PDA

View Full Version : Compressionless housing with canti brakes?

Veloo
02-06-2020, 11:59 AM
I use the Yokozuna compressionless housing on my BB7 disc brake bike and they work really well. The housing runs full length on both front and rear brakes just because of the way the frame is.

Was wondering if compressionless is worth using on canti brakes where the length of housing can be quite minimal.

Has anyone done this and found any noticeable improvement in braking?

Gummee
02-06-2020, 12:00 PM
not just yes, but HECK YES!

Do eet!

M

crankles
02-06-2020, 12:08 PM
not just yes, but HECK YES!

Do eet!

M

I 2nd this. I swapped out normal jagwire pro housing for the segmented aluminum and was amazed....Both front and rear. NOTE: the rear is really composed of two short sections as the cable stops prevent running full length.

mcallen
02-06-2020, 01:49 PM
With two canti CX bikes, I've been wondering the same thing, so I am subscribing to this post.

Hindmost
02-06-2020, 03:37 PM
Dumb question:

Does compressionless housing allow greater force to be applied to the cantilever or does it simply reduce the sponginess feel at the lever?

donevwil
02-06-2020, 03:45 PM
The only application I've found not well suited to compressionless housing are mini-Vs. The sponginess of regular housing adds some faux-modulation to those on-off brakes.

Mark McM
02-06-2020, 03:48 PM
Dumb question:

Does compressionless housing allow greater force to be applied to the cantilever or does it simply reduce the sponginess feel at the lever?

Force at the brake end of the cable = force at the lever end - friction

Compressionless housing by itself will not change the force at the brake, unless the housing has less friction (or has smaller radius bends which also reduces friction).

mhespenheide
02-06-2020, 04:07 PM
or has smaller radius bends which also reduces friction

Wouldn't that have to be "a bigger radius bend has less friction"?

A "curve" with zero radius would be like a 90 angle. That would be a lot of friction, right?