PDA

View Full Version : Rim brake Toe-in and Pad Wear

Hindmost
02-09-2020, 05:36 PM
These rim brakes are prone to squealing; they are cantilevers with Swiss Stop BXP on aluminum, for what it's worth. I set them up with a generous toe in (front edge in). They work great, no noise. After weeks of riding, the pads wear and squeal starts to return.

I thought I should know the answer to this I really don't. I don't want to readjust the pads. It's still early in the pad life span. The rims are clean. Do I deglaze the pads?

AngryScientist
02-09-2020, 05:45 PM
those swiss stops are some of the literal worst pads i have ever used, in canti brake application. too hard IMO.

if i were you, i'd swap pads to something softer. i really like the kool stop dual compound pads.

canti brakes, depending on the bike set-up, are much more sensitive to this kind of stuff, and it's worth a faster wearing, softer pad to keep things "smooth"; IMO.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/7dDGwhXjjY9Nql6BafQjOEvDYxVUgeYdNFJbpiUAi9sGgBASch vVYOTi0CGdt3zPmo4HVu-LAY-LHrvk8vRbCpWXY_npinbVMWbNV1Ybbu39

dddd
02-10-2020, 01:34 AM
There are pads with differing levels of grip on their trailing edges (toward the rear) where the reduced grip of red vs. black rubber usually allows them to run squeel-free.

I've been down this road many, many times over the years, and it always seems to come down to the type of rubber of the entire pad or particularly of it's trailing edge.

The other half of the equation can be the rim, whether it is bare or anodized or composite, but still the right sort of rubber will be need to be fitted.

dddd
02-10-2020, 01:37 AM
There are pads with differing levels of grip on their trailing edges (toward the rear) where the reduced grip of red vs. black rubber usually allows them to run squeel-free.

I've been down this road many, many times over the years, and it always seems to come down to the type of rubber of the entire pad or particularly of it's trailing edge.

The other half of the equation can be the rim, whether it is bare or anodized or composite, but still the right sort of rubber will be need to be fitted.

One more thing that can really help front cantilever brakes not to squeel is to install some sort of brake booster plate like the one shown here:
https://live.staticflickr.com/2824/10676241226_ef94d874fe_c.jpg

Hindmost
02-10-2020, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.

I have run the Swissstop BXP's on similar setups for a couple years. I thought they had pretty nice grip, modulation, and wear characteristics. Never occurred to me that they would be squealers.