PDA

View Full Version : Jersey hoarding

Elefantino
02-09-2020, 09:02 AM
I keep buying jerseys I don't need. I now have, at last count, 69. (Yes, really).

I wear maybe a dozen or so regularly but I'm reluctant to part with many of them because they're from events I've done or places I've ridden.

I am the Imelda Marcos of jerseys.

Does anyone else have this problem?

mass_biker
02-09-2020, 09:04 AM
Yes - jerseys from various events + places have a certain resonance. Truth be told, most of them don't fit that well. So my solution is that these end up being the ones that I ride when I'm on the trainer. Halfway solution, but that's mine at least.

DeBike
02-09-2020, 09:19 AM
I am always amazed by the numbers posted of different items that people have. I look at my bikes, components, clothes, shoes, etc., and think why do I have so many of these. Then I see other peoples collections and they make my stash look small in comparison.

That does not mean I no longer think I have too many, it just gives me another perspective.

OtayBW
02-09-2020, 09:42 AM
I keep buying jerseys I don't need. I now have, at last count, 69. (Yes, really).

I wear maybe a dozen or so regularly but I'm reluctant to part with many of them because they're from events I've done or places I've ridden.

I am the Imelda Marcos of jerseys.

Does anyone else have this problem?
Haha! Pics or they don't exist! :banana:

coreyaugustus
02-09-2020, 09:46 AM
Got an opinion on what makers use the nicest fabric?

Bentley
02-09-2020, 10:10 AM

Honestly I think the “boutique” brands likely use the best fabrics, but I’m probably wrong. Curious what the “research” reveals

I have a bunch of jerseys... I like bright ones because I ride alone most of the time... but like nice artwork so I’ll buy jerseys based on that

bjf
02-09-2020, 10:25 AM
Same problem. Mine aren't even from events (mostly), just ones I like. Also many don't really fit. Sigh . . .

Elefantino
02-09-2020, 11:08 AM
Assos. And Castelli.

MattTuck
02-09-2020, 12:21 PM
Find a deal on some display frames and mount the most significant ones.

and stop buying jerseys :)

Or, if you want to get rid of them... A few options.

1. Take pictures of the jerseys so you can remember them.
2. Cut off the main logo for the events, put them in plastic sleeves in a 3 ring binder. You can always browse that for memories.
3. Add to your rag pile.

jischr
02-09-2020, 12:54 PM
I've at least twenty jerseys. Probably six were bought as a reward for losing 20 pounds. Something I've yet to do. Some were bought here because the price looked too good to pass up, and ended up being the wrong side or just not what I thought they'd be. Another six are charity ride jersey's. Every year or so I give three or four to the thrift store, but it seems the ones in the closet keep multiplying.

Blue Jays
02-09-2020, 01:04 PM
My technique is to not purchase commemorative jerseys from cycling events.
I mostly ride in our club colors to further boost awareness of our organization.
If it's a jersey you haven't worn in years, give it away to a kid getting started in the sport.

Nomadmax
02-10-2020, 04:05 AM
I am always amazed by the numbers posted of different items that people have. I look at my bikes, components, clothes, shoes, etc., and think why do I have so many of these. Then I see other peoples collections and they make my stash look small in comparison.

That does not mean I no longer think I have too many, it just gives me another perspective.

I'm in this camp ^.

My meager collection of ten bikes, 30-40 jerseys and boxes of spare parts is nothing compared what many around here have. I will say this, I have a weakness for pro American cycling team jerseys, especially from around 1980 to the early 2000s. While I don't need any more, if I find one and it fits, I'll buy it. That very thing happened just the other day; I found a Crest/Cannondale SS jersey to rock come spring time. In my pain cave the walls are lined with jerseys for decoration and additional storage; kinda like riding in a colorful crit on the rollers ;) I wear them all but two, one signed by Stephen Roche, the other by the Badger.

weisan
02-10-2020, 04:15 AM
I like variety so this is not typical of me but I found a way to combat jersey gluttony.

I happened upon a LG jersey that fits me like a glove, nice fabric and feel to it, suitable for Texas weather, bright and visible, comfortable to wear, good looking...

Then a month later, I found a vendor dumping it for $9.99 on eBay...it's a previous years model.

I bought 10.

Put them on rotation.

Never bought another jersey ever since.

Elefantino
02-10-2020, 10:53 AM
Hopefully all 10 weren't the same! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crankles
02-10-2020, 01:07 PM
I have an embarrassing number of wool jerseys and Speedvagen kits.

weisan
02-10-2020, 01:40 PM
Hopefully all 10 weren't the same! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honey, I think I know what the problem is!

pdmtong
02-10-2020, 04:06 PM
it's easy to own a lot of jerseys, especially if you have light-mid-heavy weight in SS and LS. two of each and that's 12 right there.

now, lets say you mtb or race and cx and dont want to wear your $$$ jerseys in case of crash. there's another 4-6 SS+LS right there.

now lets include the old jerseys you bought that no one will buy today. add another 5-6. like the PI cookie monster one or the primal ac/dc one with the canon on it.

so hitting 24 isn't outrageous. there. I justified it.