PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for Brooklyn/Lower Manhattan mechanic?

brownhound
02-03-2020, 02:57 AM
I have a good friend (grade school teacher) who commutes by bike daily from Kensington in Brooklyn to East Village. His LBS is quoting him a really high price for work neither of us can understand - i.e., $250 to replace a cassette (10 speed Shimano on a Dura Ace wheel).

I’d like him to get a second opinion at a good, trustworthy mechanic nearby. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jemdet
02-03-2020, 04:10 AM
NYC Velo!

flydhest
02-03-2020, 05:19 AM
Bikebygato @gmail.com

Christian De Leon (Nickname “Gato”) is a top-notch mechanic who will come to you, pick up your bike, and return it in NY. He has worked on my Zank and my Goodrich.

Modestly priced, very high quality.

PBWrench
02-03-2020, 06:35 AM
Brooklyn: R&A on 5th is good , but pricey. I like Ride Brooklyn, just south of Flatbush on Bergen. Small shop, great mechanics, very reasonable. And while Flydhest is a trusted DC brother, be wary of a "top-botch" wrench. Rubber side down!

the bottle ride
02-03-2020, 06:36 AM
Your friend should buy the cassette off of eBay and take it to the shop- and maybe buy himself a 10 speed chain as well

I am guessing the price he was quoted included the cassette- the shop has to source that.
Otherwise it should be no more than 40bucks

And then take it to NYC Velo.

Velocipede
02-03-2020, 06:56 AM
There are a bunch of excellent shops in Brooklyn.

Acme - if you want a state of the art fit studio, make sure to visit them.
Red Beard - right near the Manhattan Bridge
718 - near R&A and Acme
Maglia Rosa - the cafe is great. AMAZING pastries. Bike selection is excellent.
R&A - especially if you want to see a massive selection of dream bikes and gear
Ride
King Kog - if you love vintage stuff
Roy's Sheepshead - stop by Coney Island for Nathan's!

There are a many great shops in Brooklyn.

R3awak3n
02-03-2020, 07:25 AM
Pretty easy job so I think most shops would be fine for this task. $250 is a little high but maybe not that crazy. Depending on what they have in stock but a cassette is probably $75, new chain probably $35 and labour. Probably close to $200 so yes, $250 is on the high side.

I have heard great things about Red Beard and king kog in bk.

I usually do my own stuff but I did take my bike to trek in stuytown to get a wheel fixed and they were great. Got me back on the bike very quickly. Definitely recommend them.

tctyres
02-03-2020, 07:58 AM
Damon who used to run Nomad is an ace mechanic. PM me if you want his contact email.

Second Redbeard and King Kog.
Also, Bicycle habitat.

I'd avoid R&A and Toga, but that's me.

trener1
02-03-2020, 10:43 AM
I would avoid R&A
Someone already mentioned Ride Brooklyn on Bergan street, their head mechanic Lynn is both a fantastic wrench and also very honest.
If he wants another option, there is a small shop called Sanba Bicycle Shop on 5th ave and 38th street in Brooklyn, the owner is a fantastic mechanic.

prototoast
02-03-2020, 10:49 AM
$250 makes sense if they're using a dura ace cassette. Those are pricey. Maybe ask the same shop about Ultegra or 105.

fiamme red
02-03-2020, 10:50 AM
I'd recommend Dave Perry in Williamsburg, a few blocks from the bridge. He owned Bike Works on the Lower East Side for many years, but was forced out due to a rent increase.

He is now by appointment only, and he's two stories up, but his work is excellent and his prices are very reasonable.

Dave Perry
35 Broadway (next door to Patrizia's, two floors up)
Brooklyn, NY, 11249
646-812-2524
bikeworks@bikecult.com.

hokoman
02-03-2020, 12:40 PM
If he rides through Carroll Gardens, I can help him gratis - but only if he's cool and his bike is decently clean. :p Wonder if it is a cassette, chain, cables/housing and a tune up for that amount?

jemdet
02-03-2020, 12:44 PM
718 - near R&A and Acme

718 no longer does "general service work"

galgal
02-03-2020, 01:46 PM
Another vote for King Kog. Ask for Shawn or Arnold.

Robot870
02-03-2020, 02:16 PM
Just had cranks and BB taken off and replaced with newbies for 60.00 in midtown so that's really expensive!

jadedaid
03-03-2020, 01:01 PM
Another vote for Redbeard. They've done good work on my bike.

If your friend is trying to get it done on the low-low, Sanba bicycle further south in Brooklyn is good and incredibly well priced. I think their main guy (Daniel) used to be the head mechanic in R&A?