PDA

View Full Version : Velocity Aerohead 650B

hummu
01-06-2007, 02:01 PM
Hi all. Just a bump for P. Lynn Miller's Velocity Aerohead 650B project. Time is running out. Act now.

I'm sure that all the usual suspects have got their requsts in, as do I. But I really want to see this happen. More choices = good. Click here for information: http://www.chainringtransitauthority.com/650b_aerohead.shtml

hypnos
01-06-2007, 02:16 PM
For 650b applications the Velocity Synergy rim seems like a better choice, ATMO. It is 3mm wider than the Arrowhead, perfect for wider tires. Also available in the Off Center Design.

ergott
01-06-2007, 03:14 PM
I second Hypnos.

hummu
01-06-2007, 03:28 PM
All very valid points. But surely there are three more people out there (or three more bikes needing a wheelset) who: Count grams. Want to use skinny fat tires. Wish to save time on their next 1200 by using lighter equipment but don't want to do it on 700 x 23 tires. Or even just want to have another choice in a 650B rim. I'm all of the above (oh, except my next 1200, not going to do one of those).

dauwhe
01-06-2007, 04:13 PM
I've signed up for a couple of rims. I'm happy with the Synergys for the Trimline tires (37mm); might be cool to use the Aeroheads with the Grand Bois (31mm) or Megamium (29mm)...

Dave

hummu
01-06-2007, 05:32 PM
Yes Dave.

If the project happens (and I'm hopeful it will) I'm going to order the Grand Bois. Then I'll build up a wheel set with Ultegra hubs, Light spokes (probably DT Revolution), alloy nipples, and hey! Aerohead rims.

Hey whippet tanker! What's that new R weigh? And will it plane? ;)

Greg

Steve Hampsten
01-06-2007, 10:06 PM
Douglas and I are in for several.

Jus' sayin'.

bfd
01-06-2007, 11:11 PM
<might be cool to use the Aeroheads with the Grand Bois (31mm) or Megamium (29mm)...>

I don't get it? If the purpose of using 650B (584mm) wheels is the fable "cushiness" of the tires, what the purpose of having a "lightweight" rim and narrow, at least for this size, 30-32mm tire? Is this combo going to make a 650B wheel *feel* faster? What will happen to all that cushiness? Would this combo defeat the purpose of going to this wheels size?

palincss
01-07-2007, 06:02 AM
<might be cool to use the Aeroheads with the Grand Bois (31mm) or Megamium (29mm)...>

I don't get it? If the purpose of using 650B (584mm) wheels is the fable "cushiness" of the tires, what the purpose of having a "lightweight" rim and narrow, at least for this size, 30-32mm tire? Is this combo going to make a 650B wheel *feel* faster? What will happen to all that cushiness? Would this combo defeat the purpose of going to this wheels size?

There are a couple of answers to this question. First, there are many people who are light enough and small enough that a 32x650B may be both silk-road cushy and also maybe the biggest thing that will actually fit without compromising frame design.

Also, remember that the Grand Bois tire was originally conceived to provide rubber for certain classic bikes made for this size that actually won't accept a 38x650B. Presumably the builders and customers of that day had some idea what they were doing, so perhaps that niche exists today as well.

Finally, there are some who simply want to experiment. Considering what passes for road bikes today, how crazy could they be? $12,000 insectoid carbon monstrosities bearing names (like DeRosa) once associated with stunning beauty and grace, boutique wheelsets that cost more than one of e-Richie's frames - that's crazy, atmo. Being willing to spend a hundred bucks on a couple of rims, not so much...

39cross
01-07-2007, 07:29 AM
I've signed up for a couple of rims. I'm happy with the Synergys for the Trimline tires (37mm); might be cool to use the Aeroheads with the Grand Bois (31mm) or Megamium (29mm)...

DaveI'm in for a pair also, thinking along the same lines as Dave. Does it make rational sense...dunno..for me, it's just for fun -why not try 'em?

dauwhe
01-07-2007, 09:36 AM

For me, it's because the Grand Bois tire feels great. It doesn't have the "cush" of the Trimline (37mm), but it's far smoother and more comfortable than the 27mm or 28mm 700c tires I've ridden (Rolly Polly, Ruffy Tuffy, Avocet Duro).

It's also fun to experiment, and having options is a good thing. I wouldn't buy a 650b x 23mm tire, but if it happened I wouldn't consider it the end of civilization (the end is already here, because they don't make the Trimline any more)!

Dave, who's also waiting on the 700c Grand Bois!

palincss
01-08-2007, 04:47 PM
Forwarded from a message posted on the 650B list:

Happy New Year to everyone!

The CTA 650b Aerohead rim is moving ahead. We have met and exceeded our original target, so be sure and thank all your fellow 650b riders who stepped up and supported this project. And if you still want to place an order, feel free to do so, the more the merrier!

I have sold 21 set of rims to individual riders and Tim Rangitsch of Acme Bicycles will be stocking this rim for his riders.

So now the collection of money starts. There will be an invoice for each order along with payment instructions, which I will starting E-mailing very soon.

At the moment, the plans are for a 28H symmetrical(non-offset) rim, which can be used as a front or a rear rim and a 32H asymmetrical(off-set) rim for rear use only. I have received quite a few requests for a 32H symmetrical rims sets(front & rear) by riders of single speed and fixed-gear bikes, where an off-set rear is not practical or needed. It makes no difference to me or Velocity what the final drilling choice is, so let's hear some discussion on this.

The rear(offset) rims will be started on Monday and will be drilled 32H, which I believe is the best choice and is agreed upon by all.

The front(non-offset) rims will not be started until the last week of January, so we have bit of time for discussion. A 28H or 32H front rim?

Also I will have a batch of blanks rolled and will be offering custom drilling for the extra cost of $10 per rim. I already have an order for a set of 16H front, 24H OC rear rims. So if you want a drilling other than the standard, you have the option of a custom drilled rim.

Thanks,

--
P. Lynn Miller
Sydney, Australia
www.chainringtransitauthority.com

visit the CTA blog - <http://chainringtransitauthority.com/cta_blog/>

hummu
01-09-2007, 09:12 AM
[Homer Simpson] Hee hee! My 650B wheels are going to be grams, I say GRAMS, lighter than your 650B wheels. Woo hoo! In your face utility bike rider! [/Homer Simpson]

dauwhe
01-09-2007, 09:19 AM
I think it would be cool to get an Aluminum Tournesol 650B with a carbon fork, the Aerohead rims, and Grand Bois tires. Set it up with a Record Compact group, and have a grand time on club rides! And you'd still have a bike far more comfortable and versatile than most.

You might have to get Bruce Gordon to make some fat carbon fenders, though. Although Honjos are pretty light...

Dave

palincss
01-09-2007, 09:48 AM
I think it would be cool to get an Aluminum Tournesol 650B with a carbon fork, the Aerohead rims, and Grand Bois tires. Set it up with a Record Compact group, and have a grand time on club rides! And you'd still have a bike far more comfortable and versatile than most.

You might have to get Bruce Gordon to make some fat carbon fenders, though. Although Honjos are pretty light...

Dave

So how close is that Tournesol you're envisioning to one of those Trek Pilot "rocket bike" conversions?

dauwhe
01-09-2007, 10:01 AM
Don't know much about the geometry of the Treks. I'm only wary because I rented a Trek Pilot 2.1 when I was in Colorado last fall, and hated it! Felt like I was going to crash every time I hit a bump. I know the handling would likely be quite different with 650B wheels, but I personally wouldn't take the chance without a test ride, or more information than I have now.

Anyway, the superfast 650B bike is just a fantasy for me. I actually have a Tournesol on order that should be done very very soon, although it's 700C. And if I could have any bike in the world, it would be a Weigle 650B!

Dave

hummu
01-09-2007, 11:31 AM
Or will when they make it across the water. So you jut gotta speak up for the frame. I'm sure he'd build it up just like you want Dave.

Vancouverdave
01-09-2007, 11:51 AM
This will also be interesting to watch in the interest of designing bikes for shorter people. Tire availability in 571mm rims (650c) has never been very good, and there are geometric compromises in designing for those and for 559mm rims (not enough bb drop does cause some drive train problems, gives some bad chain lines through front derailleur cage; creates noisy gears that bikes with bigger wheels/more bb drop don't have) that 584 rims would be just tall enough to avoid. A 650b 19mm wide rim with a 650 x 25 tire could help build a better bike in sizes under 52 cm--allow for a shorter front center with less foot/fender or foot/tire conflict. I'm watching this with interest and full-time framebuilders should as well.

Steve Hampsten
01-09-2007, 12:29 PM
This will also be interesting to watch in the interest of designing bikes for shorter people. Tire availability in 571mm rims (650c) has never been very good, and there are geometric compromises in designing for those and for 559mm rims (not enough bb drop does cause some drive train problems, gives some bad chain lines through front derailleur cage; creates noisy gears that bikes with bigger wheels/more bb drop don't have) that 584 rims would be just tall enough to avoid. A 650b 19mm wide rim with a 650 x 25 tire could help build a better bike in sizes under 52 cm--allow for a shorter front center with less foot/fender or foot/tire conflict. I'm watching this with interest and full-time framebuilders should as well.

Exactly, Dave. Just what I'm thinking.

J.Greene
01-09-2007, 01:07 PM

I not full time or even a part time builder. As silly as it seems though i'm gonna build a frame around this rim and see what 650b is about. The frame will have a big basket on the front to make my weekly pilgrimage to the bagel shop. I'll never ride a road bike off road so a 32c tire should be plenty cushy for me to haul bagels atmo.

JG