PDA

View Full Version : MTB / Gravel Shoes

GParkes
02-07-2020, 03:35 PM
I don't ride MTB's at all, but have done some 'cross in past years and ride some gravel these days. Currently have older pair of Specialized shoes, but I somewhat compromised on these when I bought them about 6-7 years ago. I'll be riding more of the gravel stuff this year by default (seems bulk of organized events these days are gravel oriented) and need to improve this very important point of contact.

My dilemma; very narrow, low volume feet. Impossible to find any shoes (dress, sneakers, etc) that fit without some custom aspect (thank God my hockey skates have been thermal fit the last 20 years). Anyone have any history with off-road shoes that run narrow? If I can get close, my orthotics can make up the difference.

TY in advance gang.

GP

zacstanley
02-07-2020, 03:44 PM
I have some of these Fizik gravel shoes - I use them for the bulk of my riding. I would call them narrow for sure. Cheap and stiff enough.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/fizik-terra-powerstrap-x4-shoe?v=mdcr043&adl=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAsvTxBRDkARIsAH4W_j_ASiWhwmLeyclmBvIv 5kRAbwH5Qh97SCGDVP_uGUdGo6xieRgCMLwaAu9wEALw_wcB

12snap
02-07-2020, 03:52 PM
I have narrow feet as well. I was a long time Sidi user but have found that Gaerne are a better fit for me. I find them to have better heel hold. Length wise the sizing is the same. I should be in a 43.5 Sidi but always downsized to a 43 to get a tighter fit. I can wear a 43.5 Gaerne and have no issues with them being too wide. I've now switched both my road and mtn shoes to Gaerne. Check out www.gizmocycling.com. Depending on the size you wear, you can find some good deals in their closeout section. They had a great return policy, too. I bought several different shoes to try out and returned the ones that didn't work. They had no problem with me doing that as long as I didn't mount cleats or wear them outside.

I once spent $2500 buying 18 different pair of shoes trying to find some that were narrow enough. Sidi, Giro, Shimano, Louis Garneau, Fizik, Scott, Lake, Mavic to name a few I tried. Some were close but nothing beats my Gaernes.

MagicHour
02-07-2020, 04:36 PM
Not specifically gravel per se more like an all purpose/tourer SPD shoe, but my lace Giro Republic mesh run fairly low volume/narrow. Check out any of their laced models: eg Republic, Empire V70/V90 and Privateers. I'd think they'd be all based on a similar sized last - at least my 2 prs of Empires and Republics are.

joosttx
02-07-2020, 04:41 PM
I just switched from Sidi to Shimano Phyre XC9’s. They are $450 but I found a deal for $225. So you can find goods deals on them. I love these shoes. I have normal to narrow feet.

SpeedyChix
02-07-2020, 04:42 PM
Giro Empire VR90 are about the narrowest and low volume mtb/gravel shoes I've ever worn. They have a stiff sole as well. Older colors can be found on closeout / sale pricing.

djg21
02-07-2020, 04:56 PM
I don't ride MTB's at all, but have done some 'cross in past years and ride some gravel these days. Currently have older pair of Specialized shoes, but I somewhat compromised on these when I bought them about 6-7 years ago. I'll be riding more of the gravel stuff this year by default (seems bulk of organized events these days are gravel oriented) and need to improve this very important point of contact.

My dilemma; very narrow, low volume feet. Impossible to find any shoes (dress, sneakers, etc) that fit without some custom aspect (thank God my hockey skates have been thermal fit the last 20 years). Anyone have any history with off-road shoes that run narrow? If I can get close, my orthotics can make up the difference.

TY in advance gang.

GP

https://lamsoncycling.com/off-road-shoes

yarg
02-07-2020, 07:00 PM
$1275!!!!!????

djg21
02-07-2020, 07:12 PM
$1275!!!!!????

Custom shoes with orthotic/custom insole.

eippo1
02-07-2020, 10:03 PM
Giro Empire VR90 are about the narrowest and low volume mtb/gravel shoes I've ever worn. They have a stiff sole as well. Older colors can be found on closeout / sale pricing.This as said here and above. For gravel/ MTB switched from Specialized to VR90s and love them. Still use the specs, but find the Giros way more comfy for my narrow feet. Like them so much that I added a set of road ones too. And I have no need of them since I am perfectly happy with my 2 pairs of Sidis, but they're so good and I got the electric blue.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

douglas
02-08-2020, 07:52 AM
I have a pair of Sidi Dragons which are narrow. They have a band at the top of the back of the heel which can be adjusted to tighten the hold at the heel. The sole is carbon and very stiff. They have become my favorite shoes for my narrow feet. Very pricey but I shopped for a long time and got a bit of a deal. Very glad I found them.

henrypretz
02-08-2020, 07:54 AM
My LBS put me in a pair of these Scotts. They are a terrific, low volume fit. They are comfortable to walk in, yet stiff on the bike. Not sure just how they did that, but I sure like them.

https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/product/scott-mtb-vertec-boa-shoe?article=2705975533023

https://content.backcountry.com/images/items/900/SCO/SCO00VB/MATBLABK.jpg

GParkes
02-08-2020, 08:22 AM
Custom shoes with orthotic/custom insole.

I love you Doug, but you know me. I'll wear these shoes ten times this year, maybe.............cost per ride, crazy!

GParkes
02-08-2020, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Time to make a list and go hunting.

GP

classtimesailer
02-08-2020, 08:34 AM
If you have a Lake dealer near you, it might be worth a visit. They have three different lasts.

Mikej
02-08-2020, 08:43 AM
I just switched from Sidi to Shimano Phyre XC9’s. They are $450 but I found a deal for $225. So you can find goods deals on them. I love these shoes. I have normal to narrow feet.

Exactly -

macaroon
02-08-2020, 01:13 PM
I have a pair of Sidi Dragons.....The sole is carbon and very stiff. .

It's really not very stiff if you compare it to a carbon soled road shoe (Sidi Wire), or the Sidi Tiger/Drako MTB shoes.

It's fine if you're after something that's "walkable" but if you want the feel of a stiff shoe then look elsewhere.