PDA

View Full Version : Cycling Mags...

XXtwindad
01-21-2020, 09:34 AM
I want to subscribe to some bike mags in the New Year. "Bicycling" "Cyclist" and "Peloton" are the top three.

I'm mostly interested in good writing, and I think "Bicycling" has the best journalism. "Cyclist" seems to have the best photography. Not really sold on "Peloton," which seems overly dense with ads.

Other opinions or options?

soulspinner
01-21-2020, 09:51 AM
Road Bike Action

fiamme red
01-21-2020, 09:54 AM
Bicycle Quarterly: https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop/print/print-subscriptions/bicycle-quarterly-subscription/.

verticaldoug
01-21-2020, 09:57 AM
I always found the magazines recycle articles about ever 18 mo. there is only so much you can write about.

m_sasso
01-21-2020, 10:00 AM
Save some trees, get a text reader or computer, paper is so 1900's.

fiamme red
01-21-2020, 10:07 AM
Save some trees, get a text reader or computer, paper is so 1900's.Can we interest you in a subscription, young fella?

XXtwindad
01-21-2020, 10:38 AM
I always found the magazines recycle articles about ever 18 mo. there is only so much you can write about.

That's about a lack of imagination. You just have to dig a little deeper. Two of my favorite examples. This article on Strava:

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a20016291/strava/ I'm intimately familiar with the subject material, having ridden with the rider who killed the man in the Castro (prior to the accident), and having descended (and ascended) South Park many times. I wish I had written the piece.

There's another article I read a few years back that I've searched fruitlessly for. It's about a guy who rides the same MTB trail over and over again in Arkansas. Ostensibly, you'd think it was a boring article. But it wasn't. The ending really affected me, and made me so grateful for my family.

Want a treasure trove of great untapped cycling stories? The "Paceline" is full of them.

XXtwindad
01-21-2020, 10:39 AM

Not a chance. Give me the tactile feel of a newspaper or magazine.

Black Dog
01-21-2020, 10:46 AM
For some good writing you may want to try Roluer.

cred0021
01-21-2020, 10:52 AM
For anybody that does want to use an iPad or other tablet for magazine reading, the Readly app is 9.99/mo - has a lot of biking magazines, Bicycling, Cyclist, Rouleur, etc.

I use Readly with a 12" iPad Pro, about the same size as paper magazine on the screen. Used to waste a lot of money of printed magazines, now $10 a month.

Mark McM
01-21-2020, 10:57 AM

Many fear that the move to digital information delivery is going to lead to the Digital Dark Age, where were future peoples will have no records of the 21st century:

https://www.pri.org/stories/2018-01-01/scientists-warn-we-may-be-creating-digital-dark-age

Contrary to popular ideas, things on the internet don't live forever. Most common digital storage media are not archival. Those CD ROMs and Solid State Drives? The data on them will have decayed away in mere decades (sometimes less). In contrast, paper can last for hundreds of years (and parchment can last for thousands of years).

FlashUNC
01-21-2020, 11:04 AM

Five years ago I'd agree, but the quality's gone a bit downhill overall. The features are weaker, though the interviews are consistently still good.

Hasn't been the same since Herbie Sykes' stuff stopped showing up there.

cash05458
01-21-2020, 11:04 AM
Hands down, Rouleur is the very best mag out there for cycling...pricey and I haven't read it for a few years...but very solid stuff...decent writing, great photography, good interviews...way beyond pro cycling or whatever is the standard one now...Cycle sport used to be pretty ok ( I have I think about 8 or 9 years of them here) but they bit the dust...

R3awak3n
01-21-2020, 11:23 AM
hate to say it but most cycling mags are just ads. You shake the mag and 300 pieces of paper fall out.

Only mag a sub too is BQ. Its a pretty great mag, love the quality and feel of it.

For quality out there there is not a lot to choose. Everyone here says roleur is great.

