PDA

View Full Version : Vietnam?

Hellgate
01-29-2020, 06:47 PM
I swear I posted this today...

I may be going to Vietnam for a conference in March. I always bring or rent a bike when I travel. Has anyone done any guided tours in Vietnam?

Andy sti
01-29-2020, 07:40 PM
Check out Francis Cade on YouTube, they just did a tour down the country. Some great videos to get an idea of what it may be like.

Jeff N.
01-30-2020, 11:55 AM
This guy named Charlie gave me a tour of the region around 50 years ago. I wouldn't recommend him though....no desire to go back either.

Joel
01-30-2020, 12:11 PM
Yup!

About 5 years ago did a tour with Spice Roads though the Northwest Mountains along the Chinese, and Laos borders. Super remote. I'm not sure they run that one any more.

It was the single most memorable bicycle ride of my life. Riding across floating reed bridges, outrunning fires in rice paddies, almost slipping off a mountain, riding in searing heat, pouring rain. Eating lunch of just butchered water buffalo. And some less savory things that are not cool at all but never are to be forgotten.

This was some technical stuff, and let's put it this way, the tour leader crashed out.

All that said, it is simply fantastic. What's really a scream is to get a bicycle in Hanoi and ride in the with everyone.

Go! Go! Go! Be Safe and just let it all unfold!

Joel

zzy
01-30-2020, 12:50 PM
Where in Vietnam? It's a big place. If it's Saigon you'd be mad to ride a pedal bike around there. The roads are absolutely chocked with mopeds, and there are no shoulders or even sidewalk. It's a special kind of chaos. If you're up north near Hanoi there is spectacular riding in the hills north of there, but I would still recommend a moto over a push bike.

oldpotatoe
01-31-2020, 06:42 AM
This guy named Charlie gave me a tour of the region around 50 years ago. I wouldn't recommend him though....no desire to go back either.

:eek: Never been in country(off the coast), and I know 50 years but a trip to VietNam still feels 'strange'...All good tho, but still strange.

Davist
01-31-2020, 06:56 AM
I'm going to Hanoi in March for a regional business meeting (although Novel Coronavirus may curtail/change that). I'll be following this thread for ideas, but usually wait for the "2nd" visit somewhere to get too adventurous... Anyone have comments on the visa process for US nationals? (just curious)

Jeff N.
01-31-2020, 07:21 AM
Can't help but wonder what business you're in...at least one that'd take your meeting to Hanoi. Hey, have em change it to BANGKOK! Now THERE is a city!

Jeff N.
01-31-2020, 07:22 AM
:eek: Never been in country(off the coast), and I know 50 years but a trip to VietNam still feels 'strange'...All good tho, but still strange.
You were close enough, Sir.

oldpotatoe
01-31-2020, 08:00 AM
You were close enough, Sir.

Agree, thanks for your service in a VERY tough time. Pretty civilized on Yankee Station in 1972.

KJMUNC
01-31-2020, 09:35 AM
+1 on using Spice Roads for a tour. We used them in Thailand last summer for a ride up north in the hills beyond Chiang Mai. I had a broken arm in a sling so we rode MTBs on paved roads and smooth dirt through rice paddies for about 20mi. Guide was great and my kids really enjoyed it.

redir
01-31-2020, 09:55 AM

I'm reading a book now called, 'The 13th Valley.' The war was before my time as I was not born yet but I probably would have been one of those peace loving hippies. None the less this book has given me a profound respect for what those guys (you) went through. Peace.

tylercheung
01-31-2020, 09:57 AM

I've been meaning to go just as a tourist trip. Still communist with a lot of dictates of what you can or cannot do, but there's a burgeoning younger generation interested in art, coffee, new ideas about culture.

At least that is what I get in social media!

I did see an article where some vets who had connections to the country and felt comfortable navigating it, ended up moving back, marrying old acquaintances and taking advantage of government healthcare, senior programs, low cost of living, etc.

zzy
01-31-2020, 09:57 AM
Anyone have comments on the visa process for US nationals? (just curious)

It's very easy now - you can submit your visa request electronically online via various travel companies. Once you arrive you will have to fill out a form as well. But you must have that visa request done before travelling. However it is a formality and doesn't cost much for a single entry.

alancw3
01-31-2020, 10:39 AM
I would bring a mask for the coronavirus.

