PDA

View Full Version : contact lenses and cycling

chiasticon
02-04-2020, 11:07 AM
so I'm trying to make the transition to using either Rx sunglasses, or simply nothing, over to using contacts with standard sunglasses. I'm near-sighted, so I can get away without wearing any Rx reasonably well, but it's way better with Rx lenses in (I'm actually required to wear Rx lenses when driving). I also want to be able to take sunglasses off if it gets dark or rains, and still be able to see.

that said, I'm having some trouble with riding with contacts. I'm only in my first week of wearing them and I do have a follow-up with the optometrist coming. in the three rides I've done with them in, the first went fine but on the other two the contacts dried up and either fell out or shifted enough that I needed to pull them out. they were literally bone dry and kind of curled up when I removed them. I could feel them kind of shifting/flapping within maybe twenty minutes of the ride start.

on the first ride I was wearing Oakley Radar Path sunglasses, and Oakley Jawbones on the second two (which I would think the Jawbones would block wind more actually). both the second two rides were pretty windy, but windy rides are not uncommon here. and again, I don't want to be tied to sunglasses.

I'm guessing that I just don't have a good fit but it's also possible that the lenses they gave me (Acuvue Pure Moist daily) aren't conducive to this. so... I'm wondering what other riders' experiences have been. might help me make a better informed decision when returning to the optometrist.

benb
02-04-2020, 11:17 AM
I could never even come close to making it work for the same reasons you're mentioning.

One thing.. are you sure the Oakleys actually fit you well? You might fare much better with a pair of glasses over your contacts that were fit by an Optician if the Oakleys were just grabbed off the shelf.

Frame selection can be really critical once you have an Rx and/or a special need like contacts.

Many people here on this forum have Rx cycling glasses from Sports Optical... I have been so happy with mine (Rudy Project Rydon) that I have 0 desire to try and make contacts work for me again. I have had much much better luck with the Rudy Projects than the Oakley RX frames I had prior FWIW. They just fit me better. Eyes stay much less dry & irritated and I get much less stuff in my eyes.

It's winter right now which is going to make eyes/contacts drying out even more of an issue right now.

cgolvin
02-04-2020, 11:20 AM
I've been riding with contacts for quite a few years now. Over the years I have used a variety of brands of dailies, not really finding a lot of difference among them. While it's not unusual for me to feel the lenses getting dry, I've only lost one once.

Here's the best advice I can offer: I always ride with a tiny bottle of eye drops and will re-moisten as needed (though probably not as often as I should, kind of like hydrating the rest of my body).

veloduffer
02-04-2020, 11:29 AM
I use Acuvue Moist for many years and have no problems with them drying out. I use Oakley Radarlock Path as well and have no issues.

I think it varies from person to person. Eye drops help, blinking more often, and maybe closer fitting glasses. Also, a helmet with a visor or cycling cap underneath may also deflect the wind, especially at the top of the glasses where there’s more of a gap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veloo
02-04-2020, 11:30 AM
I'm surprised you still got dry eyes and lenses with those Oakleys since they have quite a bit of coverage.
The cons of wearing contacts outweighed the pros for me almost 10 years ago.
There are a number of threads here and I'd recommend going with a direct Rx lens. If you're like me and need a set of lenses that require the frame to have a flatter profile vs a wrap around, that can make things a bit trickier and change how the lenses will work on a frame that you may think is good for you.

I have a pair of Adidas Evil Eye Halfrim Pro and also a pair of Rudy Project Rydon. Both have a set of transition lenses by Zeiss which work quite well. At first I thought it might look goofy but so far a number of folks have found them to be cool and interesting.

The Adidas have a bit more coverage but the Rx on that wasn't as up to date.
The Rydon's have a better Rx, I like the bendable arms, but the lenses are smaller and seem to fit a bit more forward so I find air gets in and my eyes get a bit dryer when riding with them vs the Adidas.
The arms on the Adidas are also bulkier and not bendable so I wasn't able to wear them with the Kask Mojito which has a big, chunky retention system.