MattTuck
01-21-2020, 11:24 AM
Josh, if you want some hard hitting commentary on cycling, you may find my brief foray into editorial writing (https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697858545&d=1364835673) thought provoking.

Jeeze, that was 7 years ago... time flies.

As far as magazines, can't help you. Leisure reading is not something I have time for at the moment. ;)

XXtwindad
01-21-2020, 11:49 AM
Josh, if you want some hard hitting commentary on cycling, you may find my brief foray into editorial writing (https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697858545&d=1364835673) thought provoking.

As far as magazines, can't help you. Leisure reading is not something I have time for at the moment. ;)

Always been a fan of your writing, Matt. I'll check it out :)

Mark McM
01-21-2020, 12:02 PM
hate to say it but most cycling mags are just ads. You shake the mag and 300 pieces of paper fall out.

There used to be an old joke:

"What's the difference between Bicycling magazine and Car & Driver magazine?".

"Bicycling magazine has more car ads."

Hawker
01-21-2020, 12:23 PM

What's the most cost effective way to try a one year subscription? Ever any sales or special on-line offers? Is it fairly British-centric?

FlashUNC
01-21-2020, 12:28 PM
What's the most cost effective way to try a one year subscription? Ever any sales or special on-line offers? Is it fairly British-centric?

Very few sales or online offers I've seen other than direct through their site.

Writing skews British but plenty of perspective on the sport worldwide. Interviews with notable names from across cycling, on-scene features from races in the far flung corners of the world, some historical features (though less so recently) that truly were stellar and save for the bookshelf kind of stuff. Herbie Sykes did a four part series on the history of the Peace Race and racing within the GDR that interviewed many of the key people still alive, including Täve Schur, which was just outstanding.

There's less of that these days and more factory tours, which I find less interesting.

XXtwindad
01-21-2020, 12:36 PM

Matt -

That was stellar! Top notch! You took an usual angle, and made it really interesting. The title "Courage Concealed" was fantastic. The two lede paragraphs took us right into the meat of the story. The second one was brilliant.

"I challenge you to find a cycling photograph of the last ten years in which you can identify a raw emotion that a rider is feeling."

"Exhaustion can be both mental and physical. As can determination. To capture both aspects, in a photograph, is a rare treat. Sadly, we won’t see many more photographs like this. And it is because of sunglasses."

My only quibble: I wish it had been a little longer. ***

I wonder why we can't find more writing like this in mainstream bike mags. I suspect its threefold:

1) We live in an attention deficit plagued society. See Jim's (echappist) NYT crossword puzzle post. Emails, Twitter, and Facebook haave made it so that we just can't concentrate for more than five or ten minutes. This is a crisis, frankly, and the ramifications are just beginning to unfold.

2) Too many cyclists that write, rather than writers that cycle. I liked the recent posting on the epic 500 mile bike ride through the French/Italian border. Some of those rides are on my bucket list. But why do we need three essays like that in every issue? How many of us are actually going to do a ride like that?

3) Oh yeah, it's because of advertising. Many of those "epic" rides are actually prosier adverts for the clothing company, bikes, and hotels mentioned in them.

*** One last note about your article, Matt. Are you sure Cancellara wasn't wearing sunglasses to conceal the look on his face that said "*** is my motor doing?" :)

lavi
01-21-2020, 12:43 PM
I don't worry about print products. I WANT to hold them in my hand. Short rotation tree plantation is a real industry entirely aimed at what we hold and what we wipe our asses with. No one is cutting down old growth trees to make magazines.

I like to have a few subscriptions just to have something to read on planes and weekend mornings.

Bicycling Magazine is like cotton candy. It's a cheap, guilty pleasure. I can usually consume an issue in a single sitting. You can find subscriptions for $10/year. Why not. I also think Bill Strickland is a stud. His writing is great..and I just like him. His book: Ten Points, is one to pick up. Don't be confused, this magazine is really aimed at Freds and their ilk. "Serious", oh so serious, folks may think the magazine is below them. Whatever. It's a fun mag.

