PDA

View Full Version : Pls confirm: impossible to put a Campy freehub body on a Shimano hub

cgolvin
01-23-2020, 12:05 PM
I am 95% sure that this is correct, all my searching leads me to this conclusion, just looking for confirmation.

Thanks

sales guy
01-23-2020, 12:41 PM
If it's an actual Shimano branded hub, then no, you can not put a Campy freehub body on there.

If it's a hubset like a DT or White Ind. or something, then yes. They offer both with different axles, spacers or end caps.

cgolvin
01-23-2020, 01:46 PM
If it's an actual Shimano branded hub, then no, you can not put a Campy freehub body on there.

Thanks, I should have clarified -- it's a Shimano DuraAce C35 wheel so you've confirmed my understanding. Appreciate it.

Elefantino
01-23-2020, 01:55 PM
Is it for 11 speed?

cgolvin
01-23-2020, 02:15 PM
Is it for 11 speed?

I'm not sure of the question. If your meaning was "you can use a Shimano 11 cassette with your Campy 11 shift group," I am aware of that as I do so today.

My goal would be to use the wheels on a Campy 12 equipped bike. I guess the secondary questions are could I put a SRAM 12 speed cassette on that wheel and would it play nice with a Campy 12? I thought the answer to the latter was 'no'.

jtbadge
01-23-2020, 02:18 PM
A SRAM 12 speed freehub and cassette won’t fit, either.

Jeff N.
01-23-2020, 05:12 PM
However, you CAN put a Shimano freehub body on a Campy hub...that's one of the beauties of Campy wheels/hubs.

sales guy
01-23-2020, 05:13 PM
I'm not sure of the question. If your meaning was "you can use a Shimano 11 cassette with your Campy 11 shift group," I am aware of that as I do so today.

My goal would be to use the wheels on a Campy 12 equipped bike. I guess the secondary questions are could I put a SRAM 12 speed cassette on that wheel and would it play nice with a Campy 12? I thought the answer to the latter was 'no'.

A SRAM 12 is the new XD/R driver style. It won't fit on a Shimano 11 or 12 speed micro spline hub. It won't even fit the 11 speed SRAM hubs. Totally different style. Picture attached

As to the original question, no, you can not put a Campagnolo freehub on any Shimano branded hub. Even if it's in a build wheel like the C35.

bikinchris
01-23-2020, 05:30 PM
That sounds like a business opportunity. Building crossover freehub bodies to switch over hubs to fit the other brand.
So you could take your Shimano or Campy hub and swap an XD freehub body or the other brand freehub onto it.

Old School
01-23-2020, 05:39 PM
Just so long as you pay your patent penance to Shimano Microshift, Sram XD, etc. etc

oldpotatoe
01-24-2020, 06:22 AM
However, you CAN put a Shimano freehub body on a Campy hub...that's one of the beauties of Campy wheels/hubs.

Well, not exactly. You can put a HyperGlide freehub body, made by Campagnolo, onto a Campagnolo hub from 1999 or so or on a Campagnolo or Fulcrum wheel.

I'm sure you know that, just clarifying..:)