PDA

View Full Version : Replacement cables for Campy

Matthew
02-06-2020, 11:57 AM
Apologies if this has been covered a thousand times. Looking to replace my shift/brakes cables of my Campy Chorus 11 speed. Just replace with Campy or go a different route? To be honest my rear shifting was not the best. So I'm open to other brands for sure. Also put on new bars and hoping a cleaner routing of the housing will help the shifting. Have Jagwire on another bike and have been pleased. Also, would Shimano work? Appreciate the help as always.

arimajol
02-06-2020, 12:01 PM
The nubbins on the end are a different size than shimano. Jagwire makes campy compatible cables that are nice. Campy are nice too. In my experience it's hard to get crappy campy compatible cables because cheap ones don't exist.

edit: the phrase "crappy campy compatible cables" just has a nice ring to it.

lavi
02-06-2020, 12:07 PM
In my experience it's hard to get crappy campy compatible cables because cheap ones don't exist.

^^
This.

I've tried lots of different cables. Could be me, but I've never been able to tell any discernible difference.

Spaghetti Legs
02-06-2020, 12:14 PM
My usual source for Campy cables, although looks like prices are up a little since last time I bought.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JAGWIRE-ROAD-Slick-Stainless-Shifter-Derailleur-Bike-Cables-CAMPAGNOLO/131373167353?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Matthew
02-06-2020, 12:21 PM
I should have mentioned too I am replacing the housing as well. So not sure if that makes a difference in your suggestions. Thx

Ken Robb
02-06-2020, 12:36 PM
I have a NIB set of Campy cables/housing that I bought for my 10 speed Chorus gruppo but the originals never wore out. If you want them we can figure out a fair price.

lhuerta
02-06-2020, 12:49 PM
....my usual and RELIABLE sources...

https://www.merlincycles.com/campagnolo-ultra-shift-power-shift-cable-set-58397.html

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/campagnolo-ergopower-ultra-shift-cableset-black-43597?currency=5&delivery_country=191

jemdet
02-06-2020, 01:21 PM
I've had good luck with Campy-compatible Yokozuna cables. The Campy stuff is great but comes with ferrules that don't fit, it's odd.

A full Campy cable set is fairly cheap.

Dave
02-06-2020, 01:25 PM
The new campy 12 speed cables, impregnated with teflon work really well, but are very pricey, though cheaper at bike24. I found they improved the shifting on my bike with internally routed cables.

I've always used shimano housing from a 25 foot roll for replacement housing.

Matthew
02-06-2020, 04:00 PM
Would 10 speed shifter cables and housing work with 11 speed shifters? Guessing it's the same diameters etc.?

Dave
02-06-2020, 04:06 PM
Would 10 speed shifter cables and housing work with 11 speed shifters? Guessing it's the same diameters etc.?

Yes. They haven't changed cable dimensions in a long time.

Mark McM
02-06-2020, 04:08 PM

Probably not. Campagnolo 10spd shifters use 5mm derailleur housing, but 11ps shifters use 4mm derailleur housing.

However, it would work the other way - Campagnolo 11spd cables come with ferrules that allow it to work in 5mm housing fittings.

Brake cables housing diameter did not change, so brake cables should be interchangeable.

ultraman6970
02-06-2020, 04:28 PM
U can use shimano cables aswell, just dremel the heads to fit, actually just to play safe..."dremel to fit tad lose".

loudtiger
02-06-2020, 07:59 PM
I usually use Jagwire campagnolo cables from my LBS. They have it for $10. Here is the same thing on Amazon if you can't find it locally:

https://www.amazon.com/Campagnolo-Shift-Cable-Kit-Stainless/dp/B01NCP2KCC/ref=pd_cp_468_2/135-2280933-9276163?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01NCP2KCC&pd_rd_r=6291cda2-fc91-4b95-9dea-84b5ffb16325&pd_rd_w=4C9RG&pd_rd_wg=AbWo9&pf_rd_p=592dc715-8438-4207-b7fa-4c7afdeb6112&pf_rd_r=GG54HEAP3BSRX08HTY5G&psc=1&refRID=GG54HEAP3BSRX08HTY5G

Matthew
02-06-2020, 09:14 PM
Think I'll go with some Campy I've found online that includes housing too. Appreciate the help.

jemoryl
02-06-2020, 09:36 PM
I'm running 11 spd. Chorus on one of my bikes with the original Campy cable set. It has been said that using the Jagwire 1.1 mm dia. inner cable as a replacement for the 1.2 mm dia. Campy cable can improve the shifting on the rear. I'm going to try this when my cables need replacement, but I'm not sure what kind of improvement is possible, given that shifting with the 1.2 mm inners is fine. Apparently this doesn't matter as much for 10 speed Campy (I have a couple bikes with this) and I don't know about 12 speed.

oldpotatoe
02-07-2020, 06:42 AM
Apologies if this has been covered a thousand times. Looking to replace my shift/brakes cables of my Campy Chorus 11 speed. Just replace with Campy or go a different route? To be honest my rear shifting was not the best. So I'm open to other brands for sure. Also put on new bars and hoping a cleaner routing of the housing will help the shifting. Have Jagwire on another bike and have been pleased. Also, would Shimano work? Appreciate the help as always.

Jagwire slick stainless are great BUT a couple of suggestions.

-CUT the 4mm der housing CLEANLY and make sure they are LONG enough.
-Make sure the wee brass washers that the housing psuheds against arein the lever der housing holes..and not turned sideways or missing(ask me how I know:))
-Route the der housing behind the handlebars-seems to make for better shifting
-wee bit of grease on the while delrin ramp where the inner wire leaves the lever
-use 5mm der housing at the rear der, long enough, with metal(brass is best) ferrules.
-NO ferrules in the lever..not for brake either
-ensure under BB guide is plastic and clean, smooth-metal ones are draggy

Campag ERGO 11s/12s DEPENDS on very smooth movement of inner wire.
You mentioned Chorus 11s..early model? White take up spools? Might need the upgraded black ones..a running change.

fmradio516
02-07-2020, 07:14 AM
Jagwire slick stainless are great BUT a couple of suggestions.

-CUT the 4mm der housing CLEANLY and make sure they are LONG enough.
-Make sure the wee brass washers that the housing psuheds against arein the lever der housing holes..and not turned sideways or missing(ask me how I know:))
-Route the der housing behind the handlebars-seems to make for better shifting
-wee bit of grease on the while delrin ramp where the inner wire leaves the lever
-use 5mm der housing at the rear der, long enough, with metal(brass is best) ferrules.
-NO ferrules in the lever..not for brake either
-ensure under BB guide is plastic and clean, smooth-metal ones are draggy

Campag ERGO 11s/12s DEPENDS on very smooth movement of inner wire.
You mentioned Chorus 11s..early model? White take up spools? Might need the upgraded black ones..a running change.

Well im glad i read this. Getting ready to do my first 11s campy build and:

a) didnt know theres two routes you can go on the derailleur cable.
b) i only have 3 out of 4 wee washers. One is missing on the route to go behind the handlebar, so gonna attempt to move the inner one there. darn hard to get to though.

oldpotatoe
02-07-2020, 07:33 AM
Well im glad i read this. Getting ready to do my first 11s campy build and:

a) didnt know theres two routes you can go on the derailleur cable.
b) i only have 3 out of 4 wee washers. One is missing on the route to go behind the handlebar, so gonna attempt to move the inner one there. darn hard to get to though.

a)-yup..
b)-I have these if you need them...yes, you can fish them out..but they are essential.

Matthew
02-07-2020, 08:25 AM
I am pretty sure my group is 2015. Wee washers are in place.

Jadocs
02-07-2020, 09:01 AM
I used Jagwire on my latest build and it shifts like butter. I have no experience with Campagnolo cables so can't speak to that.

jds108
02-07-2020, 11:53 AM
As mentioned by others, the head at the end of the cable isn't the same between Shimano and Campy. Campy is smaller, and if a Shimano-spec cable is used without grinding down the head first, it either may not fit or it may fit but be so tight to get stuck.

The other thing - Shimano shift cables are 1.1mm thick and Campy is 1.0mm thick. A Shimano cable will fit in a Campy housing, but since that cable is a tiny bit larger, there is some resistance when it's in there. ***I haven't looked at any of these specs in 5+ years, so somebody correct me if this info is out-of-date.

So be careful if buying non name brand stuff, they don't always get these specs correct. Once I did buy an off-brand cable that had a campy head but a 1.1mm thick cable.

fmradio516
02-07-2020, 01:20 PM
a)-yup..

b)-I have these if you need them...yes, you can fish them out..but they are essential.

