PDA

View Full Version : The value of rim brake bikes seems to be plummeting

mtechnica
01-29-2020, 01:40 PM
There are crazy deals left and right. Old bikes, new bikes, race bikes, “forever” bikes - nice Ti stuff.

Where does it go from here? What will the secondary market sustain?

BigLips
01-29-2020, 03:45 PM
I think the secondary market will sustain rim brakes for a long time, between riders on a budget, fleshing out a stable, and collectors. I think we'll always see them on new entry-level road bikes just because of weight. Just riding road in the northeast I don't think disc brakes are necessary, but with gravel, CX, and bikepacking in particular I definitely see the benefit. Not to mention the clearance for bigger tires means more comfortable riding bikes, which the majority of riders are after.

colker
01-29-2020, 03:47 PM
Good news for those who are buying them.

ibis
01-29-2020, 04:22 PM
... but with gravel, CX....

For a CX racer on a budget disc's make less sense than a pair of rim brake pit wheels. Swapping QR wheels is much faster. Not everyone has money for an identical disc pit bike.

colker
01-29-2020, 04:33 PM
For a CX racer on a budget disc's make less sense than a pair of rim brake pit wheels. Swapping QR wheels is much faster. Not everyone has money for an identical disc pit bike.

Rim brake bikes are lighter.

buddybikes
01-29-2020, 04:34 PM
great for us living in flatland!

davidb
01-29-2020, 04:39 PM
From the bicycle sales side, rim brakes are fading away fast. Many brands are down to few if any rim brakes. Bicycles with 7,8 or 9spd. drivetrains are often rim. Above $5,000 almost nobody is looking or asking about bicycles with rim brakes. Try a thru-axle, just as quick and almost foolproof. No more bicycles coming in with QRs spun tight, wheels in misaligned. To the OP yes, prices are falling. Maybe people are buying the dream bicycle now that it is second hand.

colker
01-29-2020, 04:41 PM
I guess i can buy a Pegoretti or Sachs for 100 bucks now. Maybe i shouldn´t since by April they will sell for 50. Yeah.. i will buy a Cannondale instead.

skiezo
01-29-2020, 04:54 PM
And not so good for those trying to sell them.
I too think for my normal road riding RB are just fine. I see no need for anything else for road riding.

vqdriver
01-29-2020, 04:59 PM
i dunno, maybe i'm not hard core enough
but my "A" bike is rim brake and works great. granted it still has dt bosses but still

methinks discs addressing all the hand wringing over carbon rim braking put it over the top. for the layman, carbon wheels are sexy and don't require a lot of marketing push to convince them of why they want em. discs, tho better, weren't necessary or sexy . i don't think people worried about having the best brakes, but they sure as hell didn't want bad brakes. and the accompanying levers are actually the uglier versions. but those wheels.....
once you convinced the new bike buyer, new years resolutionist, tri guy, mid life crisis guy, etc. it was done.

Dave B
01-29-2020, 05:00 PM
I have added several bikes this past 18 months and love that people need to have the latest as I am just enjoying the whimsical time find amazing bikes for very little $$$.

It’s a great time!

notsew
01-29-2020, 05:05 PM

Plus, its pretty rare I feel like I don't have enough braking power in a CX race with rim brakes. It's certainly not whats holding back my racing.

I for one welcome the plummeting value of rim brake bikes and gear. More for me.

gibbo
01-29-2020, 05:05 PM
People sell bikes??????? This makes no sense to me. :confused::confused:

saab2000
01-29-2020, 05:09 PM
Used bikes are worth pennies on the dollar, if they can be sold at all. There are really expensive bikes on eBay that will end up in dumpsters.

fmradio516
01-29-2020, 05:14 PM
Im more than fine with rim brakes on road bikes. The only downside is brake track wear vs just replacing a rotor.

lavi
01-29-2020, 05:16 PM
Tell me about it. The demand seems VERY low. Could be time of year for half the country that is cold, wet, or both. OR seems like most (including here [not a criticism]) are looking for disc, bigger clearance and/or 650b (see disc).

The bikes I just sold didn't garner near the attention they would have in the past!

It's like the Moots I'm trying to sell has leprosy.

It's a fantastic time if one is buyer!!!

AngryScientist
01-29-2020, 05:17 PM
i feel a little sorry for the people that got caught in between.

there was a short period where some really high end bikes were made with quick release wheels and discs, etc - those bikes really lost a lot of value quick.

as far as the rim brake revolution, i'm honestly shocked at how many people are dumping rim brakes. on this forum, it's typical to now here that people are going all disc etc.

i'm not sure i understand this. i can understand going disc if you are buying new, but to get rid of a good rim brake bike to switch to disc seems crazy to me, especially for road bikes.

i'm a rim brake lifer. bring on the deals!

dlbracey
01-29-2020, 05:23 PM
I've recently switched back to rim from disc for road. I switched back because I could get an amazing deal on a (new) high end bike and a set of carbon wheels that I couldn't come close to getting on a Disc model of the same bike/wheels. I do worry about not being able to recoup much money when it comes time to sell and upgrade, but I saved so much on the front end it doesn't really matter. There was definitely a psychological hurdle of switching back to rim, but I ultimately haven't missed discs at all for the strict road riding I do on this bike.

Hilltopperny
01-29-2020, 05:25 PM
I concur that a lot of rim brake bikes are plummeting, but I think most bikes plummet regardless. A $14,000 Spec/Trek/Cannondale loses at least 60% of its value on the used market from the jump. I think what’s happening is the market for high end or custom bikes on the used market don’t have as big of a target and those new or getting into the sport are looking for the latest and greatest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dsimon
01-29-2020, 05:26 PM
Yeah I got caught in that It was easier to part my Parlee Z3 than sell it as a whole and I took a whooping all I was doing was to try and fund a new to me moots.... Crazy crazy crazy

colker
01-29-2020, 05:28 PM
If you ride your road bike on long distances, day in day out, i doubt the brake system there makes that much difference.
Now if your thing is buying and selling high end stuff then .. yes.. i see how all those tech changes affect your cycling hobby.

Lanternrouge
01-29-2020, 05:29 PM
It definitely seems like most people going for brand new bikes are favoring discs. I know I probably won't get another new frame (versus just new to me) that's not disc. I wonder if a lot of the people out there looking at bikes don't appreciate that rim brakes still work well. I note that it's overall a hard time to be selling non-new bike stuff, even things with discs.

jtbadge
01-29-2020, 05:29 PM
The market for complete rim brake bikes is definitely brutal. Hard to make a value argument for a rim brake complete when it’s so easy to roll a new disc bike off a shop floor.

There are still plenty of people sitting on piles of parts so moving a group or frame individually isn’t so bad.

tuscanyswe
01-29-2020, 05:30 PM
i feel a little sorry for the people that got caught in between.

there was a short period where some really high end bikes were made with quick release wheels and discs, etc - those bikes really lost a lot of value quick.

as far as the rim brake revolution, i'm honestly shocked at how many people are dumping rim brakes. on this forum, it's typical to now here that people are going all disc etc.

i'm not sure i understand this. i can understand going disc if you are buying new, but to get rid of a good rim brake bike to switch to disc seems crazy to me, especially for road bikes.

i'm a rim brake lifer. bring on the deals!

