PDA

View Full Version : question: ti frame & shimano alum. clamp

AgilisMerlin
01-06-2007, 05:52 PM
the alum clamp, which my fr. der. attaches to is oxidizing.

my alum seatpost, when pulled can show signs of pitting from the ti, but my question

will that alum. clamp degrade the ti seatube. you answer is easier than me pulling it to look. The clamp is turning white

does alum. degrade ti, or does the ti degrade the alum. as in pitted and corroded bb. cups ?

thanks ahead of time

Amerlin

dave thompson
01-06-2007, 06:14 PM
the alum clamp, which my fr. der. attaches to is oxidizing.

my alum seatpost, when pulled can show signs of pitting from the ti, but my question

will that alum. clamp degrade the ti seatube. you answer is easier than me pulling it to look. The clamp is turning white

thanks ahead of time

Amerlin
Basic answer is no, your clamp won't degrade the seat tube. In the Galvanic series, Titanium is a 'noble' metal whereas Aluminum is not. What that means is that when the two metals are electrically connected in an electrolyte, the less 'noble' (baser) metal, in this case Aluminum, will experience galvanic corrosion. Titanium is a more 'noble' metal than stainless steel and only slighty less 'noble' than silver. Oxidation of Aluminum is caused by reaction to oxygen in the atmosphere.

AgilisMerlin
01-06-2007, 06:20 PM
thanks.

the clamp looks the same as the alum pans that go through my dishwasher. when pulled out they have this pretty white dust on them. :D

i will never throw my bicycle in the dishwasher because of this. :D

thanks again

Amerlin

Too Tall
01-06-2007, 07:26 PM
Your sweat is causing the problem. Serious. Spray it with some Boeshield now and than after swiping the bike down with hot water and dawn detergent. No revelations here.

pdxmech13
01-06-2007, 07:48 PM
Ti for the most part is impervious to oxidation