PDA

View Full Version : Jersey City cyclist angers drivers by riding in middle of lane

fiamme red
02-07-2020, 03:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8Q4tHEHdRg

zmalwo
02-07-2020, 03:50 PM
If everyone rode bicycles there wouldn't be such a thing as type II diabetes.

Blue Jays
02-07-2020, 03:54 PM
I suspect he is going to perhaps tangle with a younger / stronger / crazier motorist one day and likely regret it.
His message is certainly righteous, yet it does appear he seeks to assert himself when that is not truly necessary.

YMMV.

dustyrider
02-07-2020, 03:55 PM
Anyone know what cargo bike that is?

e-RICHIE
02-07-2020, 03:57 PM
I respect this guy. And PS I saw my old hood in some of those street scenes.

Tony
02-07-2020, 03:58 PM
I feel sorry for the dogs.

R3awak3n
02-07-2020, 04:01 PM
I was just in JC for a few weeks. Was ridding citi bike from the path to my air BnB. In 2 days, I almost got run over 3 times, one time by a cop. I think ridding in the middle of the lane is the only way not to get run over, I was trying to give space to drivers and they were flying as close to me as they could, even if there was no one on the upcoming lane.

Going back there in a few weeks. Only ridding I will do is some hot laps around Lincoln park but no commuting for me. JC makes NYC bike infrusctrure and respect for cyclists look like Holland.

robt57
02-07-2020, 05:16 PM
I suspect he is going to perhaps tangle with a younger / stronger / crazier motorist one day and likely regret it. YMMV.

Lot of cage fighting wanna bees driving to practice out there...

tuscanyswe
02-07-2020, 05:23 PM
Anyone know what cargo bike that is?

Looks like a Bullitt from Larry vs Harry. They are nice if you have a lot of heavy stuff to haul. Not that nice if you mostly ride unloaded or with light loads as its not very nimble imo.

tctyres
02-07-2020, 06:02 PM
JC makes NYC bike infrusctrure and respect for cyclists look like Holland.

Yeah. I was in JC in January. No thanks. Manhattan seems a lot friendlier, and it's not even that great.

oldpotatoe
02-08-2020, 07:45 AM
I suspect he is going to perhaps tangle with a younger / stronger / crazier motorist one day and likely regret it.
His message is certainly righteous, yet it does appear he seeks to assert himself when that is not truly necessary.

YMMV.

He's going to be 'dead' right...silly and dangerous..be better to more carefully pick your battles..
If everyone rode bicycles there wouldn't be such a thing as type II diabetes.

I get what you are saying but a no vehicle environment, in a place the size of the US, will never happen unless it's the stuff of movies about how civilization crumbled..No type II diabetes
but no things like decent health care or food or anything else that depends on not living on a self protected, self sufficient enclave..

R3awak3n
02-08-2020, 08:17 AM
I appreciate his mission but it is true that he will probably get very hurt in the process. Some people out there are crazy and like he mentioned on the video, I would not be afraid of someone beating the crap out of me (which might happen) but just running you over. It is a problem that most streets in JC are very narrow and it will not be of popular opinion to remove parking to put a bike lane but that is exactly what they should do.

tctyres
02-08-2020, 08:54 AM
There's enough urban density that there should be bike lanes linking the PATH on the south side of JC all the way up to the GWB.

The present compartmentalization of the transportation options in NYC/NNJ doesn't make sense.

jemoryl
02-08-2020, 08:57 AM
I appreciate his mission but it is true that he will probably get very hurt in the process. Some people out there are crazy and like he mentioned on the video, I would not be afraid of someone beating the crap out of me (which might happen) but just running you over. It is a problem that most streets in JC are very narrow and it will not be of popular opinion to remove parking to put a bike lane but that is exactly what they should do.

Not only are the streets narrow, but double parking was a big thing in JC and Hoboken (don't know if it still is with all the gentrification...).

