PDA

View Full Version : The Flying Scotsman movie

Alan
01-07-2007, 08:39 AM
Anyone seen this movie about Graeme Obree? It was released before the end of the year but it hasn't quite made it to Ohio yet. The Official site for the movie is here:

http://theflyingscotsmanmovie.com/

Sounds like it is very good.

gary135r
05-11-2007, 02:05 PM
saw it yesterday. Liked it, wasn't great but an interesting story. There are so few good cycling movies out there that it was refreshing to see this one.

Orin
05-11-2007, 03:47 PM
saw it yesterday. Liked it, wasn't great but an interesting story. There are so few good cycling movies out there that it was refreshing to see this one.

Saw it last night. Well worth seeing, but it seems to leave a lot of Obree's racing background out - we see him winning one road race before he gets the idea of going for the hour record.

Better go see it soon if you are interested - all of two in the local theatre last night.

Orin.

Bruce K
05-11-2007, 04:42 PM
A bunch of us saw it last night. We were the only 8 people in the theatre.

Better than American Flyer. Not quite as good as Breaking Away. IMHO

In any event, worth seeing.

BK

Bud_E
05-11-2007, 05:09 PM
...Not quite as good as Breaking Away. IMHO...BK

Did you ask for a Reefund ?

Bruce K
05-11-2007, 05:25 PM
Since Breaking Away is one of my favorite sports movie no "reefund" was needed.

BK

Ray
05-11-2007, 05:29 PM
It's always nice to see cycling in a movie, but, other than that, not much of a movie. Nothing so visually spectacular to make seeing it in a theatre important - you could wait for DVD and not be missing anything. I asked the ticket clerk and he said nobody was coming to see it. It lasted a week and was gone today. Scottish accents are pretty thick at times - I guess watching a lot of cyclingTV prepared me for that.

-Ray

pdonk
05-13-2007, 06:46 PM
I saw it this week. Was one of maybe 3 or 4 people in the theatre. Was prety interesting, wish they had spent more time/imagery on track racing, looking at his face does not do track riding justice. Hope I did'nt look that way when I did the individual pursuit.

Funny thing is that the local free paper dissed it for being too technical, while I wanted more technical stuff. As a commisaire it is a real pain to use the template to determine if bikes are "legal".

JumpStart
09-26-2010, 01:04 PM
Figured I'd give this thread a bump. This movie was on my netflix queue for a while. Finally saw it last night. Liked it. Wife (non-cyclist) liked it too.

MattTuck
09-26-2010, 01:21 PM
It's available on HULU here: http://www.hulu.com/watch/145105/the-flying-scotsman

I got an advertisement for KY Intense before I could watch it, I guess they think cyclists want to reduce friction with everything they do.

AndrewS
09-26-2010, 01:51 PM
I really like this movie - probably my favorite cycling film (what else is there? Breaking Away, American Flyers, Quicksilver...). I've always liked Johnny Lee Miller and love the POV imagery of the track when he's riding. A great "come from behind" story that shows great sportsmanship, like the lending of the helmet part. Recommended.

1happygirl
09-27-2010, 02:47 AM
Found a used DVD copy about a year ago at a blockbusters for $5.00. Manager said nobody rented it hardly. Accent was tough for the 5 min intro I watched, will try to watch again now.
Everyone's right. Cycling movies hard to come by. My fave lately has been the Rapha videos! (wish I could buy them, even if just for the scenery)

Bob Loblaw
09-27-2010, 08:49 AM
There's a book too, written by the man himself. It's quite interesting, and you get a lot deeper insight into his past and the things he suffered. It's really very wrenching at times.

BL