PDA

View Full Version : STOP improving things

Too Tall
01-05-2007, 07:07 PM
:||: RantModeOn :|:
***? All my bibs are shredded and have over the past yr. purchased one of everything promising...it all buh lows except for two semi bright lights. Boure' is real decent however not what I plan to ride across the USA in. Shining light DESCENTE Cold Out bibs with the 2005 "Phantom" Chamois :) Woo woo, no seam, flat as a pancake and min. padding...they friggin rawk.

You'd think this was easy non? Call excel and melt my cc card but Nooooooo. Descent "improved" the phantom chamois and they use that word...what NERVE!!!! Now it has a seam :rolleyes:

I GIVE. My kingdom for things the way they were. Just stop, do you hear me???? Just stop.

Sob.

:||: RantModeOff :|:

Louis
01-05-2007, 07:17 PM
Luddite.

Where would the economy be if people didn't get a new car / bike / whatever every other year?

saab2000
01-05-2007, 08:58 PM
The best shorts I ever had had really thin chamois/padding. Almost none. With good shorts and a good seat you don't need the sewn-in diaper that most shorts have become.

I expect to shortly have to try some Boure. They are made in the US by a real cyclist (Ned Overend's company I think) and are affordable and have thin padding.

Those combined with my Pantani-era Turbomatic saddles should have my tight li'l butt happy.

I hear ya on the 'improvements'. What improvements???? Some technology has not 'improved' anything.

manet
01-05-2007, 09:11 PM
even implants have seams

djg
01-05-2007, 09:25 PM
:||: RantModeOn :|:
***? All my bibs are shredded and have over the past yr. purchased one of everything promising...it all buh lows except for two semi bright lights. Boure' is real decent however not what I plan to ride across the USA in. Shining light DESCENTE Cold Out bibs with the 2005 "Phantom" Chamois :) Woo woo, no seam, flat as a pancake and min. padding...they friggin rawk.

You'd think this was easy non? Call excel and melt my cc card but Nooooooo. Descent "improved" the phantom chamois and they use that word...what NERVE!!!! Now it has a seam :rolleyes:

I GIVE. My kingdom for things the way they were. Just stop, do you hear me???? Just stop.

Sob.

:||: RantModeOff :|:

Have you tried the descente aero-x bibs? No seams in the pad, and I think a few places are still carrying last year's model. You could order some from performance, try them out, and, if they s_ck, take them back (that's the beauty of a huge mail-order biz with an easy guarantee).

bironi
01-05-2007, 10:15 PM
I like the Assos with the fat, no seam insert. These are the ones they recommend for long mileage comfort. I know that many don't like a thick pad, but it works for me.

Earlier this year, I posted pics of a ride on Mt Rainier. I was wearing these bibs, and received some comments about how stupid they looked. They did look like bib hot pants, and I was often a bit embarrassed to be seen off the bike in them. Then at Christmas, I was given the book, "Cycling's Golden Age", which covers the post war to 1967. Every pro was wearing hot pants, and front pocket jerseys with botton closures.

Fashion changes, and most follow. Does that mean it is an improvement?

Byron :beer:

Kevan
01-05-2007, 10:28 PM
to complain.

Ti Designs
01-05-2007, 11:20 PM
Where would the economy be if people didn't get a new car / bike / whatever every other year?

I'm not sure how to answer that. I can say that I don't take part in our consumer economy as it stands. I don't get anything new until there's a reason. The old one would have to stop working, or the new one would need to have some serious advantages - and that's so rare.

My car is a 1988 Honda CRX Si. It gets better gas mileage than the new Honda hybrid. It happens to weigh 850 pounds less and is over a second quicker from zero to 60 and I can fit two bikes in back. Is newer better?

My bike is a mix of 9-speed Dura-Ace and Ultegra. In addition to the cost of admission, 10-speed would cost me 300% more in cassettes and chains. What do I get? An extra gear. I ride a fixed gear 6 months out of the year, 9-speed seems like too many gears. Enough is enough...

