PDA

View Full Version : Sad New Statistic - CA fatalities at new high

buddybikes
01-31-2020, 07:18 AM
https://khn.org/news/california-bike-fatalities-hit-25-year-high/

Fatal bike accidents are on the rise. In California, the 2016-18 rate of such accidents was at its highest for any three-year period since the mid-1990s. Nationally, the three-year death rate was at its highest since the mid-2000s.

Mark McM
01-31-2020, 08:52 AM
If I read the first graph correctly, the fatality rate in 2018 was still less than it was in 1994 - you know, back when it was safe to ride on the roads.

Mark McM
01-31-2020, 09:15 AM
Also, how can the web link say that fatalities are at a 25 year high, when they were higher in 3 different years in the last 25 years?

tuscanyswe
01-31-2020, 09:19 AM
Also, how can the web link say that fatalities are at a 25 year high, when they were higher in 3 different years in the last 25 years?

Perhaps in total? The graphs are per million. (i dident read thats just usually how those claims seem to come around in statistics).

joosttx
01-31-2020, 09:20 AM
to put a positive spin on this... It probably also means that more people are biking.

gemship
01-31-2020, 04:21 PM
to put a positive spin on this... It probably also means that more people are biking.

Yes indeed and another form of Darwinism, Pop. control no doubt.:p

Although it would be nice to see some of those coal rollers becoming the statistic to be sure because only good guys ride bikes.:rolleyes:

BigLips
01-31-2020, 04:50 PM
I think there needs to be more of a conversation around visibility when on the bike, I don't ride without lights ever, but what else can I do?

BobO
01-31-2020, 04:51 PM
LA County 2016-2018: 35 cyclist fatalities per year among a population of 10.6 million. During that same time frame in LA County: 11,000 deaths per year due to coronary disease.

colker
01-31-2020, 04:53 PM
I think there needs to be more of a conversation around visibility when on the bike, I don't ride without lights ever, but what else can I do?

Avoid roads where cars will go faster than you. Cycling is safer in Europe because roads there are tiny, tight and traffic is slow.

mtechnica
01-31-2020, 05:15 PM
I wonder what the fatality rate per capita of cyclists versus motorists is. That is to say, I wonder how much more dangerous it is to ride than to drive if at all.

mtechnica
01-31-2020, 05:16 PM
Avoid roads where cars will go faster than you. Cycling is safer in Europe because roads there are tiny, tight and traffic is slow.

Yeah good luck with that in SoCal. People here either go 50 or 80.

BobO
01-31-2020, 05:19 PM
I wonder what the fatality rate per capita of cyclists versus motorists is. That is to say, I wonder how much more dangerous it is to ride than to drive if at all.

I don't know that per capita gives you the data you're looking for. The stat that matters there is per mile and I doubt there are even rough estimates on that.

mtechnica
01-31-2020, 05:30 PM
I don't know that per capita gives you the data you're looking for. The stat that matters there is per mile and I doubt there are even rough estimates on that.

That’s a good point.

joosttx
01-31-2020, 06:27 PM
LA County 2016-2018: 35 cyclist fatalities per year among a population of 10.6 million. During that same time frame in LA County: 11,000 deaths per year due to coronary disease.

Thank you

Hellgate
01-31-2020, 08:00 PM
Avoid roads where cars will go faster than you. Cycling is safer in Europe because roads there are tiny, tight and traffic is slow.So if that is the case I can't leave my garage as the neighborhood speed limit is 25 or 30.

joosttx
01-31-2020, 09:08 PM
So if that is the case I can't leave my garage as the neighborhood speed limit is 25 or 30.

Or you move to Brazil where most cars are broken or pulled by an ox.

Hellgate
01-31-2020, 09:10 PM
Or you move to Brazil where most cars are broken or pulled by an ox.Well that sounds reasonable. Does Evelyn Wood offer Portuguese language courses?

Ti Designs
02-01-2020, 04:58 AM
Here's an even worse statistic: Over the last two decades people have been subjected to 50 times more information coming at them from all kinds of sources, without the ability to adapt. Everything seems "so much more ____" these days because you hear about it so much more. When David Bowie died I heard about it 72 times (I actually counted), with each repeated account being less accurate about details. At least in nature when something reflects or bounces off a surface and returns a distorted echo, there is power or volume loss. With social media you can't tell the best source from the worst.