This

But also there are a lot of bikes in general that are hard to sell atm so not so sure its just about them beeing rim brakes.

AngryScientist
01-29-2020, 05:35 PM
Also Clean39T appears to have stopped buying bikes for the minute.

That has likely had a big impact on the market.

dsimon
01-29-2020, 05:42 PM
Now thats funny[

QUOTE=AngryScientist;2650502]Also Clean39T appears to have stopped buying bikes for the minute.

That has likely had a big impact on the market.[/QUOTE]

Clean39T
01-29-2020, 05:49 PM
Also Clean39T appears to have stopped buying bikes for the minute.

That has likely had a big impact on the market.

Lolz.

Not sure I'll ever return to my previously promiscuous ways, but who knows. Right now I'm just dreaming about having the time and weather to ride the bikes I've got.

lavi
01-29-2020, 05:55 PM
I'm not too upset. I've 1000% enjoyed the bikes I had (and still have). I accumulated too much. It was time to pass the goods along to others that would also enjoy them.

Caveat emptor does not overly apply right now. Get buyin'!

saab2000
01-29-2020, 05:57 PM
Right now I'm just dreaming about having the time and weather to ride the bikes I've got.

Same....

Blue Jays
01-29-2020, 06:04 PM
I have descended some serious doozy mountains on roadbikes over the decades.
I have never felt concerned about my capability to safely stop a rim brake bicycle.

MattTuck
01-29-2020, 06:21 PM
The market fell for the disc hype. Hook, line and sinker. I honestly thought there would have been more resistance.

I guess it was the confluence of equipment manufacturer marketing teams, the rise of the gravel mystique, and Jan Heine's crusade for bigger tires.

For me, it is more like...
Rim brakes are dead. Long live rim brakes!!

LOL. Just kidding. RIP rim brakes.

mtechnica
01-29-2020, 06:25 PM
Yeah the trend towards bigger tires is probably a significant contributor as well. I was taking to a guy who rides for some team, he says many people are racing on 28c tires now.

CNY rider
01-29-2020, 06:28 PM
My Ti Serotta off road bicycle is as well built as any bicycle I have ever come across.
The ride quality is outstanding.
Once in a while I get an itch to try something new.
When I look at how little the Serotta is worth, I'm appalled. It's not even worth selling at this point.
So it's not going anywhere.

Hellgate
01-29-2020, 06:29 PM
I keep waiting for smoking deals on EE Brakes and cut rate WTO wheelsets...not yet.

GregL
01-29-2020, 06:31 PM
The trends toward disc brakes and thru-axles were also driven by liability concerns. Disc brakes mean that carbon rims don’t have to deal with heating from rim brakes. Thru-axles mean less risk of a wheel coming loose. Both technical “advances” mean less chance of lawsuits. My last two framesets were purchased here on the paceline at great prices - rim brakes on both :)

Greg

biker72
01-29-2020, 06:37 PM
Out of 3 bikes I have one rim brake bike left. It's a Lynskey with Zonda wheels and clearance for 700x28 tires. It stops fine. I see no reason to sell it.:)

fiamme red
01-29-2020, 06:38 PM
Here's a 2013 Meivici complete bike that recently sold for $2,085: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Serotta-Meivici-SG-Black-Carbon-55cm-Campagnolo-Record-11-Fulcrum-Zero-Nite-/153747358423?nma=true&si=qPSYhpqhy3rump0R30iVkkPPF6I%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557.

I remember a Meivici frame and fork alone costing around $8,000 new. So this bike with full Record 11 probably cost $11,000 to $12,000 new.

witcombusa
01-29-2020, 06:45 PM
This is good news! I can pick up great bikes cheaper... :banana:

Clean39T
01-29-2020, 06:49 PM
There are only three bikes I want to add in the coming years:

1. Kirk Onesto modern racer with electro rim brake setup and fat 25s
2. Ellis Strada Fango bikepacker with electro disc brake setup and 29x2.1
3. AR Cycles or CKC (Kvale) retro racer with mech downtube rim brake setup and 27mm tubbies

All with steel forks of course.

I'll just sit and dream about those for now.

Oh yeah, and some day well down the road when my Kirk MRB needs a repaint, I'd like to send it to Dave to be put to electro as well.

MattTuck
01-29-2020, 06:51 PM
Here's a 2013 Meivici complete bike that recently sold for $2,085: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Serotta-Meivici-SG-Black-Carbon-55cm-Campagnolo-Record-11-Fulcrum-Zero-Nite-/153747358423?nma=true&si=qPSYhpqhy3rump0R30iVkkPPF6I%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557.

I remember a Meivici frame and fork alone costing around $8,000 new. So this bike with full Record 11 probably cost $11,000 to $12,000 new.

As someone who lusted after the Meivici (remember that one with the black tubes and white lugs on the Serotta site? and when Pez did his review of a custom one with a gold chain?) I just need to say that price is INSANE. Good for you for playing the long game :)

Then again, I also lusted after that Ottrott also, with the deep section reynolds wheels. I spent way too much time on the Serotta site.

Clean39T
01-29-2020, 06:52 PM

Considering those are all parts more modern than the frame, someone took a serious bath here. Beautiful bike. Whoever got it should be mighty happy.

Bici-Sonora
01-29-2020, 06:59 PM
There are only three bikes I want to add in the coming years:

1. Kirk Onesto modern racer with electro rim brake setup and fat 25s

2. Ellis Strada Fango bikepacker with electro disc brake setup and 29x2.1

3. AR Cycles or CKC (Kvale) retro racer with mech downtube rim brake setup and 27mm tubbies

All with steel forks of course.

I'll just sit and dream about those for now.

Oh yeah, and some day well down the road when my Kirk MRB needs a repaint, I'd like to send it to Dave to be put to electro as well.

That’s a nice group of three bikes to add, but the Onesto might make your MRB redundant. You’d have to sell it to me:)

I’m thinking about my bikes in a similar way.,My most loved are steel and rim brakes, except one MTB bike bike-packing Jones, and my Ritchey travel bike.

I hope there’s still some love out there for nice 1970s road bikes will take 32 mm tires. Otherwise, I’m going to take a bath. Haha.

Hilltopperny
01-29-2020, 06:59 PM
Considering those are all parts more modern than the frame, someone took a serious bath here. Beautiful bike. Whoever got it should be mighty happy.

Yup that was a killer deal and would have fit me. I have put my bike buying on hiatus or I may have been a buyer for this. Hard to beat at that price with all those nice parts!

Clean39T
01-29-2020, 07:07 PM
Yup that was a killer deal and would have fit me. I have put my bike buying on hiatus or I may have been a buyer for this. Hard to beat at that price with all those nice parts!

