PDA

View Full Version : Most stylish piece of cycling kit?

XXtwindad
01-25-2020, 05:52 PM
Prompted the departure of my Rapha Paul Smith jersey, I'm wondering what people consider the most stylish piece of cycling apparel they own. I like good looking kit. I think Rapha was great back in the day, but they seemed to have lost their way when it comes to sartorial stuff.

Hard to beat Isadore and Café du Cycliste. I think they'd have to be right at the top when it comes to fashion forward cycling clothing. The Cima Coppi V4 Ultralight looks right up my alley as well. This Isadore merino membrane vest is, by far, my favorite piece of kit that I own. Looks totally bad ass off the bike.

Others?

NoMoreParagon
01-25-2020, 05:55 PM
Pas Normal Studios

Really good stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scoobydrew
01-25-2020, 09:26 PM
I love my Isadore bibs and thermal long sleeve jersey. Most used pieces in my rotation this time of year.

If you're into more pieces that have more subtle designs, check out Ornot. They have a collection of "casual" clothing geared towards cycling as well.

joosttx
01-25-2020, 09:38 PM
Pas Normal Studios

Really good stuff

I find their jackets do not wick moisture that well. However, their jerseys are excellent.

I am starting to dig Velocio. I really like their high collars and beefy zippers.
Q36.5 bibs are still the best but I am considering trying Velocio
Ostory make great warm-weather jerseys.
Richard Sachs has the best caps.

scoobydrew
01-26-2020, 12:30 AM

FWIW, I picked up a pair of Velocio bibs over the holidays. Only have a handful of 40-50 mile rides on them so far, but so far they're one of the most comfy bibs I've used. Quality is top notch as well.

simonov
01-26-2020, 04:20 AM
I find their jackets do not wick moisture that well. However, their jerseys are excellent.

I am starting to dig Velocio. I really like their high collars and beefy zippers.
Ostory make great warm-weather jerseys.
Richard Sachs has the best caps.

Velocio bibs are good. Probably not Q36.5 good, but I haven't been able to compare since I can't find them in stock in the model I want. Velocio jerseys are awesome. And the styling is really nice and clean.

macaroon
01-26-2020, 04:29 AM
I'm not sure "stylish" and "cycling" should appear in the same sentence.

I've delved into instagram, and from what I've seen of the so called "stylish" cyclists...... they tend to be middle aged men with shaved legs, calf length socks, spandex and a plastic hat. When they get off the bike they waddle about like a penguin due to their silly shoes.

Occasionally there'll be an attempt to colour coordinate items of clothing with the bicycle, surely no one sane does that unless they're being paid to?

kohagen
01-26-2020, 05:47 AM
FWIW, I picked up a pair of Velocio bibs over the holidays. Only have a handful of 40-50 mile rides on them so far, but so far they're one of the most comfy bibs I've used. Quality is top notch as well.

Which model do you have? They have a half dozen bib shorts.

buddybikes
01-26-2020, 05:58 AM
Isn't visibility kind of important doing long rides in winter?

Tickdoc
01-26-2020, 06:06 AM
It's gotta be my Rapha Pantani Jersey. It's getting worn now, but I still wear it.

https://bikerumor-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Rapha-Special-Edition-Pantani-Super-Lightweight-Jersey.png

colker
01-26-2020, 06:47 AM

I've delved into instagram, and from what I've seen of the so called "stylish" cyclists...... they tend to be middle aged men with shaved legs, calf length socks, spandex and a plastic hat. When they get off the bike they waddle about like a penguin due to their silly shoes.

Occasionally there'll be an attempt to colour coordinate items of clothing with the bicycle, surely no one sane does that unless they're being paid to?

Style is about the man. Coppi and De Vlaeminck. It does not get any better. T
Edit: i really want the Mars Flandria jersey Rdv is wearing here.

Bob Ross
01-26-2020, 06:58 AM
Personally I'm of the belief that there is no cycling kit that fits the meaning of the word "stylish".

Dressing like a dork is the cost of entry into this activity, and I'm happily willing to pay that cost, but I have no illusions that anybody's cycling kit is going to make me not look like a dork and suddenly start looking like a runway model.

That being said, it's a tossup between my Assos bib shorts and my Louis Garneau bib knickers as to which piece of kit has generated the most compliments. So maybe they're my most "stylish"?

colker
01-26-2020, 07:02 AM
DE Vlaeminck, as usual, setting the sunday mood. From the era when people had style.

joosttx
01-26-2020, 07:38 AM

If you read the posts above. No one here is really writing about style except the OP (and colker rehashing a tired vintage narrative). In sport function reigns over style and function becomes style.

Something I do like seeing is the groups of late 20’s and 30’s riding from the city riding through Marin. They are well kitted and it has become the singles thing to do. So, like any other activity where boys and girls meet, you definitely want to look your best.

buddybikes
01-26-2020, 07:47 AM
Yikes, I had an official Flandria jersey from the 1973? team, wool. I worked at bike shop who was importer of Flandria's and I believe they may have been first team with Shimano equipment. I also (junior high school here) obtained through him Flandria Pro team bike, with 1st generation Shimano dura ace.

Think I finally disposed of the jersey while moving, 3 sizes to small now that's for sure.

fignon's barber
01-26-2020, 07:59 AM
Edit: i really want the Mars Flandria jersey Rdv is wearing here.

Here you go. I just bought the Peace Race jersey from Prendas yesterday:

https://www.prendas.co.uk/products/mars-flandria-retro-jersey-short-sleeve

XXtwindad
01-26-2020, 08:49 AM
Personally I'm of the belief that there is no cycling kit that fits the meaning of the word "stylish".

Dressing like a dork is the cost of entry into this activity, and I'm happily willing to pay that cost, but I have no illusions that anybody's cycling kit is going to make me not look like a dork and suddenly start looking like a runway model.

That being said, it's a tossup between my Assos bib shorts and my Louis Garneau bib knickers as to which piece of kit has generated the most compliments. So maybe they're my most "stylish"?

Gotta disagree with you here, Bob. It seems incongruous, on a site devoted to lauding the beauty of bikes, that its assumed you look like a total schlep on said steeds.

I'm with Colker. Look up "cycling" and "stylish" and two names come to my mind: Coppi and Anquetil.

Bibs are more about function and comfort for me, but jerseys are where you have lot more leeway for expression. The Rapha Paul Smith "La Corsa Rosa" is another grail jersey and I like the throwback ethos of Velobici's jerseys.

charliedid
01-26-2020, 09:09 AM

I think they wear clear lenses in the winter...

AngryScientist
01-26-2020, 09:10 AM
style!

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2b/21/35/2b2135fc62e3a0122a628cce8b629258.jpg

colker
01-26-2020, 09:17 AM
style!

