PDA

View Full Version : New sponsors

gasman
02-03-2020, 02:32 PM
Hi everyone-

I'm sure you may have noticed the new banners ate the top of the page. We have a returning sponsor-Bike Tires Direct and a new sponsor-Velocipede.
Bike Tires Direct was a sponsor for a couple of years. They have great prices, are easy to work with and are really nice when you call them. My orders arrive quickly and are accurate.

Our sponsors help keep the lights on at this forum. Without their financial support we wouldn't be the Paceline. Their support goes to web hosting and infrastructure support. All the mods have there pay doubled year ly from $0 to $0.

Thanks for supporting our sponsors and our vendors-who also help support us.

Clean39T
02-03-2020, 03:22 PM
Three thumbs up for BikeTiresDirect!

They have an expanded storefront near PDX now that's worth a visit if you're flying in.....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

superbowlpats
02-03-2020, 03:45 PM
I use Bike Tires Direct quite often, great prices, great delivery. :hello:

XXtwindad
02-03-2020, 03:55 PM
Hi everyone-

I'm sure you may have noticed the new banners ate the top of the page. We have a returning sponsor-Bike Tires Direct and a new sponsor-Velocipede.
Bike Tires Direct was a sponsor for a couple of years. They have great prices, are easy to work with and are really nice when you call them. My orders arrive quickly and are accurate.

Our sponsors help keep the lights on at this forum. Without their financial support we wouldn't be the Paceline. Their support goes to web hosting and infrastructure support. All the mods have there pay doubled year ly from $0 to $0.

Thanks for your work. (and the other mods)

eddief
02-03-2020, 04:51 PM
are they actually a US distributor for Hunt Wheels? Buy from them or direct?

CNY rider
02-03-2020, 05:28 PM

For a second when I first read the original post I thought the kids from across the hall were treating us to lunch!

charliedid
02-03-2020, 05:57 PM

Appears to be Salesguy.

Velocipede
02-03-2020, 06:18 PM
Appears to be Salesguy.

Correct. It's the website for all the brands I bring in.

charliedid
02-03-2020, 06:20 PM
Correct. It's the website for all the brands I bring in.

Nice, like the site.

Best of luck going forward.

Velocipede
02-03-2020, 06:27 PM
Nice, like the site.

Best of luck going forward.

Thank you. I've had the site for years. Needs updating like all websites do.

Lanternrouge
02-03-2020, 09:27 PM
Thank you. I've had the site for years. Needs updating like all websites do.

You carry some really cool stuff. It will be nice to see it all in one place without having to follow the external links. Unfortunately, the site reminds me of really cool stuff that I don't need and shouldn't get, but like to think about getting.

MagicHour
02-03-2020, 09:37 PM
Good news I shop at BTD all the time.

Hi everyone-

Velocipede
02-03-2020, 10:07 PM
You carry some really cool stuff. It will be nice to see it all in one place without having to follow the external links. Unfortunately, the site reminds me of really cool stuff that I don't need and shouldn't get, but like to think about getting.

Sorry. I have been swamped with NAHBS builds and trying to get everyone settled for the show. So I haven't had the chance to update it completely. But the list is growing all the time.

Bixxis - Doriano De Rosa at 16 made the frame Eddy Merckx used to win Milan-San Remo in 1976. Steel and titanium frames made in Italy
Grandis - 2nd oldest continuously family owned bike company in the world. 11th oldest bicycle company in the world. 90th anniversary this year. Steel, carbon and aluminum frames made in Italy
Enigma- steel, titanium and stainless steel frames made in England
FiftyOne - handmade carbon frames from Ireland
Falcon - carbon rims made in Montreal
Aivee - hubs made in France
Hunt - fantastic price-point alloy and carbon wheels from England
Beast - carbon components made in Germany(stem, bar, post, rim, saddle)
Middleburn - alloy components made in England
PMP/Noxon - components made in Italy
Repente - saddles made in Italy
FMB - tires, made in France

I have a few more that are being finalized.

vqdriver
02-03-2020, 10:22 PM
Bike tires has been pretty awesome for me in the past and try to remember to click thru this site whenever I need to buy something. Dunno if they track that stuff but I figure it couldn't hurt.

Velocipede is new to me but upon first glance looks to have a lot of forum faves. I like

Lanternrouge
02-03-2020, 10:37 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your stuff from NAHBS.

Sorry. I have been swamped with NAHBS builds and trying to get everyone settled for the show. So I haven't had the chance to update it completely. But the list is growing all the time.

Bixxis - Doriano De Rosa at 16 made the frame Eddy Merckx used to win Milan-San Remo in 1976. Steel and titanium frames made in Italy
Grandis - 2nd oldest continuously family owned bike company in the world. 11th oldest bicycle company in the world. 90th anniversary this year. Steel, carbon and aluminum frames made in Italy

Velocipede
02-04-2020, 05:52 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your stuff from NAHBS.