Just so you feel better, remember how an auction works - you may have had to pay $1 over the price the auction cleared at, or $1000, or $10,000......

Hilltopperny
01-29-2020, 07:10 PM
Just so you feel better, remember how an auction works - you may have had to pay $1 over the price the auction cleared at, or $1000, or $10,000......

If I was in the game it’d have likely sold for around $500 more. I am actually glad I didn’t see it!

Clean39T
01-29-2020, 07:12 PM
.... the Onesto might make your MRB redundant. You’d have to sell it to me:)

Nah, it's additive. The Onesto would be fit in person and designed for more aggressive days - different clearances, different fork, different tubing choices, different angles and BB drop, etc.

Hilltopperny
01-29-2020, 07:22 PM
I will throw this out there as reference point. I sold two different rim brake Kirks last year and basically recouped my cost on both. I had the opportunity to ride them for a while and pass them along without any issues. Clearly these are exceptional bikes, but as with anything they were priced well within the current market when I bought them and I priced them well when selling.

I picked up a rim brake Campagnolo 8spd Columbine this past year for around $1,500. It is one of the nicest steel frames I have owned and it is a very nice riding bicycle. Although I am trying to get down to one road/gravel bike I don’t want to just give it away and take a bath. It seems I overpaid given the recent bike pricing, but they don’t pop up often and I will get my $1,500 out of it in miles if it doesn’t sell.

I like fat tires and disc brakes as much as anybody, but a good rim brake equipped road bike with 23-25mm tires is still wonderful to ride!

Kirk007
01-29-2020, 10:01 PM
Same....Wait. We're supposed to ride them??

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

bthomas515
01-29-2020, 10:57 PM
I actually just think the market is low right now. I’ve seen some great deals on disc bikes as well. Race season will probably bring the allure back. When people start crashing and can’t just replace a cable or adjust brakes on the fly, rim brakes will come back.

weisan
01-29-2020, 11:08 PM
I stopped engaging myself in the market about six months ago - that means, no more buying or selling.

Total freedom.

Don't know what's happening in the market.

Don't care.

Just ride, ride, ride.

eBAUMANN
01-29-2020, 11:18 PM
Hydro works great...until it doesn't, then it's just a huge pain in the ass.

Rim brakes should never go anywhere for road riding, they work fine and look classy. Disc brakes are hard to make look classy (on a road bike).

FWIW, I just bought a couple new rim brakes bikes for road use and yes, they seemed quite cheap for what they are...I'm not complaining though :)

mhespenheide
01-29-2020, 11:57 PM
I hope there’s still some love out there for nice 1970s road bikes will take 32 mm tires.

Well, there's at least a market of one, as you saw on my post over on the iBob list... :help:

mhespenheide
01-30-2020, 12:05 AM
In the "road" market, I think it's a confluence of carbon rims, wide tires/aero, and through-axels.

If I were to buy a new bike today and wanted carbon rims, why wouldn't you go with disc brakes and open up the possibility of wider tires and eliminate the risks of brake fade / poor braking / rim delamination? And if you're going with disc brakes on a new bike, why wouldn't you want through-axels?

If you're a racer-type and you've bought into the aero idea, you want deep-section rims. If you don't want a ton of weight, that means carbon. And now you're back to potential braking issues. And so discs.

Thankfully, I've given up on racing and am happy to enjoy spirited rides on beautifully simple and minimalist rim-brake bikes with aluminum shallow rims that are plenty light enough for me. That I can work on myself.

As with Weisan-pal, I'm trying to disconnect from the collecting/shopping side and focus more on riding. It's hard with all the "deals" out there, though, as the market keeps dropping.

Clean39T
01-30-2020, 12:57 AM
.. a good rim brake equipped road bike with 23-25mm tires is still wonderful to ride!

.. happy to enjoy spirited rides on beautifully simple and minimalist rim-brake bikes with aluminum shallow rims that are plenty light enough for me.

:beer: :beer:

^^ double cheers

ultraman6970
01-30-2020, 01:11 AM
Price going down?? then why the darn rims I like are still way too expensive? :P

What is going to suck for many is if HED tubular rim brake disappear. :/

sonicCows
01-30-2020, 01:19 AM
Since we're talking about investing in bikes and rim brake bike futures...

Rivendell should unveil a cryptocurrency :banana:

Grant-coin

Alaska Mike
01-30-2020, 02:09 AM
In the last three years I've purchased three Moots (2 Compacts and a RSL) and a coupled Merlin. I wouldn't have been able to afford more than one (outfitted as they are) only a few years ago, even on the used market.

During that same time I purchased two disc brake bikes- a Lynskey gravel bike I haven't gotten around to finishing and a Moots Vamoots DR. The Vamoots wasn't the right bike for me, and the Lynskey probably won't be either (thus my lack of motivation). I like disc brakes just fine, but every frame I've had them on in the last ten years has been... wrong. Test rides on bikes people swear I will absolutely love have been underwhelming, or at least not impressive enough to have me make the considerable investment in switching over (I have a lot of wheels and other rim-specific/mechanical braking components).

I've spent a lot of money trying discs. Now I just focus on buying bikes that I want to ride. Lately that has been rim brake bikes. If it can fit a 25c tire on a wide rim, that's good enough for me.

There is a Seven on eBay that can only squeeze 23c tires on narrow rims. That bike is a very hard sale.

buddybikes
01-30-2020, 05:29 AM
Need to quickly "de-wheel" front and rear on wife and my bike and put in car for quick trip. I never grab the disk bike, pain in !ss time wise compared to quick release rim brake. Never put my "good" bikes on top/back of car.

belopsky
01-30-2020, 05:58 AM
The resale market makes it hard to buy new bikes, for me, tho I am still tempted! (https://crustbikes.com/products/lightning-bolt-5/)

My "only" disc brake bike is my Crust Scapegoat. I have a Surly Pack Rat that I put a disc fork on for winter duty (salt, slush etc is harder to manage w rim brakes).

saab2000
01-30-2020, 06:00 AM
Wait. We're supposed to ride them??

Yes. We are indeed supposed to ride them.

There was a time in my life when I used to actually wear stuff out. Today that rarely happens and sadly, it's not because stuff is better made today than it used to be. It is better, but I ride less than half of the mileage I used to ride. This seriously bums me out.

Jeff N.
01-30-2020, 07:33 AM
I remain firm in my conviction... No road bikes with:
1. Fat tires
2. Battery-powered groups.
3. Disc brakes. My motto: "Keep it simple, people!"
I know...I'm hopelessly old-school.

PaMtbRider
01-30-2020, 07:35 AM
As the owner of a new Di2, hydraulic disc, gravel bike I can say the technology is fantastic. Any new bike I purchase will most likely have both of those attributes. That doesn't mean I am going to give away any of my rim brake bikes to fund a new purchase. For now I plan to keep and ride the bikes I have and wait for the next great must have thing.

jamesdak
01-30-2020, 07:41 AM
Yeah the trend towards bigger tires is probably a significant contributor as well. I was taking to a guy who rides for some team, he says many people are racing on 28c tires now.