He errs on the side of clown.

colker
01-26-2020, 09:21 AM
Here you go. I just bought the Peace Race jersey from Prendas yesterday:

https://www.prendas.co.uk/products/mars-flandria-retro-jersey-short-sleeve

Thank You!

fignon's barber
01-26-2020, 09:25 AM
style!

Fast Freddie does not seem to be enjoying the view of those zebra bibs.

fignon's barber
01-26-2020, 09:27 AM
Thank You!

When you get it, you have to post a photo of you doing a RDV pose.

texbike
01-26-2020, 09:36 AM
Is there a list of kit providers that are guaranteed to make me look like these dorks? I really need it to ensure that I NEVER buy their stuff!

colker
01-26-2020, 09:36 AM
If you read the posts above. No one here is really writing about style except the OP (and colker rehashing a tired vintage narrative). In sport function rains over style and function becomes style.

Something I do like seeing is the groups of late 20’s and 30’s riding from the city riding through Marin. They are well kitted and it has become the singles thing to do. So, like any other activity where boys and girls meet, you definitely want to look your best.

You make no sense. Looking good is opinion not function. Pretty simple. What you like others don´t.
Looking good derives from having style on and off the bike. The pic of RdV w/ some ugly plastic strapped on his legs while riding in the rain made the point: he looks like a Prince because he has it. Also Coppi w/ a long coat and bibs. Only a King can pull it off. It´s the idea and it´s only tired when you never get it.

colker
01-26-2020, 09:39 AM
When you get it, you have to post a photo of you doing a RDV pose.

C´mon... i will fail miserably if i ever try ! ;) I am not that smooth!

charliedid
01-26-2020, 09:48 AM
OMG this is like totally my favorite piece off the bike, it's super awesome when I'm not drinking Pernod...

colker
01-26-2020, 09:53 AM
OMG this is like totally my favorite piece off the bike, it's super awesome when I'm not drinking Pernod...

I find the Team Mockery jersey ugly.

charliedid
01-26-2020, 09:55 AM
I find the Team Mockery jersey ugly.

You're so confused

tomato coupe
01-26-2020, 10:03 AM
... Looks totally bad ass off the bike.

You owe me a new keyboard ... I spit coffee all over it.

XXtwindad
01-26-2020, 10:03 AM

1) Isadore makes great stuff. (Not too fond of that particular piece, though)

2) Your lexicon needs a little help. Not sure Pernod drinkers are going to be articulating themselves like that...

FlashUNC
01-26-2020, 10:10 AM
Sometimes I think the trying too hard dig is thrown at any cyclist who tries to look like they didn't get dressed in dark randomly pulling stuff out of a drawer.

charliedid
01-26-2020, 10:14 AM
1) Isadore makes great stuff. (Not too fond of that particular piece, though)

2) Your lexicon needs a little help. Not sure Pernod drinkers are going to be articulating themselves like that...

OMG have you even tried Pernod? Probably not...

Okay this one is really my bestie.

XXtwindad
01-26-2020, 10:17 AM

Paceline Users Agreement
Section 2(3)(b)

If any member, upon reading any post, spontaneously loses control of previously inhaled substances, that member shall be deemed solely responsible for said loss, rather than the poster.

Hellgate
01-26-2020, 10:47 AM
I've been happy with LaPassione kit. Yeah, the name is kind of dumb, but I like the simple, non garish look. The material has lasted well and the cost is very fair. Shipping from Italy is free and has arrived as quickly as three days.

kingpin75s
01-26-2020, 11:01 AM
Most stylish for my gear is an easy one.

I have a couple of Victor Osborne hand made in NYC cycling caps that he did as a joint limited run with Outlier around 2011 or 2012. One waterproof in Supermarine cotton and the more stylish charcoal wool cap, both in an actual size large.

His store in NYC closed in 2012 (sounds like he has had a few stores over the years) but looks like he is still at it, although do not see any bike caps in his current offerings, on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/VictorOsborne

- Fashions go out of style, style never goes out of fashion

fignon's barber
01-26-2020, 11:04 AM
C´mon... i will fail miserably if i ever try ! ;) I am not that smooth!

Naaah. It's easy: tape on sideburns, place chin on stem.

IJWS
01-26-2020, 12:06 PM
One thing that I find really interesting is that a big part of cycling’s explosive growth in the past decade (so, post lance et al), is cycling clothing that is not embarrassing to wear and also kind of stylish.

Making gear that isn’t an embarrassment helps remove one of the rites of passage away from riding bikes. “If you are going to have the most fun in your life, you will be embarrassed to be seen by someone you know. You will learn to love it.”

Making gear that is “cool” or “stylish” makes it really easy for people...mainly millennials and women, to get into bikes because they see the activity as a lifestyle as opposed to a sport. The clothing moves away from being required equipment and into being another opportunity to express your special uniqueness.

It sounds like a joke, but I really think that has helped cycling culture and the cycling industry. I am thinking of my close friend that just fell in love with playing golf (apparently it’s as addictive as gambling) but has no friends that golf, hates the gear, and is watching the sport atrophy because it doesn’t appeal to the two new biggest market demographics.

Seriously though, Rapha deserves some credit. I grew up skateboarding and I was so interested in the Rapha brand in the early 2000’s because it was so familiar—they were turning cycling into a lifestyle activity. That opened the gates to all types of riders and riding. Now...let’s talk about gravel next!

I like la passione, I am still consistently impressed with Rapha, my girlfriend (millennial woman) absolutely loves Veloccio. Isadore looks like cool stuff. And then two brands, cafe du cycliste and god and famous represent two interesting takes on bike clothing. CDC is a strong push towards lifestyle with sweater-like outerwear and Pernod pockets. God and famous is this weird almost street wear brand but trends towards performance wear over lifestyle.

Even though I just wrote three paragraphs of text on this, I have to say that this thread needs more pictures!!!

XXtwindad
01-26-2020, 12:11 PM
One thing that I find really interesting is that a big part of cycling’s explosive growth in the past decade (so, post lance et al), is cycling clothing that is not embarrassing to wear and also kind of stylish.

Making gear that isn’t an embarrassment helps remove one of the rites of passage away from riding bikes. “If you are going to have the most fun in your life, you will be embarrassed to be seen by someone you know. You will learn to love it.”

Making gear that is “cool” or “stylish” makes it really easy for people...mainly millennials and women, to get into bikes because they see the activity as a lifestyle as opposed to a sport. The clothing moves away from being required equipment and into being another opportunity to express your special uniqueness.

It sounds like a joke, but I really think that has helped cycling culture and the cycling industry. I am thinking of my close friend that just fell in love with playing golf (apparently it’s as addictive as gambling) but has no friends that golf, hates the gear, and is watching the sport atrophy because it doesn’t appeal to the two new biggest market demographics.