Because of the wrap around profile, I find the Rx isn't as good as my regular prescription glasses.

I haven't used contacts in years. Got sick of the production, wasn't wearing them regularly so I found myself throwing out expired liquids and lenses too often.

velomateo
02-04-2020, 11:34 AM
I've worn contacts for over ten years. Since you're new to them, it may take a couple tries to find the brand that fit your eyes the best, so don't be afraid to try different ones. Your optometrist should be able to offer you samples to test.

To prevent my eyes drying out, I need to always be wearing sun glasses while riding. I have struggled with dry eyes at times though, because it's gets dry and windy where I live. I take a fish oil every day, and recently started taking two and instantly felt that my eyes didn't get as dry later in the day - as they normally do. This may help you too.

NHAero
02-04-2020, 11:40 AM
I've been wearing Cooper Vision Vertex Toric (astigmatism) for many years without super high coverage sunglasses (or clear lenses - always ride with eye protection) and don't have issues. You can speak with your prescriber and outline your issues, and perhaps they can find a more suitable product for you.

FlashUNC
02-04-2020, 11:43 AM
Toric ProClear lenses here, never had an issues, glasses, no glasses. I'd talk to your optometrist about fit and use.

windsurfer
02-04-2020, 11:44 AM
I've worn them for many years. Key is to get the correct radius so that there is a very slight shift in the lens every time you blink. If they don't move, they will dry out and have the problems you describe. Work with your Dr to get a good fit. I was luck when I first started wearing them because my Dr also raced bikes.

chiasticon
02-04-2020, 11:56 AM
I've worn them for many years. Key is to get the correct radius so that there is a very slight shift in the lens every time you blink. If they don't move, they will dry out and have the problems you describe. Work with your Dr to get a good fit.interesting... I have an astigmatism so the contacts I have need to be in the correct way (tiny little lines at top and bottom) in order to correct this. if not in the correct way, blinking causes them to shift and rotate until they are. so I wonder if what you describe is even possible for me? although NHAero is using contacts with astigmatism and no issues, so maybe that's how...

thanks for all the thoughts on this so far! sounds like biggest factor will be talking to my optometrist about the issues I'm having. wondering if the lenses they gave me were partially a tester just for getting used to putting them in/taking them out, more than being an exact fit. hence the follow up a week later.

FlashUNC
02-04-2020, 11:58 AM
interesting... I have an astigmatism so the contacts I have need to be in the correct way (tiny little lines at top and bottom) in order to correct this. if not in the correct way, blinking causes them to shift and rotate until they are. so I wonder if what you describe is even possible for me? although NHAero is using contacts with astigmatism and no issues, so maybe that's how...

thanks for all the thoughts on this so far! sounds like biggest factor will be talking to my optometrist about the issues I'm having. wondering if the lenses they gave me were partially a tester just for getting used to putting them in/taking them out, more than being an exact fit. hence the follow up a week later.

I'm also in that astigmatism/near sighted bucket. Right lenses you should be able to ride without issue.

bshell
02-04-2020, 12:03 PM
Alcon Total 1 user these days but been riding with contacts for 25+ years w/o a problem, glasses or not.

There were a few brands that fit my eyes horribly but my eye doc always sent me home with free samples to try before buying.

Fit is paramount, assuming no one has said you have dry eyes as a condition.

Best of luck.

windsurfer
02-04-2020, 12:03 PM
interesting... I have an astigmatism so the contacts I have need to be in the correct way (tiny little lines at top and bottom) in order to correct this. if not in the correct way, blinking causes them to shift and rotate until they are. so I wonder if what you describe is even possible for me? although NHAero is using contacts with astigmatism and no issues, so maybe that's how...

I have a toric in one eye and spherical in the other. The toric may be a little harder to install, but the spherical is more likely to dry out on long hot windy rides.

zap
02-04-2020, 12:04 PM
Last time I wore contact lenses was on a cold windy January day. As we were getting close to Antietam Battlefield my right contact lens became hard and popped out. A mile or two later at a convenience store I noticed that it landed on my cheek so I re-hydrated the lens (tap water) and popped it back in.