I've gone through my pics from last years Tour of Utah and really don't see hardly anyone on discs or larger tires.

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/169631945.jpg

I see one on discs in the breakaway group.

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/169631939.jpg

This was a mountain stage with a fast, steep, curvy descent.

oldpotatoe
01-30-2020, 08:11 AM
i don't think people worried about having the best brakes, but they sure as hell didn't want bad brakes. and the accompanying levers are actually the uglier versions. but those wheels.....
once you convinced the new bike buyer, new years resolutionist, tri guy, mid life crisis guy, etc. it was done.

Campag Europe asked the big boy pros ALL the time, what could be improved about their stuff. 'Better brakes' never came up. But marketing is a powerful tool..Creating demand works everyday. By saying 'discs more better' implies there is something wrong with rim brakes on a road bike..
'Alloy chainring bolts are way lighter'..but steel CR bolts aren't 'heavy', type thing..Win on Sunday, sell on Monday...

Without starting ANOTHER disc brake thread..Disc brakes have advantages AND disadvantages(weight, complexity, cost)....throw in axle standards, etc..:)

They are here, for good or ill..even my 8YO grand daughter's $500 24inch bike, 'Cleary', 5 speed internal rear hub..has Hydro Disc Brakes...

cash05458
01-30-2020, 09:19 AM
Agree with most here...more than fine with all my rim brake setups...just great deals as well all around and they will prolly get even better as this thing goes on...hell, I still am fine with 23 mm tires and couldn't really care less about gravel...the bike industry has a long history with bandwagons...all aboard I say...

coolplanetbikes
01-30-2020, 09:29 AM
I spend approximately equal time on my road, commuter, mountain, gravel and fat bike. And I can honestly say I have zero interest in adding the hassle of disc brake maintenance, weight and cost to the only bike that really doesn't need them. I get the tire clearance thing, and have discs on my gravel bike, but they really don't feel all that different than a nice set of TRP Mini Vs. Seems like every year I have to figure out how to bleed a new piece of hydro equipment... TRP makes a cable op hydro caliper but they're bulky and kinda ugly.

Red Tornado
01-30-2020, 09:32 AM
If I were in the market for a new bike, MTB/road/whatever, sure I would consider one with disc wheels. Also like the thru axle concept, so there's another point in favor of. However, that's only if I am buying an ADDITIONAL bike. No way I'm getting rid of an existing rim brake bike to replace with a disc bike. I don't have that kind of disposable income.

I have one disc bike (1X MTB), and I like it. The other MTB and road bikes are rim. Next road bike might be a disc.

colker
01-30-2020, 09:36 AM
The biggest revolution in road bike technology is something really simple: the wide rim. It´s game changing. Finally clinchers catch up to tubulars.
Next huge advance is tubeless but the technology still asks too much of the rider.

Discs are a solution to a problem that never existed in road riding. It only destroys what is already working making great bikes obsolete and heavier bikes the new norm. It makes great wheels obsolete and gives very little back.

So instead of complaining i try to make the best out of it: buy rim brake stuff when it´s cheap. Buy tubulars... and be happy.

My bikes are not investment. I use them. If it´s not as "valuable" as before i won´t be as mad when it breaks.

kppolich
01-30-2020, 09:40 AM
2 years ago I didn't own a single disc brake, electronic shifting bike for road or cx. The writing on the wall said flat mount disc, 12mm TA's are coming and the looming value of rim brake bikes was unknown. I'm super happy with my decision to liquidate my rim brake stuff when I did. I basically got two lightly used hydro disc/electronic bikes for the equal value that I sold my used rim brake bikes/wheel sets for. If I did that today, it wouldn't even be close.

Road:
TA is just easier. Safer? Maybe, but nothing is safe when going 30mph and having sharp edges exposed at the TA lever or disc rotor.

CX: Everyone knows the fastest cross racer is the one who slows down the least. The bike does not matter, nor do the brakes rim vs. disc. I've won many CAT3 races on a single speed, steel, canti bike.

Overall, I really enjoy this current standard of 12mm TA and disc brakes. I went a bit further and have the exact same 140mm SRAM rotors on my (3) wheelsets for easy plug and play between bikes if needed. Compared to rear spacings and such with QR it's really no different, except it stops better when it's wet, if you are into that.

Electronic - pretty cool, i just wish frame makers would design the cable inlets a bit bigger so I could run a hose with the compression fitting and barb/olive installed so I didn't have to cut/replace those each time.

charliedid
01-30-2020, 09:47 AM
I've gone through my pics from last years Tour of Utah and really don't see hardly anyone on discs or larger tires.

I see one on discs in the breakaway group.

This was a mountain stage with a fast, steep, curvy descent.

Dude on discs is winning. Discs are for winners...

commandcomm
01-30-2020, 09:48 AM
I have a BMC Road+ that is disc and TA that I use for a commuter. I like the TA, but no won over on the disc. I feel it is not necessary on a road bike for my riding. Overall, a rim brake is nothing more than a really large disc.

I have been watching the rim brake bike market and it is going low and lower. Especially the steel rim brake market. I have seen bikes that are hanging out there for sale that would have been snapped up quick at the prices offered in the past.

weiwentg
01-30-2020, 09:57 AM
Let me throw out a tangential question: any speculation on when the component manufacturers cease making high-quality rim brakes? (i.e. at least 105/Centaur/Rival level brakes)

I'm going to guess SRAM stops first, and Campy stops last. I have no idea when that will happen. I prefer for any new performance-oriented bikes I buy to be disc and not rim brake, but I'd like to keep my current rim brake bikes, thanks very much. I'd like to update my roadie when the R8000 groupset wears out.

benb
01-30-2020, 10:02 AM
From the bicycle sales side, rim brakes are fading away fast. Many brands are down to few if any rim brakes. Bicycles with 7,8 or 9spd. drivetrains are often rim. Above $5,000 almost nobody is looking or asking about bicycles with rim brakes. Try a thru-axle, just as quick and almost foolproof. No more bicycles coming in with QRs spun tight, wheels in misaligned. To the OP yes, prices are falling. Maybe people are buying the dream bicycle now that it is second hand.

I don't even really understand how the bike shops are staying in business with the % of big ticket bikes on the floor these days.

It seems like the bike shops even 10-15 years ago were like 90% affordable simple bikes with a small selection of fancy expensive stuff for the hardcore dedicated cyclists.

Now you walk in and the # of $5000+ MTBs is crazy. And they've got all these $5000+ eBikes sitting on the floor, and almost all the road bikes are super expensive too.

I've yet to see anyone riding one of the $5000+ super fancy Trek/Specialized eMTBs or commuting eBikes out in the real world and yet they've been taking up significant floor space for years now.

If the stuff is selling there's gotta be another weird cycling fad going on and we're going to see disc road bikes & super fancy MTBs and eBikes get dumped on the use market in a few years too.

charliedid
01-30-2020, 10:12 AM
I don't even really understand how the bike shops are staying in business with the % of big ticket bikes on the floor these days.