Seriously though, Rapha deserves some credit. I grew up skateboarding and I was so interested in the Rapha brand in the early 2000’s because it was so familiar—they were turning cycling into a lifestyle activity. That opened the gates to all types of riders and riding. Now...let’s talk about gravel next!

I like la passione, I am still consistently impressed with Rapha, my girlfriend (millennial woman) absolutely loves Veloccio. Isadore looks like cool stuff. And then two brands, cafe du cycliste and god and famous represent two interesting takes on bike clothing. CDC is a strong push towards lifestyle with sweater-like outerwear and Pernod pockets. God and famous is this weird almost street wear brand but trends towards performance wear over lifestyle.

Even though I just wrote three paragraphs of text on this, I have to say that this thread needs more pictures!!!

Great answer.

scoobydrew
01-26-2020, 12:14 PM
Which model do you have? They have a half dozen bib shorts.

I have their "signature" bibs: https://velocio.cc/collections/mens-bib-shorts-tights/products/mens-signature-bib-short

charliedid
01-26-2020, 12:31 PM

Oh come on....nobody here is arguing against your premise. Either way, can you post a photo of you wearing your cutest top?

Have a laugh.

choke
01-26-2020, 12:34 PM
I have to go with these....

http://cycle.ciocctoo.com/drom.jpg

charliedid
01-26-2020, 12:41 PM

Nice!

But why'd you have t go and follow the rules and actually answer to OP's question? :banana:

mbrtool
01-26-2020, 12:53 PM
Choke,
Who makes those shoes?

Ray

Vonruden
01-26-2020, 12:53 PM
Lampre kit is big in Europe
http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj533/vonruden1/FEAA62ED-19BE-4D5C-BD18-26521B093184_zpstxy7dzie.jpg (http://s1266.photobucket.com/user/vonruden1/media/FEAA62ED-19BE-4D5C-BD18-26521B093184_zpstxy7dzie.jpg.html)

choke
01-26-2020, 01:02 PM
Choke,
Who makes those shoes?

RayDromarti

XXtwindad
01-26-2020, 01:05 PM
Oh come on....nobody here is arguing against your premise. Either way, can you post a photo of you wearing your cutest top?

Have a laugh.

You're taking someone to task for actually responding "on topic" to a post? Interesting.

colker
01-26-2020, 01:23 PM

Thing is.. not everybody will look good in tight jerseys. Even less in tight bibs. No matter how tastefull Rapha and the new generation of cycling wear.. it is still clownish looking to civillians, especially when wearing a helmet.
JUst focus on the riding, kind of bring an attitude of "i don´t care what anyone thinks" and it´s half way to style.
Otoh there is always the 80s mountain biker stoner look to adopt.

StephenCL
01-26-2020, 01:36 PM
I’d like to think that we have had some of the most stylish and best looking kit over the last 8 seasons.

There are hundreds of cyclists all over the world wearing one of our jerseys likely on a ride right now.

We took great lengths to have the right fabrics, cuts and designs.

The 2014 gloves, were a big flop but otherwise we outfitted our racers and club riders alike.

Don’t miss being part of the legacy!!!

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=246653

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Tim Porter
01-26-2020, 01:44 PM
Those nice clean Dromarti shoes are super, but they're not STYLISH until covered with a patina of Tuscan white road dust (L'Eroica 2011):

https://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a583/porterphoto1/file_zps724737a5.jpg

Buzz
01-26-2020, 02:03 PM
Those nice clean Dromarti shoes are super, but they're not STYLISH until covered with a patina of Tuscan white road dust (L'Eroica 2011):

https://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a583/porterphoto1/file_zps724737a5.jpg

I did the same thing with my shoes after L’Eroica.

Lots of style there. It’s the rider not the clothes IMO.

charliedid
01-26-2020, 02:05 PM
You're taking someone to task for actually responding "on topic" to a post? Interesting.

No I was in agreement !

charliedid
01-26-2020, 02:09 PM
Goals

kingpin75s
01-26-2020, 02:16 PM

That is a proper answer. I cannot do the Italian fit, but my dad has these with the matching gloves and they are great. Pure style. Great kit.

pasadena
01-26-2020, 03:02 PM
?? Rapha is one of the few that have very distinct types of cycling fit.
pro cut
'classic' cut
gravel- basically baggy technical t-shirts
womens

cycling in general can look clownish to the uninitiated.
You're right, people should wear whatever makes them happy. It's a hobby, and one that people are passionate about.
I don't judge anyone for clothing, just as when I'm not cycling.

Thing is.. not everybody will look good in tight jerseys. Even less in tight bibs. No matter how tastefull Rapha and the new generation of cycling wear.. it is still clownish looking to civillians, especially when wearing a helmet.
JUst focus on the riding, kind of bring an attitude of "i don´t care what anyone thinks" and it´s half way to style.
Otoh there is always the 80s mountain biker stoner look to adopt.

Other less well known brands:
PedalEd from Japan
Catella from Socal
There were two local brands: Endo and Angeles Creative, that had some unique flavor but haven't kept up on that.

more mainstream: Attaquer and Pedal Mafia from Australia.
I rode with the owners of Attaquer, both stellar cyclists.

Hellgate
01-26-2020, 06:26 PM
Lampre kit is big in Europe
http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj533/vonruden1/FEAA62ED-19BE-4D5C-BD18-26521B093184_zpstxy7dzie.jpg (http://s1266.photobucket.com/user/vonruden1/media/FEAA62ED-19BE-4D5C-BD18-26521B093184_zpstxy7dzie.jpg.html)I think I met that guy in Benidrom, Spain back in 2004! He was in yellow at the time. And my 3 YO son says, "Look at the yellow fat man!" His mother and I cringed.

joosttx
01-26-2020, 06:59 PM
You make no sense. Looking good is opinion not function. Pretty simple. What you like others don´t.
Looking good derives from having style on and off the bike. The pic of RdV w/ some ugly plastic strapped on his legs while riding in the rain made the point: he looks like a Prince because he has it. Also Coppi w/ a long coat and bibs. Only a King can pull it off. It´s the idea and it´s only tired when you never get it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Form_follows_function

dpdan93
01-26-2020, 07:01 PM
Pas Normal Studios

Really good stuff

^^^^^^^ High fashion of cycling imo. Their materials are out of this world

AngryScientist
01-26-2020, 07:09 PM
Related: XX, you're a personal trainer, yes?

That industry for "workout" athletic clothing has really exploded in the last several years too, right?

man, the days of going to the gym in an old Everlast or Champion sweatshirt with holes in it is gone!

lot's of new "kit" in that space too.

the good news is, IMO, as a runner - a lot of the fit and technical fabrics have gotten a world better than what i used to run in in HS/college. some of it is really excellent.

and socks! mama mia, i love socks.

