PDA

View Full Version : Change wheels/tires?

DeBike
01-19-2020, 02:34 PM
I have a 2001 Lemond Tourmalet that I recently rebuilt. The wheels that came with the bike, when I purchased it used, were not matching or in very good shape. I have tried a couple different sets of used wheels that I already owned.

This morning I decided to try a set of Campagnolo Zondas that I purchased new a couple of months ago, but have not used much. I mounted a pair of Panaracer Gravel Kings, 26mm, on the wheels and installed them on the bike. This is my first time using the Gravel Kings. I went out and got in a 25 mile ride. What a difference in the ride! The Zondas are light, stiff and a couple mm wider than the other wheels, Open Pro/Ultegra. The GKs, running at 95 psi, handle and corner really well, and they smoothed out the ride much better than the other tires, 25mm Serfas Seca. I have not been a fan of the Seca tires since I first used them last year, but I really like the Open pro/Ultegra wheelset.

I am a bit surprised at how much difference there was in today's ride and the previous two rides I have had on the Tourmalet. I think I will stick with today's setup for the bike. I am no longer going to wonder if it is worth trying a different set of wheels/tires that I already have. It may not have the same effect the next time, but it answers the question.

Hank Scorpio
01-19-2020, 02:50 PM
Look at the hollow right in your second picture. For the dream!

AngryScientist
01-19-2020, 02:52 PM
Serfas Secas are entry level, garbage tires. the sooner you get rid of them, the better you will be. those are intended to be cheap tires at the LBS for non-serious cyclists.

absolutely, changing the wheels/tires is easily and by a far margin the single biggest variable on a bike that will effect how it feels riding.

zondas with those 26 GKs were a good choice.

AngryScientist
01-19-2020, 02:53 PM
Look at the hollow right in your second picture. For the dream!

haha, i noticed the same thing!