Bixxis and Grandis will be unveiling new models at NAHBS.

Bixxis will have their new Epopea(Epic) lugged steel frame using Columbus SL tubing and custom lugs. Both Doriano and Martina De Rosa will be in the booth to discuss the new frame.

Grandis will have a new 90th Anniversary frame- custom lugs with their custom Columbus Overmax tubing. As well as a new 'Super' gravel frame in steel. Custom shaped tubing done in-house will be part of the new gravel frame. Alessandro Grandis will be in the booth to discuss the new frames.

FiftyOne might be at NAHBS. They had planned it but have changed their minds but are being persuaded to hopefully return. Food and drinks are being used to bribe them. If they attend, they may have some new 3D printed prototypes there. Not 100% sure. I should know by Wednesday.

Aivee will have hubs in a few booths as well as their gorgeous truing stand and possibly the prototype of their new Tensio and some other pieces.

We will have Repente saddles on bikes as well as the Beast full carbon saddles(no padding). PMP Titanium posts on more than one bike and of course FMB Tires.

I am still work on getting Greg LeMond to attend and show off their new bikes and to do a talk/signing. It's a matter of timing now. They are also trying to get the new bikes or A Bike ready in time. They've said they would like to be there. Hopefully I will know this week when I speak to them on Wednesday.

oldpotatoe
02-04-2020, 08:31 AM
Aivee will have hubs in a few booths as well as their gorgeous truing stand

Do they make a truing stand that doesn't use dials? Dials make you crazy, particularly these days with disc brake rims and their often crappy/wavy/inconsistent sidewalls and lack of roundness...plus STICKERS!! Geez, don't put stickers on the rim where the truing stand touches!!

It's nice to get a rim true/round/tensioned then see that, (mostly disc brake), rim tension is all over the map..alloy rim brake rims with machined sidewalls(since trueness and roundness matters on a rim brake wheel) oh so much better. I find it laughable that with all these disc brake rims, a truing stand uses dials..:eek:
Save the $ and build a great tension meter, cuz that's the state of disc brake wheels...

Rant over...

Velocipede
02-04-2020, 09:08 AM
Do they make a truing stand that doesn't use dials? Dials make you crazy, particularly these days with disc brake rims and their often crappy/wavy/inconsistent sidewalls and lack of roundness...plus STICKERS!! Geez, don't put stickers on the rim where the truing stand touches!!

It's nice to get a rim true/round/tensioned then see that, (mostly disc brake), rim tension is all over the map..alloy rim brake rims with machined sidewalls(since trueness and roundness matters on a rim brake wheel) oh so much better. I find it laughable that with all these disc brake rims, a truing stand uses dials..:eek:
Save the $ and build a great tension meter, cuz that's the state of disc brake wheels...

Rant over...

Peter,

The stand has dials and a V-Channel to true to. So you can use either method. It's a gorgeous piece of engineering all done in their factory in France. If you would like to try a hubset, let me know. I'd love to know your thoughts on them. I'm very impressed with them. But I'd expect nothing less from a company who's parent is Airbus.

Velocipede
02-04-2020, 09:11 AM
Here is there new Tensio

Velocipede
02-04-2020, 09:16 AM
They are also working on a new Dishing Gauge.

joosttx
02-05-2020, 07:47 PM
I am intrigued by the Hunt Carbon wheels. How can they sell them for such low prices?

Lanternrouge
02-05-2020, 07:59 PM
I am intrigued by the Hunt Carbon wheels. How can they sell them for such low prices?

I think it's just that the spend less on branding than some of the other lines out there (see, e.g Zipp and Enve). I certainly don't need wheels, but still find the Hunt wheels intriguing.

Velocipede
02-05-2020, 08:42 PM

I think it's just that the spend less on branding than some of the other lines out there (see, e.g Zipp and Enve). I certainly don't need wheels, but still find the Hunt wheels intriguing.

Hunt wheels are designed in-house and use their own molds and layups. The wheels are assembled in Taiwan by the same people who assembled American Classic Wheels. Robert and crew in Taiwan are very very good with their builds. All of them are tested and tracked including the spoke tensions.

In terms of the hubs, spokes and rim quality, excellent. The hubs are not just off the shelf models. They use both straight pull and J-Bend style flanged models. Their hubs use precision Japanese Ezo Bearings. They are ultra smooth and spin beautifully.

The spokes are Pillar. Included with the wheels are extra spokes, a truing key, quick releases(for standard QR hubs), extra spoke nipples and rim reinforcement rings, tire levers and tubeless valve cores. They come with tubeless rim tape installed.

You asked how they can be so inexpensive? Overhead. It's very very low for Hunt. They don't keep a ton of stock, so that keeps costs down also. They also spend a lot less on advertising and branding as mentioned.

