PDA

View Full Version : Programmers? Help save Routeslip!

BumbleBeeDave
01-06-2007, 07:22 AM
About two weeks ago I discovered a site called routeslip.com, which lets me plan routes easily, then generate printed route maps with elevation profiles and a written cue sheet, including cumulative distance AND climbing. I've only experimented a bit and gotten one route saved the way I wanted it, but the site is GREAT. It's exactly what I've been looking for to build a library of routes and then print them out in a professional looking way. I've seen one thread here about the site and I'm sure others can chime in with testimonials.

Now, the problem . . . there are problems with the site and I haven't been able to log in for a week. Many others have had the same problem and some other problems. The site developer, Ryan Huff, is honest about needing help to help get the scripting glitches ironed out and he is presently moving the site to a larger host to solve some of the volume issues. But he gave me permission to post his name, his e-mail, and his request here in the hope that there may be some developers who can help him out.

He's at: rlhuff@gmail.com

Or, you can see the routeslip users group at: http://groups.google.com/group/RouteSlip

He tells me that the site's written in PHP and JavaScript with MySQL and that you'd need to be an advanced developer to know what's what.

I hope there's someone here who can help him out . . . I don't know squat about what he's talking about. but I do know that the site is great and incredibly useful, it's free, and I'd hate to see it die because he doesn't have time away from his day job to take care of it.

Thanks!

BBD

Louis
01-06-2007, 12:53 PM
bump

A buddy of mine has posted some of our rides on Routeslip and it is pretty cool. Sorry to hear that they are having problems.

palincss
01-06-2007, 03:58 PM
As of this morning, most of the issues have been solved. I've been able to log in since yesterday, was able to create a route (although the mileage got a bit wonky) but at 7 am I wasn't able to create a cue sheet. I just tried it, and was able to do so.
My wonky mileage remains, so maybe I'll have to re-enter that route.

BumbleBeeDave
01-06-2007, 04:16 PM
I still can't log in. I keep getting the same orange box with "Please log in before you can use this feature." and it won't let me in. When I try with my old password it tells me there is no such user, so it seems to be recognizing me, but is stuck in some sort of "please sign in" loop. I'd rather not have to set up a whole new account, but I guess if that's what I have to do . . .

BBD

cycleman_21
01-06-2007, 04:42 PM
I went there about a month and a half ago, could not figure anything out since they changed a few things, I like to go over places I've been, drove me crazy for about ten minutes then I just left and havent been back since.
I wish I could help but I have no experience with that sort of ting,
hope it gets fixed.
Please keep us informed, if you like.
Thanks

Ron C

BumbleBeeDave
01-07-2007, 07:26 PM
. . .

billrick
01-23-2007, 01:58 PM
I was about to start a new thread on this very topic, but couldn't have said it better than the Bee-Man: SAVE ROUTESLIP!

Remember when MTBR.com started up? This site could be bigger, and oriented toward road cycling. Social networking? This thing could be "My Space" for roadies. I kid you not, this thing could be great, but the owner is operating solo on a low budget. He needs programming help, a new server, a bigger pipe, etc. In other words, he needs a professional assistance or a corporate sponsor. Trek? SRAM? Serotta? Anyone?

I have been on two group rides so far this year where RouteSlip was instrumental. You can map and pre-scout a new route in minutes using Google maps. You can then click on the turns and add text - presto, you have a very accurate cue sheet. If you are feeling adventurous, click on a nearby town and explore some local riders' favorite routes.

In short, RouteSlip makes you want to RIDE YOUR BIKE. Here is a dirt road route called "Bust Head Rd" that I created recently:

http://www.routeslip.com/routes/19564

Check it out, but be patient. If the page freezes without loading your map, wait a minute and click re-fresh. Again, this guy needs help.

:)

palincss
01-23-2007, 04:52 PM
I was about to start a new thread on this very topic, but couldn't have said it better than the Bee-Man: SAVE ROUTESLIP!

Remember when MTBR.com started up? This site could be bigger, and oriented toward road cycling. Social networking? This thing could be "My Space" for roadies. I kid you not, this thing could be great, but the owner is operating solo on a low budget. He needs programming help, a new server, a bigger pipe, etc. In other words, he needs a professional assistance or a corporate sponsor. Trek? SRAM? Serotta? Anyone?

