PDA

View Full Version : Got caught in the rain - what do I do?

dekindy
01-07-2007, 05:16 PM
I got caught in the rain with my Serotta Fierte Steel. What do I need to do for proper care other than the normal cleaning?

FierteTi52
01-07-2007, 05:31 PM
You may want to remove the seapost and turn the bike upside down. Sometimes water can find it's way into the bottom bracket shell.I f nothing comes out your fine, if it does leave the bike upside down over night.
Jeff

BumbleBeeDave
01-07-2007, 06:18 PM
. . . I put it in the basement bathroom with the seatpost off, fire up my Sears dehumidifier, close the door, and leave it in there overnight. Poof! Dry as a bone.

BBD

shinomaster
01-07-2007, 06:25 PM
Take a hot shower and then make sure you have grease on you post.

AgilisMerlin
01-07-2007, 06:50 PM
pull post. drain out water by flipping upside down. WD40 down seat tube; leaved flipped overnight.

AmerliN

(i luv the smell of wd40)

Too Tall
01-07-2007, 07:41 PM
Wipe the chain and ride the bike ;)

Erik.Lazdins
01-07-2007, 08:07 PM
I have always had a hole in the bb and water drains out from there.

I had a bike without a hole and the frame collected a few ounces after wet rides. Once the hole was carefully drilled - no problems.

Peter P.
01-07-2007, 08:20 PM
It's probably too late, but I would have recommended cleaning the bike WHILE it's still wet; the dirt and whatnot comes off MUCH easier immediately after a soaking.

Here's what I'd do after a wet/snowy commute: (Wet brake dust makes the biggest mess).

I spray the sidewalls of the rims and tires with Simple Green and give it a scrub with a brush, then rinse with a hose or plant sprayer. Do one side of the bike then flip it around. I would also clean the drivertrain though not meticulously, with a chain cleaning device. Scrub the cogs, rings, pulleys, and chain and you're done. The rest of the frame might get a light brushing. Of course, my fenders helped keep much of the bike clean from messiness. The entire process took 10 minutes tops.

I would check my seatpost and stem maybe twice a year. Add grease as necessary. I would caution you against taking AgilisMerlin's advice about spraying WD-40 down the seattube. Yes; it removes moisture (that's what the "WD" stands for) but it will also dissolve any grease if it reaches the BB threads and any at the seatpost end. You could find things hard to move when you need to service them. I learned this the hard way with my stem.

Since your frame is steel, have it treated with J.P. Weigle's Framesaver. If the frame doesn't already have one, consider drilling a drainage hole in the bottom bracket for water to escape, or ask a competent bike shop to do it for you. It will NOT harm the bike.

davidlee
01-07-2007, 09:02 PM
One more thing... Let the air out of your tires and drain if necessary. You would be amazed how much h2o can get between your tires and the tube. Un-necessary rolling weight...
Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down..
dlee

chrisroph
01-07-2007, 09:40 PM

+1

Move to portland and stop worrying about a little water! :beer:

Steve Hampsten
01-07-2007, 09:54 PM
Take a hot shower and then make sure you have grease on your post.

Put some of that grease on the seatpost of your bike when finished.

Then think about fenders, or a fender bike.

Repeat as needed.

bcm119
01-07-2007, 09:58 PM

I ride a steel bike several times/week in the rain and thats my routine too! I usually give the pedals a backwards spin to shed the water and put it away... but I'm admittedly pretty lazy about bike maintenance.

William
01-08-2007, 05:12 AM
Many many wet wet wet Oregon rides on my Steel Serotta. Quick clean right after ride (include chain wipe), place in dry area, take a hot shower, chow, and relax.

William

Too Tall
01-08-2007, 07:17 AM
Bwahahah. Indulge me...I forgot about the "bike bounce" apre's rain ride.

As you are riding into the driveway put er' in the big meat 53X12. Than I bounce the bike off the pavement twice to knock off most of the water so it doesn't drain onto my garage floor soooo bad ;) Sometimes it knocks younglings out of the spokes too...that's a bonus. Hate that. (tch) Losers :rolleyes:

dekindy
01-08-2007, 08:48 AM
I have about 900 miles on the bike with no problems. I am wondering if I should take it in for a tune-up and have them put rustproofing in? Does it come treated from the factory?

Too Tall
01-08-2007, 11:13 AM
Good question. I think not. This is something you'll want to do during a major overhaul not a tune up. You need the BB out to spray the lower half of the frame.