PDA

View Full Version : Feeling like a stud the day after a hangover

joosttx
01-21-2020, 08:23 PM
Over the Christmas holidays, I indulged a little more than I should of a couple of times. Now two drinks are overindulging for me. Regardless, a couple of mornings I woke up and spent the rest of the day at half speed.

I have a Whoop which measures my HRV and during the hangover days my HVR is wrecked and my recovery is near death. However, I noticed that the day after my hangover day my recovery and HRV are through the roof-way higher than my normal HRV.

I hypothesize that whatever mechanisms that are helping get over the hangover are up-regulated and have not normalized even after the hangover is gone leading to a supercharged HRV.

Has anyone else ever experience this?

Louis
01-21-2020, 08:54 PM
I can't help primarily because I've never heard the term "HRV" before. I Googled it, so now I know what it stands for, but it isn't obvious to me what the difference it between HRV (time between heartbeats) and heart rate (say, beats / minute, which will allow you to calculate the time between heatbeats).

Can anyone out there provide more details?

I found this:

What is HRV?

HRV is simply a measure of the variation in time between each heartbeat. This variation is controlled by a primitive part of the nervous system called the autonomic nervous system (ANS). It works regardless of our desire and regulates, among other things, our heart rate, blood pressure, breathing, and digestion. The ANS is subdivided into two large components, the sympathetic and the parasympathetic nervous system, also known as the fight-or-flight mechanism and the relaxation response.

And of course, there's this:

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/nursing/practice/resources/cardiology/images/sinus_rhythm.gif

bikinchris
01-21-2020, 08:55 PM
Or the extra day of rest is doing it.

joosttx
01-21-2020, 09:04 PM
Or the extra day of rest is doing it.

nope. that is not it. I had plenty of extra days of resting and no stellar results. Its something unique to a hangover.

AngryScientist
01-21-2020, 09:06 PM
my unscientific field experience agrees.

if i hit it hard at happy hour(s) and suffer through a hangover on day2, i really feel like an iron man on day3.

i've got no data to back this up, but my seat of the pants meters agree.

Vientomas
01-21-2020, 09:14 PM
Cheers!:banana:

kppolich
01-21-2020, 09:18 PM
beer or liquor?

a few beers usually carbs me up nice in the day or two after for some solid fuel.

joosttx
01-21-2020, 09:20 PM
beer or liquor?

a few beers usually carbs me up nice in the day or two after for some solid fuel.

wine and liquor and beer

jghall
01-21-2020, 09:23 PM
wine and liquor and beer

Nothing really to add, but good for you going all in. ;)

Louis
01-21-2020, 09:23 PM
wine and liquor and beer

Beginning of a Joost training ride:

http://gifgifmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/pijani-biciklista.gif

joosttx
01-21-2020, 09:38 PM
Beginning of a Joost training ride:

http://gifgifmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/pijani-biciklista.gif

Ugh I’ve been there. That’s basically every dawnpatrol

joosttx
01-21-2020, 09:41 PM
Nothing really to add, but good for you going all in. ;)

If we are at a dinner party. I’ll have a cocktail fb a glass or two of wine over 4 hrs. That my standard m.o. which typically hurts the next day.

pbarry
01-21-2020, 10:39 PM
:eek: ;) :hello:

adamhell
01-21-2020, 10:44 PM
sometimes the right amount of wine or beer the night before is great for the next day's ride. very slippery slope though.

oldpotatoe
01-22-2020, 06:02 AM
wine and liquor and beer

Oh My...("channeling lions and tigers and bears", oh my:)

Alcohol is a poison..the body reacts by fighting that poison..takes a day or 2..

Why a little alcohol isn't a bad thing..keeps the body strong by making it fight!!

Not sure how serious I am about that..:eek:

fmradio516
01-22-2020, 08:19 AM
Slightly related. I went down to Austin last week to do some mountain biking with a buddy. Well it rained most of the week so only got to go out on one ride. The first night there there, we had a late night out that ended with 2am fast food burgers(yuck!). The next morning, I was real hungover even tho i only had 4(strong) beers. I rarely drink anymore, but ya know, old times...

Well we took advantage of the weather the one day we could actually ride and got up the next morning, chugged some coffee and went out. My buddy rides 6 days a week down there and is kind of a beast on a mountain bike, so im intimidated even while sober. I thought i was done for.. That and the bike i was borrowing had an internally routed dropper so its high position is like the low position on my bike at home. Regardless, i didnt get dropped besides on a couple of really technical climbs that my buddy probably perfected after years of riding them.. I was SO surprised, but now it all makes sense!

redir
01-22-2020, 08:42 AM
I had to Google what HRV was too. My Father has a Honda HRV but that's not it.

Interesting, I have no hypothesis. I will say though that one of the best races I ever did was after a pretty ridiculous night of drinking. The race finished up an 8 mile climb. At 6'4" I am not a climber but I still managed to get 3rd place and go on to win the Omnium. But I've never been able to replicate that :D And now at my age I don't even try.

Seems like a lot of bicycle racers like to drink. My guess is it's because there really is something to it. There is energy in alcohol I suppose.

Bentley
01-22-2020, 09:03 AM
nope. that is not it. I had plenty of extra days of resting and no stellar results. Its something unique to a hangover.

Honestly, I struggle to understand my HRV, never looked at it after a long nite out and then the following recovery day to notice any pattern.

As I understand it, a higher variability is indicative of better recovery, that is that if you see your heart rate move either with effort (increase) and then recover quickly (decrease) it supposed to mean you are recovered (I’ll admit I may have this wrong). I struggle because on days when I have taken it easy and rested I have a good HRV and there are days I am “beat” and it’s not so good.

Overall I use my Whoop as a trend tracker, am I getting enough and good quality sleep, am I over exercising/training. From that perspective I acknowledge it’s been a good device.

Not sure I have added anything to the conversation

glepore
01-22-2020, 09:27 AM
I've been tracking hrv with just my wahoo strap and an app-elite hrv.

Its useful for tracking stress that you may not see/feel-poor sleep due to drinking, a long training block etc.

Its not a be all/end all. There are days when my legs feel absolutely hammered and my hrv is fine. There are days when my hrv says "do nothing" and a short intense workout goes fine, and my hrv is good the next day. However, I find it pretty good at telling me that a big day would be a bad idea.

I wouldn't pay for a Whoop, myself. The price of entry is just too high and I don't like the subscription model. I don't really need to track my sleep, as I have medical issues that disrupt it anyway.