Many people will decide that cycling on the road is too dangerous and decide not to. The huge rise in Zwift miles and the decline in winter clothing sales suggest that they already have. Put down the phone, get off social media and go rides your bikes. It's good for ya.

oldpotatoe
02-01-2020, 06:39 AM

Lights, ride defensively, pick your routes and times carefully, don't try to 'make a point', "Take The Lane" type foolishness when tilting with a 4000 pound++ machine..
Anybody can 'what if' themselves out of doing something they love. NOT NECESSARY, IMHO. Do the above..I've been hit from behind by a PU truck while riding but press on, regardless, be careful. Not gonna be scared onto some dirt road. :eek:

jamesdak
02-01-2020, 09:09 AM

From my experience in Germany I'd say it's more about all the wonderful paths that are car free and run from town to town. This is a snapshot from google maps of all the paths running through the woods outside of Karlruhe linking to the outlying towns. All well maintained and many wide and paved. I used to travel all over the place on my Peugeot without hardly ever using a road.

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/170370942.jpg

colker
02-01-2020, 10:03 AM

How about Africa? Asia? Any hatred towards Jews or ethnic groups? Does it feel good ? As good as showing off money? Go buy another bike.

colker
02-01-2020, 10:08 AM
From my experience in Germany I'd say it's more about all the wonderful paths that are car free and run from town to town. This is a snapshot from google maps of all the paths running through the woods outside of Karlruhe linking to the outlying towns. All well maintained and many wide and paved. I used to travel all over the place on my Peugeot without hardly ever using a road.

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/170370942.jpg

In London even high roads are tight and move slow so it´s pretty safe to ride around. Germany and the Netherlands are different from England w/ bike lanes and i believe more urban planning.
In all of Europe, towns are old and streets are tight. Exception to Paris and the large boulevards.

pdmtong
02-01-2020, 10:11 AM
If the data could be segregated between recreational cyclists and commuting cyclists I think we would see that in dense city environments the fatalities have increased significantly and that is driving the overall result

colker
02-01-2020, 10:21 AM
One data i would like to have is : what time of day those fatalities happen?
At what time are drivers more distracted? That could be usefull.

colker
02-01-2020, 10:31 AM
Well that sounds reasonable. Does Evelyn Wood offer Portuguese language courses?

Rio de Janeiro is great when it comes to riding bicycles. Everybody rides and you can move anywhere on a bike. It´s a feel good easygoing city.

IJWS
02-01-2020, 11:02 AM

This.

XXtwindad
02-01-2020, 11:18 AM

Well, hey now. A little incongruous coming from the Paceline's reigning "Prince of Inclusivity," no? I've never been to Rio myself, but I know people that have and it's one of their favorite cities. One of them is an avid cyclist, and he never mentioned oxen.

colker
02-01-2020, 11:37 AM
Well, hey now. A little incongruous coming from the Paceline's reigning "Prince of Inclusivity," no?

No. It´s Regina George. Lol.https://youtu.be/Y_dCc-9pEPM

https://youtu.be/Y_dCc-9pEPM

My all time favourite villain.

XXtwindad
02-01-2020, 11:40 AM
Here's an even worse statistic: Over the last two decades people have been subjected to 50 times more information coming at them from all kinds of sources, without the ability to adapt. Everything seems "so much more ____" these days because you hear about it so much more. When David Bowie died I heard about it 72 times (I actually counted), with each repeated account being less accurate about details. At least in nature when something reflects or bounces off a surface and returns a distorted echo, there is power or volume loss. With social media you can't tell the best source from the worst.

Many people will decide that cycling on the road is too dangerous and decide not to. The huge rise in Zwift miles and the decline in winter clothing sales suggest that they already have. Put down the phone, get off social media and go rides your bikes. It's good for ya.

That's very well worded and true. Yes, I have fear when I ride. Perhaps its called "common sense." But it won't prevent me from getting out on the road.

Furthermore, the frame I just bought doesn't have a clause that reads "in the event that cycling totally freaks you out, we will offer you a full refund on your purchase."

joosttx
02-01-2020, 01:36 PM
How about Africa? Asia? Any hatred towards Jews or ethnic groups? Does it feel good ? As good as showing off money? Go buy another bike.

Well, hey now. A little incongruous coming from the Paceline's reigning "Prince of Inclusivity," no? I've never been to Rio myself, but I know people that have and it's one of their favorite cities. One of them is an avid cyclist, and he never mentioned oxen.

No. It´s Regina George. Lol.https://youtu.be/Y_dCc-9pEPM

https://youtu.be/Y_dCc-9pEPM

My all time favourite villain.

Yikes! Sorry bruh(s)

572cv
02-01-2020, 09:22 PM

Relevant thoughtful observations. Thank you for making note of them. When David Bowie died, i didn't have the discipline to consider the barrage of repetition... I just went and found my old recording of Mott the Hoople doing All the Young Dudes.

Not much of a social scientist here. But I would add that we are only in the midst of trying to figure out how best to use social media without crippling society itself. We neither understand its nuance or lack thereof. We don't always recognize the need to discern the information from the amplification. With ease of informing comes responsibility, and it would seem that we are not adjusted to that as humans. But cycling gives you time and space to clear your mind, and that is a great antidote.

BTW.... I still use your observations and lessons on power and stroke! Thanks!