Got it moved over! And I pulled out the unused one so it doesn't get lost.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200207/dfeacc3c24c05c358355ec256cc16ceb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
02-08-2020, 07:53 AM
As mentioned by others, the head at the end of the cable isn't the same between Shimano and Campy. Campy is smaller, and if a Shimano-spec cable is used without grinding down the head first, it either may not fit or it may fit but be so tight to get stuck.

The other thing - Shimano shift cables are 1.1mm thick and Campy is 1.0mm thick. A Shimano cable will fit in a Campy housing, but since that cable is a tiny bit larger, there is some resistance when it's in there. ***I haven't looked at any of these specs in 5+ years, so somebody correct me if this info is out-of-date.

So be careful if buying non name brand stuff, they don't always get these specs correct. Once I did buy an off-brand cable that had a campy head but a 1.1mm thick cable.

Haven't measured but I think 1.2mm for shimano and 1.1 for others.
shimano head won't get stuck in the spool of a 2009, 11s, lever but may drag on the inside of the lever body as the spool rotates. It WILL get stuck in older, 8/9/10s levers.

smontanaro
02-08-2020, 08:26 AM
All my experience is with pre-index stuff. I'm used to having to take out the Dremel and grind down the heads of Shimano-headed cables to fit in my Campy shift levers. Not long ago, I acquired a set of Campagnolo Doppler shifters and installed them on my Griffon (https://flic.kr/s/aHsmj3b97L). Imagine my surprise to find they accepted Shimano size cable nubs without grinding...

jemoryl
02-08-2020, 08:54 AM
Haven't measured but I think 1.2mm for shimano and 1.1 for others.
shimano head won't get stuck in the spool of a 2009, 11s, lever but may drag on the inside of the lever body as the spool rotates. It WILL get stuck in older, 8/9/10s levers.

Since I was sitting here next to a tool box with my calipers, so I went over to my bike and measured 1.2 mm dia for Campy "Ultra-Low Friction" cables, 11-speed era. An older bike with a set of 10-spd. era cables has inners that measure 1.3 mm, BTW.

I went to the closet and found that the 1.1 mm Jagwire inners are indeed 1.1 mm, as are some Kble cables (made by Transfil in France), which are actually billed as 1.2 mm on the package.

oldpotatoe
02-08-2020, 08:56 AM
Since I was sitting here next to a tool box with my calipers, so I went over to my bike and measured 1.2 mm dia for Campy "Ultra-Low Friction" cables, 11-speed era. An older bike with a set of 10-spd. era cables has inners that measure 1.3 mm, BTW.

I went to the closet and found that the 1.1 mm Jagwire inners are indeed 1.1 mm, as are some Kble cables (made by Transfil in France), which are actually billed as 1.2 mm on the package.

There ya go..BUT, as has been mentioned, 1.1 with a proper Campag head can only help to keep the system smooth...

fmradio516
02-08-2020, 10:33 AM
Well all this talk had me curious so I popped open my set of campy cg-er600 and I noticed..... What the heck is this thing? And how do I make it work? In particular to the left of the ferrule. How does the skinny part go into the cable housing? Or is the ferrule on there backwards from the shipment?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200208/4f8357ba6222259274247c040a8a8378.jpg

bicimechanic
02-08-2020, 11:31 AM
That rubber accordion goes over the hard plastic sleeve sticking out of the ferrule, not inside the ferrule as pictured. Helps seal out the dirt.

Well all this talk had me curious so I popped open my set of campy cg-er600 and I noticed..... What the heck is this thing? And how do I make it work? In particular to the left of the ferrule. How does the skinny part go into the cable housing? Or is the ferrule on there backwards from the shipment?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200208/4f8357ba6222259274247c040a8a8378.jpg

Mark McM
02-08-2020, 12:16 PM
The first time I got one of these, I was little confused myself, until I realized that the rubber grub seal was only stuffed into open end of the ferrule for packing. Pull them apart, and then install as stated above (the grub seal is first slid onto the cable, the ferrule is installed with the extension passing through the cable stop, and then the grub seal is pushed over the end of the ferrule extension).

fmradio516
02-08-2020, 12:30 PM
Ah ha! there it is! Thanks!