PDA

View Full Version : ENVE 5.6 Experience?

earlfoss
02-05-2020, 03:11 PM
I'm getting a new-gen Trek Madone and need to get a new wheelset for it. I'm planing to use this for crits and some road races, so I'm not interested in getting the AR rims. I have the AR4.5 for my RoadMachine and they're great, but not good for hard cornering in a race situation.

I'm going back and forth on whether to get the 3.4 or the 5.6. I'm interested in the 5.6 but fear that the rear might be heavy enough to be a liability in races in situations where accelerations on hills are called for. Reviews are sparse, but one mentioned that they take a little effort to wind up. I had some Bontrager Aeolus 5 TLR, raced on them for 2 years and they were excellent deeper profile wheels so maybe I'm overthinking this.

The 3.4 are great, but not quite as aero. I understand they'd make an excellent all around set, but yeah, I'm having a hard time deciding.

Does anyone here have any experiences with their 5.6 wheelset they'd be willing to share?

Thanks!

kramnnim
02-05-2020, 03:24 PM
have used 3.4s and 6.7s a lot and honestly can't tell a difference other then when there are big crosswinds

KarlC
02-05-2020, 03:48 PM
I would have a HARD look at the Bontrager Aeolus XXX6 wheels, ask around you will not be sorry.

Spdntrxi
02-05-2020, 03:57 PM
there should be only a difference of 20g between your 4.5AR rear and a 5.6disc rear.. I doubt you notice. I have both and would race both. Tire choice would be the important factor and 4.5AR cant run every tire and you are limited to 28mm and up.

echappist
02-05-2020, 04:21 PM
the difference is 100 grams (btwn the 5.6 and the 3.4). The attributable difference due to that 100 grams per se, on a 8% climb is ~0.02 kph; one would need to apply ~0.5 watt more to keep pace. Were that climb to go on for two miles, one would be slower by 0.6 seconds.

absolutely minuscule weight increase for a 20 mm increase in wheel depth

I can understand about worrying about a pound of difference in wheel mass. 100 grams is nothing

Not to mention, no race close to Madison averages 8% for two miles...

Velocipede
02-05-2020, 04:24 PM
To the OP, mismatch pairs can be ordered or built. So if you wanted a 4.5, 5.5, 4.6 or whatever, that can be done. I built a pair of 4.4's for someone with Powertap front and rear hubs.

uber
02-05-2020, 07:30 PM
I have had 3.4's, and still ride 6.7's and 4.5's on rim brake bikes. Never loved the 3.4's as I never felt they were giving me the aero benefit of the other wheels. 4.5's are absolutely fine in cross winds, but I don't race and I am sure I dont put demands on wheels as you do. I too am ordering a new Madone and am going with the Bontrager 60mm wheels in tubular. Reviews seem to be very good and I am willing to give them a try. I have no experience with 5.6's, sorry. I have gotten some
good info from customer service at Enve.

veloduffer
02-06-2020, 06:24 AM
I just got my new Madone and put on the Aeolus XXX 4, which are as good as my Enve and Campy Bora wheelsets.

You can mix and match depths with them too. I would also ask if your Trek dealer for a discount with the bike purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
02-06-2020, 07:57 AM
the difference is 100 grams (btwn the 5.6 and the 3.4). The attributable difference due to that 100 grams per se, on a 8% climb is ~0.02 kph; one would need to apply ~0.5 watt more to keep pace. Were that climb to go on for two miles, one would be slower by 0.6 seconds.

I can understand about worrying about a pound of difference in wheel mass. 100 grams is nothing

Reality, what a concept but as has been mentioned..crosswinds? A Big Deal with Big rims..

Mark McM
02-06-2020, 09:09 AM

The difference in power is probably less than 0.5 W, because the 5.6 wheels will have lower aerodynamic drag. Depending on the speed and wind angle, the heavier 5.6 wheels might even require less power to climb an 8% grade than the 3.4 wheels.

Tony
02-06-2020, 09:19 AM
I would have a HARD look at the Bontrager Aeolus XXX6 wheels, ask around you will not be sorry.

