PDA

View Full Version : USA Cycling Shows Interest In Gravel

Clancy
02-03-2020, 08:54 PM
Current issue of Bicycle Retailer reports that officials from USA Cycling met with the organizers of the main gravel events - DK, SBT, Grinduro, Rooted Vermont, etc.

Interesting article. I’m looking at the print edition, do not know if it’s available on line.

Article states there are 700 gravel events on the competition calendar for 2020. That is crazy. Big crowds, marquee events sell out in minutes, pro riders, corporate owners. No wonder USAC is trying to trying to start some dialogue.

What is all this going to look like in 5 years. Or, are we looking at a bubble?

peanutgallery
02-04-2020, 05:20 AM
Bubble

Promoters will tire of bikeheads and their idiosyncrasies and go back to the rubes that participate in color runs and spartan races

USA Cycling is one bubble behind.... ebikes are next

Bentley
02-04-2020, 06:01 AM
I have always wanted to do a Mud Run but I don’t have the knees for it. Properly organized and managed I think gravel events offer an alternative. Add that most of it being on lightly travelled roads I think folks will see this as an alternative. Just my thoughts

oldpotatoe
02-04-2020, 07:44 AM
USA Cycling is a clueless bunch of autocrats who have no idea how to grow the sport....on ANY surface. The US is a third world nation when it comes to cycling.

Hawker
02-04-2020, 08:03 PM
USA Cycling is a clueless bunch of autocrats who have no idea how to grow the sport....on ANY surface. The US is a third world nation when it comes to cycling.

Sure seems like it.

fignon's barber
02-05-2020, 02:53 PM
USA Cycling: never a leader, always a parasite.

Lanternrouge
02-05-2020, 03:13 PM
I really don't see how anyone other than USA Cycling would benefit from integrating the gravel races. At best, the promoters would get access to less expensive insurance for the events.

fignon's barber
02-05-2020, 03:33 PM
I really don't see how anyone other than USA Cycling would benefit from integrating the gravel races.

Registration fees would double, so credit card companies would profit more.

Mark McM
02-06-2020, 08:46 AM
I really don't see how anyone other than USA Cycling would benefit from integrating the gravel races. At best, the promoters would get access to less expensive insurance for the events.

Insurance can sometimes be easier to arrange if a race is run under a USAC permit, but it generally isn't any less expensive (sometimes more expensive). And then you have to add in that all competitors/participants are required to have (and pay for) a USAC license. It's usually more expensive for participants, and no less expensive for organizers, to run a race under USAC.