FlashUNC
01-26-2020, 07:26 PM
^^^^^^^ High fashion of cycling imo. Their materials are out of this world

Love the materials, hate they abbreviate the name on stuff so it looks like they've decided to have the app name version of Penis blazoned all across their kit.

Colors and materials are first rate though.

XXtwindad
01-26-2020, 07:33 PM
Related: XX, you're a personal trainer, yes?

That industry for "workout" athletic clothing has really exploded in the last several years too, right?

man, the days of going to the gym in an old Everlast or Champion sweatshirt with holes in it is gone!

lot's of new "kit" in that space too.

the good news is, IMO, as a runner - a lot of the fit and technical fabrics have gotten a world better than what i used to run in in HS/college. some of it is really excellent.

and socks! mama mia, i love socks.

Yes, but men's workout apparel is still really lacking. I'd like to get some really cool workout "tights" that don't highlight your junk or make you look like something out of a late 80s teen comedy. lulu Lemon has some good stuff, but the assumption is that men don't really have any fashion sense...

dpdan93
01-26-2020, 07:43 PM
Love the materials, hate they abbreviate the name on stuff so it looks like they've decided to have the app name version of Penis blazoned all across their kit.

Colors and materials are first rate though.

hahahahahaha agreed, I only buy items that have the entire name spelled out.

colker
01-26-2020, 07:54 PM
Yes, but men's workout apparel is still really lacking. I'd like to get some really cool workout "tights" that don't highlight your junk or make you look like something out of a late 80s teen comedy. lulu Lemon has some good stuff, but the assumption is that men don't really have any fashion sense...

Since the 80s fashion relies on throwing back to find elegance. Sports fashion included; you can see Rapha taking inspiration from 50s and 60s cycling.. lengths and shapes have an idyllic love of the past as some sort of safe ground of good taste.

Miller76
01-26-2020, 08:15 PM
"Style is a way to say who you are without having to speak."

When I was younger I took plenty of time to match my kit, shoes, socks, helmets, all to the bike.

4-5 years ago, all of my kit was black, to match the stealth black bike.

More recently, with encouragement from the mother of my children, hi-vis has come to the fore.

I’ve always preferred simple, logo-less branding and have steered away from pro-team replica kits. I’m not getting paid to ride with giant logos, and to be honest if they saw me posing in replica kit I’m pretty sure they’d send a cease and desist letter..

Family have taken to gifting me with Rapha gift cards, not saying it’s the most stylish but the plain jerseys do appeal.

I’ve always wanted to try the Velocio kit below..

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200127/d46e4b7ea782a46b84316fda406c30a6.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200127/86d629da8ff6b4ac9bd55bde8d8aa84d.jpg

colker
01-26-2020, 08:18 PM
"Style is a way to say who you are without having to speak."

When I was younger I took plenty of time to match my kit, shoes, socks, helmets, all to the bike.

4-5 years ago, all of my kit was black, to match the stealth black bike.

More recently, with encouragement from the mother of my children, hi-vis has come to the fore.

I’ve always preferred simple, logo-less branding and have steered away from pro-team replica kits. I’m not getting paid to ride with giant logos, and to be honest if they saw me posing in replica kit I’m pretty sure they’d send a cease and desist letter..

Family have taken to gifting me with Rapha gift cards, not saying it’s the most stylish but the plain jerseys do appeal.

I’ve always wanted to try the Velocio kit below..

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200127/d46e4b7ea782a46b84316fda406c30a6.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200127/86d629da8ff6b4ac9bd55bde8d8aa84d.jpg

Otoh giant logos and loud colors are higher viz than classic subdued pastel colors.

Miller76
01-26-2020, 08:47 PM
Otoh giant logos and loud colors are higher viz than classic subdued pastel colors.

Couldn’t agree more - one of the reasons I pair a plain jersey with a contrasting vest....

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200127/832fdf90200c286abda6311c2fecf417.jpg

I have this jersey in a few different colors and the vest in blue, pink and yellow.

tv_vt
01-28-2020, 12:47 PM
Have to say this Rapha Italy jersey is nice. Too bad it's mostly black, but it looks good.

XXtwindad
01-28-2020, 12:52 PM
Have to say this Rapha Italy jersey is nice. Too bad it's mostly black, but it looks good.

No, it looks good because it's mostly black. :)

EricChanning
01-28-2020, 02:34 PM
Back in 2006, I had this jersey designed based off of one worn by British Racing legend Beryl Burton. This was slightly before the all the cool kids with graphic design skills started cycling clothing companies. So happy they did, btw!

asindc
01-28-2020, 02:40 PM
DE Vlaeminck, as usual, setting the sunday mood. From the era when people had style.

Love that photo.

hellvetica
01-28-2020, 04:29 PM
http://www.bernardridesagain.com

You're welcome.

ibis
01-28-2020, 04:32 PM

You're welcome.

I have a few Bernard kits. Good stuff. Brandon is a good guy, with a good eye for aesthetics. The new seamless kits are really comfortable too. I was hoping he'd have more winter options this year.

br995
01-28-2020, 04:57 PM
I think Rapha was great back in the day, but they seemed to have lost their way when it comes to sartorial stuff.

Some of their newer designs are alright:
https://i.imgur.com/a59MMSk.jpg

choke
01-28-2020, 05:29 PM
Some of their newer designs are alright:
http://cycle.ciocctoo.com/ralpha.jpg

merckx
01-28-2020, 05:43 PM
Back in 2006, I had this jersey designed based off of one worn by British Racing legend Beryl Burton. This was slightly before the all the cool kids with graphic design skills started cycling clothing companies. So happy they did, btw!

This defines the word style.

Gsinill
01-28-2020, 06:18 PM
https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697991571&stc=1&d=1579996299

Thanks for posting.
Based on my wife's comment on this picture, I decided that is time to drop out of The Paceline weight loss challenge ;)

XXtwindad
01-28-2020, 06:30 PM
Thanks for posting.
Based on my wife's comment on this picture, I decided that is time to drop out of The Paceline weight loss challenge ;)

Well, geez, you'll have to be one of my greatest success stories as a personal trainer. And we've never even met!

How about a testimonial ? :)

cgolvin
01-28-2020, 06:57 PM
While I agree that some recent Rapha designs have been more often miss than hit, I'd say that this is the most stylish piece of kit I have. Sizing down in their classic designs gives a good race fit, too.

IMO, the black & white version of this is even nicer but I know that I can't keep a white jersey clean.

zlin
01-28-2020, 07:08 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5eAQa4MOGkE

Old School
01-28-2020, 07:41 PM

You're welcome.

Can I get my name on it? Or just "Bernard" or "Eddie Bauer"

Old School
01-28-2020, 07:46 PM
The only things missing from that pic were ManBuns and Fixie gravel bikes

EPOJoe
01-28-2020, 08:07 PM
My most stylish ensemble...

madsciencenow
01-28-2020, 08:48 PM
This:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200129/e0d5056de11cd77daf1e131abb2285f4.jpg

pasadena
01-29-2020, 12:18 AM
This:

what is that? Reminds me of this:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/32/1919pelissier.jpg/170px-1919pelissier.jpg

CPP
01-29-2020, 03:11 AM
Style is not what you wear. It’s how you wear it.

madsciencenow
01-29-2020, 06:49 AM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/32/1919pelissier.jpg/170px-1919pelissier.jpg

Rapha, Kings of Pain Jersey. It came out a few years ago and if memory serves was the first item I ever purchased from Rapha. If you google it you can find additional images showing some of the detail on the jersey. Probably not everyone's cup of tea but I thought it was cool at the time and still do.

Old School
01-30-2020, 10:26 AM

I am quite sure that was Raphas intent.

pdmtong
01-30-2020, 11:33 AM

that was the idea...mimic the carrying of spare tires

Mzilliox
01-30-2020, 11:43 AM
The piece of kit i get the post comments on is this one:
https://www.cafeducycliste.com/media/catalog/product/3/1/311019-men-cycling-jersey-yolande-black-05.jpg
Cafe du Cycliste Yolanda. I have the Navy blue one with brown leather elbow pads, its really nice kit and every time i wear it somebody has something to say about it, men and women both.

my wife calls it the "handsome man jersey"

the isadore vest is also effin badass

AngryScientist
01-30-2020, 11:50 AM
https://www.cafeducycliste.com/media/catalog/product/3/1/311019-men-cycling-jersey-yolande-black-05.jpg
Cafe du Cycliste Yolanda. I have the Navy blue one with brown leather elbow pads, its really nice kit and every time i wear it somebody has something to say about it, men and women both.

oooo, perfect tri-athelete jersey! wouldnt want to wear the sleeves out on the elbow rests!

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0021/5701/9254/articles/Main_Felt_How_to_Choose_The_Best_Triathlon_Bike_20 48x.jpg?v=1569950337

XXtwindad
01-30-2020, 11:55 AM

Quit vomiting pixels. Let's Dance!!!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=it%27s+a+walk-off&qs=SC&cvid=957123bf125c4585b42a5e6dc4b0faf4&refig=f8f5baf7d0c14dfaaf9ed18b827e32ac&cc=US&setlang=en-US&elv=AQj93OAhDTi*HzTv1paQdngPts!bYQJDFy!QEat1s11aF9 kXIEoXGCsRUtoqBjGogFGVbaqWcaYvlUETWCDhEIVcM7UdVl2C uj0dpxCjaEwF&plvar=0&PC=DCTS&ru=%2fsearch%3fq%3dit%2527s%2ba%2bwalk-off%26form%3dEDGTCT%26qs%3dSC%26cvid%3d957123bf125 c4585b42a5e6dc4b0faf4%26refig%3df8f5baf7d0c14dfaaf 9ed18b827e32ac%26cc%3dUS%26setlang%3den-US%26elv%3dAQj93OAhDTi*HzTv1paQdngPts%2521bYQJDFy% 2521QEat1s11aF9kXIEoXGCsRUtoqBjGogFGVbaqWcaYvlUETW CDhEIVcM7UdVl2Cuj0dpxCjaEwF%26plvar%3d0%26PC%3dDCT S&view=detail&mmscn=vwrc&mid=824B447ACAF59A2AF58C824B447ACAF59A2AF58C&FORM=WRVORC

bironi
01-30-2020, 06:45 PM
I'll follow his suggestion.

joosttx
01-30-2020, 11:14 PM

I think that wins

martl
01-31-2020, 04:50 AM
Is there a list of kit providers that are guaranteed to make me look like these dorks? I really need it to ensure that I NEVER buy their stuff!

easy, find a tar pit and take a dive

XXtwindad
01-31-2020, 10:31 AM

Absolutely. On both counts. But, haters gonna hate...

https://www.bing.com/search?q=cool+like+dat+song&form=EDGEAR&qs=AS&cvid=0f5ca95109114f1cac5766a607fb6867&cc=US&setlang=en-US&elv=AQj93OAhDTi*HzTv1paQdngPts%21bYQJDFy%21QEat1s1 1a*UloSmzbI*ZS9i*TIFQC99t79SxVIx6aHI*xD9oAA0tAObeU JkZ9gQ5fjDthOkns&plvar=0&PC=DCTS

macaroon
01-31-2020, 10:38 AM
This:

XD "Kings of pain" - get in the bin. More cringe from Rapha, do people buy this **** with a straight face? "I'm a bed wetting cyclist and my legs hurt when I pedal too hard."

madsciencenow
01-31-2020, 10:52 AM
XD "Kings of pain" - get in the bin. More cringe from Rapha, do people buy this **** with a straight face? "I'm a bed wetting cyclist and my legs hurt when I pedal too hard."

There's a bit more to it than this but I do agree it's all marketing at the end of the day.

http://www.anothersomething.org/2014/06/24/kings-of-pain/

Regardless, I would have purchased the jersey as I like the aesthetic of it.

Old School
01-31-2020, 11:27 AM
For those of you who also read "my wife calls it the "handsome man jersey"", and immediately went to google, try Yolande

https://www.cafeducycliste.com/en_us/men-cycling-jersey-yolande-super-black.html

pdmtong
01-31-2020, 01:14 PM
There's a bit more to it than this but I do agree it's all marketing at the end of the day.

http://www.anothersomething.org/2014/06/24/kings-of-pain/

I sold my spare KoP bottle opener here recently. I do sense the hurt of riders past when I use it to find relief from my next frosty beverage.

madsciencenow
01-31-2020, 01:20 PM
I sold my spare KoP bottle opener here recently. I do sense the hurt of riders past when I use it to find relief from my next frosty beverage.

...sitting in my office here at work and just the thought is causing me pain at the thought of a frosty beverage.

cgolvin
01-31-2020, 01:33 PM

I regret that I waited too long to buy a used one from a friend.
My last attempt to find one resulted in someone with a NIB one for which he wanted full retail which was beyond my interest level. Still want, but at a discount.

EPOJoe
01-31-2020, 04:01 PM
If you can fit an extra small, there’s one on eBay for ninety-something bucks or best offer:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/cafe-du-cycliste-Arlette-Yolande-Merino-Men-Jersey-Size-XS/163904489381?hash=item26297807a5:g:VJoAAOSwAfhdnic l

9tubes
02-02-2020, 01:29 AM

Judging from what comprises the most items in manufacturer's lineups, the best colors for cycling clothes are black, black, dark blue, dark green, black and charcoal gray. Particularly in winter.

Maybe Rapha is actually owned by a group of personal injury attorneys.