Old School
01-31-2020, 11:05 AM
Watch this:

http://bloodroadfilm.com

"Blood Road follows the journey of ultra-endurance mountain bike athlete Rebecca Rusch and her Vietnamese riding partner, Huyen Nguyen, as they pedal 1,200 miles along the infamous Ho Chi Minh Trail through the dense jungles of Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia. Their goal: to reach the crash site and final resting place of Rebecca’s father, a U.S. Air Force pilot shot down over Laos some 40 years earlier.

During this poignant voyage of self discovery, the women push their bodies to the limit while learning more about the historic ‘Blood Road’ they’re pedaling and how the Vietnam War shaped their lives in different ways."

brian_d12
01-31-2020, 01:04 PM
I did a ~2 week bike tour about fifteen years ago with PedalTours out of NZ, mostly coast from Saigon to Hanoi + Ha Long Bay extension. Subcontracted through local Vietnam "Eco Tours", but I can no longer find them. Highly recommended with first class van support, super hotels - but also very long days ~200km planned that we shuttled some in the heat (even in February). And roads then were pretty rough - we had mtn bikes and needed them. Surprised most by the reception of the people, had some trepidation beforehand but super friendly locals. Beautiful, like nowhere else I've cycled. Be glad to elaborate if you like...

Davist
01-31-2020, 02:00 PM
Can't help but wonder what business you're in...at least one that'd take your meeting to Hanoi. Hey, have em change it to BANGKOK! Now THERE is a city!

In data center business. We've held the regional meetings in various places around SEA, Seoul, Singapore, KL, etc. Also a bunch in China. APAC will grow/is growing significantly faster than EU/Americas so we spend some effort there.

veggieburger
01-31-2020, 02:58 PM
Question - would there be any chance of unexploded ordinance off trail? I know Laos is still unearthing undetonated bombs, many of the smaller anti-personnel especially. I wonder if this is also an issue in the Vietnamese countryside.

Jeff N.
01-31-2020, 03:42 PM
Question - would there be any chance of unexploded ordinance off trail? I know Laos is still unearthing undetonated bombs, many of the smaller anti-personnel especially. I wonder if this is also an issue in the Vietnamese countryside.As a USAF Weapons guy (I loaded bombs on B-52 in Guam and F4's out of Ubon Air Base, Thailand. '70-'71) I can promise you that there are many TONS of unexploded ordnance all over that country. No question in my mind.

rallizes
01-31-2020, 03:47 PM
the photo seems a bit much but what do I know

gemship
01-31-2020, 04:23 PM

Totally agree, Jeff N. ya got the horrors but wait Vietnam is still a pretty place for long time...

sonicCows
01-31-2020, 04:26 PM
Apparently Vietnam has a few bike factories now–if you have a production bike like a Niner there's a good chance it's made in Vietnam.

As a USAF Weapons guy (I loaded bombs on B-52 in Guam and F4's out of Ubon Air Base, Thailand. '70-'71) I can promise you that there are many TONS of unexploded ordnance all over that country. No question in my mind.

Wow, thank you for your service. As someone in ordnance did you end up on the ground in Vietnam? Or were you in bases in the region? Always nice to hear from a SME.

Jeff N.
01-31-2020, 04:40 PM
Totally agree, Jeff N. ya got the horrors but wait Vietnam is still a pretty place for long time...I'm sure it is. No, I was never "boots on the ground". Being in the USAF I, admittedly, had it far better than the Army or Marine Corps guys. I was at bases only and spent most of my time at Ubon Air Base, Thailand, '70-'71, a front line fighter base for that friggin' war. If you go to youtube.com and type in "408th MMS Ubon" (I don't know how to "link" stuff) you'll see an EXCELLENT film showing exactly where I was at, and what I did, at the exact time I was there. Check it out. Here's a pic of an AC-130 Gunship from the 16th SOS, Ubon, Thailand.

oldpotatoe
02-01-2020, 06:45 AM

NOT trying to spin this thread off on a tangent but VietNam means many things to many, many people. VERY strange times, starting early in the Eisenhower administration(actually at end of WW2, and influenced a LOT by what happened in Korea) that became a confused, black spot that ended many people's lives and careers, all the way up to the guy in the 'big chair'...