Consumer electonics and computers have to be the biggest offenders of the "replace it every 6 months" rule. I got a new Ipod nano for christmas this year. It requires Mac OS 10.3.9 or later. My 6 month old Mac Mini runs OS 10.3.7, so I would need the update, which is free. I would also need the newer version of my midi software and none of my old hardware is supported. So this free upgrade would cost me about $400, which is what I paid for the Mac Mini in the first place.

If there is a bright spot to be seen, it's that clothing shifts from new and crappy back to tested and true from one year to the next. As much as the marketing department spins the stuff, consumers know what sucks and they vote with their credit cards. Can you wait a year?

Too Tall
01-06-2007, 05:34 AM
DJG - You call that no seams??? He!! it puts to shame some medievil torture devices. Your experience may differ. Saddly the ASSOS F1 13 S2 is darn close to right. How can right be so wrong????

TiDesigns - If two cheapskates luddites (me and you) are in the same room does the price of out of fashion goods go up or down ;) ?

Fugttetabout recommends, show me a quality bib with NO seams in the chamois. Good luck.

Climb01742
01-06-2007, 05:51 AM
agree TT. my all-time fav shorts were the PI ones with the seamless and sorta thin (what felt like) real chamois that they sold maybe 5-6 years ago. now there's nothing but synthetic stuff, with either seams or ridges. have you tried any of the giordana shorts? i have good luck with them lately. but you should get someone to sponsor your butt on your cross country ride. quite a torture test for any shorts...and i mean that with love. ;)

djg
01-06-2007, 06:38 AM
DJG - You call that no seams??? He!! it puts to shame some medievil torture devices. Your experience may differ. Saddly the ASSOS F1 13 S2 is darn close to right. How can right be so wrong????

Fugttetabout recommends, show me a quality bib with NO seams in the chamois. Good luck.

Alright already... how about last year's coldout bibs on closeout for 75 bucks:

http://www.worldcycling.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=DCTBS&Affiliate=EMAIL

Moosedryvr
01-06-2007, 04:10 PM
Boure Elite bibs ROCK! Nice, thin, flat, seamless chamois that works great when mated with my fizik Aliante saddle.
Oddly enough, I didn't care for the thin seamless type of chamois nearly as much when I was riding an "anatomical" seat with a cutout (a Koobi). With that seat I preferred a more "modern" sculpted chamois, my favorite being in a pair of Louis Garneu that I got as part of a RAGBRAI team. But when I switched to the Aliante I immediately realized that the modern chamois wasn't going to work; for me smooth saddle = smooth, seamless chamois. Tried the Boure bibs and don't plan to switch anytime soon. Only others I would like to try are the Assos or the Exte Ondo w/ their "Golden" chamois, but am unwilling to shell out the extra $$ when the Boures work great and are handmade here.

SPG

Too Tall
01-07-2007, 11:28 AM
DJG that is sucha goo dealio. Thanks. It is a really good chamois...infact these are the shorts I wore yesterday on the century :)

One of my athletes put me onto the DeMarchi Contour Plus. They apparently own the mfg. for chamois in their own brand, Assos and some others. Look ok, I'll give it a shot.

Does anyone recall ever having these problems when we rode leather???

Too Tall
01-11-2007, 05:06 PM
Some progress to report.
Demarchi contour Plus....got em' Hate em. They burn well :) Nuff said.

I got in the 56 and started hunting. Looked at everything at every bike shoip I could find and found Nike. Go figure. The pad is quite nice looking. Pretty flat, not perfect however well done. haha, we'll see...we'll see.

F.Y.I. one bonus from the Demarchi experiment was that I found that cytech is the maker of a huge range of chamois and darn if they don't look exactly like Assos and a few other fav. brands. I'll give a link so you can download. Happy hunting.

http://www.ahealinghand.com/images/general/bikes/cytech.pdf

bironi
01-11-2007, 05:45 PM
scares me :eek: :eek: :eek: