PDA

View Full Version : Protecting decals on an unpainted Ti frame?

SoCalSteve
01-07-2007, 02:33 PM
Hi all,

Any suggestions?

They seem to want to come off/crack/peel everytime you look at them. And, G*d forbid you use citrus degreaser on them...

I thought of a couple things..Just not sure of the "right" products. Maybe you guys can help and/or come up with your own suggestions/ideas/opinions.

Use a thin clear tape over the decals. Something like what goes on the front of cars to protect the paint from rocks flying up...

Use a "laquer" type spray over the decals. Mask off the other parts of the Ti frame and spray over the decals...

Any idea what the tape is called? Or, what type of laquer would work?

Also, if you have any bright ideas, I'd love to hear them.

As always, thank you all in advance,

Steve

Z3c
01-07-2007, 02:41 PM
As to the clear mask on the front of cars, what you are talking of is commonly referred to as "clear bra" as it replaced the old vinyl bras.. 3M makes one of the more common brands. You might contact a local Lexus/BMW/Audi etc dealer and they can probably get you in touch with an installer. I have pondered having this done as well..

Scott

fjaws
01-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Try here:

http://www.autosupermart.com/store/shop/3m84853.html?id=onPEIs5T

Goes on very easily and is nearly invisible. Don't waste your money on any special install kit just get the material. It's 12" wide and you buy it by the foot. Works great for chainstay protectors and also to protect against cable rub. It's very flexible and doesn't pull away when used on on a tight radius like some others.

:beer: