PDA

View Full Version : Rivendell Geometry?

AngryScientist
01-23-2020, 07:03 PM
Not that i'm in the market for a bike, but noted Riv's email today about a pre-order on Appaloosa's:

https://www.rivbike.com/products/2020-appaloosa-framset?_sid=eb4387721&_ss=r&_pos=1&_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJuaWNrZGVudWRlQHlhaG9vLmNvbS IsICJrbF9jb21wYW55X2lkIjogIkxWYjZhQyJ9

Am i missing something or is there just no geometry listed anywhere?

I think the way these bikes are set-up and marketed is silly, but the frames themselves have some potential, as we have seen really nice set up Riv's in the past. My curiosity was whether one of these could be set up as a drop bar bike, but that would depend on the geometry, of which i can find none.

do they really sell bikes buy a single "PBH" measurement?

maybe i'm missing where geo is listed?

AngryScientist
01-23-2020, 07:03 PM
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1403/7343/products/Rivendell-Appaloosa-Touring-Bicycle-Web-Special-Sqr-2_91e5b3a4-569b-4c4e-8da1-b0217af86a28_1600x.jpg?v=1579725919

eddief
01-23-2020, 07:09 PM
He might be the hardest working human in the bike business, always pedaling as fast as he possibly can. I admire him on one hand and my heart goes out to him on the other. Like a salmon swimming upstream forever.

https://www.rivbike.com/products/appaloosa-frameset-last-chance

Frankwurst
01-23-2020, 07:12 PM
https://www.rivbike.com/pages/geometry

AngryScientist
01-23-2020, 07:14 PM
ah hah!

thanks guys. i see the light.

not one of those sizes would be small enough for me!

peanutgallery
01-23-2020, 07:33 PM
But that shipping cost

$87 for a frame and $175 for a bike to the lower 48. Yikes

He might be the hardest working human in the bike business, always pedaling as fast as he possibly can. I admire him on one hand and my heart goes out to him on the other. Like a salmon swimming upstream forever.

https://www.rivbike.com/products/appaloosa-frameset-last-chance

Bici-Sonora
01-23-2020, 08:34 PM
ah hah!

If you want to run drops on a Riv—look for a Roadeo, Rambouillet, or Roadini. Those and a few others are best for drops. Most of their more recent models aren’t designed for drops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bici-Sonora
01-23-2020, 08:42 PM
Also, regarding sizing—give them a call—Grant might even answer. Sometimes they have some small or really large sizes gathering dust in the warehouse. You really can get sized almost solely by your PBH on one—they almost all will have less standover and less saddle to bar drop than your other bikes. They will also probably recommended a size one or two sizes bigger than what you are used to. I owned a Rambouillet set up their way and was surprised how much I liked it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rccardr
01-23-2020, 08:50 PM
If I remember correctly, the Apaloosa is basically an old style Atlantis made overseas instead of in the US. So yeah, you can use drops with them. Would make a great ramble/adventure bike I think. Ability to take big tires helps with that.

charliedid
01-23-2020, 08:54 PM
ah hah!

Sure they would. Slack as hell and most are high upright bar bikes. Don't let your road bikes skew your sizing with these.

Ken Robb
01-23-2020, 11:00 PM
ah hah!

The 46cm frame is for a PBH down to 76cm. Their "ladies bikes" (Grant hates that term) ride like other Rivs and they can fit less statuesque riders nicely. :)Riv staff are very helpful on the phone if you want their opinion on fit for yourself.

marciero
01-24-2020, 04:25 AM
I thought you were just supposed to trust Grant's design thinking on geo.

That said, a scatterplot of Rodeo HT angle vs size would raise some questions.

colker
01-24-2020, 06:05 AM
Go for it! Call them and get one. They went for a extremist approach w/ the extra long chainstays and i bet it rides beautifully off road.

AngryScientist
01-24-2020, 06:22 AM
Go for it! Call them and get one.

haha. not me!

as i mentioned, i'm not really in the market for a new bike, and now that i have seen the geometry charts, i can confirm that these are not for me.

NYCfixie
01-24-2020, 06:28 AM
But that shipping cost

$87 for a frame and $175 for a bike to the lower 48. Yikes

Read the fine print:
"We'll adjust the final shipping charge when the frame/bike actually ships."

Doug Fattic
01-24-2020, 08:13 AM
haha. not me! as i mentioned, i'm not really in the market for a new bike, and now that i have seen the geometry charts, i can confirm that these are not for me.I presume from your comment you are not at all interested in a bike with upright handlebars. I am under the impression that has Grant has aged, his frame designed have properly followed suit to better fit higher handlebars or upright bars. Making a go-fast frame fit those purposes doesn't work well. As you hands go up (and maybe way up with upright bars) you butt goes back requiring slacker angles and longer chain stays. The emphasis switches from speed to comfort.

In my last frame building class I made myself a frame that I would describe as a "go for a walk" type of bike. Part of the learning process is watching the instructor do what what the student will be expected to do. Our city just finished the last section of a bike path close to me. I want to jump on a bike with street clothes and get a bit of fresh air when a brief amount of time is available. With upright handlebars i designed the frame with 71º angles and long chainstays. Because it falls into the city bike catagory, I brazed on bits to attach a kick stand, ring lock and chain guard. This frame wouldn't work well with drop bars.

AngryScientist
01-24-2020, 08:20 AM
I presume from your comment you are not at all interested in a bike with upright handlebars.

correct.

i can see where such a bike might be perfect/appealing to some folks, but i have no use case for one.