PDA

View Full Version : ot: just me or is the the new google search results format

eddief
02-08-2020, 11:12 AM
disorienting? think they switched one way a couple of weeks ago, then there was an outcry cuz people hated it, then they switched back to the old way, and now back again.

jimcav
02-08-2020, 11:24 AM
all i've seen recently is more "ad" results first. i think google allows you to change how results display--never played with that myself though...

unterhausen
02-08-2020, 12:44 PM
on a phone, it's horrible. They are really trying to get me to switch back to duckduckgo.

Hawker
02-08-2020, 06:30 PM
I noticed right away and absolutely hate it, hate it. Takes much more time to find what I'm looking for. Guess I'll complain.

Dekonick
02-08-2020, 09:11 PM
Switched to duck duck. Not going back.

Tickdoc
02-08-2020, 10:04 PM
Yes it is bad. Sales sales sales and content way buried deep.

Blue Jays
02-08-2020, 10:10 PM
Love using DuckDuckGo for searches.

William
02-08-2020, 10:19 PM
:banana:

W.

Llewellyn
02-09-2020, 06:46 AM
So for the benefit of an internet browser novice does Duckduckgo work like Chrome? Are there any disadvantages?

paredown
02-09-2020, 06:59 AM
So for the benefit of an internet browser novice does Duckduckgo work like Chrome? Are there any disadvantages?

It's a search engine--and will show up as a choice in the Search options in most browsers.

It's big advantage is that it does not suck up all of your personal data--and target ads and track you based on that data.

I find the search results a little less targeted sometimes--but if I'm really looking for something specific, it is easy enough to go to the google home page and search from there.

My new favorite browser is Brave--it's a Chromium derivative (but not plugged into the Google ecosystem as Chrome is.)

If you are running Google Chrome while logged in and using Google search, you are giving Google unlimited access to your personal data--they suckered a whole generation into thinking this was a good thing because of convenience, integration and free stuff (cloud drive, free apps, free search) but (as the pros say)--"if the app is free, then you (and your personal data) are the product"

Google Android (as a closed phone system) takes this a step further--and will only function if you have been totally assimilated into the Google plan for world domination. The only mail is (you guessed it) GMail, the nly search is Google--and you can't use the phone without logging in to the Google-verse