I've been dealing with Hunt since 2016 and Enigma has been dealing with them since they started. They are about 10 minutes down the road in East Sussex. They've been excellent to deal with if anything happens in shipping or if any warranty issues pop up. I put Hunt Wheels on 21 bikes last year alone, 16 were gravel wheels. Every pair has been perfect. The other ones I've sold not on bikes, I can't speak to their condition but I have not had them come back. Everyone has been incredibly happy with them. Not just the quality of them, but the looks.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

joosttx
02-05-2020, 08:54 PM
I appreciate the background. I am considering the 27.5 gravel carbon wheels. I like their price. Do the end caps come with them. There was not a place to specify what end cap you need.

Hunt wheels are designed in-house and use their own molds and layups. The wheels are assembled in Taiwan by the same people who assembled American Classic Wheels. Robert and crew in Taiwan are very very good with their builds. All of them are tested and tracked including the spoke tensions.

In terms of the hubs, spokes and rim quality, excellent. The hubs are not just off the shelf models. They use both straight pull and J-Bend style flanged models. Their hubs use precision Japanese Ezo Bearings. They are ultra smooth and spin beautifully.

The spokes are Pillar. Included with the wheels are extra spokes, a truing key, quick releases(for standard QR hubs), extra spoke nipples and rim reinforcement rings, tire levers and tubeless valve cores.

You asked how they can be so inexpensive? Overhead. It's very very low for Hunt. They don't keep a ton of stock, so that keeps costs down also. They also spend a lot less on advertising and branding as mentioned.

I've been dealing with Hunt since 2016 and Enigma has been dealing with them since they started. They are about 10 minutes down the road in East Sussex. They've been excellent to deal with if anything happens in shipping or if any warranty issues pop up. I put Hunt Wheels on 21 bikes last year alone, 16 were gravel wheels. Every pair has been perfect. The other ones I've sold not on bikes, I can't speak to their condition but I have not had them come back. Everyone has been incredibly happy with them. Not just the quality of them, but the looks.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Velocipede
02-05-2020, 09:10 PM
I appreciate the background. I am considering the 27.5 gravel carbon wheels. I like their price. Do the end caps come with them. There was not a place to specify what end cap you need.

Yes, they come with the hub end caps. You just specify which ones you would like. They are interchangeable between thru-axle and standard QR axles. There are 2 freehub body choices- Shimano/SRAM, Campagnolo and the SRAM XD or XR drivers. They do have the Shimano Micro Spline freehub body for mountain wheels as well.

I've done 4 Carbon 650/27.5 wheels in 2019. They are very nice and relatively light. Hunt doesn't make the lightest wheel. But they are consistently good. I've never seen the rim issues like were posted regarding the Enve rims in another thread. I'm really impressed with them.

joosttx
02-05-2020, 09:21 PM
Yes, they come with the hub end caps. You just specify which ones you would like. They are interchangeable between thru-axle and standard QR axles. There are 2 freehub body choices- Shimano/SRAM, Campagnolo and the SRAM XD or XR drivers. They do have the Shimano Micro Spline freehub body for mountain wheels as well.

I've done 4 Carbon 650/27.5 wheels in 2019. They are very nice and relatively light. Hunt doesn't make the lightest wheel. But they are consistently good. I've never seen the rim issues like were posted regarding the Enve rims in another thread. I'm really impressed with them.

Thanks. The claimed weight is light enough.

Velocipede
02-05-2020, 09:48 PM
Hunt are comparable to other wheel brands weight wise. My big thing is the quality of them.

cmbicycles
02-05-2020, 09:49 PM
Peter,

The stand has dials and a V-Channel to true to. So you can use either method. It's a gorgeous piece of engineering all done in their factory in France. If you would like to try a hubset, let me know. I'd love to know your thoughts on them. I'm very impressed with them. But I'd expect nothing less from a company who's parent is Airbus.Reminds me of the Park TS3 stand, except red makes it look faster. The V-channel is an interesting idea, a little outside the typical designs and kind of addresses Peter's concern with building wheels with rim decals since it just hits the corners of the rim. Any plan for use truing the wheel with the tire on?

The dishing gauge looks good, but I never liked the moveable pucks on the Park version as they felt cheaply made and didnt give a good sense of repeatability when using it. If the pucks on this one have a closer tolerance, and the button in the middle is a quick release for making one handed adjustments that would be a big improvement over some others. I still prefer the old Campy dishing tool as it's what I learned on.

josephr
02-06-2020, 08:05 AM
this thread has turned out to be quite interesting. thanks velocipede and btd! always a good experience from btd.

joosttx
02-06-2020, 08:18 AM
Hunt are comparable to other wheel brands weight wise. My big thing is the quality of them.

