PDA

View Full Version : OT: playing with airplanes

Seramount
01-31-2020, 07:42 PM
a while back, I posted an aviation thread which seemed to generate some positive comments. so, with that encouragement, I'll contribute another...

I've been a pilot-wannabe since forever (my earliest childhood memories are sitting on the hood of my dad's '53 Chevrolet and watching DC-3s start up at the local airport). was mesmerizing watching the fire crews in white coveralls manning giant extinguishers as the props started slowing turning and then hearing cylinders firing and seeing big clouds of white smoke come out of the exhaust headers...

anyways, cut to the current time...I have a friend in HOU who is a GA pilot and owns a Mooney M20-J. he invited me to attend a formation flying course in AZ last week and here's the trip report.

we flew from Georgetown, TX to El Paso, met up with two other pilots, and loaded up on 'real' Mexican food. none of that nasty tex-mex stuff...next day we flew in a 3-plane formation to the Marine Corps Air Base in Yuma. as we were exiting the cockpit, four F-35s went over us at 200' and destroyed our hearing. loudest aircraft I've ever heard...

altho we were operating out of a civilian FBO, the military jocks parked their rides next to us. the ramp area was a really mixed bag...Mooney, Beech, F-5, Piper, Harrier, C-130, F-18...

the formation class work was conducted in the military operations area...each flight was assigned a 'box' and given strict instructions to not bust maximum assigned altitudes as the fighter guys were doing maneuvers a few thousand feet above us. and since the international border was nearby, we were supposed to avoid crossing into Mexican airspace as well.

the class consisted of average joes, former commercial/military pilots, and two warbird owners (Russian Yak and Chinese CJ). the instructors were all ex-military jocks with experience in F-16, F-4, F-14, etc.

the skills required to do this type of flying were pretty impressive, the class was typically operating at speeds of 120-145 mph with only 25' of wingtip separation. but, we often saw the Marine pilots doing similar things at 400+ mph...soooo, major respect for those guys.

as a non-pilot, I was afraid I was going to be out-of-place, but the group was very accepting and I was even invited to sit right-seat by a couple of guys I'd never met before.

the days were long and demanding...grab a quick breakfast at the hotel, drive to the base, get element assignments, and then attend a lengthy briefing. following that, pre-flight the aircraft, fly the required maneuvers for 75-90 minutes, and then a de-brief (some of which were exercises in brutal honesty of pilot performance). one grizzled instructor who flew combat missions during Viet Nam explained it thusly...'if you screw the pooch, I'm going to tell you to expect puppies.'

we'd eat lunch and repeat the process for the afternoon flight.

it was a great experience for me, but made me a bit sad I didn't pursue getting a pilot's license earlier in life. feels like the train may have left the station on that pursuit...I'm at the age where most pilots are retiring from flying, not starting...sigh.

here's a few pics...

Seramount
01-31-2020, 07:46 PM
some more photos...

Peter P.
01-31-2020, 08:05 PM
Excellent write up. Thanks for sharing!

Louis
01-31-2020, 08:11 PM
Nice pictures - sounds like an interesting time.

I'm not a pilot, but I'd think that unless one is totally ancient it's never to late to pick up a new hobby.

magoo
01-31-2020, 08:24 PM
Thank you Seramount. Very interesting. My father had a private license, and I always thought I'd like to be a military pilot. However, I've always worn glasses, so that was out.

I had a cousin who was an airforce fighter pilot. Unfortunately, he lost his
life in an accident. That was about 50 years ago and I don't remember the details. There was a very impressive graveside ceremony topped by 4 jets in formation at a fairly low altitude. Right above the cementary one of the planes kicked in the afterburners and flew straight up out of sight. Very emotional!

Seramount
01-31-2020, 08:32 PM
I always thought I'd like to be a military pilot. However, I've always worn glasses, so that was out.

There was a very impressive graveside ceremony topped by 4 jets in formation at a fairly low altitude. Right above the cementary one of the planes kicked in the afterburners and flew straight up out of sight. Very emotional!

I have significant vision issues also, so being a professional pilot was never an option.

one of the test pilots at the Mooney factory recently passed and my friend was asked to participate in conducting a 'missing man' formation at his funeral like you describe. I rode along and we were the plane that did the pull-off...

not as dramatic as a jet on AB, but the family said it was a very moving tribute.

josephr
01-31-2020, 08:37 PM
that's VERY cool and a great weekend! and special thanks for the pics!

My mom starting flying before I was even born and we had 172s and 182s forever until she finally gave it up 10 years ago (she's 84 now). She tried to get me to follow in her steps, but after 2-3 hrs of instruction, I realized I didn't have the bug. I'd rather spend my time enjoying the views out the window!

Ken Robb
01-31-2020, 10:17 PM
I got my license in 1967 and made quite a few fun cross-country trips but the thrill of just driving a plane around the sky got old about as fast as the thrill of driving your dad's car around the neighborhood did when we turned 16. Aerobatics was a whole different story akin to driving on a race track but I lacked the $$$ to pursue that beyond introductory lessons.

oldpotatoe
02-01-2020, 06:30 AM
Very cool and if you can pass the physical, never too old to fly.

you said -
one grizzled instructor who flew combat missions during Viet Nam explained it thusly...'if you screw the pooch, etc.

Even if flew in 1973, at very end, and he was a 'nugget' pilot..say 24 YO, that would make him 71or so....so not too old to fly.

BUT, rich man's sport...I got my private, commercial, Instrument, ATP ticket for free thru USN. My neighbor is a Delta pilot(Delta Express), and he did it the hard way, PPL, commercial, CFI, to gain hours..all his type ratings, ATP out f his hide(&)..BIG money to do it the 'civilian' way.kinda like med school and the loans ya gotta re-pay.

kmla320
02-01-2020, 12:19 PM
Retired from American Airlines after 39 and a half years.I miss the flying!!!!!!!

vav
02-01-2020, 05:43 PM
Is this you? ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrTY5peaMwo

oldpotatoe
02-02-2020, 06:27 AM
Retired from American Airlines after 39 and a half years.I miss the flying!!!!!!!

Go buy an airplane....:)

kmla320
02-03-2020, 01:33 PM
too many $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

azrider
02-03-2020, 01:44 PM
Sounds awesome!! Thanks for sharing.

See any A-10's or VR22 Ospreys? I love those.

My uncle flies a V-tail Bonanza and got me into aviation. I too have always loved planes and that was part of the attraction when I dated a gal who was an aviation claims adjuster for major Insurance company.

The company paid for a Cessna 206 and we'd routinely fly it up to Sedona from Scottsdale and have breakfast and be back home by 10am.

Good times.

redir
02-03-2020, 02:18 PM
Sounds like a good time. I've always liked the Mooney airplanes with that leading edge forward tail fin. Those and the Beechcraft Bonanza. REminds me of when I was a kid working at the airport.

gasman
02-03-2020, 02:36 PM
Great write up. Thank you for sharing your experience, I would have loved to done that also.
Years ago I looked into getting my license but balked at the time and expense to get a license and the time it takes to stay proficient.