PDA

View Full Version : 11 speed Campagnolo freehub on Lemond Revolution

Veloo
01-25-2020, 03:19 PM
Is anyone riding a Lemond Revolution with 11 speed freehub?

With the standard 10 speed Shimano freehub body, thee is quite a bit of locknut space from the cassette locking to the edge of the nut. And I can tighten the locknut quite a bit with no restriction in freehub body movement. This is seen in the first pic.

When I install the Campy 11 freehub the instructions say to tighten just a bit more than finger tight. When I get to the 10th cog, there is very little freehub body left for the 11th cog and when all 11 cogs and cassette locking are on and tight, there is not much space left between lockring and edge of locknut. This is in the 2nd and 3rd pics.

It does end up working as I've used this in the past but I was experimenting with metal cassette spacers on the Campy cassette and there was absolutely no locknut space left so my dropout would have been contacting the cassette lockring. I guess with plastic Campy spacers, there may be some give but that can also lead to cracking.
I also find that if I tighten the locknut a bit too much past the contact point even with my fingers alone then the freehub doesn't spin freely.

Anyone else seeing this? Just kind of sucks that this $100 11 speed freehub is a bit on the delicate side during install.