PDA

View Full Version : Intrigued by Speed Dream wheels...

bulliedawg
05-12-2004, 12:57 PM
Anyone riding them?

I have some old hubs that are still in excellent condition: Front a Zipp carbon and rear a World Class. Both made great products but are out of business now, I think. Was thinking of having Speed Dream build around them.

Please advise.

Serotta PETE
05-12-2004, 12:59 PM
I have heard good things about them from Flydhest and Smiley.

quattro
05-12-2004, 02:32 PM
I have read good things about Speed Dream wheels and spoken to Dave a few times about his wheels. Presently he is building a wheelset he calls the AR 20, using White Industries hubs, Velocity Aerohead rims and wheelsmith XE14 spokes, selling for about $550. I have also read good things about the wheelsets that Joe Young builds. Presently he is very high on the wheelset he builds using Hugi 240s hubs, DT RR 1.1 rims, and DT Super Competition spokes, selling for about $630. Can anyone comment on the differances between the wheels and if one is a better value than the other for an everyday training wheel set? I would like to decide between the two and I'm looking for input from anyone familiar with the two builders. Bulliedawg, I hope you don't mind this addition to your original post.

Kevin
05-13-2004, 05:44 AM
I have a pair of Speeddreams. Dave is a pleasure to deal with. The wheels are very fast. I have had them for about a year. The wheels are still tru and I have never broken a spoke. I highly recommend the wheels. I have the White hubs and the aerohead rims.

Kevin

Too Tall
05-13-2004, 06:05 AM
You are talking about two of the best wheelbuilders in the USA. You can toss a coin. Joe has been my man for 9 yrs. and recently I got Dave to build up a set of old DA hubs (32X) with Velocity Tub rims and his unique mix of salad shooter spokes ;) Dave's work looks real good, he built me a set of pretty light bombproof training tubs that weight in at abooot 1600g.

If you are a weight weenie Dave might be more appealing?

But if this helps you decide...they are both easy going and knowledgable...sorry ;)

va rider
05-13-2004, 07:41 AM
How do the Speed dream's compare with some of the other pre-built's out there? i.e. Mavic Ks, Campy Neutron's/Eurus?

And just curious, any pics of the speed dreams?

thanks.

Kevin
05-13-2004, 08:11 AM
They are better than the Campy Nucleons and they blow the doors off the Ksyrium SSLs. The ks are too stiff for my taste.

Kevin