I've mounted tires on both the XXX6 and XXX4, excellent workmanship, flawless in comparison to ENVE.

echappist
02-06-2020, 09:56 AM
Reality, what a concept but as has been mentioned..crosswinds? A Big Deal with Big rims..

thankfully, I think the modern wheels can deal with crosswinds relatively well

in my more foolish days, I once raced on an old school 404 front with a Stinger 6 rear (the Stinger 6 front was out of service). There wasn't even that much wind, but on a 2-mile long descent that averaged -8%, it was truly frightening when we passed the more exposed sections of the descent.
The difference in power is probably less than 0.5 W, because the 5.6 wheels will have lower aerodynamic drag. Depending on the speed and wind angle, the heavier 5.6 wheels might even require less power to climb an 8% grade than the 3.4 wheels.

you raise a good point, at least when one is attacking those sections. Those speeds may just be high enough to tip the scale in favor of the 5.6 wheels.

As a cat-3 with better than average w/kg, I was never fast enough on the steep ramps (even while attacking the short, minute-long ones) where the aero benefit would offset 150g of add'l rim mass. Might be different for the OP.

ltwtsculler91
02-06-2020, 10:36 AM
I've mounted tires on both the XXX6 and XXX4, excellent workmanship, flawless in comparison to ENVE.

I just picked up a set of XXX2s after loving my older Aeolus3s. A buddy has gone to XXX6's after using almost everything else out there and think's they're great even as a bigger guy.

If you're going Madone and liked your Aeolus, why go to Enve?
Of the people I know with both sets of wheels, the folks with the Bontrager ones have been happier overall. Enve has more cache, but more issues, and its not a better product

duff_duffy
02-06-2020, 11:08 AM
I regret selling my Bontrager wheels mentioned above, never tried ENVE but second those that liked the Bontragers.

lavi
02-06-2020, 12:01 PM
I like Enve over other carbon. My opinion.

I had the 4.5s for a few years along with the older "Edge" tubulars prior to that. I'm on board with what Enve, as a company, does. Great wheels. Zero issues (I'm 6'2", ~190-200).

I have heard folks mention they think the Enves (SES gen) in general are soft or flex under aggressive riding. I never, not once, experienced any brake rub or anything to give me the idea the wheels were flexing. Yes, I raced them too.

These wheels are in the Pro Tour...so there's that. I don't think a pro team would tolerate soft, flex-y wheels.

Pinned
02-06-2020, 05:47 PM
Just a curiosity, but why would you consider the AR series wheels to be less adept at cornering?

Mikej
02-06-2020, 06:18 PM

I have the 4’s and they are spectacular-

earlfoss
02-06-2020, 07:36 PM
Just a curiosity, but why would you consider the AR series wheels to be less adept at cornering?

I own a set of AR4.5 and they're excellent wheels. I would even run them in a road race, but for crits the low tire pressure soaks up watts and speed. Not by a lot, but it's noticeable.

Kyle h
02-06-2020, 07:48 PM

Another +1. The XXX are fantastic wheels all around. I’ve been keeping an eye out for a set of 6s to replace my 5.6. Nothing with the ENVE but the XXX quality seems to be a step above.

earlfoss
02-06-2020, 09:11 PM
I’m looking pretty hard at the xxx6 now too! My Aeolus 5 were bombproof. I sold them because I went to disc and they were rim brake.

I didn’t realize the price was comparable to the Enves. Planning to head to my shop to take a look in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

veloduffer
02-07-2020, 07:41 AM
I’m looking pretty hard at the xxx6 now too! My Aeolus 5 were bombproof. I sold them because I went to disc and they were rim brake.

I didn’t realize the price was comparable to the Enves too. Planning to head to my shop to take a look in person.

See if your Trek dealer will give you a discount. Mine took off nearly 15% off the wheels with the combined Madone purchase.

hobbanero
02-07-2020, 02:05 PM
+1 for using the ARs. I have been going wider and wider on my race wheels. Currently using Eastons that are about 20.5mm inner bead width. I use a 23/25 labeled tire combo (F/R) that measures out to 26/28 on the rim. I run 75-80 psi and the bike corners really well.

For my next race bike, I am planning to go to the AR wheels so I can still be aero using a tire that measures out to 30mm. Slightly heavier, but still aero and so comfy, and imho better at cornering on real world crit courses.

earlfoss
03-12-2020, 07:04 PM
A brief update:

I bought a set of Bontrager XXX6 and they are GREAT. No regrets. They handle perfectly in all but the craziest crosswinds, and they're fast.

On top of the performance and dependability angle, the new Bontrager warranty makes purchasing a set a no-brainer.

I highly recommend.