It seems like the bike shops even 10-15 years ago were like 90% affordable simple bikes with a small selection of fancy expensive stuff for the hardcore dedicated cyclists.

Now you walk in and the # of $5000+ MTBs is crazy. And they've got all these $5000+ eBikes sitting on the floor, and almost all the road bikes are super expensive too.

I've yet to see anyone riding one of the $5000+ super fancy Trek/Specialized eMTBs or commuting eBikes out in the real world and yet they've been taking up significant floor space for years now.

If the stuff is selling there's gotta be another weird cycling fad going on and we're going to see disc road bikes & super fancy MTBs and eBikes get dumped on the use market in a few years too.

Seriously

The shop I currently (ugh) work at is more traditional in that sense. Given the push and bombardment we get almost daily, I think many shops are really selling the financing angle for these bigger ticket bikes. Bikes and the bike industry are all over the place right now. It's also funny that some people scoff at a $850 basic bike but seem to think a crappy $1500.00 E-Bike is a bargain worth considering.

Bikes are so weird.

oldpotatoe
01-30-2020, 10:12 AM
Let me throw out a tangential question: any speculation on when the component manufacturers cease making high-quality rim brakes? (i.e. at least 105/Centaur/Rival level brakes)

I'm going to guess SRAM stops first, and Campy stops last. I have no idea when that will happen. I prefer for any new performance-oriented bikes I buy to be disc and not rim brake, but I'd like to keep my current rim brake bikes, thanks very much. I'd like to update my roadie when the R8000 groupset wears out.

Great dual pivot brakes have been made for over 30 years..so a 'few' of them out there. I wouldn't worry about it but yup, sram first to make a lot of their own stuff obsolete, shimano well after and Campag last...

Mark McM
01-30-2020, 10:30 AM
If you're a racer-type and you've bought into the aero idea, you want deep-section rims. If you don't want a ton of weight, that means carbon. And now you're back to potential braking issues. And so discs.

This is where the logic falls apart. Yes, deep-section rims are more aero, and carbon is lighter than aluminum. But once you add the disc brakes, then the carbon rim wheels end up being heavier than aluminum rim wheels with rim brakes. So far, the data is showing that disc brakes have more aero drag than rim brakes, so carbon rim disc brake wheels might end up being less aero and heavier.

Of course, it is harder to make an aero aluminum rim than a carbon aluminum rim, so carbon aero rims tend to be more aero than aluminum rims. But there are also hybrid carbon/aluminum rims that use a carbon "fairing" bonded onto an aluminum rim, and these can be made just as aero as full carbon rims. And in the case of clincher rims (clincher tires being faster than tubulars), there is little weight penalty for a carbon/aluminum rim compared to a full carbon clincher rim.

Mark McM
01-30-2020, 10:38 AM
Great dual pivot brakes have been made for over 30 years..so a 'few' of them out there. I wouldn't worry about it but yup, sram first to make a lot of their own stuff obsolete, shimano well after and Campag last...

I'd bet that Shimano will actually the last, given that Campagnolo now only actually makes Record/SR rim brakes. The rim brakes they sell for all other groups are rebranded from another manufacturer (I think they are made by Tektro).

Clean39T
01-30-2020, 10:50 AM
I'd bet that Shimano will actually the last, given that Campagnolo now only actually makes Record/SR rim brakes. The rim brakes they sell for all other groups are rebranded from another manufacturer (I think they are made by Tektro).Huh? Chorus 12 anyone?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

zap
01-30-2020, 10:53 AM
I did some pretty hilly tt's on a bike with front brake only and 18/20 tubulars. On the podium twice. Yes, USCF officials and their Canadian mates were not looking closely. :banana:

Anyhow, a little over a year ago my wife got a really nice deal on a new rim carbon road race bicycle. Prior to the purchase she tested a few disc road bikes and disliked then all, especially that Spec with the bouncy front end.

Mark McM
01-30-2020, 10:56 AM
Huh? Chorus 12 anyone?

Those are labeled and sold by Campagnolo, but they rebranded from another manufacturer. They don't even use Campagnolo compatible brake pads, they use Shimano compatible brake pads.

cash05458
01-30-2020, 10:58 AM
disc, uber wide tires, 12 speed, 650b, electronic shifting, ebikes, aerodynamic tweeks and nippled clothing...it's endless...

Clean39T
01-30-2020, 11:04 AM
Those are labeled and sold by Campagnolo, but they rebranded from another manufacturer. They don't even use Campagnolo compatible brake pads, they use Shimano compatible brake pads.Wow, I did not know that. The shape is the same as Record, so I just assumed..

AngryScientist
01-30-2020, 11:06 AM
Wow, I did not know that. The shape is the same as Record, so I just assumed..

nope

chorus-12

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-ox79uhj/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/40698/106485/10356_z_campagnolo-chorus-brakes-2020-still-life-front-groupset__24156.1559072926.png?c=2&imbypass=on

https://content.competitivecyclist.com/images/items/900/CPG/CPG005N/BK.jpg

Kirk007
01-30-2020, 11:19 AM
Yes. We are indeed supposed to ride them.

There was a time in my life when I used to actually wear stuff out. Today that rarely happens and sadly, it's not because stuff is better made today than it used to be. It is better, but I ride less than half of the mileage I used to ride. This seriously bums me out.

Yep, and one rationale for adding things like gravel bikes with disc brakes etc. is the notion that well, it opens up more places/opportunities to ride where my rim braked road bike wouldn't be much fun. Which may be true, but it doesn't expand the amount of time we can carve out of our daily lives to ride.

As to the demise of rim braked bikes, I do sense in the U.S., just from following comments here for instance, that more and more road riders are choosing to ride more on gravel, dirt, trails and less on the road due to fear of being run over by an inattentive driver and hence the turn towards wider tires and disc brakes. If I lived say in Europe near mountains, anywhere in the Alps for instance, my daily ride would have rim brakes. They get the job done just fine.

cgolvin
01-30-2020, 11:40 AM
Those are labeled and sold by Campagnolo, but they rebranded from another manufacturer. They don't even use Campagnolo compatible brake pads, they use Shimano compatible brake pads.

Confirmed (ask me how I know).
Even some of the manufacturers don't seem to know this -- when I looked, the SwissStop site had the wrong information about their pads and Campy 12 speed compatibility.

John H.
01-30-2020, 11:52 AM
Yes- high end rim brake bikes are selling for pennies on the dollar these days- but it is not like they ever sold for a big % of the retail price (other than bikes by guys like RS and Pegoretti).
None of this makes a rim brake bike less of a pleasure to ride, if you like that sort of thing.

That said- I feel lucky that I moved away from rim brakes in 2017- Sold off all of my rim brake bikes, wheels, etc.