I also currently have Peleton. I like it to. More "substantial" for the serious.

Both have lots of ads. So what. The ads are nice to look at.

XXtwindad
01-21-2020, 12:46 PM
I don't worry about print products. I WANT to hold them in my hand. Short rotation tree plantation is a real industry entirely aimed at what we hold and what we wipe our asses with. No one is cutting down old growth trees to make magazines.

I like to have a few subscriptions just to have something to read on planes and weekend mornings.

Bicycling Magazine is like cotton candy. It's a cheap, guilty pleasure. I can usually consume an issue in a single sitting. You can find subscriptions for $10/year. Why not. I also think Bill Strickland is a stud. His writing is great..and I just like him. His book: Ten Points, is one to pick up. Don't be confused, this magazine is really aimed at Freds and their ilk. "Serious", oh so serious, folks may think the magazine is below them. Whatever. It's a fun mag.

I also currently have Peleton. I like it to. More "substantial" for the serious.

Both have lots of ads. So what. The ads are nice to look at.

Agree 100%. I'll read anything he writes.

MattTuck
01-21-2020, 01:05 PM
One other point, for better or worse, is that other forms of content have come so far in the last 15-20 years. Documentaries, podcasts, photo-essays and (if guilty pleasures are your thing) instagram pics of bikes and rides are so much easier to produce that there is just a lot more (still pretty good quality) content available.

This video about a pair doing a ski and bike touring trip (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzyK5qr-WC0) was great, I thought. Such an interesting story. And there's a ton more out there telling new stories.

Matthew
01-21-2020, 01:06 PM
I get Road Bike Action and Mountain Bike Action. Covers it all for me. Lots of ads? Sure. But I don't care. It's bike stuff. Isn't that why we're here? Hell, my newest bike is a 2009. But I love looking at and reading about the new stuff. Maybe a little too much gravel and e bike coverage for my liking but that's ok. Got a decent deal by subscribing to both.

Hellgate
01-21-2020, 01:31 PM
No offense but Bicycling blows. Here's where it belongs, in the recycling bin! I only get it because it comes with my USAC License.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200121/ae9109ea2e4a0a0bbe84329cf5867367.jpg

morrisericd
01-21-2020, 02:02 PM
I'll add one - Mountain Flyer. If you like the longer editorials like Rouleur and the pretty pictures like Peloton (articles are too short), then Mountain Flyer is for you!

fignon's barber
01-21-2020, 05:11 PM
No offense but Bicycling blows. Here's where it belongs, in the recycling bin! I only get it because it comes with....

Hah!!!. You're right. Bicycling comes free with a USAC license. My ritual is to walk to the mailbox at the end of the drive, remove said magazine, thumb through it as I walk back up the drive, and throw it in the trash can in the garage as I walk back in. Literally cover anything interesting within 30 seconds, and it's never made it into the house.

cash05458
01-21-2020, 05:17 PM
Hah!!!. You're right. Bicycling comes free with a USAC license. My ritual is to walk to the mailbox at the end of the drive, remove said magazine, thumb through it as I walk back up the drive, and throw it in the trash can in the garage as I walk back in. Literally cover anything interesting within 30 seconds, and it's never made it into the house.

Classic!

I don't know...a little harsh perhaps...I always enjoy the rank your kid's trike reviews and that silver sneaker fiber column...seriously, the AAA mags they send out to everyone each month have more interesting articles...or the Aarp ones for that matter...

Matthew
01-21-2020, 05:35 PM
I am curious as to what they thought were the 10 best bikes ever though.

Hellgate
01-21-2020, 06:30 PM
Classic!

I don't know...a little harsh perhaps...I always enjoy the rank your kid's trike reviews and that silver sneaker fiber column...seriously, the AAA mags they send out to everyone each month have more interesting articles...or the Aarp ones for that matter...After "growing up" on Winning, Bicycling blows chunks. Well, it blew chunks back in the day too. It's a mag for old ladys under the hairdresser's drier...