Yep

Velocipede
02-06-2020, 08:24 AM
Reminds me of the Park TS3 stand, except red makes it look faster. The V-channel is an interesting idea, a little outside the typical designs and kind of addresses Peter's concern with building wheels with rim decals since it just hits the corners of the rim. Any plan for use truing the wheel with the tire on?

The dishing gauge looks good, but I never liked the moveable pucks on the Park version as they felt cheaply made and didnt give a good sense of repeatability when using it. If the pucks on this one have a closer tolerance, and the button in the middle is a quick release for making one handed adjustments that would be a big improvement over some others. I still prefer the old Campy dishing tool as it's what I learned on.

Yeah, the design is similar to the Park TS3 stand. Much lighter, just as stiff and the action of the uprights is smoother. The V-Channel is really nice. It pull a bunch of light due to the finish so you can see the rim edges really well and like mentioned, it allows for rims trued with decals.

For truing with tires, dials. I've mentioned it. But there's nothing you can do anyways if it has decals down to the edge. Doesn't matter it's like the TS2.2 jaws or dials. So a dial it is.

The dishing gauge is is really nice. Stiffer than the Park version and the slides are much tighter. Another plus with these slides are they're tapered so less chance of them bumping a tire. They are also taller so they fit more tire sizes like gravel tires. And yes, the button is a trigger style so it's easy to use. It's a really well thought out design.

Velocipede
02-06-2020, 08:26 AM
this thread has turned out to be quite interesting. thanks velocipede and btd! always a good experience from btd.

btd?

Keith A
02-06-2020, 08:30 AM
btd?Bike Tires Direct...a returning sponsor.

R3awak3n
02-06-2020, 08:30 AM
btd?

bike tires direct

also. on hunt. I had a set of alloy wheels, they were very good. Also dunno how they got them to me so fast from the UK, they got to my door in 2 days. They were super nice, the truest wheels I ever had. My impression on how they managed to keep cheap is using parts like bitex hubs with better bearings, and same deal with rims and spokes (pillar vs sapin), ect... The wheels I had were great though, I would not hesitate to buy another set.

Dirtdiggler
02-06-2020, 08:36 AM
Looks like your in Westlake. Do you plan on opening a store ?

oldpotatoe
02-06-2020, 08:40 AM
Reminds me of the Park TS3 stand, except red makes it look faster. The V-channel is an interesting idea, a little outside the typical designs and kind of addresses Peter's concern with building wheels with rim decals since it just hits the corners of the rim. Any plan for use truing the wheel with the tire on?

The dishing gauge looks good, but I never liked the moveable pucks on the Park version as they felt cheaply made and didn't give a good sense of repeatability when using it. If the pucks on this one have a closer tolerance, and the button in the middle is a quick release for making one handed adjustments that would be a big improvement over some others. I still prefer the old Campy dishing tool as it's what I learned on.

I had a TS-3..used it twice, sent it back. And NOT the dial version..too many angles and dangles for the 'guides' for trueness and round.

V channel IS interesting in that it Is just on the edge but no provision for getting dish close while knowing trueness ala TS-2..I guess center on center of 'V'?

What I use also..can't be used on certain hubs, like Boost rears but..minority of builds.

Velocipede
02-06-2020, 09:41 AM
I had a TS-3..used it twice, sent it back. And NOT the dial version..too many angles and dangles for the 'guides' for trueness and round.

V channel IS interesting in that it Is just on the edge but no provision for getting dish close while knowing trueness ala TS-2..I guess center on center of 'V'?

What I use also..can't be used on certain hubs, like Boost rears but..minority of builds.

The Park stand was made overly complicated. Fortunately Aivee kept it simpler. I only used the TS3 when we were doing final recording of wheels while at American Classic. Always built with a TS2.

Correct. You would just use the V-Channel to center.

Velocipede
02-06-2020, 09:42 AM
Bike Tires Direct...a returning sponsor.

Ah. Gotcha.

Velocipede
02-06-2020, 09:56 AM
Looks like your in Westlake. Do you plan on opening a store ?

I am in a office/warehouse space right now but the plan was to open a showroom. The one place I wanted didn't want bikes around. He thought there would be kids hangin around and bikes all over the walkway. I tried to tell him that wouldn't be the case but he said no.

Keith A
02-06-2020, 04:32 PM
There's another new sponsor on-board...welcome Carl Strong and Pursuit!

RobJ
02-06-2020, 07:14 PM
Yes thanks to all the mods and others that work to keep this place what it is....there are some really good people around here and a wealth of knowledge.

Reminds me I am probably due for a donation :banana:

RobJ
02-06-2020, 07:17 PM

Excellent! Wish you the best of luck. Always liked the stuff you had listed here. And if you need East Coast distribution... :eek:

EliteVelo
02-06-2020, 08:27 PM
There's another new sponsor on-board...welcome Carl Strong and Pursuit!

Beautiful frames! Welcome.