down a bunch?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/mL8AAOSwCgleMvw2/s-l1600.jpg

happycampyer
02-09-2020, 07:02 PM
Tbh, I was never a fan of the Reynolds compression plugs of that era. There are plugs with much more surface area, and some texture to the surface to give the plug some “bite.”

Measure the OD of the plug expanded and compare it to the ID of the steerer. The plug should create a very firm fit. There is a good chance that that plug is for a 1” steerer.

Mike Lopez
02-09-2020, 07:33 PM
If so, and it fits sloppy, it’s the wrong size.

The o-ring on the expander should create a bit of an interference fit on the way in.

PM me if you need the right one.

fmradio516
02-09-2020, 07:40 PM
If so, and it fits sloppy, it’s the wrong size.

The o-ring on the expander should create a bit of an interference fit on the way in.

PM me if you need the right one.

Yep.

Edit: I actually found another plug in my parts bin that looks like itll work for now. Just disappointing.

pdmtong
02-09-2020, 09:37 PM
I think it is the wrong size...if you are turning the bolt not the cap it should snug up.

dddd
02-09-2020, 11:27 PM
There are different-sized plugs for steerers made from different materials.

Seems likely that yours was made for use in an aluminum or carbon steerer, or perhaps even a steer tube with a reinforcing sleeve glued in a la Cervelo.

But it also might be for a 1" steerer as was suggested.

Doesn't the Ouzo Pro fork have a carbon steerer?

My Ouzo Comp fork has a steel steerer fwiw.

fmradio516
02-10-2020, 06:20 AM
There are different-sized plugs for steerers made from different materials.

Seems likely that yours was made for use in an aluminum or carbon steerer, or perhaps even a steer tube with a reinforcing sleeve glued in a la Cervelo.

But it also might be for a 1" steerer as was suggested.

Doesn't the Ouzo Pro fork have a carbon steerer?

My Ouzo Comp fork has a steel steerer fwiw.

Yes the Pro has a carbon steerer, so either its from a 1" pro or a comp, but wouldnt a comp just use a regular starnut?

saab2000
02-10-2020, 06:31 AM
There are far superior compression plugs available than the old Reynolds ones with the rubber band.

fmradio516
02-10-2020, 07:37 AM
There are far superior compression plugs available than the old Reynolds ones with the rubber band.

Are there any that allow you to use your own top cap?

oldpotatoe
02-10-2020, 07:59 AM
Yes the Pro has a carbon steerer, so either its from a 1" pro or a comp, but wouldnt a comp just use a regular starnut?

Yes...

saab2000
02-10-2020, 09:11 AM
Are there any that allow you to use your own top cap?

Yes. I have a number of these Specialized units in service and there are other similar units available with a bit of searching. They are excellent. They go deeper into the fork than the short ones with the rubber bands and also expand to cover more of the internal surface of the fork, spreading out the pressure. Use a bolt and the cover of your choice.

https://images.amain.com/images/large/bikes/specialized/06214-2010.jpg?width=475

https://www.amaincycling.com/specialized-carbon-steerer-tube-plug-rd-mtn-06214-2010/p691196?gclid=Cj0KCQiAm4TyBRDgARIsAOU75sp7yd83gk-bjTb7usL2V1qIrFyTcr3CzjvpkVVWX_B1vlJafNLH6VsaAnHuE ALw_wcB

EricChanning
02-10-2020, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the tip on the specialized units! I'm going to replace my ouzo Pro compression plug with one of these.

Gummee
02-10-2020, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the tip on the specialized units! I'm going to replace my ouzo Pro compression plug with one of these.

I can't order anything from Q that's as good. ...or as inexpensive!

I've got 4 of them in the fleet now.

Sucks ordering from another shop, but there's times ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

M

fmradio516
02-10-2020, 11:04 AM
I can't order anything from Q that's as good. ...or as inexpensive!

I've got 4 of them in the fleet now.

Sucks ordering from another shop, but there's times ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

M

thanks!

Shipping is a bummer though.

drgonzo
06-11-2020, 12:46 PM

I'm installing a new Columbus Minimal with 1" steer tube. I'll be running it with a fair amount of extension (~30mm) below the stem. The Columbus expander plug is pretty short, do you have any recommendations for a better option? TIA!