SpeedyChix
01-21-2020, 08:06 PM
Singletrack mag is an excellent accompaniment to Mountain Flyer. I love Trina Ortega's writing. Even if you're not into mountain bikes...check out Mountain Flyer.

CSKeller
01-21-2020, 10:41 PM
Rouleur is the best!! The only 'magazine' I subscribe to.
Mountain Flyer is great too but I read it occasionally.
Gotta agree with previous opinions, Bicycling is not worth it...only good for people new to cycling.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

72gmc
01-21-2020, 10:51 PM
I think about bikes so often that I want to read about them less than I used to. Adventure Journal and Alpinist are a good change.

I do agree on the Rouleur Peace Race series, and Rouleur in general. I think I still have the Peace Race issues, and a few issues of Embrocation, in the bike cave ...

oldpotatoe
01-22-2020, 05:50 AM

What he said, best writing, IMHO..

XXtwindad
01-22-2020, 12:19 PM
Singletrack mag is an excellent accompaniment to Mountain Flyer. I love Trina Ortega's writing. Even if you're not into mountain bikes...check out Mountain Flyer.

Several people here have mentioned "Mountain Flyer." I'll have to check it out. Thx.

Not sure where all the hatred for "Bicycling" is coming from, but to each...
Bill Strickland, as previously mentioned, is an outstanding writer. Maybe he needs better submissions. Matt, rework your article and pitch it.

Mark McM
01-22-2020, 12:49 PM
For the offroad set, don't forget the east coasts Dirt Rag magazine.

lavi
01-22-2020, 12:52 PM
Interesting that Velonews hasn't been mentioned. Just and observation.

Velonews is the website I visit most frequently for race stuff.

cash05458
01-22-2020, 01:32 PM
After "growing up" on Winning, Bicycling blows chunks. Well, it blew chunks back in the day too. It's a mag for old ladys under the hairdresser's drier...

Yeah, Winning used to be great...cycle sport had a good run as well...but winning was the mag back when I started riding...like 30 something years ago...I still have an old Winning board game here in the shed they put out way back...terrible game of course but still...:) As for Bicycling...I mean it's like reading t.v. guide if you are into fine film...but I will say that Strickland's Ten Points is a very serious piece of literature that goes way beyond cycling...great writer...

fignon's barber
01-22-2020, 02:05 PM
For some reason, I get the digital version of Peloton every month, for free. This has been going on for about four years. Is this normal?

cash05458
01-22-2020, 02:07 PM
For some reason, I get the digital version of Peloton every month, for free. This has been going on for about four years. Is this normal?

as far as I know...not at all! Lucky guy!

Old School
01-22-2020, 06:43 PM
The Red Bulletin (printed by Red Bull of course) is $US10 a year, and has a surprising amount of cycling content. This month is the great, well written, well photographed and interesting article about Colin Strickland.

Hawker
01-23-2020, 12:55 PM

Shhhhhhh.

72gmc
01-23-2020, 01:25 PM
The Red Bulletin (printed by Red Bull of course) is $US10 a year, and has a surprising amount of cycling content. This month is the great, well written, well photographed and interesting article about Colin Strickland.

Hadn't thought of this, even though I watch a lot of their digital content. Thanks!

Hawker
01-23-2020, 01:37 PM
I've subscribed to them all at one time or another since 1975. Have to say that Winning, Velonews and Bicycle Guide are the three that stick out to me as quality publications and journalism, up through the 80s anyway. And I guess Biclycling as well...but not of late.

What Bicycling was in the 70-80s was far superior to what it is today. I still enjoy the occasional feature article but I hate ads that masquerade as "tests, reviews, comparisons and Top 10 lists.

Clancy
01-24-2020, 07:48 AM
Interesting that Velonews hasn't been mentioned. Just and observation.