I know a guy who is trying to sell a fairly new Trek Emonda SLR with rim brakes. It is the really light one.
He is trying for 4k for it. Not gonna happen.

echappist
01-30-2020, 12:38 PM
This is where the logic falls apart. Yes, deep-section rims are more aero, and carbon is lighter than aluminum. But once you add the disc brakes, then the carbon rim wheels end up being heavier than aluminum rim wheels with rim brakes. So far, the data is showing that disc brakes have more aero drag than rim brakes, so carbon rim disc brake wheels might end up being less aero and heavier.

Of course, it is harder to make an aero aluminum rim than a carbon aluminum rim, so carbon aero rims tend to be more aero than aluminum rims. But there are also hybrid carbon/aluminum rims that use a carbon "fairing" bonded onto an aluminum rim, and these can be made just as aero as full carbon rims. And in the case of clincher rims (clincher tires being faster than tubulars), there is little weight penalty for a carbon/aluminum rim compared to a full carbon clincher rim.

a lot of this

not to mention that the whole premise behind advantages of aero wheels is rather shaky. I previously mentioned this here (much to the derision of some), that an aero road handlebar produces the level of aero savings realized by going from a decent aluminum front wheel (think Kinlin XR31) to any of the 60 mm tall carbon rims. The handlebar costs $250 more than a corresponding regular bar (sometimes less), but those wheels cost a lot more (to the tune of $1k, often more) more than a corresponding set of alloy wheels. Sure, the carbon wheels look "cooler", but that's not an objective assessment.

mhespenheide
01-30-2020, 01:00 PM
a lot of this

not to mention that the whole premise behind advantages of aero wheels is rather shaky. I previously mentioned this here (much to the derision of some), that an aero road handlebar produces the level of aero savings realized by going from a decent aluminum front wheel (think Kinlin XR31) to any of the 60 mm tall carbon rims. The handlebar costs $250 more than a corresponding regular bar (sometimes less), but those wheels cost a lot more (to the tune of $1k, often more) more than a corresponding set of alloy wheels. Sure, the carbon wheels look "cooler", but that's not an objective assessment.

Well, and let's not even mention that a loose jersey is more significant than either, by a fair margin. Unless you're riding with a form-fitting skinsuit and aero helmet, worrying about components seems misleading...

colker
01-30-2020, 01:03 PM
That said- I feel lucky that I moved away from rim brakes in 2017- Sold off all of my rim brake bikes, wheels, etc.

Do you feel lucky for an increased joy in riding your bike?

colker
01-30-2020, 01:06 PM

Never. My guess is never.... but it´s the internet so a prospect of doom is always entertaining.

Clean39T
01-30-2020, 01:16 PM
Well, and let's not even mention that a loose jersey is more significant than either, by a fair margin. Unless you're riding with a form-fitting skinsuit and aero helmet, worrying about components seems misleading...

But if you buy aero wheels/frame/bars, you can keep up with your buds while wearing a fashionable t-shirt with your cargo bibs and sporting a waxed moustache.. /s

Kirk007
01-30-2020, 01:21 PM
But if you buy aero wheels/frame/bars, you can keep up with your buds while wearing a fashionable t-shirt with your cargo bibs and sporting a waxed moustache.. /s

I've been told by reliable sources that the Silca t-shirts are more aero than other t-shirts and the old BMW 2002 image goes well with the moustache.

Spdntrxi
01-30-2020, 01:33 PM
Some bike won’t go down in value..
I’m pretty confident my 2 will be just fine

1986 Look KG86 Mavic SSC equipped
2006 Moots Compact-Sl 6/4 Ti with eTap

benb
01-30-2020, 01:53 PM
It's just like cars.. if you're buying them new use them till they're used up and don't worry about resale.

If you're buying used be excited that there are so many riders who can't figure it out and constantly flip their brand new minty bikes. You save a ton of money.

I think a lot of this soft market is the same thing behind poor resale values in luxury cars. High end bikes are treated as luxury goods by a percentage of the cycling market, and even high end bikes are priced in a way they are much more accessible to more consumers. Luxury goods lose their perceived value really quick to that kind of market. It's gotta be brand new and it's gotta be current.

Mark McM
01-30-2020, 02:16 PM
How much of the soft market for rim brake bikes is due to the soft market for bikes in general?

How much of the soft market for used rim brake bikes is due to the likelihood that they are many years older than used disc brake bikes?

72gmc
01-30-2020, 02:22 PM
The value of my rim brake bike is rising: repaint, new parts, keeping it!

The crash in resale prices doesn't surprise me. A lot of people think a 28 is a narrow tire these days. Me, I'd have no problem considering a 58-60cm Hampsten Ti Strada Bianca or Kirk MRB with rim brakes.

thwart
01-30-2020, 02:23 PM
I know a guy who is trying to sell a fairly new Trek Emonda SLR with rim brakes. It is the really light one.
He is trying for 4k for it. Not gonna happen.
Agree. That section of the market (gotta have the newest and lightest bike and highest tech) is where rim brake bikes have fallen off a cliff in terms of retaining their value. Pennies return on the dollar.

Thankfully, there are quite a few who realize that road disc bikes can be seen as a niche product, at least when you stand back away from the commercial fray a bit. Ride in rain fairly frequently? Do you do lots of long mountain descents? If these are not your situation, most would admit you probably don't really need 'em.

That said, I certainly wouldn't buy any new road rim brake bike nowadays and expect it to hold a good portion of its value. Hand-made bikes are sort of a different bag (with a different audience), and there the loss in value is likely to be much less.

CNY rider
01-30-2020, 02:38 PM
The value of my rim brake bike is rising: repaint, new parts, keeping it!

The crash in resale prices doesn't surprise me. A lot of people think a 28 is a narrow tire these days. Me, I'd have no problem considering a 58-60cm Hampsten Ti Strada Bianca or Kirk MRB with rim brakes.

My two steel road bikes, a Hampsten and a Goodrich, wear Rene Herse 700X28 tires.
I couldn't ask for a nicer ride.
I admit it may have something to do with weighing only 150 pounds. But so do lots of other people.....

vincenz
01-30-2020, 02:50 PM
Rim brakes are for connoisseurs and aficionados. Let the masses do what they want.

John H.
01-30-2020, 03:25 PM
The luck was not being way behind the curve on divesting.

I do have increased joy in riding my current bikes, but that is not due to luck.

Do you feel lucky for an increased joy in riding your bike?

NHAero
01-30-2020, 04:05 PM
Bikes losing value is only a problem when you want to sell them :)
I loved having hydro discs and 37s on my Anderson for D2R2 - it's a 2012, so QR, so probably hard to sell, but I love riding that bike, so not planning a sale anytime soon. By the same token, the Firefly I bought here on PL about a year ago has DA 9000 rim brakes and I don't ride it (deliberately at least) in the rain, so the brakes are awesome, the best rim brakes I've ever ridden. And a 28 is plenty tire for a 145 lb rider on pavement. Not planning to sell this bike anytime soon either. The Anderson has fenders so it's the one I grab when the roads are wet, or likely to be raining.

I wouldn't mind better brakes on my vintage Bob Jackson (it's wearing Tektro 559 calipers - bike was built for 27 inch 32s with fenders and it now wears 700C wheels so need the long reach). There's quite a difference between those long reach Tektros even with Koolstop pads, and the Dura Ace.

