PDA

View Full Version : Water bottle rivet

duff_duffy
02-01-2020, 01:32 PM
Is this a straightforward repair with a rivet gun?

Tonger
02-01-2020, 01:43 PM
Check out a Rivnut.

Should be pretty straightforward.

https://bikepacking.com/gear/rivnut-bottle-cage-mounts/

zmalwo
02-01-2020, 02:10 PM
a rivnut, a washer, and a long bolt will do the job

kramnnim
02-01-2020, 02:18 PM
The hole seems large for a cage bolt sized rivnut but maybe my eyeballs are just not calibrated today

kppolich
02-01-2020, 04:35 PM
The hole seems large for a cage bolt sized rivnut but maybe my eyeballs are just not calibrated today

agree, looks like a di2 port from here.

prototoast
02-01-2020, 04:38 PM
If you're in the Bay area, send me a PM. If you bring your bike over, I can pop in a new rivnut.

rwsaunders
02-01-2020, 04:45 PM
agree, looks like a di2 port from here.

Agreed...port for wire...too low for a bottle cage bolt.

02-02-2020, 10:23 PM
I think others have spotted it -- a Di2 port. If a bottle cage, there would be two of them which would of course be telling.

It does look large. Rivnuts come in different outside diameters so you have to be sure to get the right size; one too small and it'll end up tearing the metal and ripping out, and then your frame is likely kaput.

Installing a rivnut can be done with a bolt with matching thread but this will be a relatively big rivet and they don't compress well without the help of the proper tool. Plus, the tool lets you crimp it evenly rather than causing it to wiggle sideways, distort the hole, or twist the tubing itself. And you have to get it tight or the rivnut just spins and ultimately rattles. I feel it's poor economy to save the $15-25 it costs to have a shop install one with the correct tool. BTW, there are at least three different rivnut tools I know that fit different rivnut sizes and work with thin tubes, burly tubes, close quarters, and so on. Be sure you have a bolt with the same 5 mm thread threaded into the rivnut; that keeps the crimping process from distorting the threads and rendering the rivnut useless.

ultraman6970
02-03-2020, 08:54 AM
THis!.

Agreed...port for wire...too low for a bottle cage bolt.

duff_duffy
02-03-2020, 09:31 AM
Definitely not a Di2 port, frame predated electro shifting. Also has the corresponding bottle cage bolt above it (sorry, edited it out of photo). It’s definitely supposed to be for bottle cage.

Gsinill
02-03-2020, 09:52 AM
Definitely not a Di2 port, frame predated electro shifting. Also has the corresponding bottle cage bolt above it (sorry, edited it out of photo). It’s definitely supposed to be for bottle cage.

What diameter is the hole, what threading in the other nut above, M5, M6?
I have a rivnut tool set that came with some nuts; I can check whether there is a matching one.

Just checked:
OD for M5 is 6.9mm, M6 is 8.9mm.

cmbicycles
02-03-2020, 10:29 AM
Is this a straightforward repair with a rivet gun?

Very straightforward repair with a rivnut tool. It is a little less straightforward, but you can DIY using some washers/spacers and a quick release, but as 11.4 mentioned it will wobble and be more difficult. The right tool is the better choice if its available.

ultraman6970
02-03-2020, 05:16 PM
Op, consider using washers to clear the clamp. IMO the cage will be touching the FD clamp.

cmbicycles
02-03-2020, 08:18 PM
Op, consider using washers to clear the clamp. IMO the cage will be touching the FD clamp.Presta valve nuts work well for bottle cage spacers.

likebikes
02-03-2020, 08:38 PM
that's not a repair

duff_duffy
02-03-2020, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback, this is such a great forum of knowledge (and great deals!). Shared the info with owner of bike, initially thought I’d try the repair but don’t want to chance it on something that is not mine. I’ve reset a few of these but never put one in!

cmbicycles
02-04-2020, 07:21 AM
that's not a repairWhat's not a repair?