PDA

View Full Version : can you generalize about June weather in the Finger Lakes NY?

eddief
02-05-2020, 07:09 PM
i know weather is weather but may choose to do a bike tour in the Finger Lakes starting in June. Wet, sweaty, bugs?

soulspinner
02-05-2020, 07:12 PM
Bugs not bad. Weather a crazy crapshoot. Do it.:)

GParkes
02-05-2020, 07:34 PM
My sister lived in Hammondsport (lower tip of Keuka Lake) for about five years. Terrific weather, place. Enjoy it.

Blue Jays
02-05-2020, 07:54 PM
Many years ago there was an event in that area called Finger Lakes Ramble that was popular during summertime.

Keith A
02-05-2020, 08:00 PM
I've been up there a couple times during the summer, and it was great. But my sample size is pretty small. Douglas Brooks, a previously active member of the forum, lives up there.

Ken Robb
02-05-2020, 08:15 PM
Leslie and I loved it so much in October we went back the next year in July staying in Canandaigua both times. It's a lovely town on a beautiful lake and it's home to the Culinary and Wine Institute of NY where we had some great meals prepared by students and faculty at very reasonable prices. There is a wide variety of excellent riding from Bopple Hill (gut-buster for me) to easy cruising on the Erie Canal Tow Path for flat cruising with no motorized traffic and charming towns every few miles to refuel with ice cream, pie, BEER or whatever piques your palette.

joev
02-05-2020, 08:17 PM
I used to ride in the Great Finger Lakes Tour by the Southern Tier Bike Club and that event is mid-June. I just checked and it's still listed on their website. For the times I did the ride, it was just turning warm. I don't remember cold rides. The rain came in a bit, though. One of the biggest issues was the maple tree pollen that, some years, was so bad it left a green film on your tent.

Can't beat the terrain. Ride up between Cayuga and Seneca lakes and the roads are incredible. :banana:

parris
02-05-2020, 08:31 PM
The weather will really depend on when in June you plan to go. Early June can still be cool/cold in the morning depending on what part of the country you normally are use to. When we were farming in the Utica/Rome area we lost a few fields to late frost the first couple of weeks in June a few years. The Finger Lake region is a bit more mild and the lakes do help to moderate the temps though. Mid June on is generally nice temp wise in most of the upstate regions with the Adirondacks running a week or two behind.

Bugs are quite a bit tougher in the Adirondacks compared to the Finger Lake region that time of year also. Unless you hit a good amount of rain the Finger Lakes are tough to beat.

Hope this helps.

tv_vt
02-05-2020, 08:33 PM
Great place to ride. Could have some rain and cool weather in June. Or could have 90+ degrees. Was there maybe 10 years ago and we had one rainy day out of 4 or 5 days. We stayed near Pen Yan.

Time to go back, actually.

GonaSovereign
02-05-2020, 10:23 PM
June is lovely in the Finger Lakes and Great Lakes. Nice temps, long days. Enjoy!

GregL
02-06-2020, 09:42 AM
I live just east of the Finger Lakes region (Syracuse) and previously lived in Canandaigua. I've ridden the entire region from Otisco Lake in the east to Conesus in the west. Memorial Day to Labor Day is the "sweet spot" for good weather. June tends to be a pleasant month with foliage fully in bloom and generally good weather. The quick moving cold fronts of spring have settled down and the heat of the summer hasn't hit yet. You can have cool mornings and warm afternoons. For example, June 2019 had an average high temp of 76.8F and overnight low of 55.3F. 14 out of 30 days were rain-free. 5 of 30 days had very little rain (less than 0.10"). That sounds like great riding to me! And this region of NY has very little in the way of annoying insects. Mosquitos are more a problem later in the summer near swampy areas, at night. The infamous black flies are primarily in the Adirondacks to the north.

IMO the riding is world class. Countless miles of quiet, country roads are available. New York's high taxes provide generally smooth pavement and wide shoulders. Some gravel is also available if you look for it. Motorists are generally polite. I get many more smiles/waves than I do middle fingers. The terrain can vary from rolling to very hilly depending on your route. If you want very flat with no traffic, look for routes along the old Erie Canal. The Onondaga Cycling Club has maps (https://onondagacyclingclub.org/ridemaps/)(with GPS links) on their website.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to post them here or send a PM.

Best wishes,
Greg