PDA

View Full Version : Ottrott GS Conversion to ST Is It Possible?

Krenovian
01-20-2020, 09:04 AM
I understand that there was an option to remove the ST bearing and replace it with a bolt on the Ottrott SE rear end. Is it possible to remove the bolt on a GS version of the Ottrott and mount a bearing thereby converting it to an ST rear ended?

happycampyer
01-20-2020, 10:03 AM
This question comes up from time to time. The short answer is “no”:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=241241

The long answer is “yes,” but you’d really need to know what you were doing (or the person you sent the frame to would) in order to modify the seatstay. Whoever does the modification would also need to have the proper tooling, etc. From Brian Smith’s explanation in the linked thread, it doesn’t sound like it would be worth it.

It would be interesting to hear from someone on the inside, but my guess is that the decision to make the seatstay part just different enough was deliberate. The SE cost significantly more than a GS, and the ST bearing was one of the distinguishing differences between the two models.

Krenovian
01-20-2020, 11:21 AM
Thanks for your response and the link happy camper. I appreciate it.

RedRider
01-20-2020, 12:11 PM
If you want to change the ride of your Ottrott I would suggest looking at wheel-tire options. Changing wheels will have a huge impact but just different tires will be noticed. The right tires inflated to the correct pressure for your weight and riding conditions will definitely have a positive impact on your ride. Enjoy!

Veloo
01-20-2020, 07:03 PM
Learn something new everyday.
Always wondered why there was such a huge bolt used on those dropouts. Had no idea there was a bearing behind it.