_

Drmojo
02-02-2020, 03:58 AM
Judging from what comprises the most items in manufacturer's lineups, the best colors for cycling clothes are black, black, dark blue, dark green, black and charcoal gray. Particularly in winter.

Maybe Rapha is actually owned by a group of personal injury attorneys.

_

So true- the ninja/suicidal trend of black jerseys is beyond
foolhardy— hot in the sun, invisible in low light
or dark conditions. Go hard,go black, die young
but—leave a good looking corpse...

Kirk007
02-02-2020, 01:18 PM
foolhardy

Well, I'd agree that if you pair with all black everything else, but the torso is but a part of the siloutte.

I think you can get away with a black jersey if you take other measures to be visible. For me, when driving a car, the most visible factor is lights, day and night. Even red/orange jackets can "disappear" particularly at distance but good lights are impossible to ignore if your watching the road. Second, helmet color - nothing like a high viz orange POC or even white helmet at the top of the siloutte to get noticed. Neon/hi viz booties, socks, shoes. They rotate and catch attention. Hi viz/neon gloves. Yes by now you have completely upended the ninja look but you've rendered the low viz black jersey/jacket relatively moot. And you create a lot of contrast which also helps visibility.

And dark color jerseys/jackets have their advantages. I had some white Assos winter jackets and jerseys that attracted dirt stains, permanently, like moths to a flame.

XXtwindad
02-02-2020, 01:37 PM
foolhardy— hot in the sun, invisible in low light
or dark conditions. Go hard,go black, die young
but—leave a good looking corpse...

Appreciate the hyperbole, but not sold on the factuality. Many studies indicate the most important Hi-Viz apparel is on the body parts that are in motion, as opposed to something largely static like jerseys or vests.

Quote from a relevant article here:
https://cyclingtips.com/2016/06/does-reflective-and-fluorescent-clothing-make-us-safer/

"A reflective jacket, while clearly more effective than simple black clothing, limits reflective material to the rider’s torso which, according to Professor Wood and her colleagues “presents much less motion information to approaching drivers”.

"Reflective strips on the knees and ankles, on the other hand, move up and down as the cyclist moves, helping drivers to better recognise the object in front of them as a moving cyclist, as opposed to a simple light source3.
This finding seems to lead to an obvious recommendation for cyclists: if you want to maximise your safety at night, don’t just wear reflective clothing; ensure that the reflective clothing includes reflective strips worn on the ankles and knees."

Hi Viz socks seem like a good answer. I'm partial to pink anyway.

9tubes
02-02-2020, 08:18 PM
Why not both?

Nice bright jacket with bright booties. I can't think of a reason to wear a black jacket in the winter or evening light except a desire to increase the chances of getting hit.

Bike lights are good, but I've noticed here in Seattle that bike lights get lost in the visual cacophony of car lights, street lights, porch lights, etc. There isn't much flat ground here so a driver can't identify a light by elevation. If the rider is coming towards the driver the light can appear stationary (like a porch light, moving slowly due to the motion of the car).

All over the country drivers are hitting bicycles in broad daylight. I suspect every experienced rider on this forum has a story of nearly getting hit. (I even had a near miss by a policeman on a sunny day while I was in full blazing race kit. He claimed he didn't see me.) Why would anyone trust today's drivers to see them riding in full black in the rain or at night?

9tubes
02-02-2020, 08:43 PM
This is why I slap my head at people wearing black. This is the jersey I was wearing years ago when a policeman pulled in front of me from a cross road. He had the stop sign, and came to a stop, but then pulled out right in front of me.

He screeched to a halt. I screeched to a halt a foot from his passenger door. If my reaction time had been a tenth of a second slower I would have been under the SUV. Summer day, sunny, no traffic, no distractions, nothing in his sight line, and before cell phones and electronic gizmos in cars.

How many people have a similar story?

And people want to trust today's drivers and wear black in the dark and rain? That just makes me slap my head in disbelief.

OK, enough of the rant about black jackets. Back to the most stylish piece of kit.

Kirk007
02-02-2020, 10:00 PM
[QUOTE=9tubes;2652183]This is why I slap my head at people wearing black.

So your story could also prove the point that distracted drivers are distracted drivers and even your highly visible jersey was no better than a black one. I don't disagree that all black on a dark rainy night is at best unwise, particularly those who do so without lights.

I'd say your take on the value of lights highlights the importance of understanding where you are riding and what works and what does not. Just across the sound from you on Bainbridge Island, most of our roads and streets are dark, very dark at night and even in the day lack the cacaphony of visual stimuli that you describe. Over here lights are far and away the most immediately visible signal of a bicycle.

Finally having retired from many years of Seattle City cycling I'm not convinced that in today's Seattle anything you wear or do to make yourself visible on a dark, drenched night in the City is enough to make you safe. Maybe the guy I used to see commuting in full downhill body armor and a full face helmet had the right idea ; )

As to stylishness, unless you are into highly technical looks, I find ithard to argue with the Cafe du Cycliste vibe - lotsa nice pieces on their website.

verticaldoug
02-03-2020, 02:02 AM
Same here. The roads in england are dark and damp all winter. When I am out riding, the blinking light both front and back is noticeably from much farther away than any clothing. That's why I ride with my daylights blinking front and back

The one place nothing seems to help is being approached from behind into the sun. Lights, hiViz, doesn't really seem to matter.

weisan
02-03-2020, 04:23 AM
Unlike buying expensive bikes, some of these nice-looking kits look better on slender tight-fitting bodies...

Lionel
02-03-2020, 06:00 AM
Some of the CDC kits are pretty out there indeed.... You are starting to see a few around here though.

Like this as another example

https://www.cafeducycliste.com/media/catalog/product/m/e/men-cycling-jacket-albertine-solid-navy-3.jpg

colker
02-03-2020, 06:24 AM
Some of the CDC kits are pretty out there indeed.... You are starting to see a few around here though.

https://www.cafeducycliste.com/media/catalog/product/m/e/men-cycling-jacket-albertine-solid-navy-3.jpg

I would buy a yellow w/ black pocket.

Davist
02-03-2020, 06:26 AM
I got hit in a hi viz vest, matching gloves, and reflective ankle bands. Shoes are hi viz as well. I had lights on front and back and the pickup drove across an intersection (he had a stop sign, I didn't) pulled right in front of me. Oh well, people don't see you. I agree to try and stay more visible and the moving parts draw attention to you better, but people walk dogs with 800 lumen flashlights around here, hard to figure out speeds I guess if you're half asleep driving a truck (it was just before dawn but within civil twilight)

Lionel
02-03-2020, 06:48 AM
I am looking for a new wind gilet as my Assos broke, went to the rapha site..... Black, black or black or maybe white. No more high vis of any sort. Oh well. CDC has some funky looking pink, of course.

colker
02-03-2020, 08:24 AM
I got hit....(it was just before dawn but within civil twilight)

I believe most car>bike accidents happen early morning.

joosttx
02-03-2020, 08:32 AM
I am looking for a new wind gilet as my Assos broke, went to the rapha site..... Black, black or black or maybe white. No more high vis of any sort. Oh well. CDC has some funky looking pink, of course.

Check Velocio

https://velocio.cc/collections/mens-jackets-vests/products/mens-signature-softshell-vest

This has nice features:

High collar
Big zipper
Dual zipper

Princecycling
04-26-2020, 11:32 AM

Go to Pas Normal Studios. They've got thicker Shield Gilet's (waterproof/windroof) in some high viz.

huck*this
04-26-2020, 12:25 PM
Just picked up a PAS Normal long sleeve jersey. My god is it amazing. I have tried them all out there and the fabric is just perfect. I’m hooked and will be selling my other stuff to buy more PNS.

XXtwindad
04-26-2020, 12:35 PM
Just picked up a PAS Normal long sleeve jersey. My god is it amazing. I have tried them all out there and the fabric is just perfect. I’m hooked and will be selling my other stuff to buy more PNS.

What's the fit like on the jerseys? European? Size up? Looks to be sized larger than most European brands. I'm 6'0 and 200. I usually take an XL or even an XXL depending on the brand (Isadore/Café du Cycliste) Pas Normal recommends an "L" for me.

FlashUNC
04-26-2020, 12:41 PM

When they spell out the name on the jerseys it's fine, otherwise it just looks like they abbreviated penis and slapped it all over their clothing.

Yes, they're aware of it, and yes they think its funny. Danes.

Quality stuff though.

XXtwindad
04-26-2020, 12:44 PM
When they spell out the name on the jerseys it's fine, otherwise it just looks like they abbreviated penis and slapped it all over their clothing.

Quality stuff though.

Interesting. My mind never went there. Let me know if you have any thoughts on, um... sizing. :)

pasadena
04-27-2020, 11:58 AM
Pas Normal is nice stuff but I can't ride around with PNS on my clothes.

estilley
04-27-2020, 12:35 PM
I went for a ride yesterday in some Prana shorts with my MTB padded liners under them and a merino wool t shirt.

I think I could have done this for 40-50 miles. And I might start. Ventilation sure is improved.

makoti
04-27-2020, 04:25 PM

notsew
04-27-2020, 04:53 PM

This is like for riding to get coffee, though right? Or skiing maybe? Not actually for riding your bike. I'm getting sweaty just looking at it.

azrider
04-27-2020, 05:30 PM
Interesting. My mind never went there. Let me know if you have any thoughts on, um... sizing. :)

You know what they say......."people see what they want to see"

:p:p:p

FlashUNC
04-27-2020, 05:53 PM

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/5036196fe4b09af678ee6898/1561759760402-70Z2D2F4AKMT2N7992QH/ke17ZwdGBToddI8pDm48kFmfxoboNKufWj-55Bgmc-J7gQa3H78H3Y0txjaiv_0fDoOvxcdMmMKkDsyUqMSsMWxHk725 yiiHCCLfrh8O1z4YTzHvnKhyp6Da-NYroOW3ZGjoBKy3azqku80C789l0iXS6XmVv7bUJ418E8Yoc1h juviiiZmrL38w1ymUdqq4JaGeFUxjM-HeS7Oc-SSFcg/PNS_Mechanism_SS19_DSC_4934.jpg

RoosterCogset
04-27-2020, 06:12 PM
This Isadore merino membrane vest is, by far, my favorite piece of kit that I own. Looks totally bad ass off the bike.

Others?

Just saw again (probably for the 10th time) a rerun of the Big Lebowski. "No Donnie, these men are Nihilists. Nothing to be afraid of." Somehow this scene comes to mind.

Seramount
04-27-2020, 06:17 PM
I look good in cycling kit.

not sure what you're doing wrong if you don't...

XXtwindad
04-27-2020, 06:21 PM
https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/5036196fe4b09af678ee6898/1561759760402-70Z2D2F4AKMT2N7992QH/ke17ZwdGBToddI8pDm48kFmfxoboNKufWj-55Bgmc-J7gQa3H78H3Y0txjaiv_0fDoOvxcdMmMKkDsyUqMSsMWxHk725 yiiHCCLfrh8O1z4YTzHvnKhyp6Da-NYroOW3ZGjoBKy3azqku80C789l0iXS6XmVv7bUJ418E8Yoc1h juviiiZmrL38w1ymUdqq4JaGeFUxjM-HeS7Oc-SSFcg/PNS_Mechanism_SS19_DSC_4934.jpg

You’ve been immersed in too much Freud during the lockdown. Go for a ride :)

FlashUNC
04-27-2020, 06:41 PM
You’ve been immersed in too much Freud during the lockdown. Go for a ride :)

Nah, wouldn't want to be walking up Redwood with a broken wheel.

XXtwindad
04-27-2020, 06:50 PM
Nah, wouldn't want to be walking up Redwood with a broken wheel.

Use your core! It’s a great workout :)

cgolvin
04-27-2020, 07:27 PM
Let me know if you have any thoughts on, um... sizing. :)

“It’s not the meat it’s the motion”?

huck*this
04-27-2020, 07:56 PM

Quality stuff though.

I see that and heard of the same thing. I to would not get the PNS logo. I would and have only opted for the full spelling.

pdmtong
04-27-2020, 08:01 PM
“It’s not the meat it’s the motion”?

I heard Maria sing that in a small club a decade ago...quite good live.

Sing your camels to bed ...

TunaAndBikes
09-17-2020, 03:08 PM
Adding to this thread; anyone try the new Paul Smith Jerseys/kit?
Competitively priced and, well, stylish!

https://www.paulsmith.com/uk/cycling-clothing-and-accessories

XXtwindad
09-17-2020, 09:26 PM
Adding to this thread; anyone try new Paul Smith Jerseys/kit?
Competitively priced and, well, stylish!

https://www.paulsmith.com/uk/cycling-clothing-and-accessories

Um...I'm not a fan. I liked his earlier, classier "bespoke" stuff. I think he and Rapha have collectively "jumped the aesthetic shark." The day-glo stuff doesn't do anything for me. One possible exception if Raphas's "brevet" line. But even then, they veer into strange color combos, like navy blue jerseys with yellow piping. I guess if you're a Cal fan, it's great.

I do like merino, however. I find that the combination of merino and chunkier tires is great. I have some summer lightweight stuff coming from Cafe Du Cycliste and Cima Coppi that I'm anxious to try.