As others have noted, it's nice to have a stable stable :) and not worry about either acquisition or divestment, just ride.

gibbo
01-30-2020, 04:22 PM
I just finished a bit of lurking around the WWW and I am not so sure the price has dropped out for rim brake bikes any worse the disk bikes. A nice 2 year old rim brake bike is commanding a fair price compare to a nice 2 year old disk brake machine IMHO.

terry
01-30-2020, 05:00 PM
Great discussion and just like politics and religion everybody has their own and valid opinion. For me it’s: rim brakes, mech groups and best of all- lots of great deals on narrow rim tubular wheels and 23/25 mm tubulars. Keep ‘em coming sellers.

rollinslow
01-30-2020, 05:02 PM
I think what is clear is that the value of carbon bikes is decreasing rapidly regardless of brake type. Carbon frames are incredibly cheap to produce as a result of materials, labor, and economies of scale.

As for rim brake bikes themselves, they are as prevalent as ever at the highest end of retail. Just look at this recent Mosaic with Gokiso hubs and THM everything that is probably valued over $30,000 USD. If you spend that kind of money, it has to be rim brakes.

https://www.facebook.com/mosaiccycles/photos/a.340221032661171/3210236258992953/?type=3&theater

I think the more ominous sign for the bike industry is the steep decline and lack of interest in road cycling. The consumers have spoken, and they prefer not to ride road bikes unfortunately. I think it is a fair question as to whether the push for discs on generic off the shelf bikes is helping or hurting the sport. The average rider who goes around the neighborhood 10-30miles on sunny weekends with their 105 rim brake equipped CAAD12 does not need to spend another 1k for a CAAD13 105 disc that is 20+ lbs and no-longer serviceable with an Allen key.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/studies-reports/2019/04/01/wholesale-bike-sales-down-sharply-year-date-everything-e-bikes#.XjNeDS2ZPOR

I'll only ever ride rim brakes on a road bike. Things like simplicity, weight, feel, lack of noise, easy to fly/travel with, looks, etc. On my gravel bike, it is 100% disc brakes without question. The response by industry is frustrating. Just today I was listening to the Cycling Tips podcast and they can't stop with the condescending attitudes to anyone who likes rim brakes. Is that really the attitude we need to grow our sport?

flying
01-30-2020, 05:05 PM
I remain firm in my conviction... No road bikes with:
1. Fat tires
2. Battery-powered groups.
3. Disc brakes. My motto: "Keep it simple, people!"
I know...I'm hopelessly old-school.

Same here ;)

robertbb
01-30-2020, 05:10 PM
Confirmed (ask me how I know).
Even some of the manufacturers don't seem to know this -- when I looked, the SwissStop site had the wrong information about their pads and Campy 12 speed compatibility.

The "rebranded" ones are actually way better than the Campy made ones.

Potenza level skeleton rim brakes are the best I've ever used, including Record/SR and Chorus options. The arms are thicker and stiffer (because it can be - the Shimano style brake shoe is less wide than the Campy style), and the cable end-stop actually screws into the lever arm which creates a system with less slop overall.

There was a limited production run of the Potenza skeleton brakes with a simple "Campagnolo" branding, and no marque. I snapped up 3 of them for future builds.

ibis
01-30-2020, 05:23 PM
Carbon frames are incredibly cheap to produce as a result of materials, labor, and economies of scale...

The rim brake LOOK 695 cost right around $1000 to produce (this included the ZED crank, the C-Stem, and the E-Post). Not all carbon frames are the same. Just saying.

rollinslow
01-30-2020, 05:39 PM
The rim brake LOOK 695 cost right around $1000 to produce (this included the ZED crank, the C-Stem, and the E-Post). Not all carbon frames are the same. Just saying.

Of course, great frame by the way and always wanted one. French-made an innovative, far from generic. My point is that it just simply costs much less to produce a generic Chinese carbon frame now, and since they are widely available and replaceable there is nothing to hold value.

weiwentg
01-30-2020, 06:03 PM
Another tangential thought: this forum really tends toward the connoisseur end. We like having nice bikes, and many of us like buying and selling nice bikes. And we do have our classifieds section starting at us right in the face.

At the road group rides I go to, and among the road riders I encounter while out there solo, I still see a lot of people on rim brakes. Probably the majority. I know the big manufacturers' high level bikes are now mostly disc, and I know the resale market has plummeted for rim brake bikes, but there's still a lot of rim brakes still out there. There will be for quite some time. I bet that the majority of cyclists aren't actively scouring for bikes to buy, or are actively selling off a number of them. How much does the state of the resale market matter to the majority of cyclists?

HenryA
01-30-2020, 06:24 PM
Another tangential thought: this forum really tends toward the connoisseur end. We like having nice bikes, and many of us like buying and selling nice bikes. And we do have our classifieds section starting at us right in the face.

At the road group rides I go to, and among the road riders I encounter while out there solo, I still see a lot of people on rim brakes. Probably the majority. I know the big manufacturers' high level bikes are now mostly disc, and I know the resale market has plummeted for rim brake bikes, but there's still a lot of rim brakes still out there. There will be for quite some time. I bet that the majority of cyclists aren't actively scouring for bikes to buy, or are actively selling off a number of them. How much does the state of the resale market matter to the majority of cyclists?

If you're just riding, the value of bikes really does not matter. I have two 10ish year old bikes, and one even older. Only one has disc brakes. Its a MTB. I have just as much fun riding the "old" bikes as I did the day they were made. To take it a bit farther, ATMO the true progress of the bike world stopped at about 9 or 10 speed. Hell, maybe at 8 speed.

The bad part about this is that if the bicycle industry depended on me (and others like me) for success, they'd be gone already.

colker
01-30-2020, 06:52 PM

Ride your bikes. Don´t resale anything and value will go up. Problem solved.

nesteel
01-31-2020, 12:07 AM

They're not. It's that simple.
Where I work part time, our bread and butter is the low to mid range stuff, and we stock the heck out of it. The high end stuff is still represented, but you can count them on one hand.
Inventory is dictated by sales. If the shop ignores that rule, they're going to suffer.

oldpotatoe
01-31-2020, 06:26 AM
I'd bet that Shimano will actually the last, given that Campagnolo now only actually makes Record/SR rim brakes. The rim brakes they sell for all other groups are rebranded from another manufacturer (I think they are made by Tektro).

Correct, Tektro/TRP..another 'argument' for a Asian produced 'Fulcrum' group..be fairly easy to spec the ders, shifters. there, PowerShift. :)

mokofoko
02-02-2020, 12:08 PM

I saw that listing and was seriously tempted--it was slightly big though. You absolutely could have gotten more for it (eventually) with a fixed-price listing instead.

oldpotatoe
02-03-2020, 07:46 AM
To take it a bit farther, ATMO the true progress of the bike world stopped at about 9 or 10 speed. Hell, maybe at 8 speed.