AngryScientist
02-08-2020, 09:14 AM
oof yea, Jersey City would be a pretty tough place to ride bikes, especially as a form of transportation commuting during regular commuter hours.

one big problem is all the congestion there, which puts drivers on edge and makes them angry in the first place. then, any little thing that slows them down sets them off. it's not a good environment to be a cyclist in.

i think it's great that they are expanding the bike lanes and something they absolutely should do, but i also know it's a tough job in a city like that with limited real estate.

i can respect his mission and his vision, and it's great that he's bringing awareness to the law and cyclists right to use the road. i hope he keeps going, sees some progress and most of all - that he doesnt get seriously hurt.

unterhausen
02-08-2020, 09:19 AM
New Jersey doesn't have a minimum passing distance law and it shows. Of course, Pennsylvania has one and it's one of the state's best kept secrets. The only place I have seen a Penndot sign mentioning it was at the end of a bridge from New Jersey, educating the New Jersey drivers. Better than nothing I guess.

weisan
02-08-2020, 09:43 AM
Men are from Mars, women from Venus.

Can be so right, yet so wrong.

oldpotatoe
02-08-2020, 09:48 AM
oof yea, Jersey City would be a pretty tough place to ride bikes, especially as a form of transportation commuting during regular commuter hours.

one big problem is all the congestion there, which puts drivers on edge and makes them angry in the first place. then, any little thing that slows them down sets them off. it's not a good environment to be a cyclist in.

i think it's great that they are expanding the bike lanes and something they absolutely should do, but i also know it's a tough job in a city like that with limited real estate.

i can respect his mission and his vision, and it's great that he's bringing awareness to the law and cyclists right to use the road. i hope he keeps going, sees some progress and most of all - that he doesnt get seriously hurt.

I disagree...by doing this, he does the same thing that Critical Mass rides do...piss people off. I think there are way better ways to get his point across. No better way to help the anti-bike crowd that to use this guy as a poster child of how "goofy, uninformed, crazy", bike people are. I don't think he is but it sends a wrong message and gives ammo to the anti-bike, cars-forever, crowd.

oldpotatoe
02-08-2020, 09:50 AM
Men are from Mars, women from Venus.

Can be so right, yet so wrong.

??

Tony
02-08-2020, 09:52 AM
I disagree...by doing this, he does the same thing that Critical Mass rides do...piss people off. I think there are way better ways to get his point across. No better way to help the anti-bike crowd that to use this guy as a poster child of how "goofy, uninformed, crazy", bike people are. I don't think he is but it sends a wrong message and gives ammo to the anti-bike, cars-forever, crowd.

I agree

boomforeal
02-08-2020, 10:29 AM
I think there are way better ways to get his point across.

such as?

Seamus
02-08-2020, 10:42 AM
In his favor: Moron, aggressive drivers usually don't want to scratch their dumb cars on his beast of a commuter bike.

Tony
02-08-2020, 10:48 AM
In his favor: Moron, aggressive drivers usually don't want to scratch their dumb cars on his beast of a commuter bike.

Really, there are lots of youtube videos of aggressive drivers using their cars to hit others.

GutiSteve
02-08-2020, 11:05 AM
I’ve been living in Jersey City for 17 years and it’s not the kind of place where you should expect that the city or community will adapt to you no matter what side of the coin you’re on. But for the most part when you treat people with respect you will be getting the same in return. It’s generally understood that you have to hold your own here, so in regards to cycling, you need to bike aggressively but without crossing certain lines. He’s crossed that line of disrespect that is not only gonna get himself hurt but it will be making it harder for people like me because it’s encouraging these drivers to see us as trolls. I also serious doubt he’s from here or he wouldn’t be acting like that which could open up a whole other can of worms (the big G word). In short, I think he’s just an instigator and what he’s doing is counterproductive in every way [emoji2369].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unterhausen
02-08-2020, 11:19 AM
I'm pretty sure that a significant number of motorists see all cyclists as trolls, no matter what the riding style is.