Nalini and De Marchi have some good merino offerings as well. Rode my "1970" jersey on a ride today. Perfect for 65 degrees or so. Also pictured: the seminal Rapha/Paul Smith collaboration. The "Maglia Nera." Robj was kind enough to sell it back to me after I sold it to him. And here it shall stay ...

jpw
09-18-2020, 02:21 AM

Does this actually work when riding?

charliedid
09-18-2020, 07:46 AM
Um...I'm not a fan. I liked his earlier, classier "bespoke" stuff. I think he and Rapha have collectively "jumped the aesthetic shark." The day-glo stuff doesn't do anything for me. One possible exception if Raphas's "brevet" line. But even then, they veer into strange color combos, like navy blue jerseys with yellow piping. I guess if you're a Cal fan, it's great.

I do like merino, however. I find that the combination of merino and chunkier tires is great. I have some summer lightweight stuff coming from Cafe Du Cycliste and Cima Coppi that I'm anxious to try.

Nalini and De Marchi have some good merino offerings as well. Rode my "1970" jersey on a ride today. Perfect for 65 degrees or so. Also pictured: the seminal Rapha/Paul Smith collaboration. The "Maglia Nera." Robj was kind enough to sell it back to me after I sold it to him. And here it shall stay ...

It's nice looking stuff but I think it has a rather limited audience in the world of cycle clothing. I think Rapha was smart to move beyond it while still remaining true to the Classic and Brevet line.

Just an opinion.

charliedid
09-18-2020, 07:47 AM

No, once you start pedaling the sleeves fall off and the insulation pours out :p

brownhound
09-18-2020, 07:51 AM

I have that piece in a different color way. For me, it's good at about 20 degrees, commuting at about 30. Even then, I'll keep the pace down.

Lionel
09-18-2020, 07:55 AM

I can't tell as I do not have one. But a couple of buddies to not seem to complain. It's pretty warm.

XXtwindad
09-18-2020, 08:37 AM
It's nice looking stuff but I think it has a rather limited audience in the world of cycle clothing. I think Rapha was smart to move beyond it while still remaining true to the Classic and Brevet line.

Just an opinion.

“Evolve or Perish.” No doubt. I’ll always like the classic, understated look though. Vélobici does a good job of maintaining a classic aesthetic while using modern materials. I have their sand “René” jersey, because brown is the new pink.

P.S. If anyone has a Velobici "wine" jersey in an "XL" they'd like to sell, please PM me :)

charliedid
09-18-2020, 08:54 AM
“Evolve or Perish.” No doubt. I’ll always like the classic, understated look though. Vélobici does a good job of maintaining a classic aesthetic while using modern materials. I have their sand “René” jersey, because brown is the new pink.

Yeah no doubt it's easier than ever to find neo-retro styling in high quality garments. Back in the mid 90's when we were trying to look beyond the pale it was all Legnano and Molteni acrylic stuff. Then SWOBO and others started pushing retro wool with "classic" designs. DeMarchi was always there but hard to get and $$$ back then. No chance.

I love most of the new color palette Rapha is using on some of it's stuff. It's appeal IMO aims straight at a younger more diverse bike culture wing of cycling while still maintaining the real core of Rapha which is understated classics and modern pro team.

I dig these.

jkbrwn
09-18-2020, 09:17 AM
Each to their own! I worked at Rapha during some of their worst colour combos (like the pastel yellow and pastel purple randoneé shorts), but these have got to be the most ludicrous colour combos to ever exist. The purple is passable actually but the green and brown. Oof!

charliedid
09-18-2020, 09:34 AM
Each to their own! I worked at Rapha during some of their worst colour combos (like the pastel yellow and pastel purple randoneé shorts), but these have got to be the most ludicrous colour combos to ever exist. The purple is passable actually but the green and brown. Oof!

It's not for everyone and I would buy the purple and red one over the green and brown but it seems to be on trend. Take a look at some of the newest colors at Patagonia. I think my point is that it's good that they are just standing still.

And not just looking behind them for inspiration.

cgolvin
09-18-2020, 05:33 PM

Just shows you how personal fashion taste is. I own and really like the purple randonée shorts…and wish I'd bought the yellow ones, too.

Of course, not everyone can pull off those colors ;-)

Definitely not a fan of these new brevet schemes, except the hot pink gilet with pockets, I'd rock that if I didn't have an abundance of gilets.

jkbrwn
09-18-2020, 08:37 PM
Just shows you how personal fashion taste is. I own and really like the purple randonée shorts…and wish I'd bought the yellow ones, too.

Of course, not everyone can pull off those colors ;-)

Definitely not a fan of these new brevet schemes, except the hot pink gilet with pockets, I'd rock that if I didn't have an abundance of gilets.

Ha! Well there were warehouses overflowing with them while they were on sale for about a year :p

XXtwindad
09-23-2020, 03:11 PM

P.S. If anyone has a Velobici "wine" jersey in an "XL" they'd like to sell, please PM me :)

First ride report with the Velobici Rene jersey. In "sand" because brown is the new pink.

Morning ride with the weather about 65 degrees. First leg of the ride is about 1,100 feet of climbing 70 percent paved, and 30 percent dirt. I took off my insulated brevet within five minutes of starting the climb.

The jersey breathes incredibly well. Made for much hotter temps than the conditions in which I was wearing it. The descent was windy but I never felt chilly and never bothered to put the brevet back on. I do tend to run hotter, however.

The fit is snug. Not "Pas Normal" snug, but in the same vicinity. I'm six feet and roughly 200. 42 chest and broad shoulders. Off the bike, the jersey rides up to my waistline. It's therefore best worn with a bib. The material is extremely forgiving. I never felt constricted - either on or off the bike.

So, let's talk about aesthetics. My Partner's take: an unqualified "no." To her eyes, it looked "vintage ...like something out of the Sixties."

My take: exactly. That's why I like it. Classic retro looks. The little touches like the zipper (a "VB" coin) the pockets and the honeycomb stitching give it timeless appeal.

They're on sale now, but are sold out of most sizes. If there are any left in sizes that fit you, I say grab 'em.

RonW87
09-23-2020, 04:45 PM
Yeah no doubt it's easier than ever to find neo-retro styling in high quality garments. Back in the mid 90's when we were trying to look beyond the pale it was all Legnano and Molteni acrylic stuff. Then SWOBO and others started pushing retro wool with "classic" designs. DeMarchi was always there but hard to get and $$$ back then. No chance.

I love most of the new color palette Rapha is using on some of it's stuff. It's appeal IMO aims straight at a younger more diverse bike culture wing of cycling while still maintaining the real core of Rapha which is understated classics and modern pro team.

I dig these.

https://i.etsystatic.com/17056619/r/il/3381dc/1804985398/il_794xN.1804985398_p6ra.jpg

https://i.etsystatic.com/17056619/r/il/3381dc/1804985398/il_794xN.1804985398_p6ra.jpg