PDA

View Full Version : Please welcome Pursuit Cycles to the PL

William
02-07-2020, 12:30 PM
Carl Strong and the Pursuit team have joined the Paceline forum as a sponsor! Glad to have them onboard. Take a look at what they have cooking...and a Spotlight on Pursuit will be up soon!

https://www.pursuitcycles.com

W.

fiamme red
02-07-2020, 12:46 PM
Bozeman, Montana? Never heard of the place. ;)

prototoast
02-07-2020, 12:56 PM
Awesome sponsor. From what I've seen of their work, it's really spectacular stuff. Their frames are a little out of my price range, but would be at the top of my list if I were in the market.

XXtwindad
02-07-2020, 01:06 PM
Here's hoping that Carl will mix it up in the "GD" as well. He's articulate and opinionated. Dave Kirk, Heisenberg, oldpotatoe, Rain Dogs, and Prototoast are really the only builders/vendors who aren't afraid to "get in the arena."

prototoast
02-07-2020, 01:45 PM
Here's hoping that Carl will mix it up in the "GD" as well. He's articulate and opinionated. Dave Kirk, Heisenberg, oldpotatoe, Rain Dogs, and Prototoast are really the only builders/vendors who aren't afraid to "get in the arena."

Appreciate the mention, but I'm not sure I deserve to be grouped with the names you've listed there, and there are more than a few good names you've omitted.

That being said, I'd always be happy to hear from Carl or any of the team at Pursuit.

dsimon
02-07-2020, 01:48 PM
Looks Like Bozeman is becoming a Mecca of bike builders

AngryScientist
02-07-2020, 01:49 PM
wow!

i was aware of the brand but hadnt looked at the site in a while. holee molee that's some cool paint!

carl - who's shooting the paint for you guys?

i like what i'm seeing here!

https://www.pursuitcycles.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Valley-Girl-Total-Edit.jpg

lookout2015
02-07-2020, 03:51 PM
wow!

i was aware of the brand but hadnt looked at the site in a while. holee molee that's some cool paint!

carl - who's shooting the paint for you guys?

There’s some pointers on the Pursuit site that their paint is by http://www.darkmatterfinishing.com/ (spinoff from Spectrum Powderworks)

SpeedyChix
02-07-2020, 04:47 PM
Oliver does some killer paint (Dark Matter). He's setup to do powder or wet.

Carl Strong
02-07-2020, 05:14 PM
Thanks a ton everyone! We're really excited to be back. While I've never been that vocal, I have been a lurker here since it was the bicycle fan club in the early 2000s. Recently I hadn't been around much due to work requirements, but I am looking forward to getting involved.

XXtwindad. I will try to "mix it up" when I have something unique to offer, but I gotta say, there are a lot of smart people here and it's hard to add anything of value that hasn't already been said :)

Yes, the paint is Oliver (Ollie) of Dark Matter Finishes. He was the lead painter at Spectrum prior to its sale and relocation. After they moved he went out on his own. Strong Frames has worked with him for a long time so he was a natural choice for Pursuit. He does great work as you can see by the image AngryScientist posted. The paint design was done by a couple who have graphic design firm here in Bozeman called Vega Creative.

dsimon, I like to kid that Bozeman has more professional framebuilders per capita than Portland!

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

Hellgate
02-07-2020, 05:35 PM
Welcome! I've always enjoyed your work. Dark Matter is great partner to work with too.

merlinmurph
02-07-2020, 05:51 PM
Welcome! I remember listening to a great podcast interview with you (RKP?)
and talking about Pursuit. Nice stuff!

madsciencenow
02-07-2020, 07:37 PM
Welcome! Love the second-hand bike I acquired on here with your name on the tubes! I know it’s not Pursuit but it’s a inspiration for me to save some cash towards something from Pursuit.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200208/1eb9b8a713ef1761c7c5ee249b9524a7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robt57
02-07-2020, 07:52 PM
For those not familiar with Carl and Strong frames et al including Pursuit. My first Strong arrived in 2000 and is still going 'Strong'. Been in touch few times a year with Carl since. Meet up a few times to boot. Last time here semi recently @ King Precision in PDX, where I met the Pursuit clan as well.

My last Strong, an All Road Steel Disc frame/fork is every bit as great as the first one was/is.

I have steered folks Carl's way for decades now. I usually tell them I am doing them the favor and not Carl as much.

Not likely I will do a Pursuit now that my income is fixed, but I have little doubt if Carl is touching it, it will be the goods!

As far as a better experience for the process I doubt better exists anywhere, as good... maybe if you are lucky.

Ciao

Hawker
02-07-2020, 09:11 PM
Welcome! I remember listening to a great podcast interview with you (RKP?)
and talking about Pursuit. Nice stuff!

I also met Carl through that RKP interview and was impressed by what I heard.

grateful
02-08-2020, 05:09 AM
You can not go wrong with a bike blessed by Carl and team. Certainly one of the best in the business.

There is often discussion about how difficult it is to make a go of frame building. If a builder has been around as long as Strong has you know that positive word of mouth has had a huge impact on their longevity.

I try to minimize the impact that marketing has and appreciate those artisans that have weathered the constant fluctuations in the bike industry and continue to flourish.

Thanks Strong/Pursuit!

Brad

soulspinner
02-08-2020, 06:04 AM
2003 Strong built for me has somewhere around 37000 miles. It met an accord in a parking lot as the driver slammed her brakes to answer a text. It has been dented repainted has outlived the first fork and is my benchmark for handling. Carry on Carl.:hello:

roguedog
02-08-2020, 09:59 AM
Wow. Welcome, Carl. Been tracking Pursuit for a bit. Outta my price range but just been fun watch the evolution.

Amazing line up of sponsors!

YesNdeed
02-08-2020, 11:06 AM
...Need more pics :eek:

Carl Strong
02-08-2020, 11:34 AM
Welcome! Love the second-hand bike I acquired on here with your name on the tubes! I know it’s not Pursuit but it’s a inspiration for me to save some cash towards something from Pursuit.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200208/1eb9b8a713ef1761c7c5ee249b9524a7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know that bike! Hope you are enjoying it. That's the 20th-anniversary frame. I built one for myself also. I still have it, which is unusual because I rarely keep a bike for more than a season.

robt57
02-08-2020, 11:51 AM
That's the 20th-anniversary frame. I built one for myself also. I still have it, which is unusual because I rarely keep a bike for more than a season.

Sure has a nice big drain pipe for a down tube.

Carl, yours should fit me, nudge nudge wink wink...:bike:

Carl Strong
02-08-2020, 11:55 AM
Thanks again everybody. It's encouraging for the whole Pursuit team to read all the positive comments. I love hearing from happy SFI customers (soulspinner, robt57) and the new SFI owners also (madsciencenow).

Hopefully we'll see you over at the Builder Spotlight when it's posted. We will be standing by. I look forward to some tough questions :)

Carl Strong
02-08-2020, 11:56 AM
Sure has a nice big drain pipe for a down tube.

Carl, yours should fit me, nudge nudge wink wink...:bike:

HaHa, you know me, everything is for sale. But my 20th will cost ya :)