PDA

View Full Version : Tubeless tape: to reglue or retape?

jrflanders
01-29-2020, 10:18 AM
The last 2" of rim tape on my tubeless 29er wheelset came unstuck from the tap that it overlapped. The tape is otherwise in good condition and less than 2 years old. Wondering if I should retape entirely or if I can glue it, and what type pf glue to use. Any recommendations?

spoonrobot
01-29-2020, 11:00 AM
Re-tape costs what? - $6?

Why even bother with futzing around?

bshell
01-29-2020, 11:48 AM
This won't be definitively helpful but 2-3 weeks ago I used contact cement on 1.5" of tape that had lifted on a tubeless road wheel but will not check its status until tire removal is necessary.

I can say if you clean/dry the area and know how to use actual, full VOC contact cement it will stick very solidly. My curiosity is if there will be interaction with the sealant that will loosen it over time.

I also wonder if the direction of the tape wrap is really a thing? This was definitely wrapped the "wrong way" as I understand it (exposed edge leading as wheel rolls) but I'm not sure if the height of the sealant reaches the tape in the rim channel...I'll definitely wrap it as the trailing edge if/when needed.

BigLips
01-31-2020, 08:30 AM
This won't be definitively helpful but 2-3 weeks ago I used contact cement on 1.5" of tape that had lifted on a tubeless road wheel but will not check its status until tire removal is necessary.

I can say if you clean/dry the area and know how to use actual, full VOC contact cement it will stick very solidly. My curiosity is if there will be interaction with the sealant that will loosen it over time.

I also wonder if the direction of the tape wrap is really a thing? This was definitely wrapped the "wrong way" as I understand it (exposed edge leading as wheel rolls) but I'm not sure if the height of the sealant reaches the tape in the rim channel...I'll definitely wrap it as the trailing edge if/when needed.

I've never heard of wheels needing to be taped in a specific direction, tubeless or otherwise, is there an advantage to taping with the exposed edge leading?