Thankfully no infection but I decided no more.

bshell
02-04-2020, 12:15 PM
Why the concern of infection?

Your eyes are awesome and deserve more credit. They can tolerate tap water/pool water/shower water/salt water etc.

robt57
02-04-2020, 12:17 PM
I ride for decades with soft lens. I found 20+ years ago Oakley M-Frame with 'heater' lens follow my facial features around my eye so well no ever had an issue more that the occasional one.

Occasional, very cold descending. Never popped a lens, just had to close that eye until wind and chill got lower.

Yes, still using M-Frames with heater lens. I'd be afraid to experiment. Lucky, is the lack of hinge has had the durability be so high my 1997-8 M-Frame is still in service. Few hundred dollars of lens later.. [more than few perhaps]

If I am riding I have contacts in, period. The visual equity is mandatory for me.

Moral; if you can find a lens/system that hugs your face with little gap variance as I have, you may find similar adequate results.

EDIT: I have been using AcuVue variations for 30+ years. Current iteration AcuVue2. And among the least expensive out there. Like 3.00 per lens discounted.

Plum Hill
02-04-2020, 12:41 PM
Take more time getting used to the contacts before making judgements.
Ride with wrap-around sunglasses and carry a bottle of Refresh drops with you.
I rode with hard contacts from 1971 to 2015 with only minor problems. Astigmatisms finally got me.

ToonaBP
02-04-2020, 12:49 PM
I've been wearing contacts for over 40 years. Back then they were steamed to disinfect. After a detached retina in my left eye several years ago, my eye was reshaped with a buckle, and contacts in that eye would dry up. Thought I would just have to live with it. About two years ago, my optometrist suggested I try daily lens, and gave me four brands to try. Cooper Vision My Daily felt great with clear vision and no drying out. I also use several Oakley pro M and M frames glasses that I can't seem to part with...

el cheapo
02-04-2020, 01:54 PM
Rode with contacts for over thirty years until they started blowing off when my eyes would water in cold weather. Went to a Wiley X Rx frame and I will never wear contacts again.

CAAD
02-04-2020, 04:17 PM
Been riding for years with contacts and no issues. Even on a cold dark morning without sunglasses on yet, I don't have any issues. Everyone is different that's why there are so many different contacts out there. Try another brand. It took me a while to find the perfect combo. I use monthly lenses, Biofinity in my left eye and Acuvue Vita in the right.

Alaska Mike
02-04-2020, 10:05 PM
Due to uneven cornea thickness, I have to wear special hard contacts. Want to know what a small speck of dirt or salt sweat feels like under them? Jab an ice pick into your eye repeatedly. That’s a pretty close approximation.

Good contact lens fit and good sunglasses coverage is the difference in me riding and sitting on the couch. Native sunglasses (forgotten the model) with interchangeable lenses fit my face just about perfectly. Try a bunch on and see what works for you.

zzy
02-04-2020, 10:28 PM
Why the concern of infection?

Your eyes are awesome and deserve more credit. They can tolerate tap water/pool water/shower water/salt water etc.
You may want to read about Acanthamoeba. It's very real.

I ride for decades with soft lens. I found 20+ years ago Oakley M-Frame with 'heater' lens follow my facial features around my eye so well no ever had an issue more that the occasional one.
Try Raderlocks. Best replacement for M Frames I've found, and not as.. 90s.. looking.

On dry winter days eye drops are a must, and close fitting lenses. I mostly just ride with my normal glasses.

eippo1
02-04-2020, 10:44 PM
Been wearing contacts for 30 years now and haven't even given a thought to them being bothersome. Used to do triathlons and everything in them. I rotate between B&L puremoist silicone and Acuvue Oasis Transition. Like the thinness of the Acuvue, but the B&L are more comfortable for long periods of time.

Biggest thing is that your eyes need to adjust to them. They'll figure out that they need to put out more moisture as you continue to wear them. My cycling sunglasses are usually Flak jackets and seem to do fine in wind coverage. Goggles are a must for winter riding and snowboarding.