There hasn't been anything really revolutionary in bikes since lever mounted, indexed shifting and clipless pedals..mid, late 80s...:)

colker
02-03-2020, 08:20 AM
There hasn't been anything really revolutionary in bikes since lever mounted, indexed shifting and clipless pedals..mid, late 80s...:)

Tubeless tires and wide rims?

oldpotatoe
02-03-2020, 09:31 AM
Tubeless tires and wide rims?

'Revolutionary'...:)
Jump to Bicycle tires - Many patents had been filed covering tubeless tires. Killen Tire applied for a patent in 1928 and was granted GB patent 329955 in the UK in 1930.

AND on pretty wide rims...

Malinois
02-03-2020, 09:40 AM
Can’t wait to read the promo lit when wishbone seat tubes come back around.

gdw
02-03-2020, 10:30 AM

Hyperglide cassettes and pinned and ramped chainrings were game changers for the masses.

Lanternrouge
02-03-2020, 10:44 AM
Hyperglide cassettes and pinned and ramped chainrings were game changers for the masses.

Hyperglide came out right about 1990, but it may have been at some point in 1989, so that's right about what Old Spud said with regard to date. For me, nothing's really changed things as much as being about to shift from the bars. Lots of other things have been neat, but not in the same way.

To stay on topic, as someone else has pointed out though maybe not in the same way, rim brake bikes will always have value since you can ride them, even though their resale may be less than disc brakes. Also, the more you ride your bike, the better the value you are getting from it.

Clean39T
02-03-2020, 10:46 AM
Also, the more you ride your bike, the better the value you are getting from it.

Bingo. I'm finally learning this lesson....

colker
02-03-2020, 10:58 AM
Ergo shifting changed riding. Wide rims made clincher ride quality get close to tubular. Disc brakes made bikes heavier and devalued rim brake bicycles. Great success.

buddybikes
02-03-2020, 11:05 AM
Ergo shifting changed riding. Wide rims made clincher ride quality get close to tubular. Disc brakes made bikes heavier and devalued rim brake bicycles. Great success.

Ergo shifting changed riding. Wide rims made clincher ride quality get close to tubular. Clipless pedals saved some knees. Disc brakes made bikes heavier, pain in the *ss to disassemble on the road or car, and devalued rim brake bicycles. Great success.

cmg
02-03-2020, 11:10 AM
Just kind of wonder what percentage of new bike sales are to new riders? I'd say 60% are to the n+1 crowd.

Jimbo251
02-03-2020, 11:16 AM
I've 5 bikes and all of them are rim brake.
Hampsten Strada Bianca
Speedvagen road
Moots Compact SL
Zank Aluminato road
Peg MXXXXXO
The Caveat here being that I'm old, fat and slow and spent any future bike purchases on a home in Central Oregon. My type of riding is pavement, I like the road and am one of the few that doesn't care for the big gravel craze with big tires.
I'm also one of the few who's idea of a beautiful road bike is steel, rim brake and Campy. Mechanical at that.

The bikes I lust after are all rim brake: A Peg Round, Stelbel Antenore, Kirk Onesto or Field works. I've found that Campy Bora's with the new brake track have excellent braking.
What I really want more than disc's is to ride the "old" bikes I have and be lean and fit. A nice 4 hour ride on steel (again with great fitness) is my dream best day so I don't need Disc's for that.

Hopefully Campy will continue with mechanical drivetrains and rim brakes, cuz I still need to upgrade my old bikes to 12 spd.

Mark McM
02-03-2020, 12:07 PM
Just kind of wonder what percentage of new bike sales are to new riders? I'd say 60% are to the n+1 crowd.

While that may be true at the high end, I'd bet that most sales of low (and even medium) end bikes are to new riders.

pdmtong
02-21-2020, 06:18 PM
I said goodbye to my 2013 Vamoots CR today. The last year with the integrated binder. It went as shown without the Bora's, pedals and saddle

For the f/f/hs/post/cages I slvaged around 50% MSRP - is that life considering the changes in cycling preferences? If I sell my ciavete responsorium am I looking at the same haircut? Happy the new owner is stoked but easy come easy go as that money goes right back towards my daughter's summer internship abroad. But guess what? She is finishing a year early so I get a pass on senior year tuition and housing.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180120/fdd723f578659932a3ecec0ff798c724.jpg

FlashUNC
02-21-2020, 06:38 PM
Ciavete Respo will have a bit stronger market friendo.

pdmtong
02-21-2020, 06:53 PM
Ciavete Respo will have a bit stronger market friendo.

I hope so . . .

Spdntrxi
02-21-2020, 07:01 PM
having just built up a 2006 Moots... that's a hard bike to part with.

Lanternrouge
02-21-2020, 07:37 PM
I said goodbye to my 2013 Vamoots CR today. The last year with the integrated binder. It went as shown without the Bora's, pedals and saddle

For the f/f/hs/post/cages I slvaged around 50% MSRP - is that life considering the change

That’s pretty good in the current market.

rallizes
02-21-2020, 07:39 PM
I hope so . . .

have a photo of the pegoretti?

pdmtong
02-21-2020, 07:44 PM
having just built up a 2006 Moots... that's a hard bike to part with.

Agreed. But it was the Moots or the Respo. Embarrassing first world problems. Make no mistake that CR with the RSL fork delivered downhill on a rail. Beautiful ride

Spdntrxi
02-21-2020, 07:55 PM
I have a lot of frames hanging in the garage... my line is always yeah this old one hanging in the garage I'm gonna build up... you know that silver one from 2006.;)

93KgBike
02-21-2020, 08:19 PM

Darn skippy

colker
02-21-2020, 08:28 PM
Damn skippy

This thread is weird or funny i mean.. would anyone expect the value of rim brake bikes to go up when discs are the new thing?
It´s obvious where a thread like this would go.
An exercise in doom and negativity. Pessimism and schadenfreude. Well... i have participated so there is that.

cgolvin
02-21-2020, 08:33 PM
But it was the Moots or the Respo.

You made the right choice IMO

tylercheung
02-23-2020, 02:17 PM
I have a feeling things may equilibrate after a while. Rims are not like drum brakes, they're basically big rim brakes and the Venn diagram for use cases doesn't seem to overlap completely...interesting to see how things shake out in a few years.

Clean39T
02-23-2020, 02:35 PM
This thread is weird or funny i mean.. would anyone expect the value of rim brake bikes to go up when discs are the new thing?
It´s obvious where a thread like this would go.
An exercise in doom and negativity. Pessimism and schadenfreude. Well... i have participated so there is that.I try to do three sets of ten schadenfreude per day.....helps keep me limber.. [emoji481]

Clean39T
02-23-2020, 02:36 PM
Rim brakes are still great. So are discs. Ride bikes, have fun. Accept the vagaries of the semi-free market.

johnniecakes
02-23-2020, 04:11 PM
Rim brakes are still great. So are discs. Ride bikes, have fun. Accept the vagaries of the semi-free market.

Well spoken, just ride what YOU like, it's all good