PDA

View Full Version : DA or Campy?

Abzotech
05-12-2004, 02:37 PM
I currently have a Dura-Ace 9-speed with FSA carbon crank 53/39 chainring on my Serotta CTi.

I want to get FSA's compact crank with 50/34, and a new wheelset. Since this crank is compatible with both DA & Record, and since I'm shoping for a new wheelset as well. Now I want to upgrade the rest of my components to a 10-speed. Hell!... I might just break down and get an Ottrott St as well. But that's another story.

I'm sure this has been debated before. But what do you guys & gals think of DA 10 versus Record 10 as per your personnal experience? Also should I just stick with my good'ol DA 9?

Roy E. Munson
05-12-2004, 02:41 PM
Oh God, PLEASE don't ask this question :crap:

zap
05-12-2004, 02:44 PM
Record.

Dura Ace works-but its Dura Ace. Use it on my crummy bike.

Record has passion- and it works :banana:

Oh, and get the Ottrott ST while your at it. Carbon components go well with carbon tubes.

jeffg
05-12-2004, 02:45 PM
Oh God, PLEASE don't ask this question :crap:

Indeed. The easy answer: stick with DA 9. That way you don't have to pay the ridiculous prices for cassettes, etc. for DA or Campy 10! :crap: :crap: :crap:

Abzotech
05-12-2004, 02:57 PM
Okay, okay. I get it. Disregard my thread please.

I just did a search on this topic within this board and found similar mega discussion on this subject. I'll just extrapolate my curiosity on this from there.

Thanks.
Rosana Dana Dana

dirtdigger88
05-12-2004, 03:51 PM
Suntour :banana:

Jeff N.
05-12-2004, 07:49 PM
Huret. Weinmann. Sugino. Jeff N.

Jeff N.
05-12-2004, 07:53 PM
The new DA-10 blows away ANYTHING Campy....to smithereens. There, I said it. Jeff N.

jeffg
05-12-2004, 08:08 PM
:crap: The new DA-10 blows away ANYTHING Campy....to smithereens. There, I said it. Jeff N.

:no: :no: :no: :butt: :butt: :butt:

BTW, I have DA & Campy and they are both great. On a more relevant note: a Legend blows away any other Ti bike I have ever ridden ... to smithereens. There, I said it. ;)

Litespeeder
05-12-2004, 09:25 PM
The DA10 is just better in terms of performance. It's really not even close. I can see how one might argue between record 10 and DA9 but DA10 is really in a league of it's own. It's just superb in every way.

On one of my bikes, I have the DA10 crank on DA9. The new crank alone will make a significant difference but you will not see any improvements in shifting. I did talk to another rider recently who replaced the crank, chain and FD on his DA9 setup with DA10 and apparently it works great. Trust me, DA10 changes everything. The old shimano campy arguments are no longer valid now that DA10 has been introduced.

:cool: :beer:

Litespeeder
05-12-2004, 09:38 PM
:crap:

:no: :no: :no: :butt: :butt: :butt:

BTW, I have DA & Campy and they are both great. On a more relevant note: a Legend blows away any other Ti bike I have ever ridden ... to smithereens. There, I said it. ;)

You have obviously never ridden a Vamoots SL. The SL is probably 1 lbs lighter than a legend and it's just the smoothest and sweetest ride out there. I can write a million words on how great the Vamoots SL is but the only way to convince you would be to take an SL out for a century. After the ride, you'll be placing your legend on ebay to get enough cash for the SL.

:cool:

:beer:

Too Tall
05-13-2004, 06:42 AM
COWARD!!! You started it (wink wink).

We really need a 100% american gruppo that includes shifters so we can lie about someting else ;)

jeffg
05-13-2004, 07:52 AM
You have obviously never ridden a Vamoots SL. The SL is probably 1 lbs lighter than a legend and it's just the smoothest and sweetest ride out there. I can write a million words on how great the Vamoots SL is but the only way to convince you would be to take an SL out for a century. After the ride, you'll be placing your legend on ebay to get enough cash for the SL.

:cool:

:beer:

Don't think so ... I have ridden other 6/4 bikes and they are not to my liking. Moots is just using the new Reynolds tubing so its not really any different from an Airbone (it's the welds dammit)! Frankly, a Colnago CT-1 is the nicest 6/4 riding bike I have tried.

As for weight, give it up. Maybe a .4 lb difference -- my Legend is under 3 pounds in a 56X57. Want a light frame that rides great? My Hampsten carbon is just a hair over 2 pounds.

Oh, and you can keep that garish high-Q crank too ;) My DA 9 bike proudly sports a PMP crank.

pjm
05-13-2004, 08:16 AM
If you can wait, Campy is coming out with there own Compact carbon cranks later this year. They will also have a compact specific front derailleur. I'm sure they will be more $$ than the FSA though.

bostondrunk
05-13-2004, 09:17 AM
I don't understand what people are talking about when they say that the new DA 10 crankset 'really makes a difference'.
Was your DA 9 crankset flexing?!?!?!
To the original poster, choose whichever groupo's shifters you prefer in terms of feel. If you like the shifters the same, then get the one you think looks the nicest.

Roy E. Munson
05-13-2004, 09:31 AM
I have to agree with the Beantown Inebriated here - who on here has been flexing their DA 9 crank?

I can see the smoother bb or something like that.

zap
05-13-2004, 09:45 AM
Ditto.

I've ridden the stiffest crank (Magic) produced for a year. Still have the mid 90's Dura crank that was tested to be one of the more flexy designs around. In typical 25+mph riding, I couldn't tell the difference.

What I do notice is increased Q. Thats why, IMHO, the current outboard bearing designs are just crap. Cannondale's SI design is ideal.

jeffg
05-13-2004, 09:51 AM
FWIW, DA and Campy have poor records when it comes to BBs. The DA 10 BB should be an advance in terms of design over DA 9, though the Q factor on the crank still bothers me. Solution? Campy crank with Phil SS BB -- sweet! 25,000 worry free, smooth spinning miles.

bostondrunk
05-13-2004, 11:43 AM
But what does the 'advanced' BB do for anyone? My campy 10 BB spins just fine. Since it seems to be a sealed unit, I just replace the damn thing for 50 bucks every couple of years for the hell of it.
Get the groupo that you think looks the best, or the shifters that work for you.
What ever happend to the Sachs ergo-like shifters???

Climb01742
05-13-2004, 11:51 AM
for me, the two biggest differences between DA9 and DA10 are: far crisper shifts and the design of the brifters. the shifts are night&day better. and to my mitts, the new brifters feel better. i couldn't flex the old cranks, so i sure can't flex the new ones.

jeffg
05-13-2004, 11:57 AM
But what does the 'advanced' BB do for anyone? My campy 10 BB spins just fine.

Le Boston ivre -- It's not that the new DA is "advanced" in the some futuristic way. It's just that the design should be more durable than the awful DA 9 BBs. First generation stuff was garbage. I put an Ultegra BB unit in that worked better, but still lasted only about 6K miles before needing replacement. Now I have moved to PMP on that bike, and it works great, though longevity is still not like a Phil.

As for Campy: 6-7K tops from that BB.

Phil: 25K :banana: :banana: