PDA

View Full Version : Renting a fat bike in Lake Tahoe

BRad704
01-26-2020, 07:01 PM
So I'll be in South Lake Tahoe from Wednesday thru next Tuesday and I'm just now thinking about renting a fat bike for some snow riding.

But I've never ridden in Tahoe before. My sister in law lives in South Lake, so she might have ideas on regular paths but she's not a cyclist.

Anyone here have any pro tips for me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AngryScientist
01-26-2020, 07:03 PM
i'm guessing you don't ski/board?

BRad704
01-26-2020, 07:14 PM
i'm guessing you don't ski/board?

I do ski and do plan on several ski days. We've got our Epic Local passes, do I'm not stressing about totaling maximizing ski time. I've tried 1 full day of snowboarding lessons and I suck at it. Id much rather ski and be able to run the trees.

Just thinking of something new to try out there. I might even try to convince my wife to ride with me. She's definitely not a biker at all. Fear of cars, which I totally respect. Hoping some slow off-road cruising might appeal to her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

srcarter
01-27-2020, 02:14 PM
We ski Kirkwood (about 35 miles - 45-90min) from South Lake. I noted recently that the cross country ski center listed fat bike rentals for $33. They aren't always the most reliable on the XC side, so I'd call ahead to confirm availability. The trail system is great and the area is really beautiful. I also recommend downhill skiing at KW (less crowded than some other area resorts), particularly if you are a strong skier.

The drive over Carson Pass (about 8600 feet) can be tough in storms (or closed) so isn't recommended on stormy days without all-wheel/4WD and snow tires/chains.

https://www.kirkwood.com/explore-the-resort/activities-and-events/cross-country.aspx

BRad704
01-27-2020, 03:13 PM
We ski Kirkwood (about 35 miles - 45-90min) from South Lake. I noted recently that the cross country ski center listed fat bike rentals for $33. They aren't always the most reliable on the XC side, so I'd call ahead to confirm availability. The trail system is great and the area is really beautiful. I also recommend downhill skiing at KW (less crowded than some other area resorts), particularly if you are a strong skier.

The drive over Carson Pass (about 8600 feet) can be tough in storms (or closed) so isn't recommended on stormy days without all-wheel/4WD and snow tires/chains.

https://www.kirkwood.com/explore-the-resort/activities-and-events/cross-country.aspx
Great to hear! We have spent most of the last few years going to Sierra, but Kirkwood is definitely on our list for this year. Epic Local includes Kirkwood and Heavenly, but Heavenly is always crazy busy since it's literally in the middle of downtown Tahoe.

I'll do some recon on the bike situation and Kirkwood. Thanks!