Velonews is the website I visit most frequently for race stuff.

This

The only mag that I’ve stuck with over the years

Bicycling, as mentioned, tends to recycle topics. Also irritates me to have an “article “ that’s really just a few words splashed across 4 pages of overblown photos. Occasionally there will be a feature article that is actually well written and meaningful.

I do very much enjoy Bicycle Quarterly but I find it somewhat tiring to read the long winded articles. It also seems to be dominated by Jan and his wife to the point where it is turning into a couples travel mag. . The recent issue has an article on SRAM Red 22 Hydro group which I found lacking in any real technical details as in a Zinn piece and overly wordy. Jan also seems to confuse opinion with data.

miksibis
01-24-2020, 08:26 AM
scrolling through this thread has me missing Winning and Bicycle Guide. i used to devour those two.

Hawker
01-31-2020, 10:57 AM
I forgot to mention two British magazines that I like; ProCycling and Cycling Plus.

I particularly like Cycling Plus for their road tests, equipment reviews and general cycling articles. However their touring articles, maps, etc obviously mean nothing to me.

I find these at most Barnes & Nobel book stores but because they are both very expensive I probably only buy one or two issues a year. However both these publications (like British motorcycle publications) remind you of how much larger these sports tend to be across the pond.

rnhood
01-31-2020, 04:19 PM
Cycling Plus, Bicycling and Tour.

lavi
02-01-2020, 04:46 PM

I get this too. I think it was from a subscription I had years ago when they first started digital as a bolt on the the print edition.

I’m not complaining.

I still like my $10 Bicycling sub for use in the throne room. It’s either that, or reading this forum.

Hawker
02-01-2020, 05:18 PM
I get this too. I think it was from a subscription I had years ago when they first started digital as a bolt on the the print edition.

I’m not complaining.

I still like my $10 Bicycling sub for use in the throne room. It’s either that, or reading this forum.

Yep, I've had my laptop in there reading this as well. :)

Old School
02-01-2020, 05:35 PM

I’m not complaining.

Bicycling has really stepped up of the writing and story quality of their content, since their "reshuffling".

of course I am not referring to the "branded content" and "advertorials"

pdxharth
02-01-2020, 06:08 PM
Unfortunately, Dirt Rag just shut down their printing press (and pixel press). Their email said it was the end of the run. I’ll tip my cap to them, though. Been reading on and off for 25 years and I’ll miss it.

For the offroad set, don't forget the east coasts Dirt Rag magazine.

peanutgallery
02-01-2020, 09:51 PM
End of DirtFest, too

RIP

Unfortunately, Dirt Rag just shut down their printing press (and pixel press). Their email said it was the end of the run. I’ll tip my cap to them, though. Been reading on and off for 25 years and I’ll miss it.

Wakatel_Luum
02-02-2020, 12:43 AM
I used to love Winning, Velonews, Bicycle Guide and Cycling Weekly (UK)...I’ve kept all my old issues from the 80’s to the mid 90’s and thrown the rest out...

The quality from magazines these days feels as cheap as the frames that come out of Asia...I feel sorry for the youth of today, they’ve really missed out...

m_sasso
02-02-2020, 04:39 AM
Anyone care to post their opinions on Conquista?

https://conquista.cc

redir
02-03-2020, 08:45 AM
Yeah I saw that on their Facebook page. What a bummer I really liked Dirt Rag over the last ten years or so.

MikeD
02-03-2020, 09:16 AM
I used to love Winning, Velonews, Bicycle Guide and Cycling Weekly (UK)...I’ve kept all my old issues from the 80’s to the mid 90’s and thrown the rest out...

The quality from magazines these days feels as cheap as the frames that come out of Asia...I feel sorry for the youth of today, they’ve really missed out...

Very little content too, and not limited to cycling magazines. Takes me 5 minutes to read through a magazine these days. Most articles aren't worth reading; not even worth the cost of subscription. I guess one can blame the internet for that.