I was a midshipman onboard USS KittyHawk for summer cruise, summer of 1972..Had 2 right seat KA-6 tanker rides(VA-52), flew over southern part of North VietNam(Vinh River), tanking F-4s before going 'up north'...It wasn't until my Naval War College tour(1983), that I learned the ugly underbelly of what the VietNam war really was, from post WW2 thru exiting in 1973, thru the 3rd and last invasion of the South by the North in 1975..

"10,000 Day War"..great read.

Hellgate
02-07-2020, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the info everyone.

If the meeting happens it will be in Hanoi. The company is kicking off a corporate human rights initiative.

I try to ride whenever/wherever I travel. Sometimes it works out well, other times not so much.

Getting a North Vietnamese perspective of the war would be interesting too. I served in the Army for 20 years and have always been a history buff. In fact I'm currently watch the Ken Burns series on Vietnam.

Oh, and I cycled during my deployments to Iraq. I had my old GT Zaskar shipped over and rode around Z Lake at Liberty/Victory. It was actually fun zipping by General Petraeus.

mmendoza87
02-08-2020, 12:42 AM
I've cycled, bikepacked, and toured Vietnam quite a bit during the last 2 years working with factories here. From a general perspective, you can get any association of the war out of your head. It's a new generation there, and people are fairly modernized in HCMC or Hanoi. Americans are not treated any differently than other foreigners. You are just considered "foreigner" to them. Lastly, unless you're riding in the jungles of the west near the Laos or Cambodian borders, there should be no concern of unexploded bombs along your riding route.

I recently did a tour with Velo Vietnam (http://velovietnam.cc/) in the northern mountains which was pretty stunning. March is not a peak time to go for scenery, as all the rice fields will not be in blossom (September-October is the best time to go) but at least it should still be dry since rainy season begins around May.

Anyway, Vietnam is an amazing country. It definitely suits my personality but it's not for everyone. The roads are generally pretty good and well paved. You'll be fine with 28c tires if you stick to the road. The riding is also great if you can stand 1) the heat, 2) the unpredictability of things like traffic or changing routes on the fly if a road doesn't look good and, 3) not having premium amenities at all places you stay.

mmendoza87
02-08-2020, 12:46 AM
That's for the info everyone.

If the meeting happens it will be in Hanoi. The company is kicking off a corporate human rights initiative.

I try to ride whenever/wherever I travel. Sometimes it works out well, other times not so much.

Getting a North Vietnamese perspective of the war would be interesting too. I served in the Army for 20 years and have always been a history buff. In fact I'm currently watch the Ken Burns series on Vietnam.

Oh, and I cycled during my deployments to Iraq. I had my old GT Zaskar shipped over and rode around Z Lake at Liberty/Victory. It was actually fun zipping by General Petraeus.

If you would like to do a road ride out of Hanoi, I recommend riding the climb up Ba Vi national park (~100mi round trip from Hanoi) or Giong mountain which is closer and not as tall as Ba Vi. Check out The Hanoi Bicycle Collective shop in Hanoi and you can ask the friendly staff for a route to either place.

Hellgate
02-08-2020, 08:28 AM
If you would like to do a road ride out of Hanoi, I recommend riding the climb up Ba Vi national park (~100mi round trip from Hanoi) or Giong mountain which is closer and not as tall as Ba Vi. Check out The Hanoi Bicycle Collective shop in Hanoi and you can ask the friendly staff for a route to either place.Perfect, thank you!

Hellgate
02-08-2020, 08:33 AM
I've cycled, bikepacked, and toured Vietnam quite a bit during the last 2 years working with factories here. From a general perspective, you can get any association of the war out of your head. It's a new generation there, and people are fairly modernized in HCMC or Hanoi. Americans are not treated any differently than other foreigners. You are just considered "foreigner" to them. Lastly, unless you're riding in the jungles of the west near the Laos or Cambodian borders, there should be no concern of unexploded bombs along your riding route.

I recently did a tour with Velo Vietnam (http://velovietnam.cc/) in the northern mountains which was pretty stunning. March is not a peak time to go for scenery, as all the rice fields will not be in blossom (September-October is the best time to go) but at least it should still be dry since rainy season begins around May.

Anyway, Vietnam is an amazing country. It definitely suits my personality but it's not for everyone. The roads are generally pretty good and well paved. You'll be fine with 28c tires if you stick to the road. The riding is also great if you can stand 1) the heat, 2) the unpredictability of things like traffic or changing routes on the fly if a road doesn't look good and, 3) not having premium amenities at all places you stay.Thank you. The northern route tour looks great.