As others said, get drops -- I like Blink. I have a pair of prescription Jawbones for those days when my eyes just won't cooperate with lenses. You gotta have something for when that inevitably happens. Otherwise, I recommend taking your lenses out as soon as you get home if you wear them to work. Been doing this for years and it leads to much more comfortable eyes that are them much more accepting of lenses for the next day or day after.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

bikinchris
02-05-2020, 01:57 AM
I wear contacts and learned to use M frame Oakleys because glasses that let air pass over my eyes dry up my eyes.
No ventilation allowed.

eric01
02-05-2020, 03:29 AM
Youre new to wearing contacts? Do you only wear them when you’re riding? Do you get dry eyes off the bike while wearing them?

I’ve been riding with contacts and oakleys for decades.

Everyone is different. But I would suggest wearing them off bike for a period to give your eyes time to adjust.

mdeth1313
02-05-2020, 05:37 AM
Youre new to wearing contacts? Do you only wear them when you’re riding? Do you get dry eyes off the bike while wearing them?

Everyone is different. But I would suggest wearing them off bike for a period to give your eyes time to adjust.

This. I've been wearing contacts for 37 years. Never had an issue with them drying up and/or falling out while riding (over 20 years). My wife is an optometrist. Make sure you have lenses that actually fit your eyes. If the base curve doesn't match they'll be all over the place. Also, if you don't have an issue with silicone lenses they breath much better, which keeps everything moist.

chiasticon
02-05-2020, 06:17 AM

Everyone is different. But I would suggest wearing them off bike for a period to give your eyes time to adjust.yes I'm new to them. and yes I mainly plan on wearing them while riding. being near-sighted, I don't need them at work (computer) or when on the computer/phone at home; in fact, it's better to have the ability to take my glasses off as needed.

but while getting used to them over the past week, I've been trying to wear them as much as possible (put in when leaving work, wear 'em until bed). however, having them fall out onto the road has quickly torn through my supply, so that's been difficult.

I get it though, some of this could be that my eyes need to adjust.

shortroadie
02-05-2020, 07:18 AM
I use daily Acuvue Moist with 100% Speedcraft SL, was initially worried about it blocking too much wind and making my contacts dry but it was fine. Personally, if I felt that it was getting dry I would just blink more which helped abit.

eippo1
02-05-2020, 08:26 AM
Yeah wear them more often, but it sounds like the ones you have don't have a great fit. If you have gaps at the edges, wind will get underneath and dry them out. You might want to try out another brand/ model. Do you have an astigmatism? Even a slight astigmatism (not requiring toric) will make it a lot more important to find a lens that fits really well -- i.e. trying out multiple trial pairs.

Also, you might want to check out Wiley X sunglasses because a lot of them are designed for motorcycling and have gaskets etc to seal out wind. I know some that have tried them and liked them, but I think they fog a bit when at a stoplight after a hard effort.

https://wileyx.com/xl-1-advanced-sunglasses-291

yes I'm new to them. and yes I mainly plan on wearing them while riding. being near-sighted, I don't need them at work (computer) or when on the computer/phone at home; in fact, it's better to have the ability to take my glasses off as needed.

but while getting used to them over the past week, I've been trying to wear them as much as possible (put in when leaving work, wear 'em until bed). however, having them fall out onto the road has quickly torn through my supply, so that's been difficult.

I get it though, some of this could be that my eyes need to adjust.

bshell
02-05-2020, 11:39 AM
Thanks for pointing that out, Ozzy. Never heard of it and never heard of anyone getting it but Acanthamoeba is apparently everywhere.

"distributed worldwide, and have been isolated from soil, air, sewage, seawater, chlorinated swimming pools, domestic tap water, bottled water, dental treatment units, hospitals, air-conditioning units, and contact lens cases. Additionally, they have been isolated from human skin, nasal cavities, throats, and intestines, as well as plants and other mammals"

There are lots of things that are very real that you needn't worry about.

If you're going to get it from a contact resting on your cheek and then a few drops of tap water it was your destiny.