GutiSteve
02-08-2020, 12:00 PM
I'm pretty sure that a significant number of motorists see all cyclists as trolls, no matter what the riding style is.

I agree but he’s also taking a significant number of motorists who probably would have just drove right past him and gave him some space and giving them a real reason to be pissed off at cyclists.

tuscanyswe
02-08-2020, 12:08 PM
He is not really riding incredibly stupid at least not based on the video in the link that i can tell.

With dogs and a cargo bike i wouldent ride close to the parked cars either so some stressed out driver can get to the next redlight 2 seconds earlier.

GutiSteve
02-08-2020, 12:22 PM
He is not really riding incredibly stupid at least not based on the video in the link that i can tell.

With dogs and a cargo bike i wouldent ride close to the parked cars either so some stressed out driver can get to the next redlight 2 seconds earlier.

He’s not riding stupid for a suburban Portland neighborhood. You can take a whole lane here if you can keep up with the pace of traffic, no prob. If you hog a one way street going slow with multiple cars behind you and run your mouth on top of it, you’re acting like a douche.

tuscanyswe
02-08-2020, 12:33 PM
He’s not riding stupid for a suburban Portland neighborhood. You can take a whole lane here if you can keep up with the pace of traffic, no prob. If you hog a one way street going slow with multiple cars behind you and run your mouth on top of it, you’re acting like a douche.

Run his mouth? You mean explaining to the cars that honk their horns in efforts to get him out of their path that he is legally allowed to ride where he is riding?

tctyres
02-08-2020, 12:49 PM

I think the big part of Angryscientist's post that is missing is that the entrance to the Holland Tunnel is in Jersey City. It's a really dumb design with a highway set into city streets. The result is that tunnel traffic can pour off the highway, which it does. The tunnel backs up twice a day, and people decide to shed north to the Lincoln Tunnel or George Washington Bridge.

As for activists, there isn't a 100% effective way of causing change. This guy has taken an aggressive tack. My issue with it, personally -- as in why I wouldn't do it myself -- is that you simply don't know who is drunk or high, or distracted in a way that is dangerous.

Phil Gaimon posted this the other day on his Strava, which is somewhat relevant: One KOM and one police report for assault with a motor vehicle. Enjoy your license while you can, @ssh*le https://www.strava.com/activities/3080856523
Phil is particularly outspoken about traffic problems.

GutiSteve
02-08-2020, 12:55 PM
Run his mouth? You mean explaining to the cars that honk their horns in efforts to get him out of their path that he is legally allowed to ride where he is riding?

Here are a couple examples of how things are just “different” here:

If you are on a busy NYC sidewalk and you stop to try to figure out where you are going or to look at something, people will get really angry at you. It’s understood here that “you” are the one being rude because you’re getting in the way. That’s just how it is.

In Jersey City cars will never ever stop for you at a crosswalk. And pedestrians will never ever wait for a walk sign or walk all the way to the corner to cross. And many (if not most) cyclists run red lights when they get the chance. That’s just how it is.

In general, it’s a heavily populated area and people commute (car, bus, bike, train, walk) 1-2 hours each way to/from work. Its a high stress and fast paced environment. It’s perfectly fine to walk/bike/drive slow as long as you’re not holding other people up or getting in their way. That’s just how it is.

If you come here and expect that the environment is going to adapt to you then you end up like this guy who is the instigator and playing the victim.

tuscanyswe
02-08-2020, 01:24 PM
Here are a couple examples of how things are just “different” here:

If you are on a busy NYC sidewalk and you stop to try to figure out where you are going or to look at something, people will get really angry at you. It’s understood here that “you” are the one being rude because you’re getting in the way. That’s just how it is.

In Jersey City cars will never ever stop for you at a crosswalk. And pedestrians will never ever wait for a walk sign or walk all the way to the corner to cross. And many (if not most) cyclists run red lights when they get the chance. That’s just how it is.

In general, it’s a heavily populated area and people commute (car, bus, bike, train, walk) 1-2 hours each way to/from work. Its a high stress and fast paced environment. It’s perfectly fine to walk/bike/drive slow as long as you’re not holding other people up or getting in their way. That’s just how it is.

If you come here and expect that the environment is going to adapt to you then you end up like this guy who is the instigator and playing the victim.

You are describing the very thing he is trying to change in regards to him taking up space..

If you are okay with cars beeing the center of the universe and that they are in the right even when they are legally in the wrong your world will never change. You will continue to live in a world where bicycles are nothing more than a nuisance.

He is not rude or a douche imo. He is just riding his bike where he lawfully can. Explaining that this is what he is doing to motorists who tell him to get out of their way is not running his mouth. Guess we see things differently.

Drivers will learn to wait behind slower cars bikes pedestrians whatever if they know they have to and that this is the norm. Until then they will continue to honk and yell and force ppl of the road or whatnot.

And yeah i know how it works ive been a bike messenger for almost 20 years.

GutiSteve
02-08-2020, 01:49 PM
You are describing the very thing he is trying to change in regards to him taking up space..

If you are okay with cars beeing the center of the universe and that they are in the right even when they are legally in the wrong your world will never change. You will continue to live in a world where bicycles are nothing more than a nuisance.

He is not rude or a douche imo. He is just riding his bike where he lawfully can. Explaining that this is what he is doing to motorists who tell him to get out of their way is not running his mouth. Guess we see things differently.

Drivers will learn to wait behind slower cars bikes pedestrians whatever if they know they have to and that this is the norm. Until then they will continue to honk and yell and force ppl of the road or whatnot.

And yeah i know how it works ive been a bike messenger for almost 20 years.

I was a bike messenger in NYC for 5 years. What I do agree with is that there should be more bike lanes. If you don’t see anything wrong with the way he rides and the way he’s talking to people then yeah, we will have to disagree on that. I also was trying to explain that rules/logic/laws apply differently according to their environment. So maybe being a messenger in Sweden is not the same experience as being one in NYC. Here people don’t just “learn to wait”. If the guy in the video was in Sweden I may see his actions as more acceptable, it’s just not the same here.

tctyres
02-08-2020, 02:07 PM
I also was trying to explain that rules/logic/laws apply differently according to their environment.

That's just it. The guy is asking for fair treatment under the law. Jersey City drivers have to calm tf down when there's a cyclist in the road.

I wouldn't do what he does, but the law says he is allowed to use the road.

tuscanyswe
02-08-2020, 02:11 PM
I was a bike messenger in NYC for 5 years. What I do agree with is that there should be more bike lanes. If you don’t see anything wrong with the way he rides and the way he’s talking to people then yeah, we will have to disagree on that. I also was trying to explain that rules/logic/laws apply differently according to their environment. So maybe being a messenger in Sweden is not the same experience as being one in NYC. Here people don’t just “learn to wait”. If the guy in the video was in Sweden I may see his actions as more acceptable, it’s just not the same here.

I have a brother who lives in manhattan. Its def heavier more traffic but still pretty much the same in regards to how it applies to the video. Its not like in stockholm ppl are chill and have all the time in the world.

Ppl in cars are stressed out and generally are allowed to get away with behavior that would never be acceptable elsewhere in society.

And yes ppl everywhere would learn to wait if it was the norm. Its just you need to start the change somewhere..

jamesdak
02-09-2020, 08:36 AM

I totally agree. Glad the critical mass loonies have pretty much gone away around here it appears. For awhile they kept making the news in a very, very negative way.

oldpotatoe
02-09-2020, 08:50 AM
such as?

Join bike rights organization, both via social media or door to door..Volunteer, be an advocate for any legislation that is pro bike, pro bike safety..many, many ways rather than be a one man critical mass...

Tony
02-09-2020, 08:54 AM
Join bike rights organization, both via social media or door to door..Volunteer, be an advocate for any legislation that is pro bike, pro bike safety..many, many ways rather than be a one man critical mass...

+ two dogs in harm's way.