PDA

View Full Version : Good "Vintage" style bike shop in Silicon Valley?

Old School
01-28-2020, 01:23 PM
I have a need for some services that I cant do myself. (seat tube reaming, BB facing, dropping off a frame for shipping. )

I seem to remember that that was at least one very popular "Vintage Road Bike" shop in Silicon Valley?

any clues?

Thanks

jtakeda
01-28-2020, 01:27 PM
I’m know very little about SV bike shops but I’ve been to the Cupertino bike shop swap enough times to know they have vintage gear and know how

Old School
01-28-2020, 01:31 PM
Not a bad thought. I've always wanted to go to that swap meet.

jtakeda
01-28-2020, 01:32 PM
Not a bad thought. I've always wanted to go to that swap meet.

It’s really hit and miss and if you do go it’s worth it to get a table because all the real deals go down before it opens to the public.

There is always a line and the good stuff goes quick

AngryScientist
01-28-2020, 01:36 PM
how far north are you willing to go?

if i needed that kind of work done, i'd give Mike up at Black Mountain Cycles my business.

(i'm sure there are a ton of good shops between you and there though...)

prototoast
01-28-2020, 01:40 PM
Cardinal Bicycle Shop in Palo Alto - https://www.cardinalbikes.com/

Old School
01-28-2020, 01:47 PM
how far north are you willing to go?

if i needed that kind of work done, i'd give Mike up at Black Mountain Cycles my business.

I may just visit there on principle. I am intrigued by what he has secretly coming up next.
TBH, after I bought a cheap disc road bike from the PerformanceBike closeout, I'm never buying rim brakes again.

AngryScientist
01-28-2020, 01:50 PM
I may just visit there on principle. I am intrigued by what he has secretly coming up next.
TBH, after I bought a cheap disc road bike from the PerformanceBike closeout, I'm never buying rim brakes again.

we may need to change your user name!

Spdntrxi
01-28-2020, 02:01 PM
Sloughs bike shop

Hard to find because it does not look like a bike shop .. more residential bldg.
great guy.. helped finish my Eroica build a few years back .. limited hours .. 1 man show

jtakeda
01-28-2020, 02:09 PM
Sloughs bike shop

Hard to find because it does not look like a bike shop .. more residential bldg.
great guy.. helped finish my Eroica build a few years back .. limited hours .. 1 man show

Oh yes. Sloughs.

My friend used to drive from Oakland to sloughs to get stuff done. He had some wild NOS Klein’s if I recall correctly

tylercheung
01-28-2020, 03:23 PM
Tom @ Velotech in Palo Alto?

Hindmost
01-28-2020, 04:02 PM
I would say Cupertino bike shop. They have vintage know-how and even some stock.

pdmtong
01-28-2020, 10:09 PM
Sloughs or Cupertino if you need vintage work requiring vintage tools.

Tom /Velotech If you need great work

Old School
01-28-2020, 10:19 PM
Thank you all.

joosttx
01-28-2020, 10:21 PM

If you are heading to Point Reyes Station. There is a bike shop in Downtown San Rafael, Ca that has restored vintage bikes. Cannot remember the name.

Old School
01-28-2020, 10:56 PM
If you are heading to Point Reyes Station. There is a bike shop in Downtown San Rafael, Ca that has restored vintage bikes. Cannot remember the name.

Really? I hope you can recall. I go there often.

bfd
01-28-2020, 11:03 PM

Don’t know the shop in San Rafael, but if you want to go that far north, then check out A Bicycle Odyssey in Sausalito. The owner, Tony Tom, is one of the judges at Eroica and his shop always has vintage bikes for sale. Tony has been in business over 40 years and shop is listed on the CR list of bike shops that service vintage bikes:

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Bike_Shops/A_Bicycle_Odyssey.htm

Good Luck!

smontanaro
01-29-2020, 08:06 AM
American Cyclery (https://www.americancyclery.com/) in SF? They are down while their building gets a seismic retrofit. Might be worth touching base to see if they can handle your needs during this time. (I'm sure their revenue has taken a huge hit, so a bit of business would be good for them.)

Look585
01-29-2020, 08:49 AM
If you are heading to Point Reyes Station. There is a bike shop in Downtown San Rafael, Ca that has restored vintage bikes. Cannot remember the name.Full Metal Cycles in San Rafael.
https://www.fullmetalcycles.com/

henrypretz
01-29-2020, 09:40 AM
If down on the Monterey Peninsula, Winning Wheels in Pacific Grove is a spot that might fit the bill for you.

ibis
01-29-2020, 11:11 AM
Don’t know the shop in San Rafael, but if you want to go that far north, then check out A Bicycle Odyssey in Sausalito. The owner, Tony Tom, is one of the judges at Eroica and his shop always has vintage bikes for sale. Tony has been in business over 40 years and shop is listed on the CR list of bike shops that service vintage bikes:

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Bike_Shops/A_Bicycle_Odyssey.htm

Good Luck!

Tony and his mechanics really know their stuff for pretty much every era of cycling. Great shop if you have the time to check it out.