PDA

View Full Version : Syncros Alloy Stem installation

guru
01-19-2020, 12:42 PM
Looking at purchasing a new Syncros alloy stem. The online photos show the top 2 bolts of the 4 bolt face plate indicating no gap.
All the stems that I have installed required even torque applied to all 4 bolts. Does the top part of these stems require it to be flush on the top and a gap remaining on the bottom. Installing carbon bars maybe with a Syncros stem

Gummee
01-19-2020, 03:06 PM
I don't remember specifically which of my stems it was, but there was one stem that did that 'tighten the two top bolts, then snug up the bottom bolts' thing.

May have been Syncros. Sounds like something they'd do

M

Mark McM
01-19-2020, 06:50 PM
Curious and curiouser.

I took a quick look at the Syncros web site, and sure enough, most of the pictures of stems showed the one side of the face plate flush, and the a gap on the other side. Many company web sites have links to product documentation (user manuals, instructions, etc.), but I couldn't find any on the Syncros site.

A quick google search for "Syncros stem instructions" found this, on the Canyon Bikes web site. It appears to be installation instructions for Syncros products.

http://media.canyon.com/download/manuals/SYNCROS-Bar-EN.pdf

Under the section "Installing the handlebars," it said this:

Tighten the greased bolts of the stem faceplate with your fingers by a few turns. Gently tighten all four bolts with a quality torque wrench (a) until they are snug and verify that the upper and lower clamping slots are identical in width. Do not exceed the prescri-bed tightening torque.

Tighten the fixing bolts evenly in a cross pattern, i.e. alternately and in small increments to the minimum limit of the recommen-ded tightening torque.

I have no idea if this applies to your particular stem or not.

guru
01-20-2020, 11:39 AM
If you look on the Syncros website both RR stems have No Gap stamped/printed on the top right side of the stem.