I have been on two group rides so far this year where RouteSlip was instrumental. You can map and pre-scout a new route in minutes using Google maps. You can then click on the turns and add text - presto, you have a very accurate cue sheet. If you are feeling adventurous, click on a nearby town and explore some local riders' favorite routes.

In short, RouteSlip makes you want to RIDE YOUR BIKE. Here is a dirt road route called "Bust Head Rd" that I created recently:

http://www.routeslip.com/routes/19564

Check it out, but be patient. If the page freezes without loading your map, wait a minute and click re-fresh. Again, this guy needs help.

:)

I like routeslip a lot, and have over 40 routes in it now. But let me sound a small note of caution - it's not quite as simple as it seems here. The problem I'm alluding to is common to routeslip, bikely, gmap-pedometer -- every mashup involving google maps, in fact. maps.google.com itself uses NavTeq map data; the mashups use TeleAtlas. The two do not agree, and TeleAtlas has a distressingly large number of roads on the map that exist only in someone's imagination.

Take this route: http://www.routeslip.com/routes/16394 as a case in point. This is a route from the Capital Crescent Trail to Bethesda, MD - all of about 2 mi through some pretty old established neighborhoods.

Compare the map with maps.google.com's map of the same neighborhood, and you will quickly see why those of us who tried to follow this route to the PPTC Annual Meeting on Saturday were unable to do so. In at least two places, the route goes along streets shown clearly on the TeleAtlas map that simply are not there. Elm St can't be followed 0.7 mi to a left on Glenbrook, because it T's two streets to the east. on Exfair. What's more, if you did find yourself on Glenbrook, you couldn't make a turn on Cornish, because Cornish doesn't connect to Glenbrook at all. (In fact, even on TeleAtlas's map, that particular stretch of Cornish looks "funny", not like any of the other streets - sort of grayed out.)

In this case, it meant a few confusing moments in a neighborhood full of curvy streets (very disconcerting to one who grew up on NYC's grid) until I stumbled by accident on a major road that was on the route and I was able to figure out where I was with no more than a half a bonus mile to pay for it.

But suppose instead, the route was out in the country. When I was scouting this route http://www.routeslip.com/routes/4240 last summer, at least a 70 mile drive from home (back when gas was three bucks and more a gallon) my first draft had the route proceeding along Botha Rd until it changes names and becomes Foxville. Trouble is, on the NavTeq maps, it's clear that Botha doesn't actually connect with Foxville; there's this small matter of a few yards of what appears on a rather low-resolution satellite image to be forest between them. And at this point, you'd be somewhere between three and four miles down Botha with no idea where to go after you backtracked.

If all you had was a cue sheet rather than a map (and that's likely, because none of the mashups give you any easy way to actually print a map) after that experience you might be so spooked you might just turn around and backtrack.

Moral of the story: you can't always trust the map.

You can't always trust even published maps: the St. Mary's County (MD) map given out by the Chamber of Commerce shows at least one imaginary road - another one I tried to use in a route I was laying out. I was so excited at having discovered a new back road way to connect up two familiar points, I called up the county highway dept. to find out if it was paved or dirt -- and was told by the official "Ain't nothin' there but a pig track!"

Check the route on a different mapping database. Check the satellite imagery, if it's any good (and it seems more and more areas are being photographed in high-rez by the day).

BumbleBeeDave
01-24-2007, 12:57 PM
. . . at routeslip.com and will continue to do what I can to help him within my limited ability. He says charging a fee for the site is against his personal wishes--he wants it to be free. But it would also not be possible because of Google's terms of use regarding the hook-in to their map software.

Advertising on the site is apparently not out of the question, but he tells me he has checked with the "big three" of C-Dale, Trek, and Specialized, and none of them want to sponsor the site. But that leaves plenty of companies that would still be possiblities . . . gear manufacturers, clothing, even somebody like the Performance/Nashbar conglomerate.

He needs a White Knight who can sponsor the site and pay for troubleshooting and feature upgrades, if not for daily maintenance. That's why I posted something here. Regardless of any innaccuracies in Google's maps, it's still the best site I've found where I can map out rides. There are so many industry people on this site that I thought someone might know someone who would have some interest in it. I would think any good sized bike company would be interested in the public service and public relations aspects of sponsoring the site. Perhaps someone here can make suggestions as to who might be worth contacting?

Perhaps . . . www.SerottarouteSlip.com? . . .

BBD